Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 10-13-18, 12:21 PM
Junior Varsity

Stark Football_13 is on a distinguished road
Week 9: Hoover (6-2) at Bishop Hartley (6-2)

Should be an interesting game, thoughts and opinions?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-18, 12:32 PM
All Yappi

afwpatfire is on a distinguished road
Hope Hoover can come home with a win. Hartley is always tough.
Old 10-13-18, 03:00 PM
All Yappi

BigBulldog is an unknown quantity at this point
Hoover fans what do you know about Bishop Hartley besides there record?
Old 10-13-18, 03:18 PM
All Yappi

A Central Catholic (8-0) [2:6] L 17-42
8/31 H Wheelersburg (7-1) [5:20] W 51-20
9/7 H Bishop Ready (3-5) [5:19] W 49-19
9/14 H Chillicothe (7-1) [2:8] W 49-10
9/21 A Clinton-Massie (7-1) [4:16] L 31-34
9/28 H Bishop Watterson (3-5) [3:11] W 49-28
10/5 A Belmont (3-5) [2:8] W 42-8
10/12 A St Francis DeSales (5-3) [3:11] W 21-14
10/19 H Hoover (6-2) [2:7]
10/26 A St Charles (3-5) [2:7]

Played Central Catholic on 8/24
Old 10-13-18, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
I think Hoover will be ok. I doubt that Hartley has played against a QB like Ashby. Sounds like Hartley is pretty much just run, run, run. Hoover should be able to stop that like they did against Perry. Hoover wins out could get a home playoff game. Wouldn't mind seeing Hoover play Massillon in the playoffs.
Hoover 36 Hartley 20
Old 10-13-18, 03:35 PM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Hartley is very good. They lost 42-17 in week 1 against a loaded Toledo CC. Toledo CC is probably better than any team in Stark County. 17 points is the most TCC has allowed.
Hartley's other loss is to 7-1 Clinton Massie 34-31. Hartley to me is the second best team on Hoover's schedule. I think they are every bit as good as East if not a tad better.

Hartley beat Hoover 24-19 a year ago in NC.Hoover is better on both sides of the ball this year. Hartley seems to be every bit as good as a year ago.

I'd say Hartley is a favorite in this one probably in the 3-7 point margin. Hoover can win this though as it seems like Hoover has really responded since the loss to McKinley and the quick start by Perry.

Hoover actually fell to 10th in the region after winning last night. Hoover may need to win both games to get into the playoffs although a win friday and a loss vs Jackson it is likely they still get in at 7-3. Hoover could end up hosting a game if they win out though. Last year the 8 seed was Canal Winchester with 15.75000 points, Hoover is currently 10th at 16.0500 points. The only good thing is 6th seed Whitehall Yearling is 6th at 16.4875 so there is room to jump. Only 64% of CPU points have been decided once all games today are over.
Old 10-13-18, 03:56 PM
All District

TVDAWGS32 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsupDoc View Post
I think Hoover will be ok. I doubt that Hartley has played against a QB like Ashby. Sounds like Hartley is pretty much just run, run, run. Hoover should be able to stop that like they did against Perry. Hoover wins out could get a home playoff game. Wouldn't mind seeing Hoover play Massillon in the playoffs.
Hoover 36 Hartley 20
Hate to tell you, but many people have thought the same thing about Hartley and being able to stop their rushing attack. They are basic in what they do offensively, but they do what they do extremely well. They are well coached, disciplined and dont make many mistakes. Tri Valley played them in the regional finals last year and we barely beat them. They uncharacteristically made a lot of mistakes (namely chop blocking) that came back to haunt them. And sure, that was last year, but they pretty much always have a good team and follow the same blueprint for their success.Hartley is also extremely physical and they have played a really tough schedule (TCC, DeSales, Clinton Massie and Chillicothe to name a few). I will actually be rooting for Hartley since Tri Valley is in the same region as Hoover and vying to make it into the playoffs. I'll predict 24-17 Hartley
Old 10-13-18, 04:03 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Hoover 36 Hartley 20
I would love to see Hoover play Massillon in the playoffs.I think Hoover's passing game could give the tigers trouble.

Hoover 42 Hartley 21
Old 10-13-18, 04:20 PM
All American

sapientia et veritas is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
Hoover fans what do you know about Bishop Hartley besides there record?
Hartley is a system-based team.

It's the same system as last year (and every year since 2009), just different kids. Long slow drives, physical play, and lots of speed and power running. Unique mix of wing-t, single wing, double wing, and all kinds of motion and misdirection. Front six or seven line up heel to heel, elbow to elbow, shoulder to shoulder with what looks like no running lanes. Some guys on the line do dive cut blocking, other guys pull and shift. Complicated blocking schemes. The line will be strong, aggressive, and fast. Two of the guys have D-1 offers. In short yardage, extra defensive lineman will be added in I, slot, or wing. At this point in the season, they're performing better than peak last season.

Last year's team did not have a featured running back like Hartley teams typically do. It was more of a platoon system, including a kid picked up by Walsh. This season the feature downhill mixed speed/power back is Jalen January. Power fullback is Mason Sawyer who doubles as linebacker and long-snapper. One shifty SB is Philip Cole who also plays WR and punt returner. He will be the fastest player on the field. The other guy in the same job is Angelo Evans. Not blazing fast but fast enough. There's a young sophomore, Marcellus Parker, who gets some offensive reps who is an absolute monster. Mostly plays LB, but he's going to be unstoppable next season from the backfield. Given the Vikings size, he will probably get some action to add to the physical pounding.

Current quarterback was planned to be a three year starter last season but got injured against Toledo Central Catholic in last season's opener. The backup was a senior who earned and kept the starting slot. The super sophomore is now a junior and starting this season, and he is fast, like top 10 in the 100 fast. Eight games into the season, and he's finally developed as a confident leader. Not a great passing percentage, but pretty good.

Kicker is a senior. Rarely misses. Kicked clutch winning field goal in state title games in 2016. Range is 45-50. Does a legal pop up kickoff that has caught a few teams napping already this season. Team is not afraid to onside kick a lot. And fake punt a bit. Just hallmarks of the system. Kickoff coverage has always been lousy, so he'll kick it out of bounds if the wind is in his face. Punter is OK. Rugby styled like the all are, but he knows how to get top spins and rolls. Return teams are both good and blazing fast.

Defensive is strong fast and physical. Corners are handsey and play man ball. Not particularly tall. Linebackers are led by Mason Sawyer, the son of the bizarro offense coach mastermind. Line is huge; objectively D-1 sized. Freshman 86 Daniel Tooson is certain to be a two season all-state player if he stays healthy.

This years team is quite a bit better than last season's. But any Hartley team can be beat by tough, physical teams who don't get confused with the misdirection, don't surrender the edge, and have been coached well enough to stay smart at the second level and move up once the play is known.

Have no idea what to expect from Hoover. I was surprised we beat them last year. Just a failure by the Hoover coaches to capitalize on obvious weaknesses and making the right adjustments. They'll be better prepared for the Hawks this season. Hartley has nothing but respect for the Federal League, and we're proud of the opportunity to play against the Vikings. Hoping for a great game. Safe travels! Spent 8 years driving to and from Walsh went my kids went there, and I still love the area and its fabulous support of high school football. (even if it's waning)
Old 10-15-18, 03:55 PM
All Ohio

WhatsupDoc
BigBulldog. I think you're right about Hoover's passing game. Hoover winning out should get them a home playoff game. Probably wouldn't play Massillon till 2nd or 3rd round. I wonder where they would play that?

Good Luck All
Old 10-15-18, 06:40 PM
All American

Quote:
BigBulldog. I think you're right about Hoover's passing game. Hoover winning out should get them a home playoff game. Probably wouldn't play Massillon till 2nd or 3rd round. I wonder where they would play that?
Should probably worry about the game on Zettler Rd in Columbus this Friday first.

I know Hoover is a NEO and everything, but what exactly do they have that leads a Starker to think 42-21? Do they have same defensive coordinator as last season? Hartley has East's speed, Hoover's size, and good discipline. I can't see the Vikings putting up the kind of points that Toledo Central Catholic did. Maybe against a Lake or Green.
Old 10-15-18, 07:00 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Good Luck All
I know this is extremely wishful thinking (and not big enough) but I would like the game at lake lol. But maybe Tom Benson?
Old 10-15-18, 07:04 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post
Should probably worry about the game on Zettler Rd in Columbus this Friday first.

I know Hoover is a NEO and everything, but what exactly do they have that leads a Starker to think 42-21? Do they have same defensive coordinator as last season? Hartley has East's speed, Hoover's size, and good discipline. I can't see the Vikings putting up the kind of points that Toledo Central Catholic did. Maybe against a Lake or Green.
North Canton has a very efficient quarterback. Their receivers are tall. Their offense will score points. North Canton also has a tough RB similar to last years RB. North Canton's defense has been improving. They are still susceptible to giving up long runs around the edge. However, they were able to make adjustments against Perry to shut them down. Perry has a similar offense. Hoover has seen Hartley's offense from last year so I would hope the coaches know what to expect. I think it will be a hard fought battle similar to last year.
Old 10-15-18, 07:26 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler View Post
Perry has a similar offense.
Perry runs a standard Delaware, but similar enough. Will be interesting to see QB. We'll see how he does under pressure and throwing into a secondary with some speed. We did OK against Wheelersburg.
Old 10-15-18, 07:30 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapientia et veritas View Post

Don't mind BigBulldog. His shtick is hyping Hoover so if they come up short he can claim they are overrated.

Hoover has a balanced offense with a number of very good skill players and good size on the line. Hopefully we won't let Hartley get away with stacking 10 in the box like last year (still fired up about that)

The defense did struggle against the run early on but has made strides the last few weeks including against Perry which runs a similar offense and last week holding the Fed's leading rusher in check. This will be another stiff test.

Don't care if it's by 1 or 21 just want to come back with a W, we let one get away vs Hartley last year.

Hoover 24 Hartley 21
Old 10-15-18, 07:50 PM
Freshman

HartleyFan is on a distinguished road
I have seen Hartley play every single game this year and they have a very strong team. Hartley plays each game as they come and never underestimate any opponent that they may face. Hoover like all the other teams that Hartley has played this year is another strong opponent that will give Hartley a run for their money. As far as Hoover's quarterback is concerned Bishop Hartley has seen several quarterbacks with just as much credentials as he has and have done well against them. Bishop Hartley has a physical and athletic offensive line that blocks well for several backs and a quarterback that can throw very accurately. Our defensive line is getting stronger and stronger each game and we proved that last week against Desales when we held Desales scoreless in the second half. North Canton Hoover is going to be another great challenge for Bishop Hartley and I look forward to going to the game and and cheering for my Hartley Hawks. I pray that it is a a well-played game with no injuries and I wish the best of luck to both teams.
Old 10-15-18, 08:25 PM
All District

triple option is on a distinguished road
Hartley is very talented in the skill positions, QB is dual threat can score at anytime, with very physical line play. Couple track stars on that team, hard to imagine anyone having the ability to keep up with #7, fastest kid we've seen all year. Good luck Hawks from CM.
Old 10-15-18, 08:26 PM
All American

my2sense is on a distinguished road
sap - that's one of the best scouting reports I've read on here for a long time.

Sounds like a tough match up for Hoover on the road. If they are looking ahead at all BH will win.
Old 10-15-18, 10:22 PM
Moderated User

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBulldog View Post
I would love to see Hoover play Massillon in the playoffs.I think Hoover's passing game could give the tigers trouble.
Why ?
Old 10-16-18, 12:40 AM
All American

Bluestreakoffice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrestling245 View Post
I know this is extremely wishful thinking (and not big enough) but I would like the game at lake lol. But maybe Tom Benson?
With the ongoing school construction this year Lake will not be used as a playoff field
Old 10-18-18, 06:43 PM
All American

Nice article on the Hawks:

https://columbuscatholic.org/local-news-1
Old 10-18-18, 07:10 PM
All Ohio

Wrestling245 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreakoffice View Post
With the ongoing school construction this year Lake will not be used as a playoff field
Bummer. Makes sense though. Totally passed me lol.
Old 10-19-18, 04:09 AM
All American

88streaks is on a distinguished road
Good luck to the Vikings this week!
Old 10-19-18, 01:54 PM
All Region

CCHS93 is on a distinguished road
From what I have seen of Hartley is that they are an old school running team; which makes it difficult to stop them because its rare. They do look unusual on offense as an almost "anti-spread" offense. They dare you to try to stop their running attack.

Their QB is pretty athletic. He made some good plays against TCC. But overall if Hartley falls behind, they are in trouble. Their lack of a solid passing game can come back to haunt them. Conversely, of they get ahead, they are difficult to come back on because of their ball contol minded offense.

I dont know anything about Hoover so I wont make a prediction. But I want Hartley to win because it means more points for TCC.

One good thing for Hartley this year is that their mega immature and annoying Yappi poster from the past seems to not have returned this year. Thank God. Saurak, or whatever name he changed to after getting banned, made so many Yappi posters root against Hartley.
Old 10-19-18, 09:03 PM
All Ohio

boiler is on a distinguished road
Hartley's defense was better and made a couple stops. North Canton couldn't.
Old 10-20-18, 03:11 PM
Freshman

HartleyFan is on a distinguished road
It was an awesome game with two great teams.
Bishop Hartley 45
Hoover 38

Good luck Hoover on the rest of your season

GO HAWKS.....
Old 10-20-18, 03:26 PM
All Yappi

Hartley is better than i thought they were.I would love to see a re-match.

If it was at North Canton i think Hoover would win by 2 TD's.

Good luck to both teams the rest of the year.