Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-09-19, 09:33 PM
All Region

radiodaveagain is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey Coldwater What Do You Say...The Cavs Won The State Title Today

Hey Coldwater What Do You Say...The Cavs Won The State Title Today
https://statelinesportsnetwork.net/2...te-title-today
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-19, 08:04 AM
All Ohio

petroglyph is on a distinguished road
Congrats to the Cavs. Not just on this title,but on breaking the record with their 21st appearance at state. something doesn't come from nothing. it's interesting that the 1st team (1938) which made it to state has 3 payers who played pro,one of whom made the bigs and played with Bob Feller. Ralph Weigel may be,to this day,the only Coldwater player to have stuck on a major league roster.A pair of freshmen cousins on that team got to state again as seniors,both signed later with the Dodgers. FWIW they were related to Lou Brunswick. As the wheel apparently comes full circle I see there was another Weigel on the 2019 team.Strong, proud program
Old 06-10-19, 09:04 AM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
Congrats to coaches Harlamert, Klenke and Hemmelgarn.

Those seniors left quite a legacy.

We've (Fort Recovery) been in D3 for 2 years now and lost to Coldwater both times in the district. All they've done is be State Runner-Up and State Champion in those 2 years......
Old 06-10-19, 09:52 AM
All Ohio

petroglyph is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post

We've (Fort Recovery) been in D3 for 2 years now and lost to Coldwater both times in the district. All they've done is be State Runner-Up and State Champion in those 2 years......
Since you brought up the Coldwater/Fort Recovery baseball rivalry thought maybe you would enjoy this factoid courtesy of my grandma's scrapbook: In 1940 a pitcher from Coldwater struck out 26 Indians' hitters and LOST the game. In the 10th inning a Coldwater runner rounded 3rd and scored the winning run,but it was disallowed because the 3rd base coach touched the player out of the box. Fort won in the 11th. Source -Mercer County Chronicle

Last edited by petroglyph; 06-10-19 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-10-19, 03:25 PM
All Ohio

Tesoro is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyph View Post
Since you brought up the Coldwater/Fort Recovery baseball rivalry thought maybe you would enjoy this factoid courtesy of my grandma's scrapbook: In 1940 a pitcher from Coldwater struck out 26 Indians' hitters and LOST the game. In the 10th inning a Coldwater runner rounded 3rd and scored the winning run,but it was disallowed because the 3rd base coach touched the player out of the box. Fort won in the 11th. Source -Mercer County Chronicle

Coldwater hosed again...
Old 06-10-19, 03:32 PM
All American

StateChampion2012 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortfan View Post

Fort Recovery Baseball has come a long way from what it once was!
Old 06-10-19, 09:39 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
A very clean game played by both teams. After getting started 95 minutes late, the 71 minute game saw a Ridgewood team unable to break through when they had their chances early and a Coldwater team who flashed the leather and smoked quite a few balls right at the OF in a game that had a bad luck sort of feeling for Coldwater.

Congrats to the coaches and players for bringing home number 7, I understand it was a long drive, 3 plus hours, but I expected a much better showing from Coldwater. It was the state championship, on a weekend and in a sport that has been at the forefront for decades for the school. I drove nearly 6 hours and I know a few people who left their family vacations and drive 4 hours to see the final. I got home around 1 and had to be up by 530 for work and yeah today was a struggle but man, it is the state championship game. You never know if this will ever happen again! I played or attended the first 6 and NO WAY was I missing the opportunity to see number 7! Saw the FB and BB coaches there enjoying it as they know that success breeds success!

Wth that said, CW played very well, as did Ridgewood. Coldwater has not had much luck playing the state tournament in NEO. I know they lost at least three times at state while it was at Thurman Munson stadium but a new stadium, and new results!

While I was sitting around a hotel at a youth tournament out of state on Saturday I was asked by a few guys how Coldwater does it and how far they attract players from to sustain this run as they are from private school programs. My only, and best answer, was that they could go see the Coldwater HS team in 10 years from now by going to the park on Mon, Wed and Fri at 1pm to watch the pee wee program or 10am to watch Minor league It is the Cavalier way. A very low stress program when they are kids that choose new teams each day and the workers at the park administer the games during the summer. No fancy uniforms. No thousand dollar tournaments. Just a bunch of kids playing the game and having fun most times without their parents at the game yelling at each pitch. They play a lot of positions and have a blat. The Cavalier Way.

and if you are from Coldwater.....>THE WALL

So extremely proud of those players and coaches. The weight to be the next to win a title in Coldwater can be tough, and you are now a member of the Coldwater Champions Club. CONGRATS.

Kids will enjoy this for a few days and then the quest for 8 starts. (and to the football program....it is your turn to catch the baseball program)
Old 06-11-19, 05:22 AM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
Thank you!
Old 06-11-19, 07:42 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StateChampion2012 View Post
The current coaching staff has done a good job and I want to believe the school started to take it seriously back when they hired a Coldwater grad, Shane McKibben, as HC. The current staff has taken it to the next level.

The key to a solid HS program is, of course coaching, but a solid youth baseball program. First and foremost, they need kids at the young age to come out and play. Some places have so few kids playing that by the time they are in HS there isn't much to pick from. One thing you cannot discount is......dads. So often the beginning and continued stages of a kids baseball knowledge starts at home. The father doesn't have to be a baseball star, or know a ton about the game, but if they just get the kids out there to throw, hit and play catch at young ages to foster the love of the game. That is where it so often starts.

Good interview on lima radio station with CW's long time coach Brian Harlamert. It took him a very long time to get his first, and thankfully the second came soon after! (as we talked locally at the time, it took coach Brunswick decades to get his first....).

They discussed how they burned time up in Akron since they stayed overnight after the game Saturday. From hitting at ASVSM HS to touring the gym, to attending mass together as a team on Sunday morning, they had a lot of time to fill on Sunday before the game!
Old 06-11-19, 05:51 PM
All Region

Cavman96 is on a distinguished road
Yes, Coach Harlamert definitely has paid his dues. Congrats Coach and Cavs!