Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-16-19, 04:31 PM
All Yappi

nwwarrior09 is on a distinguished road
Cousins tore his quad and appears to be done. That series just got a lot more interesting with the Clippers making an all-time great playoff comeback in game 2. Instead of being quick work, the Warriors may be in for a long 1st round series.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-19, 10:58 AM
All Region

ceebass13 is on a distinguished road
And a potential match up with Houston in the 2nd round.
Old 04-17-19, 12:43 PM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Calling Portland right now as my dark horse in the playoffs.

They need to get up to that 3rd seed though to avoid Golden State in second round
Looking better by the day - but not sure they can overcome the loss of their big guy in the middle.
Old 04-17-19, 12:48 PM
All Yappi

The Spurs got a favorable matchup with Denver in Round 1 - I expect them to pull that one out in 6. Sixers and Toronto looked bad in their game 1s but pulled it together - both win in 6. Others:
Celtics in 6
Rockets in 5
Warriors in 6
Bucks in 5
Blazers in 6
Old 04-17-19, 12:49 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceebass13 View Post
And a potential match up with Houston in the 2nd round.
The Cousins injury shouldn't worry them as much as probably facing Houston in Rd 2. I think Houston will get them this year assuming everyone else stays healthy. LAC will give them all they can handle though. Beverly already in Durant's head. As was the case in 2016 Finals collapse, as good as Thompson and Curry are - they struggle to score when they absolutely NEED to at the end of games. Durant is their closer. When he fouled out of Game 2, you could see the writing on the wall at that point - if he stays in the game they likely pull it out.
Old 04-18-19, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Looking better by the day - but not sure they can overcome the loss of their big guy in the middle.
Yeah, the Nurkic loss really sucks. I think they legitimately could have contended for the West at full strength. Still a pretty solid shot to end up in the Western Finals though
Old 04-18-19, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Houston is firing on all cylinders right now. God I hope they give Golden State he11
Old 04-19-19, 02:23 PM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
A little worried last night when Embiid shut it down, but the Sixers have so many options...it actually opens up the floor when Embiid isn't in the lineup. More shots for Redick and Harris, Ben has more room to operate. And Boban may be the best backup center that you can find. He can only play about 15 minutes per game, but man is he productive!
Old 04-20-19, 04:54 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Been trying to watch more NBA this year and postseason with the boy and nephews.

THey need to take away the timeouts under 2 minutes. Come on, these guys are professionals. They dont need the coach to tell them and draw up some play after all these made shots in the last couple of minutes. My goodness is it a trainwreck to watch.

Want to keep them so they can advance it to half court, fine, but to call TO after TO after every make in the last minute or two is just plain idiotic.

YOU ARE PROFESSIONALS< go out and play without your coach having to draw up some play.
Old 04-22-19, 09:00 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Been trying to watch more NBA this year and postseason with the boy and nephews.

THey need to take away the timeouts under 2 minutes. Come on, these guys are professionals. They dont need the coach to tell them and draw up some play after all these made shots in the last couple of minutes. My goodness is it a trainwreck to watch.

Want to keep them so they can advance it to half court, fine, but to call TO after TO after every make in the last minute or two is just plain idiotic.

YOU ARE PROFESSIONALS< go out and play without your coach having to draw up some play.
I don't disagree with you voice, I think many times they use the timeouts just to stop the clock anyway. How about forfeiting a couple timeouts as stop clocking timeouts. The players don't go to the benches, they just stop the clock and then take the ball out?
But again, timeouts mean $$'s because of commercials. And it's funny because many of the players don't even pay attention to the coach during the timeout anyway.

And how many people can actually know who half the NBA coaches are? There are teams IN THE PLAYOFFS, who have coaches I've never seen or heard of before. The NBA has successfully made the head coach position insignificant.
Old 04-22-19, 09:22 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
As Mike read this morning, the city of Dallas has announced that they will not prosecute theft offenses under $750 moving forward.

So, look for stores in the Dallas area to start going out of business. You see, if you just take a couple hundred dollars of merchandise, you'll be fine. Now remember that we have this huge push for food pantries, other stores that have discounted items, etc.
At some point you have to hold people accountable. Now you may decide internally that you may not prosecute, but you definitely should not be announcing it publicly.
You're in the wrong thread, 14.
Old 04-22-19, 09:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Oh crap...
Old 04-22-19, 09:51 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Thx Taco
Old 04-24-19, 09:00 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
I don't disagree with you voice, I think many times they use the timeouts just to stop the clock anyway. How about forfeiting a couple timeouts as stop clocking timeouts. The players don't go to the benches, they just stop the clock and then take the ball out?
But again, timeouts mean $$'s because of commercials. And it's funny because many of the players don't even pay attention to the coach during the timeout anyway.

And how many people can actually know who half the NBA coaches are? There are teams IN THE PLAYOFFS, who have coaches I've never seen or heard of before. The NBA has successfully made the head coach position insignificant.
Yeah, if they want to keep them on the books and any remaining TO's under 2 minutes can stop the clock and then advance the ball to half court then I am all for that.

In the NFL, late in games/half they change their TO lengths. You can even hear the referee over his PA that 'this will be a 30 second TO'.

I always was a Bobby Knight fan growing up. There were times announcers, Billy Packer to be exact, whom would lambaste him for not calling a TO at the end of the games. His response usually was that he believed he worked on it enough in practice that the players know what to do, and stopping the clock only allows the other team to gather themselves up.

I tried watching more of these as the boy was interested, and even went to an NBA game (wasn't close so there wasn't the endless TO at the end) but man these close games and the TO's make it very tough to watch.

I bet you if a team would throw caution to the wind, inbound the ball immediately and rush down the court after a made basket very late in the game they would end up with an easy shot as the opponents are expecting a TO
Old 04-24-19, 10:08 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Yeah, if they want to keep them on the books and any remaining TO's under 2 minutes can stop the clock and then advance the ball to half court then I am all for that.

In the NFL, late in games/half they change their TO lengths. You can even hear the referee over his PA that 'this will be a 30 second TO'.

I always was a Bobby Knight fan growing up. There were times announcers, Billy Packer to be exact, whom would lambaste him for not calling a TO at the end of the games. His response usually was that he believed he worked on it enough in practice that the players know what to do, and stopping the clock only allows the other team to gather themselves up.

I tried watching more of these as the boy was interested, and even went to an NBA game (wasn't close so there wasn't the endless TO at the end) but man these close games and the TO's make it very tough to watch.

I bet you if a team would throw caution to the wind, inbound the ball immediately and rush down the court after a made basket very late in the game they would end up with an easy shot as the opponents are expecting a TO
I agree, you allow the other team to set up their defense when you call timeouts.
Old 04-24-19, 12:23 PM
All World

So, after a ho hum first round of games, except for the Spurs/ Nuggets possibly, the 2nd round should be epic. Sixers / Raptors, Celtics / Bucks may be the 4 best teams the East has had in 20 years.
So who do you like? I'm a Sixers fan so I've got them going, the Celtics/ Bucks is a coin flip. The Celtics have all the playoff experience, but they did go 7 games last year, and the Celtics had home court? The Bucks are much deeper this year, and the loss of Marcus Smart may finally catch up to Boston. Can Kyrie continue to be blend in, or will he try to do too much now that the stakes are raised? Should be a heck of a series.
As for my Sixers, I really feel that this team, who's core has only been together a dozen games or so, is starting to get things figured out. Simmons really stepped it up after game 1. The Sixers need to make shots, I'm not sure this team is defensively ready to take down the Raptors, but the role players will decide this series.
Old 04-25-19, 09:23 AM
All World

How about Doc Rivers and the Clippers??? They gutted their team a couple months ago and still made the playoffs and are making the Warriors break a sweat. Pretty cool to see.
Old 04-25-19, 09:02 PM
All Yappi

Clippers are a lot of fun to watch. Difficult not to root for them.

Should be one of the best second rounds ever. Iíll take Milwaukee and Toronto in the East, Houston and Portland in the West
Old 04-28-19, 05:09 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
James harden a total failure.
Old 04-28-19, 06:15 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm cheering for Golden State but Houston definitely got the shaft with the refs' calls in that game.
Old 04-29-19, 05:28 PM
All Yappi

Of the five 3PA by the Rockets that were most scrutinized:
Harden on Thompson, 1st Qtr - no foul
Harden on Thompson, 2nd Qtr - foul
Harden on Thompson, 3rd Qtr - foul
Paul on Livingston - foul
Harden on Green - no foul

I will say, Harden's propensity to kick his legs out on his 3PA isn't helping. One article I saw referenced him to the boy who cried wolf which I found humorous partly because it's true.

The NBA coming out today saying Curry should have fouled out with 1:10 did them no favors. Didn't hear many people clamoring about those fouls, but considering Curry hit what was eventually the game-winning-3 that isn't going to help how it looks for the NBA. Unfortunately this whole series is going to be mired by the officiating. I hope the referees keep their tight whistles on the technicals for arguing because that's the only way to get these primadonnas to stop whining.

Side note, for as bad and dysfunctional as the Celtics looked all year, they went out and just manhandled Milwaukee. The NBA has to be happy about these conference Semifinal matchups as all should be great series that are back and forth and go at least 6 games.
Old 04-30-19, 03:52 PM
All World

Huge win for the Sixers last night. After a listless game 1, they came back and got game 2 and this looks like it could be a long series.
The Bucks are almost in a must win situation tonight. To go down 0-2 and THEN go on the road could be suicide.
Old 05-01-19, 10:49 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Of the five 3PA by the Rockets that were most scrutinized:
Harden on Thompson, 1st Qtr - no foul
Harden on Thompson, 2nd Qtr - foul
Harden on Thompson, 3rd Qtr - foul
Paul on Livingston - foul
Harden on Green - no foul

I will say, Harden's propensity to kick his legs out on his 3PA isn't helping. One article I saw referenced him to the boy who cried wolf which I found humorous partly because it's true.

The NBA coming out today saying Curry should have fouled out with 1:10 did them no favors. Didn't hear many people clamoring about those fouls, but considering Curry hit what was eventually the game-winning-3 that isn't going to help how it looks for the NBA. Unfortunately this whole series is going to be mired by the officiating. I hope the referees keep their tight whistles on the technicals for arguing because that's the only way to get these primadonnas to stop whining.

Side note, for as bad and dysfunctional as the Celtics looked all year, they went out and just manhandled Milwaukee. The NBA has to be happy about these conference Semifinal matchups as all should be great series that are back and forth and go at least 6 games.
NBA officiating is very, very difficult at best. There are so many judgement calls and it's very hard to call a came with the type of athleticism and speed that's involved.
Also, remember that with the 24 second shot clock, it produces maximum chances to score. I feel this overcomes any poor calls. In every game, there has to be 15-20 calls that go against each team during the game. There are multiple opportunites for each team to take control and win the game. Games do not come down to one single call.
Old 05-07-19, 12:08 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian1227 View Post
James harden a total failure.
Slam Steph now. 3 game series, genius.

I thought you knew basketball ?
Old 05-07-19, 10:26 AM
All Yappi

Curry wasn't the issue last night, Thompson was. Durant also had an off night shooting. GSW really blew both games in Houston down the stretch as the Rockets kept giving them opportunities to win the game.

Game 3 Steph misses an uncontested layup and a dunk. Then instead of letting Durant take shots down the final 2 minutes Klay and Steph both missed with chances to take the lead.

Game 4 Draymond misses another layup, but they still went three possession in a row under 3 minutes with the score at 6-8 points and they were unable to close the gap further. Closest they got was 2 with Durant's 3 just under a minute to go.

I think GS is better than Houston, but at this point it likely goes 7. Houston's bench is better but they're still not going deeper than 8-9 guys most of the time. GS has a slimmed bench due to Cousins injury so they could potentially wear down, but I still think they pull it out.

Last edited by adselder09; 05-07-19 at 12:43 PM..
Old 05-07-19, 10:52 AM
All Yappi

tom 48 will become famous soon enough
Jalen Rose says that Kyrie's teammates will help him pack to get him out of Boston.

Old 05-07-19, 12:15 PM
All Yappi

Old 05-07-19, 01:00 PM
All World

LeBron who??? All four series are good and very compelling. It drives me nuts to turn on sports radio and they are still talking about Lebron? Who the Lakers coach is going to be and who's going where next year. Just let the product speak for itself people!! The NBA has as many young stars as it's ever had. Giannis, Embiid, Simmons, Kawaii, Murray, Jokich, Tatum, just to name a few. And a few more come in each year.
Old 05-07-19, 02:04 PM
All Yappi

Fact is that leBron and Kyrie if not a pair of egocentric goofs could be making another deep run, but both are soon to be off our screens.
Old 05-08-19, 08:09 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Fact is that leBron and Kyrie if not a pair of egocentric goofs could be making another deep run, but both are soon to be off our screens.
Unfortunately we (and I say us as being adults the last 40 years) have turned into pro player and not do what's best for kids in the long run.
This mindset all began with the travel ball, AAU teams. The concept is good, you are good at something, you want to get better, play better competition, etc. Well, once we don't agree with the coach, or our playing time is cut, or we don't like our role on the team, we don't work harder to get what we want, we go find another team. Now it's blossomed into the high school levels. Kids move from school to school, team to team. Parents and others close to the kids tell them how great they are and there is no accountability for them to a program or a team. Now mind you this is all the while these kids get to set themselves up with a free ride to college and if they are good enough, a pro career, where if they stay in the NBA for any amount of time, they are set for life, making millions upon millions of dollars.

Now, we have young players in the league who are immature, and we wonder why? Now LeBron is a different cat altogether. As great as he is as a basketballplayer, he's a very difficult person to get along with, on and off the court. I heard Chris Broussard, an NBA analyst say something yesterday that made alot of sense. Kevin Durrant and Kawai Leonard have been able to seemlessly move into their new teams with little problem. LeBron simply can't do that. He has to change everything, he can't "fit in".