Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 02-18-18, 09:06 AM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Information Request: Vandalia-Butler Football History

Working on filling in the gaps of Butler Football history, particularly weekly results from the 1949 through 1931 seasons, and possibly even earlier.

If anyone has any information, I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail is on the link below, along with the current status of the research.

http://www.butleraviatorsfootball.com/history

Additionally, I have found that Bob Driver was a coach at Butler in the 1940's. I assume that this is the same Bob Driver that is the namesake of the Trotwood football stadium. Does anyone have information on him?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-18, 09:12 AM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Nice to keep those histories. Our neighborhood school's library has a fairly complete set of yearbooks, maybe they have the same there? The problem is you can get bogged down exploring history when you really only want records, spending days getting a few hours worth of information but it's worth it if your interest is local history.
Old 02-18-18, 09:15 AM
Hail To The Aviators

I'll definitely have to look into that, I appreciate the info.

You are correct about getting bogged down, I've been pulled down a few rabbit holes along the way. I'm a sucker for this stuff!
Old 02-18-18, 09:26 AM
All Yappi

BlessEmAll is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BlessEmAll
Local libraries have yearbooks.
Old 02-18-18, 09:31 AM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlessEmAll View Post
Local libraries have yearbooks.
Did not realize that....thank you. I will check out the Vandalia Branch.
Old 02-18-18, 09:43 AM
All Yappi

Doc Ginn in West Milton might have some info since MU and Vandalia were league members for decades. Good luck. Looks like a great site.
Old 02-18-18, 10:27 AM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
If you're going to the library to find old papers, try newspapers.com. There's a 7 day free trial. I started going back to check out my hs's early years from 1901 onward. It's good because you can search text. Though your paper might not be as thoroughly archived as some.

As for just getting weeks and scores, the yearbook is usually the most reliable. And most libraries do get copies of local yearbooks. Especially the library in the town of the school.
Old 02-18-18, 06:07 PM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Doc Ginn in West Milton might have some info since MU and Vandalia were league members for decades. Good luck. Looks like a great site.
Thank you very much, I appreciate it!
Old 02-18-18, 06:10 PM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
If you're going to the library to find old papers, try newspapers.com. There's a 7 day free trial. I started going back to check out my hs's early years from 1901 onward. It's good because you can search text. Though your paper might not be as thoroughly archived as some.

As for just getting weeks and scores, the yearbook is usually the most reliable. And most libraries do get copies of local yearbooks. Especially the library in the town of the school.
I actually found this last night and spent hours on the site, it's great! I found the Piqua Daily Call to be quite helpful, in fact prior to last night I didn't have anything for 1949 on down. I am still missing quite a few games, but it's been an incredible resource!

Going to definitely try the library route this week in search of yearbooks.
Old 02-19-18, 11:48 AM
All Yappi

My grandsons go to Butler. I'm going to become a big Aviator fan very soon. Both play pee wee football there.
Old 02-19-18, 01:07 PM
Hail To The Aviators

Quote:
My grandsons go to Butler. I'm going to become a big Aviator fan very soon. Both play pee wee football there.
Very nice! I have had heard nothing but great things about our new coach, so hopefully he can elevate the program and get things going. The majority of Butler sports are on the upswing, so hopefully football can cash in on that momentum as well.
Old 02-19-18, 01:11 PM
All Yappi

I'm hoping.
Old 02-19-18, 01:25 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Having gone down this road myself in the past, I can tell you that some HS yearbooks are better than others. You're generally at the mercy of the people who were in charge of assembling each respective yearbook and what they felt was important to include in that yearbook. I've encountered a fair share of old yearbooks in my day that made little to no mention of that school's athletic teams. If the yearbooks have what you need, then you can gather a lot of information very quickly. It might even be worth a phone call to the library to 1) see if they have the yearbooks you need and 2) see if any of those yearbooks might have the information you want. It could save you a trip.

Newspaper microfilm can be time-consuming but will generally get you what you need if all else fails. Football is usually the easiest sport to research because:
1. It is the most popular HS sport in Ohio, so it has been covered well by the media.
2. Only 1 game a week played at the end of the week, so you don't have to examine every issue of the paper if it's published daily.
3. Cancellations and postponements are extremely rare, so there isn't the challenge of having to track down a game that may have been rescheduled like with basketball (snow days) and especially baseball (rainouts).
Old 02-19-18, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

ohiopup is on a distinguished road
1. Check classmates.com,they have scanned back copies of yearbooks of lots of schools.
... (make a log of what they have so you don't have to do duplicate research)

2. If you still live in the area of VB ~ The Public Library may have copies
... (as stated above) of school yearbooks.

3. The school may have copies in either the school library or available in the
... office that yearbook staff uses, (frequently used to get a feel on how the book is
... composed.

4. While at the Public Library check for newspaper microfilm of papers that cover the
... area / also back then the the Saturday and/or Sunday papers from the major outlets
... (Cin/Day/etc) would publish list of game results of games.

5. Check the OHSAA web site under FOOTBALL - HISTORY...you will find past playoff
... results, AP Rankings, and All-Ohio teams (It is not all inclusive but it's a start).

Best of luck in your quest.

:>---

EGA
Old 02-19-18, 03:09 PM
Hail To The Aviators

Mr. Slippery and ohiopup - Thank you both very much for the info, much appreciated!