Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Football (NFL)

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-22-17, 09:08 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That's because you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old.
Oh boy...that's original....good one Taco...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-17, 09:41 AM
All American

Taco MacArthur can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Oh boy...that's original....good one Taco...
A lot of people telling you you have the reading comprehension of a 5 year old? Not surprised.
Old 08-22-17, 03:50 PM
All Ohio

Monclova Steve is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
I have no issue if a player wants to sit. I also support the NFL and their franchises holding those players accountable for those actions as they see fit. Most importantly, I don't care about it. Sit, stand, do backflips, it's just silly drama people like 14red care about imo. But expect to see a lot more of it in the coming weeks as players react to the President's comments re: Charlottesville.
^^^ This.
Old 08-22-17, 03:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
I could not care less about what players do during the national anthem. However, my opinion on the issue has nothing to do with whether your claim that they'll stop playing the anthem within a year is idiotic. Which it most certainly was.
^^^ This also.
Old 08-22-17, 03:58 PM
All Ohio

A bunch of Browns' players knelt for the anthem before the game on Monday night. Several players also gathered 'round and put their arms on the shoulders of the kneeling players to show support -- including.......gasp!......Deshone Kizer!

Is it OK for Kizer to do, but not OK for Kaepernick?
Old 08-30-17, 05:43 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Canada doesn't want me either,poor Johnny Football better have a few...BAM!

Last edited by Raymo; 08-30-17 at 06:18 PM..
Old 09-10-17, 05:46 PM
All Yappi

Crusaders is on a distinguished road
The Colts might actually be worse than the Jets.
Old 09-10-17, 10:34 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monclova Steve View Post
A bunch of Browns' players knelt for the anthem before the game on Monday night. Several players also gathered 'round and put their arms on the shoulders of the kneeling players to show support -- including.......gasp!......Deshone Kizer!

Is it OK for Kizer to do, but not OK for Kaepernick?
They stood arm-in-arm with cops, firefighters, and soldiers for the anthem today.
Old 09-16-17, 01:11 AM
All Yappi

Sig Hansen can only hope to improve
Granted it's only Canada, but situations like this really make you wonder what the hell the NFL is doing sometimes and how they continue to shoot themselves in the foot in regards to fan experience. You eliminate the Sunday ticket cable package and put all your trust in a small UK company that doesn't seem to have any idea what it's doing? Christ

http://nationalpost.com/sports/footb...into-with-dazn

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-s...lems-1.4289869
Old 09-16-17, 02:17 AM
All Yappi

Whoever made that decision should be fired immediately.
Old 09-16-17, 02:24 AM
All Yappi

I'd imagine if the issues aren't fixed by week 3 (which seems unlikely) the NFL will try to break the contract and go back to offering the cable packages. But that will take serval more weeks or even the whole season to negotiate. It's just shocking that the NFL thought it would work in the first place when that company has no experience doing anything near as big as the NFL before.
Old 09-16-17, 03:08 AM
All Yappi

I believe DAZN does pretty much everything in Germany. But their framerame isn't good enough for football and their HD isn't HD, kind of like something between 480 and 720. For $20 a month it's not a bad deal if it actually worked.
Old 09-16-17, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
They, (the knee boys) were given no practical economic choice to do otherwise. They got called out on their silly, all show, do nothing protest and cowarded out when they had the chance to show they were legitimately conflicted as opposed to you know, trying to find an audience. Let one of the fckers kneel during the standard while standing next to a cop, a fireman, a vet. Not happening.

If they don't stand when the people they're protesting, the ones that actually risk their lives and save other lives are standing right there? $$$ buh bye.

These nflers are fill of $hit. Don't see them patrolling dangerous neighborhoods, living a preacher's life and using that money to hire neighborhood watch, drive out drug dealers, build inner-city business. Giving them even the remotest credit or those that put their hands on their shoulders is blind stupidity.
Old 09-18-17, 06:02 PM
All Yappi

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/m...just-the-rams/

I love a good NFL sh1tshow
Old 09-18-17, 06:07 PM
All Yappi

This was the Chargers stadium on Sunday afternoon, most of which were Dolphin fans. It's a 27k seat stadium and did not sell out for the team's first game. I'll say this team stays in LA for around 10 years before moving to Mexico City.

Old 09-18-17, 06:25 PM
All Yappi

Moving two teams to LA will no doubt go down as one of the NFL's biggest mistakes. What a mess.

I'd predict Jacksonville moving to Mexico City if any NFL team does. While they're at it, how about the Bills to Toronto and Chargers to Portland.
Old 09-18-17, 06:28 PM
All American

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
This was the Chargers stadium on Sunday afternoon, most of which were Dolphin fans. It's a 27k seat stadium and did not sell out for the team's first game. I'll say this team stays in LA for around 10 years before moving to Mexico City.

Mexico City is a terrible idea, so I'm sure it is bound to happen
Old 09-19-17, 02:18 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Mexico City is a terrible idea, so I'm sure it is bound to happen
There's a bazillion people in Mexico City and the NFL wants to expand into Spanish speaking markets I think. It makes a helluva lot more sense than putting two teams in LA
Old 09-19-17, 03:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sig Hansen View Post
There's a bazillion people in Mexico City and the NFL wants to expand into Spanish speaking markets I think. It makes a helluva lot more sense than putting two teams in LA
Yeah they're flush with cash and love American football. I have worked with plenty if Mexicans here in the states and only a couple of them follow any sort of American football be it college or pro. Both ideas, LA and Mexico City are completely terrible
Old 09-19-17, 07:31 PM
All Yappi

The NFL would have to accept a team in Mexico City is likely to run in the red for a decade or two.
Old 09-19-17, 08:10 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaders View Post
The NFL would have to accept a team in Mexico City is likely to run in the red for a decade or two.
Yeah I'm sure that the owner will love that proposal!
Old 09-19-17, 08:50 PM
All Yappi

Depends if the owners see Mexico as a viable opportunity in the long run. There are a few issues they'll have to consider:

1. Mexico City, and most of the country, is pretty rough. I imagine a lot of players are not going to want to live there.

2. The exchange rate will cause a lot of issues. Even the NHL takes hits all the time because of the CAD/USD exchange rate and those currencies are a lot closer in value.

3. Mexico will probably not produce many good football players. The ultimate goals of getting into new markets are a broader fans base and an influx of new talent to improve the product, but the average Mexican male is like 5'4" (Mexican-American males average 5'7").

4. In Mexico City, the season will take place during the tropical rainy season, and I can't see the NFL being able to convince the Mexican government to finance a domed stadium just for them. The good news here, I think, is a 65,000-seater can be built in Mexico for fraction of what it would cost in the US. This stadium seats almost 53,000 and cost just $200m:

It may be possible for the NFL to partner with one of the Mexican soccer clubs to build a stadium.

Last edited by Crusaders; 09-19-17 at 09:03 PM..
Old 09-19-17, 09:47 PM
All American

It's funny you mention the height of them. I play basketball with Hispanics that I work with and I get to play center because I am taller than all of them. They also suck at basketball and make me look good when I am average.
Old 09-19-17, 10:38 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
Mexicans only like sports you can play for fewer than 5 pesos in equipment.
Old 09-20-17, 06:58 AM
All American

Selling NFL priced tickets will be tough
Old 09-20-17, 03:49 PM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
There is alot of noise about the NFL's ratings being down, attendance, etc.

I think we may finally be seeing the bubble burst on the NFL's popularity. Some factors to consider...
1. Much like baseball, the rabid NFL fan is aging. 20 somethings are just not going to sit for 3 hours and watch a football game. They follow on their phones and can see highlights instantaneously.
2. So if they are not going to sit and watch a game for 3 hours, how would you expect someone to go to a game in person, generally a 6 hour plus commitment?
3. So many other things to watch on TV, or do outside.
4. Don't judge attendance on the Rams and Chargers, they aren't going to draw for a few years anyway. The Chargers may never recover.
5. fantasy football used to carry the NFL, but that's becoming more difficult because of the injuries and the lack of traditional go-to guys. Few teams have a traditional work horse back, instead using running back by committee. This makes it nearly impossible to have a good fantasy league because we have guys on our teams who get a few touches a game.
6. I don't think the Kaepernik thing is that big of deal, but for some it is. Rocky Boiman of WLW said it really good the other day, he said that there are alot of people who just are tired of "entitled" athletes always whining about things. They have a great life, they make more money than very few professions and no one really cares about their political ideals. They are popular because they are great athletes. Some humbleness by them would be a breath of fresh air.

I think the NFL is going to have to look at their model moving forward. The fear of injuries and concussions have led to less and less practice time, and the product is sloppy.
Old 09-20-17, 04:00 PM
All Yappi

MLS is the up-and-comer now. It may be nipping at the NFL's heels in a couple decades: no commercials in-game, 2 hours guaranteed, and a game with few stoppages in play.
Old 09-20-17, 04:18 PM
All World

Neopolitan is on a distinguished road
For a long time, the NFL made a conscious effort to emphasize the franchises rather than the players. In contrast to the NBA, which is and always has been star driven. This was smart, because players come and go but teams remain(for the most part.) It's why perennial bottom feeders are able to sell out consistently. You don't really see that in other sports.

But with as influential as social media is, especially on younger fans, the lack of personalities makes it difficult to market the league. Compared to the NBA where guys like Lebron, KD, Westbrook, Curry, Kyrie, Harden, etc. all have very distinct personalities and draw interest from fans outside of what they do on the court.

Antonio Brown is either the best or 2nd best receiver in the NFL over the last 5 seasons. He's just entering the prime of his career, on a team that consistently contends for championships, seems to be a cool guy, etc.

Yet he had to do Dancing with the Stars to increase his brand appeal. Can you imagine Westbrook doing dancing with the stars during the offseason with the hopes of getting more endorsement deals?

The only NFL star most of the non-football fan population would recognize without his helmet and jersey is probably Brady, and that's because he's married to a super model. He's also incredibly boring and seemingly devoid of any personality.

Basically, I think the NFL's model of marketing their product was much smarter than the NBA's for a long time, but social media may have changed things.

It's not the only factor, but definitely one of them.
Old 09-20-17, 04:24 PM
All Yappi

That's more the fault of Goodell. 10 years ago we had personalities in the NFL people talked about.
Old 09-22-17, 09:45 PM
All Yappi

Looks like the NFL already regrets moving the Chargers to LA: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...n-los-angeles/