Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 07-11-07, 03:38 PM
Junior Varsity

cometdad is on a distinguished road
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the quarterback contreversy going on at Solon. Who do you guys think will start and why?
Old 07-11-07, 03:47 PM
All District

BUCKS45 is on a distinguished road
quarterbacks ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometdad View Post
I'd like to hear some of your thoughts on the quarterback contreversy going on at Solon. Who do you guys think will start and why?
Zach Brillhart (started last year) senior
Johnny Mosh (played JV) junior
Tim Janasek (played JV) junior
Jake Voigt (played freshman) Sophmore

Let the battle for the starting position start next week. It is not a controversy. It is a position on the team and there are four qualilty kids trying to win the position. Each kid has his strengths and some have weeknesses. I am sure one of these kids will come out of the scrimmages clearly ahead and lead the Comets well.

I am putting my money on Jake Voigt to win the starting position. He has the total package. Throwing, running, leadership and he is tough enough to make things happpen.

Good Luck Comets
Old 07-11-07, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
Jake's got tremendous upside. He's got mobility, instincts and leadership skills. Oh yeah, he can pass a little, too.
Old 07-13-07, 11:25 AM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
While I understand the headaches that the QB's caused last year, I think that going with the sophomore Voight will probably make 2007 a difficult year. I have talked with Meta about this before and compared it with the Tanski situation. Similar to Voight, Tanski had a great year as a freshmen. He tore up the competition. But jumping from dominating 14 year olds to playing against 16,17,18 year old studs was too much of a jump for Tanski. As you saw in the 2005 game at Solon, he struggled. Now, playing Tanski that season payed off in regards to the 2006 season, but 2005 was a 5-5 wash. A lot of that had to do with the inexperience of the young QB. Expect similar things if Voight is starting. With a schedule of teams like Massillon, Mentor, Strongsville, and Brunswick - it wouldn't surprise me to see Solon struggle to another 7-3 season or possibly even worse if the sophomore doesn't grow up in a hurry.

Is a varsity-experienced Voight in 2008 worth a gamble for the season in 2007?
Old 07-13-07, 01:09 PM
All Yappi

cardz,

We have talked about this before and I understand your point. There are simiilariities between Mentor's QB situation with Tanski two years ago and Solon's this year, with soph Jake Voigt as a possible starter. But the situations aren't identical. Some key differences exist.

Some of Mentor's struggles two years ago had to do with its schedule, moreso than Tanski's inexperience. Sure, he's better now than in 2005 but I think some of his problems as a soph involved playing Solon, Massillon, Ignatius, et al. While this year's Solon team faces a tough schedule, it's not as daunting as the murderous slate Mentor faced that year. Also, Solon isn't as young as Mentor was in 2005. Tanski was a sophomore leading a bunch of juniors. Voigt would be in charge of a largely senior offense.

Another difference is that Solon is not as dependent upon its QB to win games as Mentor is. For the Cards, it's all about QB play. In their offense, if the QB isn't outstanding, the offense doesn't function. Solon has always been more of a running team. The pressure on the QB to spearhead the offense isn't as great in Solon's scheme. Last year, Solon got away from its traditional sets and lost its offensive identity. This year, word is that Solon will try to use the run to set up the pass. Solon's QB won't have to make nearly as many big plays.

I just want to make it clear that the QB competion is still wide open. Brillhart or Moeschberger could win the job; maybe even Tim Janasek. I believe that QB will be a position of strength for Solon this year. I like Voigt because of his outstanding mobility and his big-play instincts. But Brillhart is an outstanding passer, who was hurt last year by weak line play and poor gameplans. Those flaws should be corrected this year, and I believe Brillhart's play in 2007 would reflect those improvements. Moeschberger had a great 2006 season as the JV QB. He may have the strongest, most accurate arm of all Solon's QBs.

I believe that Voigt will be QB because his athleticism gives him such an upside. But the Comets won't go wrong with any of the three, IMO. And there's precedent for Solon's winning behind a sophomore QB. In 1997, soph Josh Manis got within 20 seconds of leading the Comets to a 10-0 season and a playoff berth. Unfortunately, Kenston pulled off a miracle win in the last seconds in Week 10 to ruin Solon's perfect season.

Last edited by Metacomet; 07-13-07 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-13-07, 04:12 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Nice stuff!

Thanks cardz & Meta.
Old 07-16-07, 12:29 PM
All Yappi

cardzfan1234 is on a distinguished road
Good points Meta. One major difference is that Mentor is traditionally more relient on the QB play, so that should make a difference. I will also give you the schedule difference. Playing Mentor, Massillon, Strongsville, and Brunswick will be tough on a sophomore - but at least a couple of those games aren't until later in the year. Mentor and their QB's had to face Glenville, Ursuline, Solon, St. Ignatius, and Massillon all in a row.

One area I will disagree, but I don't expect you to memorize Mentor's life story. Tanski did have an exerpienced offense around him in 2005. The offensive line had at least four seniors if I remember right. Two of them (John Jewell and Nick Spring) were pretty big and very good. All of the wide receivers on that 2005 offense had tons of experience as Mentor had three starting junior WR's on the 04 team. The only receiver in 2005 that didn't start before was Brandon James. He obviously turned out to be the best in the bunch. Bill Deitmen was a junior in 2005, but he did start as a sophomore. So one could argue that Mentor's offense was very experienced in 2005, with the exception of the QB. Despite the experience around him, Tanski and Oleksak struggled mightily. The defense that season, along with only a couple key positions on offense, was junior-oriented.

The two QB system didn't work out. I hope Solon won't try it for their sake. While the upside of Voight is there, he would benefit from dominating on the JV level before becoming a great contributor in his junior and senior seasons. IMO, start the senior QB unless Voight is really that much better. All things equal - I say stick with experience, not potential.
Old 07-17-07, 05:44 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
I agree with card. The schedule does not allow for alot of changes like last year. We need to hit the blocks running. We have a HUGE target on our back with the new league and we need to get back to the real SOLON style of play. When is the 7 on 7?? Let's get this party started!!
Old 07-17-07, 01:06 PM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
I hope these transfers from Orlando and Miami Northwestern and Belle Glade, all Florida studs, is not just another rumor.
Old 07-17-07, 09:30 PM
Junior Varsity

Hurri-Comet what are you talking about? Is Solon close to landing more transfers?
Old 07-17-07, 10:25 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Hey Hurricane - did you hear about the Manhattan Transfer?
Old 07-17-07, 11:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri-Comet View Post
I hope these transfers from Orlando and Miami Northwestern and Belle Glade, all Florida studs, is not just another rumor.

As long as I've known Hurri, this had been his fantasy. Every year, he counts on all sorts of transfers from Florida to save Solon's season. Every year, those Floridians somehow fail to show up for summer camp.

I guess we'll have to count on transfers from somewhere else to help us through the season. Or maybe we should hope our homegrown kids are good enough.
Old 07-18-07, 07:21 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Tarheel recruit?

I hope that tarheel recruit makes it up to Solon. The kid would be the tallest receiver and safety in the schools history not to mention his basketball prowess. He was last seen headed north on I-77.
Old 07-18-07, 10:30 AM
All Yappi

Our homegrown kids HAVE been good enough! For 35 years plus for me. But, non-believers, someday these transfers will show; uhh, Manhattan Transfer, wow, excellent, absolutely.
Old 07-18-07, 11:25 PM
Junior Varsity

I heard that there have been some unexpected moves up front for the Comets on offense. I was talking with a friend of my mine that has a son on the team, and he told me that there have been some new movements on offense that nobody expected. Any Comet fans know anything about this? Is it for the better?
Old 07-18-07, 11:31 PM
All Yappi

Are you referring to some moves up the depth chart, cometdad? Anything's possible at this time, but I don't know any specifics.
Old 07-19-07, 08:01 AM
All District

BUCKS45 is on a distinguished road
Unexpected?

Quote:
I heard that there have been some unexpected moves up front for the Comets on offense. I was talking with a friend of my mine that has a son on the team, and he told me that there have been some new movements on offense that nobody expected. Any Comet fans know anything about this? Is it for the better?
What could be unexpected at this time of the year. They are all fighting for a position on the team ? Unexpected would be Tonelli was moved to CENTER.
Old 07-20-07, 05:12 PM
Junior Varsity

What is all this talk about more transfers? What positions do they play, and how good are they?
Old 07-20-07, 07:40 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Quote:
What is all this talk about more transfers? What positions do they play, and how good are they?
Here's the Manhattan Transfer. They play "The Boy from New York City". They are very good, especially the high-pitched girl on the right.

Old 07-21-07, 08:00 AM
All Yappi

I know MT very well; how about some Hi-Lo's, or better yet Four Freshmen?

Or better yet, the Mills Brothers! (Or even the Ames Brothers)
Old 07-23-07, 09:34 PM
Varsity

wearesc10 is on a distinguished road
has anyone that post in this forum been to any of the camp or instruction sessions? if so how have these sessions looked and who are the stand out players..i would just like to know because i wanna know how good this team will be this year..thanks
Old 07-23-07, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

BUCKS45 might be your best bet. Perhaps you should send him a PM. From what I've heard, all positions are open, and those who play best will be the starters.

Solon has a 7-on-7 scheduled for Wednesday between 5-8 p.m. at Stewart Field. That should give fans some idea of possible starters at WR, DB, LB, and QB.
Old 07-23-07, 09:52 PM
Varsity

wearesc10 is on a distinguished road
okay thanks meta
Old 07-23-07, 10:20 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
I was at the practice tonight for about an hour, but I'm probably going to get fired as a roving reporter as I really wasn't paying a lot of attention (I was talking the whole time with a friend). I will say this, though. It was clearly a very spirited practice. The kids were very vocal, lots of clapping - there was clearly energy in the air. Numbers wise, I would say there were about 70-80 players there.
Old 07-24-07, 11:51 AM
All Yappi

That's close to as good and precise as Tony Grossi expounds on Plain Dealer Brown's Beat. Keep up the reports. Loyal reader, Hurri
Old 07-24-07, 10:49 PM
Junior Varsity

I was also at the practice today and liked what I saw. The team did sound very high spirited as SolonAAA said. The one question I have is where is this "Bayou Boy?" I think if the Comets can nab him they are looking incredibly strong (they still looked very good without him).
Old 07-26-07, 07:59 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Lightbulb Buy a Solon Booster brick

Just a chance here to encourage Solon Yappi's to support the Booster Club project and purchase your brick. Personalized bricks will be used in stanchions at the north end of the field. Imagine going there years from now and seeing your name in a brick. I still check mine at the Bobby Feller monument since 1993. Go for it guys!
Old 07-27-07, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

I truly enjoy seeing my brick at the Chicken Ranch when I'm in Nevada. Ahh memories.
Old 08-01-07, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

eddiebrown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri-Comet View Post
I truly enjoy seeing my brick at the Chicken Ranch when I'm in Nevada. Ahh memories.
I figured you enjoy seeing other things at the Chicken Ranch..
Old 08-01-07, 06:56 PM
All Yappi

Aww, I was just kidding and joshing a bit Eddie. I'm goin' for a brick for sure, "Hurricane Bob" Solon Football 1971-

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: