Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-18, 10:40 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
Does your school have a summer “dead period”?

I’m talking about a “hands off” period during summer break when no school activities can take place. Some schools in this area have them but others don’t. How about yours?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-18, 07:10 AM
All District

tribefan23 is on a distinguished road
"Hands off period" hahahaha my school is basketball 24/7/365. 1 month dead period after the season ends? Laughable. Just call it AAU or open gym (or don't call it anything at all) and its legal. 7 days a week in the summer. Rain outs affecting the baseball schedule? Nope can't practice in the gym because basketball. Lightning affecting football practice in September? Nope can't practice in the gym because basketball. Gotta love it
Old 04-17-18, 07:34 AM
All World

D4fan is on a distinguished road
No. I remember back ten years ago or so they tried to implement such a down time in June. This ran counter to the ideas of the new basketball coach and the concept died that year and has not returned. They will allow for a week off for athletes between football and basketball season if the athlete desires the time off, but few take advantage of it.
Old 04-17-18, 08:54 AM
All District

Nobody uses the "week off in between seasons" rule anymore because coaches put in the kids' ears that if they aren't at practices, they won't play. Have had plenty of kids say they were worried about missing practices for another sport while the previous sport was still in season. Heck, I've seen basketball players in season in the playoffs that are riding the bench go to track/baseball practices at night after their basketball practice was over. "Hear no evil, see no evil" I guess
Old 04-17-18, 08:56 AM
All District

And unfortunately we are still in the age where big time programs don't want their kids playing other sports, especially with basketball and football. Coaches put in their kids ears that if they aren't practicing with the basketball team in September and October that they won't be playing when official practices start. Very sad that some coaches stilll\ don't want kids playing multiple sports when the benefits have been proven time and time again. Especially when the kid probably isn't going to play in college anyways. Let kids do what they want
Old 04-17-18, 09:01 AM
Junior Varsity

WCfan is on a distinguished road
August is a mandatory no contact period set by OHSAA. If there are activities happening during that time they are illegal and should be reported. These are still kids. They should have some time off to be a kid without repercussions.
Old 04-17-18, 09:28 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Off time? Wow another ploy by weak minded people...kids should not have off weeks or days....
Old 04-17-18, 09:43 AM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
I should clarify that I'm talking about all sports/extracurriculars across the board. The school I follow has a two-week period in June/July where NO organized school activities can be scheduled. Our community has gotten used to it and loves that at least part of the summer can be reserved for family activities.
Old 04-17-18, 09:45 AM
All District

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCfan View Post
August is a mandatory no contact period set by OHSAA. If there are activities happening during that time they are illegal and should be reported. These are still kids. They should have some time off to be a kid without repercussions.
There is also a clause in there that say "Basketball coaches may supervise the weight room during the no-contact period." So I'm sure that's all they're doing, right?????? Lift weights for an hour and go home
Old 04-17-18, 09:47 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
I should clarify that I'm talking about all sports/extracurriculars across the board. The school I follow has a two-week period in June/July where NO organized school activities can be scheduled. Our community has gotten used to it and loves that at least part of the summer can be reserved for family activities.
I think that's a great idea. School shuts down everything for a few weeks and tells parents to schedule stuff during that time. Also gives coaches an out when a parent or kid says they need to miss practices/games due to a vacation. Unfortunately that's not a realistic thing in some communities and I think some coaches would still find ways around it. But I would love if that were a rule everywhere.
Old 04-17-18, 09:59 AM
All District

shaggy25 is on a distinguished road
Tusky Valley has no contact for all sports from June 28 - July 6.
Old 04-17-18, 10:26 AM
Moderated User

Rusty Anchor is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Im sure your community has not been too successful in sports or life in general since the implementation of this soft af period?!?!
Old 04-17-18, 10:34 AM
All District

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree, they are kids and burn out is fake science. Those two weeks totally set your community back. You should ask the ohsaa to be d7 in football and d4 in basketball so maybe you stand a chance to compete
Old 04-17-18, 11:02 AM
All District

mcm.1019 is on a distinguished road
Our school has a no activities period the week of July 4th
Old 04-17-18, 11:14 AM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Isn't August when mandatory practices for fall sports start?
Old 04-17-18, 11:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Im sure your community has not been too successful in sports or life in general since the implementation of this soft af period?!?!
Per his profile his school is Marion Local. Ever hear of them?
Old 04-17-18, 11:44 AM
Junior Varsity

WCfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Isn't August when mandatory practices for fall sports start?
I was talking basketball since this is the boys basketball board
Old 04-17-18, 12:14 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I was talking basketball since this is the boys basketball board
I see that rule applies to many of the non-fall sports, but not all. Wonder why.