Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Soccer

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-27-19, 09:07 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
FCC Announces Academy Teams for 19-20 Season

https://www.fccincinnati.com/post/20...5-u-1617-teams

FCC finally makes an official announcement and will be holding tryouts just squeaking under the deadline to get in before the Cincinnati area clubs begin their tryouts. With Cincinnati now having a DA that has all of the high school age groups, do we foresee any noticable changes to varsity rosters around the city? Personally, I've always felt a DA in Cincinnati wouldn't make a substantial impact on high school soccer. It would siphon off some of the top talent, but not enough to change the competitive level of Cincinnati high school soccer.

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-19, 07:44 AM
All Region

belied dat is on a distinguished road
They've already started scouring across the country for better talent.

It's not hard to look at the previous MLS DA systems to see that very few "local" players have actually made it to the first team.

Just start at the new hire for the FCC DA, Coach Sunderland. He's been with Portland Timbers. Here's the list of who they've produced:
Old 05-28-19, 10:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by belied dat View Post
They've already started scouring across the country for better talent.

It's not hard to look at the previous MLS DA systems to see that very few "local" players have actually made it to the first team.

Just start at the new hire for the FCC DA, Coach Sunderland. He's been with Portland Timbers. Here's the list of who they've produced:
I was asking about impact on local high soccer, not who ends up making the first team or call ups to national teams. I honestly could care less about that.

Old 05-29-19, 08:14 AM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly_Cat View Post
I was asking about impact on local high soccer, not who ends up making the first team or call ups to national teams. I honestly could care less about that.
You also asked, "Thoughts?"

So, I addressed the thoughts part.
Old 05-30-19, 09:23 AM
Varsity

Gr8tS0ccr is on a distinguished road
Invite only tryouts, not open tryouts. Won't affect local HS soccer at all.
Old 05-30-19, 09:42 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8tS0ccr View Post
Invite only tryouts, not open tryouts. Won't affect local HS soccer at all.
Why does the invite only mean it won't affect high school, or were those two separate thoughts?

Old 05-30-19, 09:55 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Why does the invite only mean it won't affect high school, or were those two separate thoughts?

Separate, but connected. If they are inviting current DA kids for the most part then those kids didn't play HS this past year as Freshmen. There won't be that many 03 kids that make the DA that were hugely impactful for their HS team's this past year.
Old 05-30-19, 10:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Separate, but connected. If they are inviting current DA kids for the most part then those kids didn't play HS this past year as Freshmen. There won't be that many 03 kids that make the DA that were hugely impactful for their HS team's this past year.
But FCC will have older age groups that CUP DA didn't have. So even if its invite only, the older kids getting invites would be from regular club teams. I know there are some, not many, kids that haven't played high school and instead played club in the Fall or trained, but the vast majority of the invites would be to older kids that played high school last year.

For the 15U team it would be 8th and 9th graders. Would any of those 9th graders that end up playing for FCC have been varsity players for their school? I don't know. That's part of the interesting discussion I was curious about starting. Or at least I think it's an interesting discussion.

Old 05-30-19, 10:24 AM
Varsity

Quote:
But FCC will have older age groups that CUP DA didn't have. So even if its invite only, the older kids getting invites would be from regular club teams. I know there are some, not many, kids that haven't played high school and instead played club in the Fall or trained, but the vast majority of the invites would be to older kids that played high school last year.

For the 15U team it would be 8th and 9th graders. Would any of those 9th graders that end up playing for FCC have been varsity players for their school? I don't know. That's part of the interesting discussion I was curious about starting. Or at least I think it's an interesting discussion.

Maybe there is a kid or two that would have a big impact as a freshman playing Varsity that will play on the 15U team, but I doubt it.

The 16/17U team will be Sophomores/Juniors. The Sophomores were already playing at the DA at CUP (The ones that got invites to tryout), the only wildcard would be 03 boys that played Club that would switch to the DA. That won't be a huge number, and in fact, you could speculate that some of the current 04 DA kids won't make the team, and would then consider playing HS and Club. So, my personal opinion is that it really isn't a big impact. I also don't see long term that the DA will be full of local players. They will pull players from all over the place (Louisville, Lexington, Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis would all be potential places at a minimum).

Beyond that, there is no DA team for Seniors, and some Juniors, so the impact there will be non-existent.
Old 05-30-19, 11:50 AM
All World

Quote:
Maybe there is a kid or two that would have a big impact as a freshman playing Varsity that will play on the 15U team, but I doubt it.

The 16/17U team will be Sophomores/Juniors. The Sophomores were already playing at the DA at CUP (The ones that got invites to tryout), the only wildcard would be 03 boys that played Club that would switch to the DA. That won't be a huge number, and in fact, you could speculate that some of the current 04 DA kids won't make the team, and would then consider playing HS and Club. So, my personal opinion is that it really isn't a big impact. I also don't see long term that the DA will be full of local players. They will pull players from all over the place (Louisville, Lexington, Dayton, Columbus, Indianapolis would all be potential places at a minimum).

Beyond that, there is no DA team for Seniors, and some Juniors, so the impact there will be non-existent.
I thought FCC was also doing a 18/19U team?

Last edited by Philly_Cat; 05-30-19 at 11:38 PM..
Old 05-30-19, 11:44 PM
All World

Nevermind! Might help is I properly read the very article I posted lol

Old 05-31-19, 08:49 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Nevermind! Might help is I properly read the very article I posted lol

Video of the U15 tryouts on their website. Says he wants to establish relationships with local clubs. Interesting comment. AFAIK they limited tryout participants to current DA kids, and a handful of kids from CUP/KHA 03s.

I am sure Columbus United(U14 State Cup Champs), OCA(U14 Runner-up), Cincinnati Elite (U15 State Cup Champs last two years), Ohio Galaxies (State Cup Runner-up last two years), Club Ohio (U16), and TFA all have a player or two, if not more that would be worth looking at. Not to mention kids from Lexington, or Louisville, or Indianapolis. Hopefully they expand their scouting and reach once Sunderland establishes things.
Old 06-02-19, 07:03 PM
All District

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
So it's just another place for entitled, wealthy kids to play soccer? LOL...I have seen many of the local A level club teams and frankly was not overly impressed...it is just kids that have parents can afford to drop 5K a season...not the best athletes in SW OH and NKY...What about the large Latino population? Soccer is their game and they are horribly underrepresented in our pay to play nonsense...So what is the goal here? Have parents drop 50K for years of club so their kids might get 5K a year in scholarship? Men's soccer is not a fully funded sport in the NCAA and we have no professional minor leagues that lead anywhere (unlike South America, Europe etc...)...Bottom line is club soccer here is a for-profit business that has nothing to do with advancing the game...For the kids that want to go out and play, get some training, have fun and a nice high school career it is okay...but the delusions need to stop!
Old 06-02-19, 07:05 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Jock and Chad View Post
So it's just another place for entitled, wealthy kids to play soccer? LOL...I have seen many of the local A level club teams and frankly was not overly impressed...it is just kids that have parents can afford to drop 5K a season...not the best athletes in SW OH and NKY...What about the large Latino population? Soccer is their game and they are horribly underrepresented in our pay to play nonsense...So what is the goal here? Have parents drop 50K for years of club so their kids might get 5K a year in scholarship? Men's soccer is not a fully funded sport in the NCAA and we have no professional minor leagues that lead anywhere (unlike South America, Europe etc...)...Bottom line is club soccer here is a for-profit business that has nothing to do with advancing the game...For the kids that want to go out and play, get some training, have fun and a nice high school career it is okay...but the delusions need to stop!
It's free, same as the Columbus Crew.

Old 06-03-19, 03:47 PM
Varsity

Quote:
It's free, same as the Columbus Crew.

I do agree that costs are way out of control. It is driven by $$$. I believe that the true professional clubs(MLS) running Academies are the right thing to do as they are zero cost to the players (unlike the pay to play DA academies that I am adamantly opposed to). That said, they still aren't looking broadly enough for talent. I have seen some shift to more local clubs that aren't quite as expensive drawing kids away from those so called "Academy" programs. I haven't heard the term "A" level in a while...made me think of the TCYSA A division from back in the old days.
Old 06-03-19, 04:02 PM
All Region

Quote:
I do agree that costs are way out of control. It is driven by $$$. I believe that the true professional clubs(MLS) running Academies are the right thing to do as they are zero cost to the players (unlike the pay to play DA academies that I am adamantly opposed to). That said, they still aren't looking broadly enough for talent. I have seen some shift to more local clubs that aren't quite as expensive drawing kids away from those so called "Academy" programs. I haven't heard the term "A" level in a while...made me think of the TCYSA A division from back in the old days.
Not all MLS DAs are free. DC United still charges. There's a possibility that Minnesota charges. I've lost track anymore.

Several other "free" ones utilize their affiliate clubs to pay for their "free" DA. FC Dallas makes nearly $15m off their affiliate clubs to allow for their DA to be free.

Most of the top products at these MLS DAs aren't even local players. Sounders' top products are all out of state. Sporting KC's top product, Gianluca Busio, is from North Carolina. If these DAs even care about the system anyway. There have been 4-5 MLS teams organizations who have expressed interest in dropping their club system because the expenses outweigh the benefits.
Old 06-03-19, 05:19 PM
All District

Sports Jock and Chad is on a distinguished road
I know MLS DA's are normally free but since they only invited A level, big money club players it is just a break for entitled families...I agree the outreach is so limited...the story of US Soccer in a nutshell

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: