Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-08-09, 09:04 PM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
Chance to see a former Comet great play.

Recent all-Ohio Solon Comet standout, Steve Valentino will soon be starting his senior season at University of Dayton. Last year he was named 2008 All-PFL 1st Team receiver. He also returned kicks, and probably much more that GrandPa1 could tell us. Steve had a wonderful season the year before also, but this is the time to go see a Dayton Flyer football game.

Sept. 19th Dayton will be in Pittsburgh to play Robert Morris. Kickoff is at 12:00 noon. This is the closest game to N.E. Ohio. Dayton is a bit farther( as you all know) than Pittsburgh.

Anyone wanting to go, post on here, or PM me. Tickets can be purchased for us. Comet Flyer
Old 07-09-09, 09:47 AM
All Region

cometcharlie is on a distinguished road
Hurri comet

I'll be there,It'll be great to see you and the old gang if they go. Until then take care of yourself. GO COMETS ----Also FLYERS
Old 07-09-09, 10:12 AM
All Yappi

Well so far Charlie, it looks like just me, and possibly Comet Ron. But it's w-a-y early. No matter, I'll be there. (health permitting) GO FLYERS!
Old 07-10-09, 11:07 AM
All Yappi

Thanks Charlie. Steve was and is one of the special one's to play sports at Solon. I remember him trying to tackle Anton Narinsky,6'4" load from Kenston when Stevie was all of 137 lbs as a soph. As I remember he made the tackle.

Hmmm, it will be something if Joe Janasek is playing as a freshman.
Old 07-17-09, 02:46 PM
All Yappi

Well, Comet Ron cannot go. He informed me today that Saturday is Rosh Hashanah. I wonder if Dana Banda is free to go? (Lady Comet hoops star)
Old 08-01-09, 04:34 PM
All American

Grandpa1
New Flyers get numbers

The Dayton University football numbers for this season has been posted. You may have heard of a few of these boys from the area. Bet you didn't know how many went to UD.

Dayton Football Roster Numbers 2009

1d –Matt Shurtleff, SO, St. Ignatius
6 – Nick Collins, SR, Padua
7 – Steve Valentino, SR, Solon
15d- Paul Fackler, FR, Lutheran West
16- Steve Wirkus, JR, Brecksville-Broadview
19d- Joe Janasek, FR, Solon
20- Sean Belanger, SO, Rocky River
33d- Tom Hunt, FR, St. Ignatius
34d- Nick Shurtleff, SO, St. Ignatius
35-Brian Cugliari, SO, St. Ignatius
49-Nate Miller, JR, Medina
59- Patrick Sweigert, SO, Lake Catholic
64- Bill Petraiuolo, SO, Mayfield
70- Jamie Mewhinney, SO, St. Edwards
81- Matt Redmond, FR, Walsh Jesuit
86- Tyler Schutz, SO Mentor
90- Dan Norton, JR, Lakewood
91- Charlie Vassey, JR, Chagrin Falls

d-denotes duplicate number
Old 08-01-09, 04:44 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa1 View Post
The Dayton University football numbers for this season has been posted. You may have heard of a few of these boys from the area. Bet you didn't know how many went to UD.

Dayton Football Roster Numbers 2009

1d –Matt Shurtleff, SO, St. Ignatius
6 – Nick Collins, SR, Padua
7 – Steve Valentino, SR, Solon
15d- Paul Fackler, FR, Lutheran West
16- Steve Wirkus, JR, Brecksville-Broadview
19d- Joe Janasek, FR, Solon
20- Sean Belanger, SO, Rocky River
33d- Tom Hunt, FR, St. Ignatius
34d- Nick Shurtleff, SO, St. Ignatius
35-Brian Cugliari, SO, St. Ignatius
49-Nate Miller, JR, Medina
59- Patrick Sweigert, SO, Lake Catholic
64- Bill Petraiuolo, SO, Mayfield
70- Jamie Mewhinney, SO, St. Edwards
81- Matt Redmond, FR, Walsh Jesuit
86- Tyler Schutz, SO Mentor
90- Dan Norton, JR, Lakewood
91- Charlie Vassey, JR, Chagrin Falls

d-denotes duplicate number

I saw at least half those guys play in high school. None was better than Steve.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-01-09 at 07:20 PM.
Old 08-02-09, 03:01 PM
Freshman

SCCOMETS09 is on a distinguished road
Hurri-Comet, Joe Janasek is going to be redshirting his freshman year at Dayton. He should probably see some PT next year or the year following.
Old 08-02-09, 03:04 PM
Freshman

And Tyler Schutz of Mentor was pretty darn good Metacomet. I'm not saying he was better then Steve, but he was a incredible for Mentor.
Old 08-02-09, 03:19 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCOMETS09 View Post
Hurri-Comet, Joe Janasek is going to be redshirting his freshman year at Dayton. He should probably see some PT next year or the year following.
Well, one thing I know for sure , the Dayton Flyers are going to have one heck of a football player with Joe J. on the field next three or four years.
Old 08-02-09, 04:02 PM
Freshman

Agreed, Hurri-Comet. Joe will be a great fit at Dayton.

And Metacomet, I did watch Steve play. I completely agree that his talent was superior to Schutz's. All I said was was not to overlook him and that he was very good for Mentor. And as a Solon Comet I was taught to RESPECT my opponents and play with pride. Never did I ever say that I supported Mentor. If you can't appreciate good high school football players just because they are from a differing school then that's a shame. Both of us dislike Mentor, but I am sure we both can agree that Bart Tanski was a great quarterback, right?
Old 08-02-09, 05:19 PM
Freshman

Hahah, oh well. I wasn't looking to pick a fight, I was simply saying that Tyler Schutz was very good. I wasn't trying to take anything away from Steve Valentino. In fact I said that Steve had superior skills to Schutz. My first comment was just saying that there were some other good players on the list of Dayton players. No harm meant. We are cheering for the same team, lighten up a bit .
Old 08-02-09, 07:05 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Good Solon scholar-athletes

In the three seasons I've followed Dayton football, one freshman became a starter (cornerback) early on because of an injury and no more than two per season ever saw any playing time. They end up eventually with from 6 to 12 fifth-year seniors because of the red-shirting.

The increase in strength from incoming frosh to start of a sophomore season is amazing! All add weight but for some it is difficult. The winter work is 5 days a week from the return to campus after New Years to the April spring game. That's where the change occurs! Our 172# local kid leg pressed 300# for 50 repetitions in competition for a cancer cause. That was second place to a 249# lineman. No UD player from Ohio has run faster, jumped higher, threw the 20# ball farther or did a quicker shuttle for the past three years. Go Comets...Go Flyers
Old 08-02-09, 08:41 PM
All Yappi

Hmmm. Not the same from the "U" in South Florida. Many freshman have had to play down there, and became starters in frosh year, 'true freshmen". And it's because recruiting by previous coach went to -----in-a-handbasket.

It's preferable by far to have upper-classmen playing and stocking red-shirts. Miami used to be able to, Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee hardly saw the field until they were true sophs. and others whom are now playing in the NFL, waited until they were juniors to get to play.

That Flyer "local" with all those reps, and numbers, couldn't possibly be that Solon kid with the same last name as the 1920's heart throb Rudolph Valentino could it?
Old 08-02-09, 09:08 PM
Freshman

Firstly Metacomet, I am entitled to voice my opinion on this forum just as much you are. That being said, I said that I thought that there were four games that I thought would be close. There is no denying that for the past three years Mentor has had Solon's number. They have beaten them five times in the past three seasons. Personally, I hope they win, and I'll be cheering for them, but Mentor is always a tough game. They are always very well coached and have solid talent at the very least. If you deny that, then you simply don't know football. Also, you talk as if players and coaches actually listen and care about what we, as posters, say about them. As a former player, I can tell you that nothing you say on here is going to change Solon football. Absolutely NOTHING. I simply responded to someones question about if this was going to be "the greatest team in school history." You act as if I've told you the apocalypse is coming, relax.
Old 08-02-09, 09:44 PM
Freshman

Hahah alright fine with me. And you are most definitely the one with the problem with me. Maybe you should go back and read the dialogue again. You have been attacking me ever since I've posted on this forum. I am, and will always be a Solon Comet. But to say that I can't say anyother team is good is ridiculous.
Old 08-02-09, 10:01 PM
Freshman

Alright think what you like. Ever since I've arrived on this forum you've attacked everything I've said. Honestly, I don't have a problem with you as long as you can respectfully disagree with my posts. I just don't like to be verbally attacked for no reason.
Old 08-03-09, 12:09 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
As for the UD roster, it is good to see some NEO talent on there. It is good to see these kids found a solid Ohio program to play football after high school. Good luck to Steve, Tyler, and the rest of the Dayton football team in 2009.

Last edited by cardzfan1234; 08-12-09 at 11:26 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 01:35 PM
Freshman

I believe it was a combination of that and my predictions for the Comet's this year. I predicted Solon to have four tough games with Strongsville, Mentor, Brunswick, and Nordonia. I said that I thought they would prevail in games against Brunswick and Strongsville, with losses coming from Mentor and Nordonia. I think the comment that really made him mad was when I stated that "Mentor has had Solon's number for the past three seasons, winning five straight in the series." Understandably, Metacomet is undoubtedly the most devout Solon fan out there. I think there was just a rift in communication. I am and will always be a strong supporter of Comet football.
Old 08-11-09, 04:39 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
I just want to apologize to everyone for losing my cool. I esecially want to apologize to SCOMETS09. I let honest discourse turn into a childish argument. It's my fault and it's inexcusable.

I deleted several posts, because they were offensive and because I was embarrassed for expressing the thoughts that I did. I'm sorry I didn't do it sooner but my computer was down for a few days. God's punishment for my acting like a jerk, I guess.

I've been under much stress lately with an illness in my family and the ensuing complications that go along with that. It's no excuse. I've just got to remember not to be impatient with or iintolerant of other people because of it.

Please forgive me and GO COMETS!!!

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-11-09 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-11-09, 05:55 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Apology accepted Meta, you are too valuable of an historian and present-time follower of Solon sports to get tangled in a forum argument. Glad to see your "cool"prevail. It will take more will-power when it comes to coaches and refs during the season but that can be handled too when compared to the other challenges in life.
Old 08-11-09, 06:07 PM
Freshman

Apology accepted Metacomet! No problem, and glad to have you back online. Also, I hope everything everything with your family goes well. Go Comets!!!
Old 08-11-09, 08:37 PM
All Yappi

Right on Meta! Now lets GO COMETS!
Old 08-12-09, 03:40 PM
All Region

cometcharlie is on a distinguished road
Apology accepted Meta, We all lose are cool, a real pro. realizes it. You are a real pro. AND Solon's most avid Fan. Take care of your health,that's # 1 GO COMETS and DAYTON FLYERS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: