Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-19, 02:34 PM
Freshman

Peak is on a distinguished road
Tryouts

I wanted to pick the collective brain of this site. My son has been lucky enough to play on the same team for the last 6 years. This year has changed, as the boys are now 13-14 and not all the same skill level, or interest level in some cases. The boys are starting to separate themselves, and you can see those who are committed from those who aren't. Those that aren't are making mistakes in the field and running bases, they miss signs, etc. My son has come home frustrated and embarassed many times, and has openly asked about changing teams.

I've had multiple coaches on his current team ask me about where his mind is and what he thinks of this year. I've been honest with them and consistent with my answers. Essentially, things need to change. He wants to play on a competitive team. We, as a family, were told this would be a competitive team. Unfortunately, it isn't and this doesn't seem to change. I was told the team would conduct tryouts and take a more competitive stance next year.

How have you handled tryouts in the past? Did your son just leave his team and go to a new one? Do you try to work with the existing team to see if changes are made, but still tryout for other teams? I liken this process to interviewing for a job, but I don't think it's that intense with deadlines. Or is it?

First time going through this and I want to do what's right for my son and his interests. Just not sure about the process. Hearing how others navigated it would help, I think.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-19, 02:49 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak View Post
I wanted to pick the collective brain of this site. My son has been lucky enough to play on the same team for the last 6 years. This year has changed, as the boys are now 13-14 and not all the same skill level, or interest level in some cases. The boys are starting to separate themselves, and you can see those who are committed from those who aren't. Those that aren't are making mistakes in the field and running bases, they miss signs, etc. My son has come home frustrated and embarassed many times, and has openly asked about changing teams.

I've had multiple coaches on his current team ask me about where his mind is and what he thinks of this year. I've been honest with them and consistent with my answers. Essentially, things need to change. He wants to play on a competitive team. We, as a family, were told this would be a competitive team. Unfortunately, it isn't and this doesn't seem to change. I was told the team would conduct tryouts and take a more competitive stance next year.

How have you handled tryouts in the past? Did your son just leave his team and go to a new one? Do you try to work with the existing team to see if changes are made, but still tryout for other teams? I liken this process to interviewing for a job, but I don't think it's that intense with deadlines. Or is it?

First time going through this and I want to do what's right for my son and his interests. Just not sure about the process. Hearing how others navigated it would help, I think.
*Teams/coaches will do and say whatever it takes to keep most of their players even if it means they are destined to be a backup like the season before.

*Some teams hold tryouts, do not select any one who shows up, and then calls players from other teams to join whom didn't even try out.

*Grass isn't always greener on the other diamond. You can go to a team who has a coaching staff with their own priorities (uh hmm, their son's) and if those match that of your son then, well, goodluck with that.

*Even if there is an independent group/person evaluating the talent at the tryouts and gives you an offer to join it doesn't necessarily mean he will get to play the positions "promised" or what he tried out for.

*Just because they may hold tryouts and say they will be more competitive next year doesn't mean it will come to be. There are so many of these teams out there promising the world and the talent gets spread out.

I say give it a go and try out.. Do your due diligence in seeking a different team and make sure you know the background of the coaches. The last thing you want to do is jump ship into the unknown and find your son behind a few coaches kids.......Just because you try out some place else doesn't mean you have to go there if accepted.
Old 06-12-19, 04:28 PM
Junior Varsity

seetheball2 is on a distinguished road
Diamond Hit Club

I would give DHC a try. The program cares about each player and their goals. They have tryouts posted and will provide a comprehensive evaluation of your son and help him reach his goals.
Old 06-12-19, 08:28 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
After doing this for about ten years, I have some thoughts: (1) Get your kid on the best team that he will get consistent playing time. Playing time is the most important thing as a player does not develop when he is sitting. (2) Try to find a team with no parents involved. You are getting to the point where daddy ball is a big problem and cause all kinds of drama and motivational issues. (3) Finally, find a team where the coaches actually coach the individual fundamentals and help with the players individual development. It is important.
Old 06-13-19, 09:00 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
After doing this for about ten years, I have some thoughts: (1) Get your kid on the best team that he will get consistent playing time. Playing time is the most important thing as a player does not develop when he is sitting. (2) Try to find a team with no parents involved. You are getting to the point where daddy ball is a big problem and cause all kinds of drama and motivational issues. (3) Finally, find a team where the coaches actually coach the individual fundamentals and help with the players individual development. It is important.
His team right now offers the most playing time - he's a starter and plays all over the IF and OF, he's also the #2 hitter on the team. This was a competitive team up until this point. My concern with tryouts is that he won't get the playing time, or may turn into a PO with small time in the OF.

Every team I've seen so far in our area is Daddy ball, which is annoying. That is one request I have for our current team is to bring in an outside HC. I'm willing to pay more in team fees to cover this, as are some other parents. But our HC has some control issues, IMO.

Fundamentals is big. I work with my son on off days for fielding, base running and pitching as I know he won't get the time during practice. Definite points I'm looking for in another team.
Old 06-13-19, 09:05 AM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetheball2 View Post
I would give DHC a try. The program cares about each player and their goals. They have tryouts posted and will provide a comprehensive evaluation of your son and help him reach his goals.
Thanks, but that's not going to help. It's not you, it's me. We just live on completely different sides of the state. The distance is too great. It just wouldn't work out.