Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 11-29-17, 05:04 PM
All District

whodey86 is on a distinguished road
Bob Schwab Classic

At Bishop Fenwick HS 12/2.

Teams listed
1 Archbishop Alter
2 Bellefontaine
3 Belmont
4 Bishop Fenwick
5 Brookville
6 Celina
7 Connor/KY
8 Dayton Christian
9 Deer Park
10 Delta
11 Greenon
12 Lebanon
13 Lima Central Catholic
14 Little Miami
15 Madison
16 Meadowdale
17 Middletown
18 Moeller
19 Monroe
20 National Trail
21 Northwest
22 Purcell-Marion
23 Ross
24 Scott/KY
25 Springboro
26 Strivers
27 Sycamore
28 Talawanda
29 Thurgood Marshal
30 Tippecanoe
31 Troy Christian
32 Twin Valley South
33 Walnut Hills
34 Winton Woods
35 Withrow

Haven't seen any previews.. Any insights?
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-17, 06:30 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Man, that's a lot of entries. Start the season off, Game of Thrones style.
Old 11-29-17, 10:10 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I believe a lot of the bigger schools are sending their JV or Varsity B teams as they're also listed at other tournaments. But even if that's the case you're still going to have a great deal of talent with 35 schools represented.
Old 11-30-17, 07:12 AM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
Yes, probably waaaayyyyy too many teams....especially for a one day event, but I guess it's all about the $$$$$
Old 11-30-17, 08:33 AM
All Region

Dell 112 is on a distinguished road
Never seen so many teams for an opening season tourney on one day .
Old 11-30-17, 10:52 AM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstacked View Post
Yes, probably waaaayyyyy too many teams....especially for a one day event, but I guess it's all about the $$$$$
$250 entry fee
34 paying teams (obviously not Fenwick)

$8500 in entry fees
Old 11-30-17, 01:02 PM
All Ohio

93 red ls is on a distinguished road
He is also running the Bob Schwab MS event tomorrow starting at 4pm. Pretty good list of teams for it as well.
Old 11-30-17, 01:13 PM
Varsity

ZMonster is on a distinguished road
Will be interesting to see how this thing is run.
Old 11-30-17, 01:28 PM
All Ohio

Unstacked is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing it's a ton of work, but counting gate fees and concessions they should make over $15,000 in two days! Of course they will have to pay expenses like ref fees and such.
Old 11-30-17, 11:53 PM
All American

Last year they did pools before then breaking them into small 4 man brackets for placing. Last year lists 25 teams though.

And I don't have a problem with schools hosting large events with the purpose to raise money for the program...as long as it's organized. This money goes a long way in terms of providing entry fee, food, travel expenses and gear for a team that is often on the bottom of the booster donation list.
Old 12-02-17, 11:05 PM
All District

#Hashtag is on a distinguished road
Any results?
Old 12-02-17, 11:10 PM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Hashtag View Post
Any results?
They're still wrestling... might have ran faster if their tournament director and head coach didn't run away and hide in the band room...

Actually scratch that.. other coaches saved the day to salvage what was left.
Old 12-03-17, 01:10 AM
All American

Just looked at the entry grid and...who's idea was this?
Old 12-03-17, 10:15 AM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
Any results from this?
Old 12-03-17, 10:25 AM
All Ohio

tkdn_wizard is on a distinguished road
I doubt any results get posted. It was such a mess. The last I knew 8 teams left the tournament before it was over, actually before semis started, which was about 8 pm.
Old 12-03-17, 10:35 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure we will ever get any team results from this. They tried running 2 tourneys at the same time in a flight A and B then merged them for the semis but the computer system crashed and they tried to finish it up by hand and they did the best they could. I give the Fenwick coach, Adam credit for realizing that they bit off a little more than they could handle and he owned up to it. He did the best he could do in a tough situation. I'm sure there were quite a few upset parent and coaches all around, heck coaches were pulling their teams half way through the tourney and going home. I had two kids who didn't wrestle their first match until 3:00, but at the end of the day there were some good matches and a lot of kids got to wrestle. Sometimes we try things and they just don't work and then we learn from it next time. Give Fenwick a little credit for providing an opportunity for many kids to wrestle. I'm sure things will be different next year.
Old 12-03-17, 10:41 AM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
I'm not sure we will ever get any team results from this. They tried running 2 tourneys at the same time in a flight A and B then merged them for the semis but the computer system crashed and they tried to finish it up by hand and they did the best they could. I give the Fenwick coach, Adam credit for realizing that they bit off a little more than they could handle and he owned up to it. He did the best he could do in a tough situation. I'm sure there were quite a few upset parent and coaches all around, heck coaches were pulling their teams half way through the tourney and going home. I had two kids who didn't wrestle their first match until 3:00, but at the end of the day there were some good matches and a lot of kids got to wrestle. Sometimes we try things and they just don't work and then we learn from it next time. Give Fenwick a little credit for providing an opportunity for many kids to wrestle. I'm sure things will be different next year.
Just wondering I was thinking about this tournament possibly for next year. Just wanted to look at results and hear some feedback.

I wasn't sure how things would run with so many teams
Old 12-03-17, 12:24 PM
Freshman

TheRealWjjsj is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Sorry but you're just being nice. He didn't own up to it. Hiding in a room trying to "fix" the tournament is insane... and he never fixed it. Other coaches began making matches and even then Fenwick found a way to screw it up.

Let me ask you coach--- if you team a 20 team tournament this year and it went 15 hours would you run that same tournament the next year but add 15 additional teams?

This is what's killing our sport. Don't attempt to run an event that you can't run because it's "how you fund your program." Many wrestlers there yesterday just participated in their first "tournament." 35 teams in a gym with one set of bleachers, wrestlers and fans on the mats because of nowhere to sit. Fenwick volunteers literally passing out because of the heat. Kids weighing in at 7:30am but not wrestling until after 4pm... if they got wrestle at all.

That's not even mentioning how some kids who went undefeated didn't wrestle in the "medal" matches.

All of the excuses about "for the kids" fall short because I know for a fact they didn't check weigh-in sheets regardless of coaches making scratches. Coaches didn't get brackets to make changes and when they approached the tournament manager once kids were eventually called for matches in the bullpen they were told "it was their lucky day."

I'm sure it needs not be mentioned but if this tournament exists, R.I.P. Bob Schwab, stay fat from it.

I'd also rethink their dual team tourney if I were a coach entered in it. Overpriced and they'll find a way to screw that up to.
Old 12-03-17, 05:42 PM
Varsity

sexton is on a distinguished road
I was not at the meet this year, but heard all about it. Even last year it was hectic, but I truly think that this is the downfall of baumspage. I absolutely hate using baumspage. Trackwrestling is much superior and can be changed on the fly. It seems like when one thing goes bad on baumspage nothing can be corrected. I have ran quite a few tournaments now, a couple with about a 10 minute notice and it ran smooth using track. I am assuming there are other programs just like track out there but I havent taken the time to look, why try and reinvent the wheel??? Just my 2 cents. If the fenwick coaches want to be able to do lots of custom brackets and fix errors they need to switch up the programs.
Old 12-03-17, 10:28 PM
All Ohio

CoachCoffey is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Apology

We have already contacted each team in attendance to offer an apology. My hope is that anyone else in attendance see this public apology.

Wrestlers, Parents, and Fans:

From the bottom of my heart, I offer apologies on behalf of Bishop Fenwick High School, Our Athletic Department, and Our Wresting program. I accept FULL responsibility for the events this weekend.

The fact that Coaches, Fans and most importantly WRESTLERS (Some of whom are new to the sport) weighs heavy on my conscious. I certainly hope that the debacle this Saturday does not color our great sport as anything but that………... “Great”, to new Wrestlers and their families.

We hope that the issues in the administration of our tournament did not affect your perception of our program or our working relationship. I want to clarify what actually took place on Saturday 12-2-17, as I obviously did a poor job communicating the chain of events to those in attendance.

We plan to make all necessary corrections to the administration of the event to ensure these issues never take place again.

•Baumspage “Crashed” prior to the generation of brackets.

•Once we got things up and running again “Seeded” wrestlers were placed in both the main bracket and “extras” bracket.

•With the tournament already running well behind we chose to run the two “Flights” separately with an attempt to merge them for finals.

• At that point Baumspage “Crashed” again, forcing us to make the B flight pools by hand. Simply, and honestly we were unprepared for this.

•Likely our BIGGEST mistake was not taking time to update those in attendance (Especially our visiting coaches and staff) of the issues and greatly altered time table.

To be clear, we should NOT blame baumspage or our tournament scorer for this. We should have had a designated individual scoring the tournament by hand as a back up. At the onset of computer issues we could have simply run the tournament by hand (albeit with a slight delay).

I would like to restate that the issues this weekend CLEARLY stemmed from the lack of strong plan B. More importantly, our heist to rectify the situation as we went while obviously neglecting inform our visiting coaches properly magnified the issues.

Again I hope that you accept my apology and wish you the best of luck this season.

Adam

Adam Coffey
Bishop Fenwick Wrestling
513-919-7538
fenwickwresting@gmail.com
Old 12-04-17, 07:31 AM
All World

wash.c.h.legend is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear it went down bad Adam. There is a lot of pressure in running a tournament and you always hope it goes on without a hitch. But there is always that thought that something could go wrong.
Iíll see you at Miami Trace

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-17, 07:48 AM
All District

Is there any truth that this tourney might not count on the schedule? I think one of the officials mentioned that he was going to contact Beau Rugg and see if it wouldn't count or reduce it to one point on the schedule since it really just became a "glorified scrimmage" since no team scores were kept. Some coaches were writing up their own bout sheets and just matching kids up to get them matches so they could leave.
Old 12-04-17, 08:24 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Is there any truth that this tourney might not count on the schedule? I think one of the officials mentioned that he was going to contact Beau Rugg and see if it wouldn't count or reduce it to one point on the schedule since it really just became a "glorified scrimmage" since no team scores were kept. Some coaches were writing up their own bout sheets and just matching kids up to get them matches so they could leave.
Not trying to be a downer but good luck with that.

Weigh-in sheet + exceeding 3 hour scrimmage limitation = points used.

tournament format + 2 or matches = 2 point event
Old 12-04-17, 08:35 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
Not trying to be a downer but good luck with that.

Weigh-in sheet + exceeding 3 hour scrimmage limitation = points used.

tournament format + 2 or matches = 2 point event
It doesn't matter to me either way because a lot of my kids got matches, but some schools left early and kids didn't even wrestle so for them, it might be useful to get the points back. How did the Taylor Inv. go?
Old 12-04-17, 10:29 AM
All World

coolguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
How did the Taylor Inv. go?
No complaints from us. Ran smooth, kids got 3-5 matches and my kids were back at school by 5:30p.