Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 03-04-09, 09:06 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
bball

I guess the guys decided to pack it in for the season losing BIG last night 73 - 42 to John Adams... Only 15 points at the half... Boy, has the talent really dropped off the last few years... I really miss the Dallas era and the tournament games during this time of the year!!! What does the future hold??
Old 03-05-09, 01:33 PM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
Old 03-05-09, 07:21 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
I guess the guys decided to pack it in for the season losing BIG last night 73 - 42 to John Adams... Only 15 points at the half... Boy, has the talent really dropped off the last few years... I really miss the Dallas era and the tournament games during this time of the year!!! What does the future hold??
I was there, jimbo. It was tough to watch. I feel bad for kids like Jake, Darryl, Hicks and Hammonds, and all the kids, really. I know they want to win. I wish the program was in better shape right now. Unfortunately, it's in disarray and things probably won't get much better next year.
Old 03-05-09, 10:00 PM
All District

demolition man is on a distinguished road
I don't get it.

I wasn't there so I'm not going to pass judegment but there seems to be an unspoken message in the posts. I'm not sure if that message is that the team doesn't have talent, or that the coach doesn't know how to use the talent he has, or if the team quit on the coach. The last would be bad as there are numerous football players on this team, and there have been enough problems with the football team in recent years.
Old 03-05-09, 10:40 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition man View Post
I wasn't there so I'm not going to pass judegment but there seems to be an unspoken message in the posts. I'm not sure if that message is that the team doesn't have talent, or that the coach doesn't know how to use the talent he has, or if the team quit on the coach. The last would be bad as there are numerous football players on this team, and there have been enough problems with the football team in recent years.
The talent isn't outstanding but it's much better than a 7-14 record would suggest. Solon was good enough to beat Mentor, Brunswick and Hudson. Other games the players looked totally lost on the floor. I don't think it's fair to say anyone quit but confused and unsure; yes.

I don't want to speculate on the problem but the cohesion/sense of purpose is often absent when the team takes the floor.

The bizarre substitution patterns don't help, either. Solon's best players don't spend nearly enough time on the floor.

Last edited by Metacomet; 03-06-09 at 01:36 AM.
Old 03-14-09, 07:53 PM
All American

Grandpa1
This is about basketball, just not Solon's

Did you ever think or expect that Dallas Lauderdale would outscore the guy who took him to school in a Regional final - Raymar Morgan?

Well today - 03/14/2009 - was the day!

Lauderdale -7
Morgan -6

Dallas actually played a minute longer than Raymar. He also had one more foul than in the Regional final; he had one foul today against Michigan State.
In a matter further from you, we have one small Catholic High School in Winston Salem; they play Div.1-A (out of 4 divisions). It is strange to see hs basketball down here with all-white students but the McGuinness girls today won their 4th title in a row and the McGuiness boys won their first ever title. Oh that the Comets could experience the excitement that the Villains of Bishop McGiness High had today! (and you thought the school name had something to do about a malt drink)
Old 03-16-09, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
I was at that Solon/Mckinley game at Akron a few years back. All of that bashing of Dallas and praise of Raymar. Interesting that he outscored Morgan. I wastched the OSU/MSU game, but didn't even think about comparing the two. Thanks for pointing it out gramps!

I am impressed to see the improvement of Dallas from his freshman to his sophomore year. If he continues to improve offensively, he will be one of the best big men in the Big Ten by his senior year.
Old 03-16-09, 06:38 PM
All Yappi

Watch out if you praise Dallas on the college or high school forums. The Mck's may STILL come after you, after all this time. Amazing! And they creamed us. If only Dallas finally learns to put the ball on the floor and go to the hoop; that's what I'm waiting for. He has come a long way.
Old 03-16-09, 06:39 PM
All Yappi

And to be fair, Raymar has been injured on and off this year.
Old 03-17-09, 01:36 PM
All American

Grandpa1
More comparisons

Enough about Raymar then.

How about the other guy who "took Dallas to school" in New Jersey! Brian Zoubek is 7' to 7'1" and plays for Duke.

Zoubek - 396 min., 140 points, 126 rebounds, 27 blocks
Lauderdale - 674 min, 147 pts, 116 rebounds, 65 blocks

So what chance does Wake Forest have playing against Horizon Champ Cleveland State. Didn't CSU beat Navy and David Robinson?
Old 03-17-09, 02:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa1 View Post

So what chance does Wake Forest have playing against Horizon Champ Cleveland State. Didn't CSU beat Navy and David Robinson?

Yes. But then the Vikings lost to Kent State and Trevor Huffman.
Old 03-17-09, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

Well CSU beat Indiana, then St. Joe's, and got robbed vs. Navy and the Admiral. And they CAN beat Wake! You want to give me the points?

Hey Meta, Demolition called you out, did you pm him back?

Ohio St. will be on Friday night @ 9:40, Cleve St. will be on at same time on channel 43. Tomorrow night @ Wolstein, the "rematch", Warren Harding vs. St. Edwards. Might be some serious payback.. Also in the twin bill, Mentor vs. North Ridgeville. Regional semi's.
Old 03-17-09, 05:15 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Dayton at the Dome

Don't forget, Dayton will be in the Minneapolis Metrodome Friday to play Mr. Huggins and his W.VA. Mountainers.

I attended the first NCAA's at that dome. Court ran between home plate and third base. I sat in right field upper deck and looked down over the top of bleachers that were set up from first base to second base. I was so far away that the sound was delayed and the cheerleaders & bands were never in sync between my eyes & ears.
Old 03-18-09, 01:22 PM
All Yappi

Hmmmm, interesting. Go Flyers! As for Cleveland St. vs. Wake Forest, uhhhh, CSU has a puncher's chance sure, but the Demon Deacon's are 11th in the country, their RPI is .6184=#16th, and their odds of winning NCAA tourny- 20-1 (10th), Cleve St.'s odds-1,000-1 (around 50th) but Vegas is only got it at Wake giving 8 points.

Siena might have a better chance for the upset. We'll see. Dayton has a tough opening game, and their listed at 500-1.

So anyway no bets please.

Miami Hurricanes have to play @ Providence tonight even though they are the higher seed in the NIT. Their arena is being used for charity event all week. GO 'Canes!
Old 03-20-09, 07:40 PM
All Yappi

Congratulations to the Dayton Flyers! They hugged Huggins and his WVU Moutaineers to death. Great game Gramps.
Old 03-21-09, 10:27 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Yes Hurri, the Dayton faithful are full of excitement now that the Flyer basketball record against Huggins is 2-13. It was like the Comets beating McKinley, or Ignatius or Glenville- in basketball & football.

But my interest in the NCAA has taken a big hit with that Viking humiliation of the Demon Deacons. I've told you before that this young bunch from Wake are all athletes and the "flush" is their best shot. They sorely need a "basketball" player who can hit long jumpers, shoot free throws and resist turnovers. But they seem to only give scholarships to the athletic ones. They even have two head cases to deal with. At least they don't cheat on tests and hit the clubs very much. (FL State)
Old 03-21-09, 11:26 AM
All Yappi

Well they never recovered after they were named #1 in the top 25. Cleveland State just outplayed them in every aspect. Golly, was it really 23 years ago that the Vikings beat the Bobby Knight coached Hoosiers? ACC took some big hits and are left with Duke, North Carolina, and Maryland; but I was really surprised by Florida St. losing. And Siena? They went into Buckeye-filled Flyer home court in Dayton, and perservered. Amazing, but they did the same last year vs. Vandy. HOOPS! COLLEGE MARCH MADNESS!

I love it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: