Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-23-09, 10:41 AM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
Solon's Girls Basketball coach leaving.

Comet's girls basketball coach the past five seasons, Julie Solis is leaving to coach at Twinsburg. She will coach a team that was 20-4 last season, Northeast Ohio Conference champion, and won their first Division 1 district championship. Solis will have one of the top recruits in the nation, 6'4" freshman Malina Howard, and Lawshana Gatewood, and five other regulars from last season. Julie, who is married to Twinsburgs head football coach, Mark Solis, was unavailable for comment.

Solis coached Solon to a second place finish in their Division 1 debut in 2006. She will be missed. And I have to wish her best of luck.

Wonder who will coach Solon girls. Maybe an assistant coach move upward?
Old 05-23-09, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
This feels like a slap in the face to our athletic department. Solon is supposed to be a top-of-the-line program. We're successful and we pay our coaches premium salaries.

Twinsburg has always been the wannabe that tried to emulate Solon and never seemed to get it right. Now T-burg is stealing our coaches? Yeah, I get it that T-burg has a loaded team coming back and I get it that Julie's husband coaches the Tigers' football team.

But this isn't a one-year move on her part, this one is forever. Our school let a great coach walk away, never to return. What does that say about the state of athletics at Solon?

It will be interesting to see what sort of coach Solon brings in as a replacement. If the AD simply promotes an assistant to the head job instead of searching for a leader as qualified as Solis, it should raise plenty of red flags.

Last edited by Metacomet; 05-23-09 at 04:02 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 08:50 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Area Coach hired

The PD reports that the School Board will be asked to approve the hire of Trish Kruse as head girls basketball coach and phys ed instructor.

Ms. Kruse will be in her 5th year of coaching after 2 yrs. at her home school, Chagrin Falls, and 2 years at Brush High. The paper said her record at Brush was 75-35 but that sounds more like a 4-year record. Good luck to Trish and the Comet gals.

As far as Julie Solis leaving for Twinsburg, my take is that it had to do with the location (husband works there) and the classroom teaching opportunity not any detraction meant for Solon's Athletic Department. These gals, especially those who are married, don't drift too far away so that we see Julie going from Solon to T'burg and Trish going from Chagrin to Brush to Solon. Now college coaching is much different. My neighbor moved last year when his wife left the Wake Forest volleyball staff and went to LSU. He also followed her here from UNC two years sooner. I guess she does O.K.
Old 06-10-09, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
No matter what is said, LOOK at the team she inherits to coach. Malina Howard has every college and Univ. after her and now she is a soph, and there are 4-5 other div.1 girls. Solon admin. not too happy with way it went down.
Old 06-10-09, 05:11 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Solon got a great hire.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: