Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  
  #121  
Old 11-06-18, 11:28 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
He is getting paid #3 money though
Sponsored Links
  #122  
Old 11-06-18, 11:54 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 71,016
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Not sure about anyone else, but I’m crossing my fingers the reds can sign billy on the cheap. That would be awesome cause it would solidify the #9 hitter position in the line-up.
  #123  
Old 11-06-18, 03:46 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
Not sure about anyone else, but Iím crossing my fingers the reds can sign billy on the cheap. That would be awesome cause it would solidify the #9 hitter position in the line-up.
Not sure how the years of service deal works, but Billy may not be able to be signed on the cheap. Many major leaguers price themselves out of jobs as they get older. At this point, with the way our organization is set up, Billy is the perfect 9 hole hitter and centerfielder.
  #124  
Old 11-06-18, 04:55 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 71,016
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Heís easily a top 10 9 spot hitter in the NL. Worth every penny we bought have to pay him.
  #125  
Old 11-06-18, 07:47 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 4,372
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Not sure how the years of service deal works, but Billy may not be able to be signed on the cheap. Many major leaguers price themselves out of jobs as they get older. At this point, with the way our organization is set up, Billy is the perfect 9 hole hitter and centerfielder.
Service time only matters when going to arbitration. Players can agree to any contract they want before or after arbitration.
  #126  
Old 11-07-18, 07:00 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Best defensive centerfielder cant even get a gold glove...or get on base.
  #127  
Old 11-07-18, 08:17 AM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 71,016
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Best defensive centerfielder cant even get a gold glove...or get on base.
Or steal bases. Iím going to sell ďMake Billy Steal AgainĒ hats this year. MBSA!
  #128  
Old 11-07-18, 09:58 AM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 4,227
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Not sure how the years of service deal works, but Billy may not be able to be signed on the cheap. Many major leaguers price themselves out of jobs as they get older. At this point, with the way our organization is set up, Billy is the perfect 9 hole hitter and centerfielder.
It's hilarious to be that you just used the phrase "perfect 9 hole hitter".
  #129  
Old 11-07-18, 10:25 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,219
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Best defensive centerfielder cant even get a gold glove...or get on base.
Cant steal first base.
  #130  
Old 11-07-18, 10:38 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 1,024
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
At this point, with the way our organization is set up, Billy is the perfect 9 hole hitter and centerfielder.
No, you lunatic, the perfect 9 hole hitter in the NL is a pitcher who can get guys out. Kershaw or Sherzer is the perfect 9 hole hitter. Because you don't care if they get on base. You need the other 8 guys to hit and get on base.
  #131  
Old 11-07-18, 10:39 AM
wolves82 wolves82 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-31-16
Posts: 1,024
wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastside_purple View Post
or steal bases. Iím going to sell ďmake billy steal againĒ hats this year. Mbsa!
+1
  #132  
Old 11-07-18, 11:15 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
No, you lunatic, the perfect 9 hole hitter in the NL is a pitcher who can get guys out. Kershaw or Sherzer is the perfect 9 hole hitter. Because you don't care if they get on base. You need the other 8 guys to hit and get on base.
And catch the ball and get guys out, which Billy does about better than anyone else other than Ender Incarte...so they say.
  #133  
Old 11-07-18, 11:47 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Or just ignore everything he said.
  #134  
Old 11-07-18, 11:48 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolves82 View Post
No, you lunatic, the perfect 9 hole hitter in the NL is a pitcher who can get guys out. Kershaw or Sherzer is the perfect 9 hole hitter. Because you don't care if they get on base. You need the other 8 guys to hit and get on base.
So if I read this right Homer is also the perfect 9 hole hitter bc he and Kershaw are the same
  #135  
Old 11-07-18, 12:02 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 4,227
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
So if I read this right Homer is also the perfect 9 hole hitter bc he and Kershaw are the same
In fact, even better, because Homer is also Batman.
  #136  
Old 11-07-18, 02:22 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 9,219
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Not sure if the salaries are secrets but on Sportstalk last night the inside was saying the reds are throwing $$ around to the new asst coaches and that is how they were able to lure away first place pitching and hitting
  #137  
Old 11-07-18, 03:11 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 4,372
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Not sure if the salaries are secrets but on Sportstalk last night the inside was saying the reds are throwing $$ around to the new asst coaches and that is how they were able to lure away first place pitching and hitting
How else would they attract them?

Does that mean the Reds will go after big time free agents or expect the new coaches to work miracles with mediocre talent?
  #138  
Old 11-07-18, 06:51 PM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Well i hope there is also some new blood brought in at the minor league level because it is so important for the Reds to be able to develop talent. For a small market team, I would want to spend more here than most other teams. Place an emphasis on developing pitching. If they do that, their last couple drafts have been good on paper (but its just that if we cant develop them). Hopefully it all pans out and they continue to identify talent while investing in developing them with better coaches.

For a small market you have to capitalize on any advantage you can make for yourself. They cant go toe to toe in spending on free agents, resigning players etc with the big dogs. They can go toe to toe in minor league coaching salaries. Invest in player development with an emphasis on pitching
  #139  
Old 11-07-18, 07:45 PM
Indiandad Indiandad is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 07-28-16
Posts: 4,372
Indiandad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Well i hope there is also some new blood brought in at the minor league level because it is so important for the Reds to be able to develop talent. For a small market team, I would want to spend more here than most other teams. Place an emphasis on developing pitching. If they do that, their last couple drafts have been good on paper (but its just that if we cant develop them). Hopefully it all pans out and they continue to identify talent while investing in developing them with better coaches.

For a small market you have to capitalize on any advantage you can make for yourself. They cant go toe to toe in spending on free agents, resigning players etc with the big dogs. They can go toe to toe in minor league coaching salaries. Invest in player development with an emphasis on pitching
The Reds brought in a new hire today to coordinate minor league development.

Chris Tremie of the Cleveland Indians.

Last edited by Indiandad; 11-07-18 at 08:12 PM..
  #140  
Old 11-08-18, 03:18 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
If the Reds develop one starter every 3-4 years, they are ahead of where they have been. This organization has been terrible in developing starting pitching for a long, long time.
  #141  
Old 11-09-18, 09:10 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Ok folks, I'm swearing off the Billy bandwagon moving forward. Although I don't really see myself as being a big Billy fan, I just appreciate the defensive talents he has, and the speed on the basepaths. He does things on a baseball field that no one else can do, yet many Reds fans always seem to focus on his hitting problems.
Anyway moving forward, every player has a "value" that you can't pay above. And Billy may just not be worth what arbitration could bring him. We'll see what happens the next few months, he is schedule to be at Redsfest so IMO, the club is planning on him being in the fold for 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds incorporated another 4 man outfield for '19. I don't see a big difference in our current top 5 outfielders.
  #142  
Old 11-09-18, 09:19 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
You are his biggest fan.

He also does the most important thing on the baseball field poorly. He is so bad at it, that it far outweighs the few runs that he saves on defense, as wolves has shown you with stats numerous times.

If what he did was so spectacular that "nobody else can do" he would have a gold glove by now.
  #143  
Old 11-09-18, 10:22 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
You are his biggest fan.

He also does the most important thing on the baseball field poorly. He is so bad at it, that it far outweighs the few runs that he saves on defense, as wolves has shown you with stats numerous times.

If what he did was so spectacular that "nobody else can do" he would have a gold glove by now.
Moving forward Arrogate, we all have our own opinions.
  #144  
Old 11-09-18, 10:47 AM
Arrogate Arrogate is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-27-16
Location: Irish Buffalo's head
Posts: 6,711
Arrogate will become famous soon enough
Moving forward while trying to make the case again for why you think he is so great?
  #145  
Old 11-09-18, 12:04 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 71,016
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Ok folks, I'm swearing off the Billy bandwagon moving forward. Although I don't really see myself as being a big Billy fan, I just appreciate the defensive talents he has, and the speed on the basepaths. He does things on a baseball field that no one else can do, yet many Reds fans always seem to focus on his hitting problems.
Anyway moving forward, every player has a "value" that you can't pay above. And Billy may just not be worth what arbitration could bring him. We'll see what happens the next few months, he is schedule to be at Redsfest so IMO, the club is planning on him being in the fold for 2019. I wouldn't be surprised if the Reds incorporated another 4 man outfield for '19. I don't see a big difference in our current top 5 outfielders.
lol
  #146  
Old 11-09-18, 12:19 PM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 4,966
14Red is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrogate View Post
Moving forward while trying to make the case again for why you think he is so great?
Not at all. I know Billy's transgressions. He never hit or got on base alot in the minors, so I don't know why people are surprised he's not hitting at the major league level.

But, with that said, he still does things that no other major league baseball player can do. I understand it's a "value" thing.
  #147  
Old 11-09-18, 12:34 PM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,812
Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
He never hit or got on base alot in the minors, so I don't know why people are surprised he's not hitting at the major league level.
Some people expect employees to improve at their job. Of course, given the fact you haven't received a raise in over 5 years, this is a foreign concept to you.
  #148  
Old 11-09-18, 01:20 PM
jtk jtk is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Location: BC>NVA>SLIDE
Posts: 6,710
jtk has a little shameless behaviour in the past
i read something where the padres are looking for a 3B and suarez is tops on their list. do the reds deal suarez? should be able to get higher end talent for him?

jtk
()
  #149  
Old 11-09-18, 01:25 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 71,016
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Not at all. I know Billy's transgressions. He never hit or got on base alot in the minors, so I don't know why people are surprised he's not hitting at the major league level.

But, with that said, he still does things that no other major league baseball player can do. I understand it's a "value" thing.
No one is surprised he canít hit or get on base.
  #150  
Old 11-09-18, 01:27 PM
eastside_purple's Avatar
eastside_purple eastside_purple is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 01-21-03
Posts: 71,016
eastside_purple is infamous around these partseastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtk View Post
i read something where the padres are looking for a 3B and suarez is tops on their list. do the reds deal suarez? should be able to get higher end talent for him?

jtk
()
What kind of pitching talent do the padres have in the farm?
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
History of Baseball State Championships (1928-2018) Yappi Baseball 37 05-06-19 07:56 AM
2018 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 97 12-01-18 11:06 PM
2018 Weekly Schedules by Date and Time EagleFan Football 12 07-23-18 03:52 AM
2017-2018 Basketball Schedules Yappi Boys Basketball 60 11-30-17 12:53 PM
2017 Division I Schedules EagleFan Archives 66 10-25-17 11:29 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.