Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > League/School Forums > Solon Comets

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-15-10, 10:00 AM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
Oh that cool metacomet sorry about the injuries,you could be nordonia we have 10 guys out already.After the next 2 years nordonia will be fine, alot bad apples and not dedicated football players.Northeastern ohio conference preview in today plain dealer,brunswick behind nordonia?.
Old 08-20-10, 07:39 AM
All American

Grandpa1
Brushing Up

Good Luck to the Comets in tonight's scrimmage.

Here's hoping no injuries for either team.

Hope part or all of the scoreboard works.
Old 08-20-10, 09:18 PM
All Yappi

Hurri-Comet is on a distinguished road
Solon won big but I was told Brush was missing players due to pay-for- play. Quite a few Solon Comets were sitting out due to injurys and most will be OK for opener. 4-0 as I remember for starters.
Old 08-20-10, 09:56 PM
All Yappi

Metacomet is on a distinguished road
All news is good news for Solon. The Comets crushed Brush, 28-6 in two quarters of varsity scrimmaging. The JV beat the Arcs, 21-0 in one quarter of play.

Ordinarily, I try for balanced analysis, pointing out the things that went right, and wrong. Tonight, I can't think of anything critical to say. Every one played, every one played well. Nothing was amiss.

Comet regulars Chris Humphrey, Vince Hill, Nick Davidson, Aaron Penn and Drew Barksdale didn't play. All are OK, their absence was precautionary. Solon rolled, anyway.

Drew Stankiewicz and Patrick Kramer both played QB and both were outstanding. Each hit his targets consistently and each ran for a TD; Stankiewicz scored from about 40 yards out.

Kyle Hammonds only played the first one or two series at TB. Khoury Crenshaw got a lot of work and impressed for the second straight week. Dowdy, Palmer, Stock, Hoff and Camiener started on the O-line; Dan Sutyak got plenty of playing time.

Solon did a nice job of mixing the run and pass. The line blew Brush's defenders off the ball.

Solon's defense completely smothered Brush's offense. The Comets played stellar run defense for the third straight scrimmage and put constant heat on the Arcs' QBs.

Dunn and Ryan Pastor started at DE, with Hoff at NT. Stock, Camiener and Kalin Etheridge all played tackle.

Once again, Khoury Crenshaw, George Berry, Shiloh Smalls-Moore, Brendan Gallagher and C.J. Hanna starred for the JV, along with everybody else. Crenshaw and Jesse Circelli both excelled at TB; I hope both can get a chance to help the varsity in the coming weeks.

Berry had a 70-yard TD run in which he looked like he was shot out of a cannon.

I really want to be cautious about this team's chances because it is so young. But I'm starting to believe that if the Comets stay reasonably healthy, they could be in store for a special season. Certainly, Humphrey is key and he must stay healthy.

But this team might be deeper than we all at first believed. The backup linemen are playing well. Tonght, the subs in the secondary looked good, too; that was also a worry.

It all starts for real next week, folks. Go Solon!! Beat Shaker!!

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-20-10 at 10:10 PM.
Old 08-21-10, 06:59 AM
All Region

jimbo is on a distinguished road
let's go

Ok Meta, now I am getting really excited for this team. Do you remember what the pre-season hype was for the 2000 team (Solon's best ..so far)? Does the depth of both teams compare??

Ready to roll for this season!!

Go Comets!!
Old 08-21-10, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Ok Meta, now I am getting really excited for this team. Do you remember what the pre-season hype was for the 2000 team (Solon's best ..so far)? Does the depth of both teams compare??

Ready to roll for this season!!

Go Comets!!
It's difficult to compare the anticipation levels of 2000 and 2010. For one thing, high school sports websites were few back then and hardly anyone communicated the way we're doing right now.

What I remember is that many Solon fans were actually a little guarded about the team's chances in 2000. The Comets had graduated a three-year starter at QB in Josh Manis and two three-year starters at OT in James Tatman and Jeff Walters (I believe). A lot of people thought they'd be impossible to replace.

Most especially, people had doubts about QB Jay Price's ability to lead the team. He hadn't dazzled anyone in freshman or JV ball and the thinking was that he'd be a liability as a starting QB.

Many fans were hoping that sophomore Brad Hirsch, who was mobile and athletic, would win the starting job.

Byron Morgan never named Price the starter until a few days before the season opener vs. Strongsville. Of course, Price's steady leadership proved invaluable in 2000.

I was one of the few who believed, even before the season started, that Solon had a chance to go to state. I'd seen St. Ignatius' 1999 state semifinal and championship games in person and I knew that Solon was much better than the teams Ignatius had beaten in those games.

I also knew that Solon returned about 13 starters from the team that had barely lost to Ignatius in '99.

In its preseason rankings, the Plain Dealer picked Solon high; second or third if I remember. St. Ignatius, of course, was #1.

The 2000 Solon team had a lot of returning veterans and a strong senior class. Perhaps 22 seniors, with maybe 14 seniors who started. A very small junior class; maybe 13 kids, though several (Sean Miller, Tim Echan) were standouts. Also, a large and talented sophomore class.

It may surprise some people, but the 2000 Solon roster had only 62 players.

Solon played a lot of guys both ways in 2000. But Byron spelled those starters liberally and often did so with younger players. Because of that, many sophs played key roles and gained valuable experience. Add to that the fact that Solon had most games clinched by halftime, and Morgan was able to build depth by letting the kids play. And younger guys played key moments in big games. Byron didn't hold them back.

Solon would only return two or three starters in 2001. The fact that Solon went 10-2 that year with the same kids who were reserves the year before speaks volumes about their talent and the experience they had gained in 2000.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-21-10 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-22-10, 08:33 PM
All District

solon22 is on a distinguished road
That 2000 team was special i am not sure if we will ever have a team that good.they were just down right tough kids.
Old 08-22-10, 09:07 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by solon22 View Post
That 2000 team was special i am not sure if we will ever have a team that good.they were just down right tough kids.
I know it is sacreligious, but Solon's got a chance to equal or (dare I say?) even exceed the accomplishments of the 2000 team. The Comets have gathered a special collection of talent, particularly in the junior and sophomore classes.

These kids have a chance to be great, really great. I've been watching this team come together for two years now. When these kids mature as a functioning unit, it will be beautiful to behold. It may happen this year. It will certainly happen by 2011. I'm sure of it.
Old 08-22-10, 09:51 PM
All District

solon22 is on a distinguished road
I am a big solon fan and i hope you are right but they have to do it on the field.This is not the first team that was suppose to be as good as 2000 still have not seen it maybe this is the year lets hope.... GO COMETS
Old 08-22-10, 09:58 PM
All Yappi

This team is still young; that's why it might take a year to mature. But the junior and sophomore classes have more impact-type athletes than I have ever seen at Solon. More than I've seen almost anywhere.

Many of these kids are unknown to the casual fan, but people will know soon enough. Most of them will make their varsity debuts this Friday. It's going to be a special night for Solon football.
Old 08-22-10, 10:58 PM
All Yappi

I forgot to mention this earlier but Solon's captains are Chris Humphrey, A.J. Hicks, Jovon Johnson and Sam Camiener. Excellent choices all.
Old 08-23-10, 09:34 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metacomet View Post
I know it is sacreligious, but Solon's got a chance to equal or (dare I say?) even exceed the accomplishments of the 2000 team. The Comets have gathered a special collection of talent, particularly in the junior and sophomore classes.

These kids have a chance to be great, really great. I've been watching this team come together for two years now. When these kids mature as a functioning unit, it will be beautiful to behold. It may happen this year. It will certainly happen by 2011. I'm sure of it.
That's an aggressive, emphatic, some may say, somewhat nervy post Metacomet. But, BOY do I hope you're right. On just the chance to equal as you stated, is fine with me, we just all have to keep the faith, and maybe some prayers for the team's health through out the year. ( and beat Mentor to start with)
Old 08-25-10, 11:34 PM
All Yappi

Solon was picked #2 in the Plain Dealer's top 25 team rankings, which were posted earlier tonight. Glenville was #1. Mentor was third; St. Ignatius was sixth.

Other ranked NOC teams were Strongsville (13th); Mayfield (15th); Twinsburg (16th); Hudson (17th) and North Royalton (18th).

Chris Humphrey and Kyle Hammonds were chosen numbers 21 and 24, respectively, in the PD's top 40 player rankings.

I think the Pee Dee dropped the ball by failing to select either A.J. Hicks or Nate Hoff in its top 40. But then again, I'm biased.

Last edited by Metacomet; 08-26-10 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-26-10, 09:45 AM
All Yappi

Pee Dee dropped the ball! As they did back in the day concerning Solon in pre-season rankings and predictions. Not this season concerning team rank, but leaving Hicks and Hoff "off", c'mon. And there are possible few others.

I remember one year they left off Shimits and Tigay.

But we have to be happy that this year we got major props, now we have to just live up to it. (as best we can) GO COMETS!!!!!!!
Old 09-19-10, 07:39 AM
All District

2012parent is on a distinguished road
Respect or what?

Wanted to get the Yappi's to start re-discussing what their thoughts are to this point in the season. Although we've had a couple threads discuss Solon’s competitors, I am interested to get some perspectives from the Solon fans, competitions fans, and those that are true outsiders and what they read/see/hear.

My $.02 – The team is playing very well. They’ve overcome more then what IMO consider above average injury’s. Key position players, at the line, defensive backfield, special teams, and other players that add value to the starting and key backup positions.

The Juniors that did not play much or any varsity last year have really stepped up. Cory Stewart as a WR and in the backfield on defense, Ryan Schwenke as well on defense as both line backer (3-5) and DB. Daniel Sutyak, has he stepped, playing LB last yr in the JVs, breaking his arm, now on the line against kids physically taller and larger and again stepping up on both o-line and d-line. Rustifo playing WR what add-on as a receiver. Let’s not forget Alex Knight. I understand he really worked very very hard this past summer on kick-offs, xtra points, and punting. Areas we knew when Hicks left last year we’d need that consistent replacement and Alex has done more then expected. There are several other new Varsity players that have made the transition from last years outstanding Varsity squad to this year, without losing the tone and consistency.
Seniors - You have Regis Palmer who really worked hard this off season, never played varsity until now as a senior and is playing extremely well and consistent on both d-line and o-line.
Sophomore’s – Ryan Pastor, Shilo (sp?), Hicks, Crenshaw, WOW!! Some outstanding sophomore’s that are doing more then expected and making a great positive impact to the success of this team.

I know I’ve missed several other NEW varsity players and I know without all their hard work, knowing what it means to be ready WHENEVER they are called out to step in, as well as making a difference.

With the 6 remaining games against some long time rivals and teams we’ve had difficulty with in the past, will that be enough to help us get over the playoff hunt if/when we paly Eds, South, or a Glenville?

What's up with the PD not getting the information correct on the articles and not getting much props to Solon???

We don't really need the PD, OUR ACTIONS ARE MUCH STRONGER THEN ANY WORDS WRITTEN!!

Keep up the GREAT work Comets!!

THOUGHTS??
Old 09-20-10, 03:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012parent View Post
Wanted to get the Yappi's to start re-discussing what their thoughts are to this point in the season. Although we've had a couple threads discuss Solon’s competitors, I am interested to get some perspectives from the Solon fans, competitions fans, and those that are true outsiders and what they read/see/hear.

My $.02 – The team is playing very well. They’ve overcome more then what IMO consider above average injury’s. Key position players, at the line, defensive backfield, special teams, and other players that add value to the starting and key backup positions.

The Juniors that did not play much or any varsity last year have really stepped up. Cory Stewart as a WR and in the backfield on defense, Ryan Schwenke as well on defense as both line backer (3-5) and DB. Daniel Sutyak, has he stepped, playing LB last yr in the JVs, breaking his arm, now on the line against kids physically taller and larger and again stepping up on both o-line and d-line. Rustifo playing WR what add-on as a receiver. Let’s not forget Alex Knight. I understand he really worked very very hard this past summer on kick-offs, xtra points, and punting. Areas we knew when Hicks left last year we’d need that consistent replacement and Alex has done more then expected. There are several other new Varsity players that have made the transition from last years outstanding Varsity squad to this year, without losing the tone and consistency.
Seniors - You have Regis Palmer who really worked hard this off season, never played varsity until now as a senior and is playing extremely well and consistent on both d-line and o-line.
Sophomore’s – Ryan Pastor, Shilo (sp?), Hicks, Crenshaw, WOW!! Some outstanding sophomore’s that are doing more then expected and making a great positive impact to the success of this team.

I know I’ve missed several other NEW varsity players and I know without all their hard work, knowing what it means to be ready WHENEVER they are called out to step in, as well as making a difference.

With the 6 remaining games against some long time rivals and teams we’ve had difficulty with in the past, will that be enough to help us get over the playoff hunt if/when we paly Eds, South, or a Glenville?

What's up with the PD not getting the information correct on the articles and not getting much props to Solon???

We don't really need the PD, OUR ACTIONS ARE MUCH STRONGER THEN ANY WORDS WRITTEN!!

Keep up the GREAT work Comets!!

THOUGHTS??
I didn't see this post earlier. Really, the team needs to get healthy. Solon needs to get some of the injured guys back and get them some playing time. If that happens, the Comets will be a really, really deep team. Special teams play will probably improve, too, when we get guys like Penn and Berry back in uniform.

Solon also needs to spend the next six weeks cleaning up the loose ends in its game. By that, I mean the penalties and turnovers. The Comets make way too many mistakes for a quality football team. The team must minimize those mistakes, because they could be fatal in a playoff game against a strong opponent.

I talked about some of the younger guys stepping up in another thread and I see you've done the same here. It's given me much satisfaction to watch the sophomores and juniors grow into varsity players this fall, and seeing how good they've become.

I've been following them since freshman ball and I've been posting about them on Yappi for the last two years, so I feel like their biggest booster. I knew these kids were special but they've been even better than I expected. They've contributed to the team even faster than I could have hoped.

I knew that guys like Hill, Stuart, Sutyak, Etheridge etc. would be good varsity players as soon as they cracked the lineup.

And I knew that sophs like Pastor, Smalls-Moore, Crenshaw and Hicks would be stars. I just didn't know so many would be stars so soon. Pastor and Hicks are starters already and Shiloh is a semi-regular. Crenshaw had his breakout game with 142 yards last week at Parma. He'll have many, many more games like that before he's through.

It could be even better. When guys like Kresevic, Circelli and Berry get healthy, fans will see that they're impact players, too. Unfortunately for Kresevic and Circelli, that won't be until 2011.

Drew Barksdale is now back and playing, so I expect to see him making a contribution in the next few games.

Last edited by Metacomet; 09-21-10 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-22-10, 12:27 PM
All District

BUCKS45 is on a distinguished road
Hard Work/Solon Pride

MY .02 cents worth !

I think the thing I have noticed is all the "hard work" that is going on from the players to the coaches to the Administration and of course to us the parents of the student athletes.

Some small things I see that have changed over the years is the attitude of the athletes. This guys work hard to get better every year. We have a new attitude in the weight room. We have more athletes competing for positions on the field and that always helps to have competition for positions (nothing is given out anymore). Coaches are also working harder in the off season to train these athletes. I also think the "best athletes" are getting on to the field, regardless of grade. Some may say this is not happening but for me.....I think it happens most of the time, but that was not always the case in years past.

It is always important to combine a team (seniors with the supporting cast of juniors and sophmores). With the upper class leading the way and the younger classes meshing with the seniors. I find that very important and last year was a perfect case of the seniors leading and the younger classes following suit. I think that is happening again and the younger grades are contributing again. Next year it will happen again and again. I like the trend that is happening.

Coaches and the Administration have been doing an excellent job of supporting the program. Our coaching staff works there tail ends off for these kids. If the kids want to get better and perform on the field at a high level, they have one of the best staffs to teach them how to win. Additions to the staff (McDaniels, Richardson, Wasserman, Stanchek) are not by accident. These hires were made to make this program better and everyone has benefitted from them. MCQuaide knew we had to be better in this area and he was not afraid to go out and get help.

I like to believe Solon has developed a "program". If the kids want to play football in Solon, they have a very good chance of playing for the league title every year and maybe even a chance at a State Title. Last year was a great run at that State Title. I was watching the ND and Michigan State game and if any one saw that fake FG that went for a winning TD, I wonder if Glenville would have been "coached" well enough to defend that play if we had pulled up and had Chris throw a TD to Darryl streaking down the sideline?

I wish all the athletes and the coaches in the program best of luck this year in their run to the State Title. It is very possible.

Go Comets .......Pride, Pride, Pride !!
Old 09-22-10, 09:55 PM
All Yappi

Cool One of the best!

Absolutely one of the best Solon posts I've ever read since I came on Yappi 5 or so years ago. Kudos Bucks.
Old 09-23-10, 09:26 PM
All District

vipermanhuntx is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurri-Comet View Post
Absolutely one of the best Solon posts I've ever read since I came on Yappi 5 or so years ago. Kudos Bucks.
I agree...you just epitomized Solon Football. Great post!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: