Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-01-07, 07:38 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Welcome Eddie

Hello eddiebrown, welcome to the Solon Yappi site. Good to see your login-name again! Thought you were just a roundball guy.

Go Browns- Beat Ravens
Old 08-02-07, 10:45 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa1 View Post
Just a chance here to encourage Solon Yappi's to support the Booster Club project and purchase your brick. Personalized bricks will be used in stanchions at the north end of the field. Imagine going there years from now and seeing your name in a brick. I still check mine at the Bobby Feller monument since 1993. Go for it guys!
The Booster Club had a booth at Solon Home Days and displayed an artist's rendition of what the proposed brick-and-iron work will look like. It's going to be beautiful, ensuring that Stewart Field will remain one of the more attractive high school facilities in the area.

The $60 donation is money well spent, IMO.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-05-07 at 08:50 PM.
Old 08-05-07, 08:31 PM
Junior Varsity

cometdad is on a distinguished road
Has anybody stopped by the Comet's two-a-day practices at all? If so what have you seen? Who was getting reps at each position?
Old 08-05-07, 09:43 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Well.....Hurricane has suggested that I improve my reporting of the goings-on in Solon. So here goes......

If you are feeling bored on Sunday night, tune in to "The Kill Point" on SpikeTV (Channel 69 in Solon) at 9:00 PM. That is Solon's very own Ethan Rosenfeld (the kid hostage, who is the computer wiz) that you are watching.

How did I do Hurricane?
Old 08-06-07, 06:36 AM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
I think you were w-a-y too sensitive on my comment AAA.
It was simply jocularity, or , if you will, jesting. As you do very well at yourself. Your writing has always dazzled me my friend.
Old 08-06-07, 10:18 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Vocabulary

joc' u.lar'i.ty, n- a joke or jest; waggish; facetious remark.
(has nothing to do with any horse betting, i.e. channel 602 on DirectTV)

All of the writing on this forum dazzles me. Spent way too much time in physics & math books. My education continues here.

Grandma wants the Sports Package added to my DirectTV invoice so all those Fox stations come in and she can watch Comet football without the long ride!

Is that Kill Point thing upstaging all the Without a Trace episodes on Spike?

Please, when are the Comet scrimmages?
Old 08-06-07, 01:03 PM
Freshman

SolonDad is on a distinguished road
Scrimages

Saturday Warren Harding @ Solon
Week from Friday @ Brush
Old 08-07-07, 11:03 PM
All Yappi

Congratulations to Solon's newly-named 2007 captains: Zach Brillhart, Jimmy Geitz, Steve Greer, Jeff Skonezny, and Ricky Tonelli. Excellent choices!
Old 08-08-07, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

Coach told me Monday, "we'll be fine", certainly hope so. He did tell me the exact same thing last summer. Anyway, GO COMETS!!!!!
Old 08-11-07, 01:11 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Great scrimmage Comets. It just looked like a return to Comet-football today - tough swarming defense, ground game straight ahead, controlled passing, lots of old guys in the crowd giving advice to the coach - yep, it was a very encouraging sight today.
Old 08-11-07, 02:35 PM
All Yappi

We'll get to the in-depth reports of today's scrimmage a bit later. At this time, many of Solon's Yappsters are headed to Stark County to check out the Massillon-Perry scrimmage.

I will say that I'm very pleased with Solon's performance. Steve Greer and Ricky Tonelli were the two best players on the field, and the Comet defense was outstanding at all positions.

I was also pleased with Solon's sophomores; the Comet JV probably had the better of it in their scrimmage against Harding's highly-touted sophomores.

That's all for now. More later.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-11-07 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-11-07, 05:17 PM
All Yappi

What old guys? I was way over in the shade of the visitor side sitting with Warren Harding die-hards and ex-players and the Legend himself, "Worm", along with MetaComet, Ron and Mike. Comets did not in anyway show lack of spirit as has been on boards, instead they showed great speed and quickness on defense, and good blocking and hard running on offense. I was very impressed by tackling skills, and pass coverage was for the most part fine. Wish I could go to Massillon tonight but duty calls; to wife on trying again for 41st wedding anniversary dinner. Last night power outage was totally not welcome. And Illum. Co. at 11:00 P.M. told us yard and street will have to be torn up to get power back to next door neighbor and our house next week. Today's scrimmage certainly helped alleviate stress.

way to GO COMETS!!!!!
Old 08-11-07, 09:30 PM
Varsity

wearesc10 is on a distinguished road
i wasnt able to attend the scrimmage can someone break it down for me?
Old 08-11-07, 10:39 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearesc10 View Post
i wasnt able to attend the scrimmage can someone break it down for me?
While we're all happy with the outcome, we must remember that Harding is a very young team, and is going through some growing pains at this time. If you want a "score," I believe Solon won the varsity contest, 4 TDs and 2 FGs to 1 TD. The Comets won the JV match, 1 TD to none.

What made me happy is that Solon played the sort of ball that I begged for last year. On defense, the CBs chucked Harding's wideouts at the line and the Comets blitzed often and hard. I even thought I saw a safety blitz. Solon got its pass rush back after a long absence and got consistent pressure on the QB. The Comets blew up most of Harding's wide plays and Warren got almost nothing in the passing game.

Lots of players shuffled in-and-out. But our 1st string LBs were outstanding; so were Tonelli, Stanback and D. Baldwin at end. Likewise Rodman, Ruby, Matt Pish and others in the secondary. Back 7 on defense gave great run support and played with discipline; I don't recall many blown assignments.

On offense, new simplified attack was effective. Passing game was essentially curls to the middle zones off rollouts and swing passes to the backs. All high-percentage stuff, and it worked all day. Tonelli, Wilkerson, and Geitz consistently broke 8-10 yard runs and a few longer. Line employed a lot of people but looked pretty good. These guys are mobile, whereas most of last year's linemen weren't.

Jake and Zach looked like clones at QB. Same types of passes thrown, both equally effective. I don't recall a Solon QB making a designed run. Rodman, Cuccia, Pish and, I believe, Meyerson, got most of the WR play. All made some nice catches, especially Pish who held on after a big hit over the middle. Coleman also had a couple of nice catches and lined up both tight and wide. He also got time as Solon's fourth DE.

Lots of good things to take from today's scrimmage, but there's still progress to be made. I believe a few positions are yet to be won. Things will probably be a lot more defined after next week's Brush scrimmage.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-12-07 at 01:14 AM.
Old 08-12-07, 12:30 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri-Comet View Post
What old guys?
Hurricane - it's real easy to discern the old guys from the young guys. If you were eating a hamburger or hot dog after the scrimmage (for those of you not there, the Solon Boosters served lunches to all of the players after the scrimmage - both Comets and Raiders alike), you are a young guy. If you weren't served, you're an old guy.
Old 08-12-07, 07:10 PM
All Yappi

Well I for one was eating tums; sicker than a dog from Friday night outage. And in 11 days, birthday baby, hitting the big 69. That's not old to my mother-in-law who hits 95, 20 days later.
Old 08-14-07, 03:50 PM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
Congrats Hurri on # 69!!! Let's hope this is the season to redeem ourselves and start the new conference out right with a Comets championship!!
Old 08-14-07, 07:18 PM
All Yappi

Thanks Jimbo, here's to that "wish" a hundred-fold. All we need is leadership, discipline, and lots of better karma.
Old 08-18-07, 09:15 PM
Varsity

did anyone make it to Brush,i couldnt attend the scrimmage. how did it go?
Old 08-18-07, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

It was so ugly, even ugly people would call it ugly.
Old 08-18-07, 09:39 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
It was so ugly, even ugly people would call it ugly.
haha that bad huh?
Old 08-18-07, 10:31 PM
All Yappi

It was as bad as last year's game at Brush. Maybe worse. The way the team played was shocking and scary, considering who is on the Comets' schedule.
Old 08-19-07, 09:49 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
ugly

did we just go back to last year or what? that scrimmage was terrible in so many ways its scary. what is going on? guess what guys, we start this Friday.
Old 08-20-07, 11:09 AM
Freshman

Tdaman is on a distinguished road
ok here is wat i saw

mental mistakes
a few good plays from brush but still a strong solon team

Solon played well but they did remind me of last year's blunder
While u cant forget its not a real game and that the special teams might have made more of a difference the comets look like a different team from saturday against warren harrding

I think that the boys might not have had their mind on the playing so much and might have underestimated brush or they didnt care which they should have.

On the good side they had some almost broke plays in long drives that brush didnt have long drives they were hit or miss long play or nothing

And the JV part of the scrimmage was promising as the Comets pretty much dominiated both sets of offense and defense
Old 08-20-07, 12:00 PM
All Yappi

The morning of the scrimmage my friend Dan whom is an ex-coach of Mentor and the father of the starting linebacker- running back for the Cardinals, "warned'" me about Brush being a real sleeper team this year, with kids coming back to the program, even two from Glenville. The new coach at Brush is a personal buddy of his. I warned some parents before the start of the scrimmage Friday night, but I don't think they took me seriously. Right at the start you could tell Brush has a tough, hard hitting bunch of kids. That being said, the Comets didn't look like they did vs. Warren Harding. But, Brush looked better to me than Warren anyway.

I was very impressed again with tailback Jimmy Geitz who is showing great explosion into the hole and super leg drive and vision. Johnny Moeschberger again showed passing skills and arm strength, and John Hirsch is coming on strong. Defense is fine, they MUST keep that spirit and senior leadership.

It does look to me there may be a controversy at Q.B. if Zach Brillhart doesn't take charge out there Friday night and hit these open receivers.

Yeah, Twinsburg feels they owe us; BIG TIME! Solon had better be ready.
Old 08-20-07, 12:18 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Hurricane: I had the same sort of Friday night - went to see the Lion King. No one took Scar seriously. Mufasa had a rough first half and was knocked out by halftime. Simba got called up from the JV squad in the 4th quarter. He rallied the troops for a 4th quarter comeback, and won the day.

It sounds like we need someone with an angry growl right now.
Old 08-20-07, 12:37 PM
All Yappi

GRRRRR!!!!! Ken Dorsey needs a chance playing with the first team offense.

OOOPS!
Old 04-23-09, 06:06 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
How does people think solon will do in 2009? I think brunswick will be the favorite and solon will beat strongville.SOlon 2 toughest game will be with nordonia i cant wait.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: