Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-14-07, 09:46 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Football thoughts

I thought OHSAA was going to create fewer Div.1 schools for football this year. If 715 schools were divided equally into 6 divisions, there would be 119.2 schools in each division. So we end up with 115 in Div.1 and 121 each in Divisions 5 & 6. Is that the BIG DEAL change? Out of 715 schools, 4 more appear at the bottom and 4 less at the top?

Interesting that Twinsburg made Div.1 by 4 boys and Nordonia by 29. The Knights will find playoffs a bit tougher whenever they get there again.

The Comets will be in 'bigger" company this season; not so many of those "500" boy WRC schools. Solon has 722 boys; Mentor 1148; Lakewood 767; Brunswick 961; Elyria 888; Medina 857 and Strongsville 944. Surprised me that Massillon only shows 578 boys.

Heard there is a college QB hanging around the school who will throw to any receiver or any person who will run a pattern. You guys should get in on this.
Old 05-16-07, 06:41 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Post Schedule Changes

The fifth game of the season at Hudson has been changed from a Friday to Thursday, 9/20.

The last game has been changed to a Thursday too. The game at home against Strongsville is changed to Thursday, 10/25 so it can be shown on FSN Ohio.

What an exciting schedule for the Comets!
Old 06-04-07, 06:40 AM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
The numbers of teams in each division is never fixed; they always range from 112-120 schools per division. The cutoff line changes every two years, seemingly at the OHSAA's whim.

Solon is really moving into the big time by joining the NEOC. The Comets will be the smallest member of their football division, though Solon's enrollment will probably pass Lakewood's within a few years. Of course, it isn't the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Solon was playing and beating many of these schools at a time when it was barely bigger than a D2 school.

The NEOC will be one of the most decidedly big-school conferences in the state. Strongsville, Brunswick, Medina, and Elyria are all among Ohio's 20 biggest schools. The only Ohio conference with bigger schools is Cincinnati's GMC, which features Colerain, Princeton, Fairfield, and the like.
Old 06-04-07, 01:08 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa1 View Post
I thought OHSAA was going to create fewer Div.1 schools for football this year. If 715 schools were divided equally into 6 divisions, there would be 119.2 schools in each division. So we end up with 115 in Div.1 and 121 each in Divisions 5 & 6. Is that the BIG DEAL change? Out of 715 schools, 4 more appear at the bottom and 4 less at the top?
The OHSAA was going to use the top 10% for DI this upcoming season, which would have been 72 schools. They would have then taken the bottom 2% out and given them directly to DVI. The rest would have been evenly split between the bottom 5 divisions. These would have been the approximate numbers:

D1 - 72
D2 - 126
D3 - 126
D4 - 126
D5 - 126
D6 - 139

Although the difference in enrollment numbers was small for D6, they were upset because they would have a tougher time making the playoffs (and winning a championship) because of the larger pool of teams to compete against. So the OHSAA had to decide which way was fairer, splitting schools up into equal size divisions or splitting them up with enrollment numbers being reasonably close. They chose the equal size divisions after pressure from the smaller schools created some problems in the media.
Old 06-08-07, 05:35 AM
All World

oldline70
Same here, Grandpa, though I'll still surf this site every several days.

There's nothing going on here and I'm bored out of my mind on here. This used to be my #1 go-to site and lately it can't hold my attention more than 5 minutes. I guess it's a good thing. Bring on football season.
Old 06-08-07, 05:37 AM
All World

oldline70
Sorry GP, this was meant to be in response to your comment on the other thread about checking out for a while!
Old 06-08-07, 02:41 PM
All Yappi

Patience, patience. There will be plenty to talk about soon enough. But yes, right now, things are slow and dull. Once people stop thinking about the Cavaliers and Spurs, they'll focus back on the Comets and the Explorers.
Old 06-08-07, 02:52 PM
All American

CoachStone is on a distinguished road
Hey Meta and Old, come on out and coach some baseball with me, the time will fly till the pads start cracking!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldline70 View Post
Same here, Grandpa, though I'll still surf this site every several days.

There's nothing going on here and I'm bored out of my mind on here. This used to be my #1 go-to site and lately it can't hold my attention more than 5 minutes. I guess it's a good thing. Bring on football season.
Old 06-10-07, 01:05 PM
All World

oldline70
How does one obtain a job doing this? I'd be willing to run some 2-point wave drills...oh wait, that's football.

Oh well, I can toss some b.p., I guess!!

Any takers??
Old 06-10-07, 08:31 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldline70 View Post
How does one obtain a job doing this
Oldline - Procreation usually helps you get an inside track to one of these jobs in the summer. It also helps to go stone-deaf, so that you don't have to hear some blind parent ask why his/her kid isn't pitching, even though the kid can't throw the ball 20 feet (yes - this happened to me a week ago).
Old 06-11-07, 05:24 AM
All American

CoachStone is on a distinguished road
LOL it happened to me also Solon, just last week!!! It was a surreal scene, I thought this guy was kidding.........needless to say he was not!
Stone-deaf?? Nice play on words too!! =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolonAAA View Post
Oldline - Procreation usually helps you get an inside track to one of these jobs in the summer. It also helps to go stone-deaf, so that you don't have to hear some blind parent ask why his/her kid isn't pitching, even though the kid can't throw the ball 20 feet (yes - this happened to me a week ago).
Old 06-11-07, 10:15 PM
All Ohio

SolonAAA
CoachStone - I actually sat at the PC trying to think of an adjective that went with "deaf" other than "stone", but I couldn't think of one. While I know that my jokes usually go thud, and my wife has told me more than once to shoot my writer, I knew that it was going to come out wrong.

That said - your story doesn't surprise me the least. I had a practice 10 or so years ago to start the season, and an uncle brings his nephew. This kid was dressed to the hilt - baseball pants, belt, batting gloves, cleats - mind you, this was for coach pitch, underhand softball. The uncle says to me in a stern voice - "Hey coach, make sure that he bats from both sides of the plate. He's a switch hitter."

Needless to say, this kid couldn't hit from wither side of the plate to save his life.

I've had multiple dads insist that their kid could pitch better than the kid I had on the mound. As you can expect, I put the kid in, and a short while later (short while = 3-5 straight walks) the dad would come up begging for me to take the kid out.
Old 06-15-07, 04:17 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
#1 weakness

With the summer upon us, what does Coach McQuaide need to look at first to improve this team? With the new conference and tough schedule, I think the Comets need to improve quickly. The offense has to be more dimensional. Our passing game needs to exist and be effective. Any thoughts?? Would we be happy with a 5-5 record??
Old 06-15-07, 07:43 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
With the summer upon us, what does Coach McQuaide need to look at first to improve this team? With the new conference and tough schedule, I think the Comets need to improve quickly. The offense has to be more dimensional. Our passing game needs to exist and be effective. Any thoughts?? Would we be happy with a 5-5 record??
Solon needs to do two things to get back on track. The first is simplifying the offense. Last year, Solon dabbled with so many looks that nothing wound up working. The team never developed a definitive offensive personality . I believe the Comets need to re-establish the run, and use the run to set up the pass. I recently read an article in a Massillon paper in which McQ said that Solon will strive to be more run-oriented this year. Good move.

The second thing that Solon must do to be successful is to restore the pride and intensity that were lost last year. There were way too many attitude/discipline problems, a glaring lack of effort at times, and not enough done to correct these flaws. Many players seemed to forget what it means to be a Solon Comet. The coaches must impart this message to the players: That being a Solon Comet means maximum effort, and it means being a little tougher, a little more spartan than the other teams. Solon became a soft team last year. We're never blessed with the sort of athletes that Ignatius or Glenville has, so the Comets can never, EVER afford to be soft.

I've heard only good things so far about this year's team. I've heard that this senior class is determined to eradicate last year's bad karma. The leadership is excellent, the effort in the weight room and in drills has been outstanding, and slackers are not being tolerated. No one associated with the program should be satisfied with a 5-5 record in 2007. I don't know what the Comets' record will be. But if the coaching staff gets everything out of the talent at hand, Solon should be a winning team and a playoff qualifier. Going 5-5 should raise plenty of red flags about the program's leadership. But if this team establishes a workable, effective offense and if it plays with Solon's typical pride and discipline, a winning season should follow naturally.

What I'd like to see is for Solon to approach each opponent as if it is beatable. The Comets can't afford to be awed by the competition, and they must remember that all of them have flaws and questions. There's no reason Solon can't pull off a win or two among the likes of Massillon, Mentor, Brunswick, and Strongsville.

Last edited by Metacomet; 06-16-07 at 07:09 AM.
Old 06-16-07, 11:08 AM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
What Meta said!!!!! Go Comets!!!!!
Old 07-08-07, 10:29 PM
Junior Varsity

cometdad is on a distinguished road
The comets need to work together on numerous parts of their game. Obviously their offense needs tons of work, but their are a couple question marks on defense as well.

1)O-line (need a gaurd)
2)QB controversy
3)Secondary needs MUCH improvement
4)Question marks on what defense the Comets will play next year and who will play it
5)Size at linebacker, d-backs, and o-line
Old 07-09-07, 05:39 AM
All World

oldline70
I'll come back & play guard; it's only been 28 years since I last played! Just give me #70 and I'll be happy.

They don't call me oldline for nothing.

Seriously, I look for Solon to have a serious upswing this year. Two down years in Solon don't make any sense.
Old 07-09-07, 05:58 PM
Junior Varsity

I would like to have your optimism oldline70, but if you look at the comets team you definatley cannot say that they are any better then they were this past year. Also they have a much harder schedule playing Massilon (not sure on spelling), a perrenial powerhouse and Mentor, who has broughten their program up to another level. As a Solon fan I would be happy with a 500 season. Whatever happens it looks like this upcoming season is going to be filled with drama.
Old 07-09-07, 07:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometdad View Post
I would like to have your optimism oldline70, but if you look at the comets team you definatley cannot say that they are any better then they were this past year. Also they have a much harder schedule playing Massilon (not sure on spelling), a perrenial powerhouse and Mentor, who has broughten their program up to another level. As a Solon fan I would be happy with a 500 season. Whatever happens it looks like this upcoming season is going to be filled with drama.
cometdad,

I don't know how long you've been a "cometdad," but you really need to start thinking like a Solon Comet. At Solon, we don't think in terms of being happy with a .500 season. We are a winning program, and have been so for years. Are you aware that Solon has not suffered a losing season in football since 1969? In all of Ohio, the only school that has a longer streak of success of which I'm aware is Cincinnati Moeller.

Why are you so worried about the opposition? Did it ever occur to you that they've got players to replace, just like us, and have questions heading into the season? Stop being so much in awe of our opponents. The Comets are capable of beating every team on their schedule. Yes, even Massillon. Mentor has plenty to replace. You are aware, I hope, that Solon has beaten Mentor in seven of 11 meetings since 1998? You should be aware. Learn your Solon history! We're a special program, and it's time we all remembered that and stopped wallowing in a state of self-pity for Solon football.

I don't know what's going to happen this year. I highly doubt the Comets will go undefeated. But Solon has a chance to be a good team. The senior class is a group of high-character kids, there's speed throughout the roster, there's great talent in the sophomore class, and there are a couple of transfers who should make a big difference. Remember, this group of seniors went undefeated as freshmen. The defensive front seven should be outstanding; three talented kids are vying for the quarterback spot; the running game should be very productive, and the offensive line should be improved. Are there question areas? Sure. But the Comets have enough quality athletes to fill out the lineup, if the coaches make the right personnel decisions.

A .500 season? Never!!! No one associated with Solon football should ever be satisfied with that. That kind of thinking only brings down the program. There was too much easy acceptance of mediocrity last year; that was one of the 2006 team's biggest problems, and I blame the coaching staff for letting it permeate. The coaches say they realize the mistakes made last year. I'll take them at their word. But I'll also expect them to keep their word. I expect to see this team play with the pride that reflects Solon Comet tradition.

If you are indeed a "cometdad," then stop whining. Remember that you're a Solon Comet and pay heed to what Solon football represents. In case you haven't learned, Solon football is all about excellence. Never, ever forget that.
Old 07-10-07, 05:45 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
Well said Meta!!! GO COMETS!!!
Old 07-10-07, 08:42 AM
Junior Varsity

I would like to hear about what Solon's starting line-up is going to look like.
Old 07-10-07, 11:45 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Hi cometdad,

Perhaps you missed the post by Metacomet which addressed the issue of what the 2007 squad looks like now; a copy is below. I'm sure after the scrimmages there will be more specific details.

Thanks for your interest in this team on two forums. Anxious to hear from you "what the kids" are saying around the house about this team. Hope to see you at the games.

Gramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post

I don't know what's going to happen this year. I highly doubt the Comets will go undefeated. But Solon has a chance to be a good team. The senior class is a group of high-character kids, there's speed throughout the roster, there's great talent in the sophomore class, and there are a couple of transfers who should make a big difference. Remember, this group of seniors went undefeated as freshmen. The defensive front seven should be outstanding; three talented kids are vying for the quarterback spot; the running game should be very productive, and the offensive line should be improved. Are there question areas? Sure. But the Comets have enough quality athletes to fill out the lineup, if the coaches make the right personnel decisions.
Old 07-10-07, 12:08 PM
Junior Varsity

I have recently been told that the Comets have recieved a transfer from Louisiana. I have heard that he is HUGE, and will be a key contributor to the team this year. If all this is true I'd like to hear everyones thoughts on how he will do this year, and what position(s) he will play.
Old 07-10-07, 01:51 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Exclamation Two to transfer

Yes cometdad, it is hard to keep a secret...a big secret.

The Bayou Boy is not only HUGE, but FAST and STRONG according to reports from all the Big Man's camps he is at this summer.

You asked where he would play and word is that he is soooo good, he'll play wherever he wants...maybe three positions ...all at once.

Is already on the Saints 2012 draft chart.

But it's the smaller transfer kid that the opponents should worry about. Can't tell anything about him in public. No baby! Top secret! Late arrival!
Old 07-10-07, 04:04 PM
Junior Varsity

I've also heard that the Comets might move their defense to a 3-4, but am not sure on if they're doing this or not. Maybe you could send me a private message on this topic and also the other transfer.
Old 07-10-07, 07:30 PM
All American

Grandpa1
Comet plans

Actually with all those huge guys transfering in, Solon will be gearing up to play some 6-2-2-1.

We played it all the time, I think, didn't we Hurri?
Old 07-10-07, 08:06 PM
Junior Varsity

Thanks a lot Grandpa1 for the info. Any idea on who the other interior lineman maybe?
Old 07-11-07, 11:28 AM
Junior Varsity

Since everything is slowing down a little bit, does anyone know anything about who's going to coach the Comets basketball team next year?
Old 07-11-07, 03:22 PM
All District

BUCKS45 is on a distinguished road
varsity BB coach

I believe the job was given to Fisher (the JV coach from last year). He has a good relationship with the group coming up.
Old 07-11-07, 03:37 PM
All District

BUCKS45 is on a distinguished road
lineman ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometdad View Post
Thanks a lot Grandpa1 for the info. Any idea on who the other interior lineman maybe?
Just some names who will be fighting for the starting positions would be Zack Stearns (started as guard last year) Jonathan Kent possible tackle (he has gotten very large / increased strength) Justin Woo possible tackle/center Junior lettered as a Soph. Andy MaGill junior (possible guard/very tough) Reid Meyers senior (possible tackle). There are a bunch of kids that have been working hard and should make an impression this fall. Interesting who will win the starting jobs at the interior line positions.

Our line will have some size but again we will need them to be tough minded and work together. If this kid (his name is Paul) from Louisiana comes and plays for Solon, we could be in excellent shape on the front five with Bryce Coleman penciled in as the tight end which he played alot last year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: