Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 09-17-18, 07:06 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsimp06 View Post
You continue to push that false narrative that we recruit kids with no proof. That is foul.
I've been in Cincinnati since 2010. WW doesn't seem to be a dominant basketball program. Good yes, but not dominate. If they are recruiting they aren't very good at it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-18, 07:09 PM
Moderated User

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
You continue to push that false narrative that we recruit kids with no proof. That is foul.
Uh have seen Woods Junior High teams for years, not that good. Uh but suddenly freshmen teams are beyond good. Uh not that hard to figure out and the major reason Woods got left out of the ECC. Edgewood AD an idiot for scheduling Winton Woods.
Old 09-17-18, 07:44 PM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
Unless some anomaly happens you have to play WW or LaSalle to get out of this region. Might as well give it a shot. Didn’t do too bad against the Sally’s last time and that was clearly 11 on 15 ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-18, 08:11 PM
All American

mrsimp06 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoser View Post
Uh have seen Woods Junior High teams for years, not that good. Uh but suddenly freshmen teams are beyond good. Uh not that hard to figure out and the major reason Woods got left out of the ECC. Edgewood AD an idiot for scheduling Winton Woods.
Yes, what???, the Junior High is usually very good and the PeeWee program is excellent. You are spewing false information
Old 09-17-18, 08:12 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When the heck do boys go through puberty in SW Ohio?
Old 09-17-18, 09:46 PM
All Region

4GX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So as a member of the Winton Woods community I should just except the hand that is dealt and not want more for Winton Woods Athletics? I agree there are some short comings at Winton Woods but the Athletic Dept are trying to address those issues by improving the status of some "Country Club" sports. As a former member of the community I find it troubling that you've turned our back on the very people who helped nurture you during your formative years, I feel like you accented the negative aspects of our community, also whats the big deal about being aware of the F section? As I dissect your paragraphs I surmise you are a Greenhills guy who never was supportive of the merger between the 2 disticts and did not attend Winton Woods/Forest Park.
As noted above (by me) and below (by Over The Hills), I am NOT a Greenhills guy ( I grew up in the "F" Section)-- and "the merger of the two districts" never occurred-- there was ALWAYS only one district-- it was first the Greenhills School District, then the Greenhills-Forest Park School District, then (ultimately, after the two HIGH SCHOOLS were merged) it became the Winton Woods School District, to create a sense of commonality among the two cities/towns encompassed in the district-- and I never opposed the merger, as it was clearly called for-- on strictly a declining enrollment/numbers basis.

As to what you should do, i would contend that first, you should stop worrying so much about what/how the WW athletic teams are doing, and throw all of your time, money, blood, sweat, tears, and toil into convincing the rest of your fellow WW parents that improving the academic performance and the non-athletic extracurriculars of WW schools is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for improving WW students' lot in life--NOT worrying about a silly thing like which athletic conference (if any) the school's teams compete in.

While working on improving WW's "country club" sports offerings (both in number and competitiveness) WOULD help WW to gain admission to a desirable athletic conference (despite what all the blinded-by-football Colerain and WW fanboys on here would have you believe), it is STILL NOT the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING for WW's parents to address--because it misses the elephant in the room-- the WW's district's incredibly bad academic performance (as a whole)-- which is also responsible for the TERRIBLE rate of home value appreciation in the district-- again, I can speak from extremely painful first-hand experience on all of these matters.

You say that "As a former member of the community I find it troubling that you've turned [y]our back on the very people who helped nurture you during your formative years"-- you couldn't BE more wrong-- as a young(er) manager in a technical field at the biggest, most prestigious Cincinnati-based company, I used to regularly come back to speak at WW's Career Day about "STEM" based careers and opportunities at that company-- and many others-- those companies were (AND ARE) DESPERATE to hire qualified minority graduates into their management training programs-- yet all I heard from the young men that I spoke to was "I'm gonna play in the NFL" or "I'm gonna play in the NBA"... at the time, only ONE Forest Park or WW grad (in the then nearly 30-year combined history of the two schools) had ever played in either league (Carlton Gray)-- so, having a science and fact oriented personality, I tried explaining the incredibly long (BAD) odds against making either of those choices a career-- but the kids just weren't interested...after a while, it just got too discouraging to go back, year after year, and hear the same ridiculous response-- the phrase "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" seems to apply perfectly here...

P.S.-- And the reason I keep saying that you need to work on your fellow WW parents is because-- THAT is the ONLY THING that matters, when it comes to creating a GREAT School District-- it's not students, it's not teachers, it's not buildings or facilities, it's not books, it's not computers, it's not funding-- it's not ANYTHING else but really involved PARENTS-- who are focused on the right thing-- the thing that counts-- which is academic performance, first, last, and ALWAYS. If you have a bad school district (based on academic performance), every parent in that school district should look themself in the mirror EVERY MORNING-- and say to themself "I'm the reason our school district is not doing well-- i'm not doing enough to put emphasis on the one thing that matters-- and I need to spend all my time trying to improve that-- and get my fellow district parents to do the same!" And all of these WW parents on here who are worrying about what athletic conference their kids' school plays in are NOT NEARLY working on the one thing that matters.
Old 09-17-18, 09:51 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
He is NOT a Greenhills guy.
F section guys always went to Forest Park.
H section got bused to Greenhills HS in those days.

You are wasting your time.
He is a St X guy that lived in FP as a kid.
Repackages what others have said a thousand times on here in gigantic posts but no new insight.
Of course any new insights are wasted on football-clogged, willfully deaf ears...
Old 09-17-18, 10:01 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocards View Post
It definitely appears that there are a lot of adults that are not acting in the best interest of the kids. It shouldn't be Winton Woods against the world. These are just high school kids that are being deprived of an experience that every other school in the area has, a conference affiliation.
When it comes to athletics, the WW kids who play football aren't being deprived of anything-- they play 10 games a year (I'm old enough to remember when many teams had regular seasons of only 8 or 9 games-- and there WERE NO PLAYOFFS in those days), and then they go into the playoffs every year-- if anything, the only athletes "being deprived of an experience" at WW are those very kids who might like to participate in one of the MANY common team sports that other local schools tend to offer (the much maligned "country club sports"), but which WW does NOT-- or, in some cases, WW offers the sport, but the team is so bad (either due to lack of turnout or lack of qualified, skilled coaching) that it is MISERABLE playing for the team, because they get routed off the field in every contest.
Old 09-17-18, 10:28 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWarrior View Post
Redskin17,

I'm not sure that I agree with you that the SWOC is the best fit. Clearly leagues are formed primarily over competition level at major sport category (football, soccer, basketball). This business of "total program" is nothing but code speak and has been from the beginning of the ECC. In fact, I probably have the video of the former Loveland AD going on and on about how the league was formed on common academic standards and common goals. Again, "code speak".

It was very obvious from the beginning that Kings and Turpin have been and continue to be dead set against having Winton Woods be part of the ECC. Even in the days of the FAVC, Kings in particular, avoided WW like the plague. Look it up. Why? Anderson, Glen Este, Amelia, Loveland never avoided Winton Woods. And I'm sorry, its not because of baseball, tennis, or girls rowing teams. it's clearly about football, basketball and soccer. It's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

What has been a benefit of being independent is in those sports (particularly football), to be the best you have to play the best. Kings and Turpin usually find that out early in the tourney. Winton Woods brings something to the ECC. Back in the day, Anderson and Loveland understood that fact. ECC is where the good DII teams are and what our WW kids are missing is recognition that league play provides. Sure playing GCL teams and Columbus Catholic schools help in the rankings. But I really never saw what you suggested about Withrow but I do see greater participation in nonfootball sports for WW if they were in a league such as the ECC. That is where WW deserves to be, not the SWOC.

GMC is a non-starter D1 league and they have made a point of that each time they have been approached.
Keep telling yourself this-- keep telling yourself that "Clearly leagues are formed primarily over competition level at major sport category" (despite the fact that MILFORD[!] managed to get into the GMC at one point-- before leaving because they NEVER were and never have been competitive at the highest level in football or basketball)...

Keep telling yourself that this stuff about "total programs" is just "code speak" for racism-- the race card is always the first refuge of someone with a weak argument for their point of view...

You keep telling yourself that-- and you will NEVER see WW get that conference invite that it could EASILY have, if it would address problems that are easily addressable-- but which WW parents, students, and administrators simply aren't interested in addressing...

Of course, as I noted above, EVEN getting the conference affiliation that you desire IS NOT going to solve the much larger, crushing problems of the WW district.
Old 09-18-18, 05:58 AM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
I have a number of examples (that stretch back years) of kids I know from Finneytown that were recruited by WW as middle schoolers AND high schoolers. The most recent example i can think of was your QB last year, Mayberry.
Old 09-18-18, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

warriorblue is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GX View Post
As noted above (by me) and below (by Over The Hills), I am NOT a Greenhills guy ( I grew up in the "F" Section)-- and "the merger of the two districts" never occurred-- there was ALWAYS only one district-- it was first the Greenhills School District, then the Greenhills-Forest Park School District, then (ultimately, after the two HIGH SCHOOLS were merged) it became the Winton Woods School District, to create a sense of commonality among the two cities/towns encompassed in the district-- and I never opposed the merger, as it was clearly called for-- on strictly a declining enrollment/numbers basis.

As to what you should do, i would contend that first, you should stop worrying so much about what/how the WW athletic teams are doing, and throw all of your time, money, blood, sweat, tears, and toil into convincing the rest of your fellow WW parents that improving the academic performance and the non-athletic extracurriculars of WW schools is THE MOST IMPORTANT THING for improving WW students' lot in life--NOT worrying about a silly thing like which athletic conference (if any) the school's teams compete in.

While working on improving WW's "country club" sports offerings (both in number and competitiveness) WOULD help WW to gain admission to a desirable athletic conference (despite what all the blinded-by-football Colerain and WW fanboys on here would have you believe), it is STILL NOT the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING for WW's parents to address--because it misses the elephant in the room-- the WW's district's incredibly bad academic performance (as a whole)-- which is also responsible for the TERRIBLE rate of home value appreciation in the district-- again, I can speak from extremely painful first-hand experience on all of these matters.

You say that "As a former member of the community I find it troubling that you've turned [y]our back on the very people who helped nurture you during your formative years"-- you couldn't BE more wrong-- as a young(er) manager in a technical field at the biggest, most prestigious Cincinnati-based company, I used to regularly come back to speak at WW's Career Day about "STEM" based careers and opportunities at that company-- and many others-- those companies were (AND ARE) DESPERATE to hire qualified minority graduates into their management training programs-- yet all I heard from the young men that I spoke to was "I'm gonna play in the NFL" or "I'm gonna play in the NBA"... at the time, only ONE Forest Park or WW grad (in the then nearly 30-year combined history of the two schools) had ever played in either league (Carlton Gray)-- so, having a science and fact oriented personality, I tried explaining the incredibly long (BAD) odds against making either of those choices a career-- but the kids just weren't interested...after a while, it just got too discouraging to go back, year after year, and hear the same ridiculous response-- the phrase "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" seems to apply perfectly here...

P.S.-- And the reason I keep saying that you need to work on your fellow WW parents is because-- THAT is the ONLY THING that matters, when it comes to creating a GREAT School District-- it's not students, it's not teachers, it's not buildings or facilities, it's not books, it's not computers, it's not funding-- it's not ANYTHING else but really involved PARENTS-- who are focused on the right thing-- the thing that counts-- which is academic performance, first, last, and ALWAYS. If you have a bad school district (based on academic performance), every parent in that school district should look themself in the mirror EVERY MORNING-- and say to themself "I'm the reason our school district is not doing well-- i'm not doing enough to put emphasis on the one thing that matters-- and I need to spend all my time trying to improve that-- and get my fellow district parents to do the same!" And all of these WW parents on here who are worrying about what athletic conference their kids' school plays in are NOT NEARLY working on the one thing that matters.

The WW parents that are posting on this forum have are had kidz that have taken advantage of all the things can offer academically and athletically.. The kids that parricipate in sports are getting the job done. As apparent, tbe many college opportunities that they get. So they have a right to want the best for there kids, on and off the field.
Good things are happening at Ww a academically. The sum of scholarship money that WW students receive ,continues to rise. So if you are an athlete, or an academic student, you can excell. Anyone, who has been in the district since elementary are achieving successful academic results. We have to coninue to work on the kids that come in late. The state report card can be skewed.
Old 09-18-18, 08:28 AM
All Yappi

DonMagicRon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
I have a number of examples (that stretch back years) of kids I know from Finneytown that were recruited by WW as middle schoolers AND high schoolers. The most recent example i can think of was your QB last year, Mayberry.
I'm not sure if people understand the term "recruited". You have to have something to offer the kids. How does this work? Coach Parker is not recruiting anybody.
Old 09-19-18, 09:24 AM
All District

Coach JDean is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
Big ole DII school with all sorts of assets can't compete in anything but football and basketball? I don't understand.
The Wrestling team isn't too bad either. They finished 10th in the SW Ohio District last year which included 44 D1 schools from Cincy and Dayton area and would have been 3rd highest GMC school (behind Mason and Fairfield). WW has had a State placer the last couple of years and 5 wrestlers are currently Wrestling in College on Scholarships!
As a former Coach there, I have to say they have a lot of good stuff going on at WW. They have a fantastic academic program with their AGS academy and project based learning programs to help get kids ready for the "real world" and now with a new building in a couple years, things should flourish even more!!!!
I also think a lot of the kids who attend WW get a bad rap. The majority of the kids (at least ones in the athletic programs that I have been involved with handle themselves with class). Everything was always "yes sir or no sir" and when I took a few on college visits, the coaches were always impressed by our kids. In fact, after a overnight college visit to Notre Dame College, their coach said it was the best visit they have ever had with recruits to their school. I've coach at Harrison, Mason, and Lakota East who all have great programs too, but the kids at WW are special. They are some of the most caring, hard working, and dedicated kids I've ever been around. I know that even my wife and my own kids missed not having the boys around our house this past summer.
I do agree that more parent support would be awesome to have. I feel you have it for football, but not so much in some of the other sports at WW. Some of it has to do with family schedules and work,(Friday nights are a little easier to be off work for), but overall I would say WW has a lot going for itself other than just football and I wish them luck
Old 09-19-18, 02:52 PM
All American

marvinlewis08 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach JDean View Post
The Wrestling team isn't too bad either. They finished 10th in the SW Ohio District last year which included 44 D1 schools from Cincy and Dayton area and would have been 3rd highest GMC school (behind Mason and Fairfield). WW has had a State placer the last couple of years and 5 wrestlers are currently Wrestling in College on Scholarships!
As a former Coach there, I have to say they have a lot of good stuff going on at WW. They have a fantastic academic program with their AGS academy and project based learning programs to help get kids ready for the "real world" and now with a new building in a couple years, things should flourish even more!!!!
I also think a lot of the kids who attend WW get a bad rap. The majority of the kids (at least ones in the athletic programs that I have been involved with handle themselves with class). Everything was always "yes sir or no sir" and when I took a few on college visits, the coaches were always impressed by our kids. In fact, after a overnight college visit to Notre Dame College, their coach said it was the best visit they have ever had with recruits to their school. I've coach at Harrison, Mason, and Lakota East who all have great programs too, but the kids at WW are special. They are some of the most caring, hard working, and dedicated kids I've ever been around. I know that even my wife and my own kids missed not having the boys around our house this past summer.
I do agree that more parent support would be awesome to have. I feel you have it for football, but not so much in some of the other sports at WW. Some of it has to do with family schedules and work,(Friday nights are a little easier to be off work for), but overall I would say WW has a lot going for itself other than just football and I wish them luck
Great post and confirm all of these things are true!!!
Old 09-19-18, 06:04 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
I'm not sure if people understand the term "recruited". You have to have something to offer the kids. How does this work? Coach Parker is not recruiting anybody.
Uh, yeah right.Laughable.
Old 09-19-18, 06:10 PM
All American

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Uh, yeah right.Laughable.

Laughable is correct.

Hoser you are approaching complete bafoonery on this topic.

Please define what you call recruiting.

AND

What are the players getting from these cheating WW people for uprooting their lives and transferring to another school?

Help us out.

Old 09-19-18, 06:15 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post

Fill us in man.
Finally someone who knows everything and is willing to testify.

How’d those fargin bastages from WW do it?

Did the players get cash? Cars?

Or

Does Finneytown just totally suck beyond belief so why not transfer to the open enrollment WW down the street.

Old 09-19-18, 06:26 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Fill us in man.

Or

Does Finneytown just totally suck beyond belief so why not transfer to the open enrollment WW down the street.

Uh, Finneytown, North College Hill,Lockland, Northwest, and a couple of schools in Columbus. Uh and also Princeton.
Old 09-19-18, 06:44 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Fill us in man.

Or

The kids got that free catholic school, uh I mean Winton Woods education. If I had a kid interested in sports I would opt for the open enrollment Winton Woods instead of Finneytown and some other schools mentioned. It's a few football programs circling the drain like Withrow and Hamilton. Underperforming.
Old 09-19-18, 06:54 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMagicRon View Post
The kids got that free catholic school, uh I mean Winton Woods education. If I had a kid interested in sports I would opt for the open enrollment Winton Woods instead of Finneytown and some other schools mentioned. It's a few football programs circling the drain like Withrow and Hamilton. Underperforming.
Uh the reason Woods can compete with the GCL schools, they all recruit the same players. Uh I would say an Elder, Moeller, StX, ,or Lasalle diploma is worth a lot.
Old 09-19-18, 07:03 PM
Moderated User

Quote:
Laughable is correct.

Hoser you are approaching complete bafoonery on this topic.

Please define what you call recruiting.

AND

What are the players getting from these cheating WW people for uprooting their lives and transferring to another school?

Help us out.

Uh, is "bafoonery" a real word? Uh kids don't uproot their lives they simply transfer to an open enrollment team like Woods. Uh I would say most of these kids play on the ForestPark or Winton Woods pee wee teams and just trans fer their freshman year.Not that hard to see, Woods JR High teams are just average, but their freshman team is bad news.
Old 09-19-18, 07:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Uh, is "bafoonery" a real word? Uh kids don't uproot their lives they simply transfer to an open enrollment team like Woods. Uh I would say most of these kids play on the ForestPark or Winton Woods pee wee teams and just trans fer their freshman year.Not that hard to see, Woods JR High teams are just average, but their freshman team is bad news.
Uh. The Freshmen are nasty.. I expect a state title in the next 2 or 3 seasons. But not to worry Hose, Edgewood will win the varsity game this season. Cougars are legit.
Old 09-19-18, 07:38 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd say that junior high is a great barometer of potential high school team success. For starters, junior high teams consist of a single grade, while high school teams are a pool of 4 grades. So the junior high 8th grade team might have just been average with 3 or 4 standout kids. Meanwhile come high school those kids are partnered up with 3 or 4 more standouts from each grade all on one team. Big difference.

And that's not even taking into account puberty. The makeup of a junior high squad compared to the later high school varsity team can most times be night and day with the rosters. Kids that got that early head start due to growing earlier, now don't stand out, as the late bloomers have now grown. Kids that didn't even play in junior high or got cut, are now varsity starters due to hard work, dedication, and just natural body development.

And don't even get started on grade school teams. They pretty much tell you zero about future varsity teams. Yes, ZERO.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 09-19-18, 07:43 PM
All Ohio

Pull-to-Trap is on a distinguished road
WW offers a top tier football program with quality coaching. That and the exposure is worth the open enrollment over those other schools mentioned.

Old 09-19-18, 07:54 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull-to-Trap View Post
WW offers a top tier football program with quality coaching. That and the exposure is worth the open enrollment over those other schools mentioned.

Case closed.

No need to “recruit”.

Old 09-19-18, 08:03 PM
All Yappi

College coaches are always at Winton Woods and our kids are seeing the field on Saturdays. Make it to the state finals and young men and their families take notice. No need to recruit.