Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-02-19, 03:36 PM
All Region

seclmw is on a distinguished road
Black Swamp 18u question -

A quick look at the 18u schedule for the Great Black Swamp baseball tournaments seems to list a majority of Michigan teams.

Is this intentional or just the way things are working out at this time?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 07:51 AM
Freshman

diehardbaseballfan is on a distinguished road
A lot of NEO teams have stopped applying because of perceived favoritism.

Doesn't help that it always seems to rain.
Old 06-03-19, 08:38 AM
All District

bmss17 is on a distinguished road
Black Swamp 18u question -

For the record, that is still the 2018 schedule; 2019 is not out yet.

Curious, what is the perceived favoritism that NWO and SE Michigan teams seem to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-19, 07:58 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
My son played there at 16 & 17 U, and found everything well run. The facilities are first rate, w/decent competition. Probably the biggest conflict might be competing tournaments closer to home for many teams, or within a shorter driving distance. The weather for some reason also seemed to be cool and rainy, for whatever that's worth.
Old 06-03-19, 11:00 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Played in the 16u last year. Only complaint is that some of the fields are small for high school competition. One in particular was easy to hit home runs.
Old 06-04-19, 08:10 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmss17 View Post
For the record, that is still the 2018 schedule; 2019 is not out yet.

Curious, what is the perceived favoritism that NWO and SE Michigan teams seem to get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NEO teams being forced to pay $125/night to stay in a POS $45/night Days Inn room because they are not "local" probably just feels like the reverse of favoritism
Old 06-05-19, 08:56 AM
All Ohio

Son's team got stuck with the same Day's Inn hotel trap, in a not so great area of town. Team bailed on the hotel, and were able to find another hotel much nicer & closer to fields. Organization brass get kickbacks for booking these crap hotels. Only advise I would share if your team is planning on playing the Black Swamp, would be to book ahead at other hotels, and stay away from anything Days Inn related!
Old 06-06-19, 10:54 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitnrun View Post
Son's team got stuck with the same Day's Inn hotel trap, in a not so great area of town. Team bailed on the hotel, and were able to find another hotel much nicer & closer to fields. Organization brass get kickbacks for booking these crap hotels. Only advise I would share if your team is planning on playing the Black Swamp, would be to book ahead at other hotels, and stay away from anything Days Inn related!
The two part trap is a club's bad program head that chooses as a first consideration hotels that comp the coaches room over all other aspects. It's all about the parent lobby party spots and the breakfast, amirite?!

If you actually do the math on the "free coaches room!!", they upcharge the teams' rooms and are money ahead after the eighth family or so. If there is a better place on the hotel list that doesn't comp the coach's room, pass the hat among the parents and split the room. Someone will be happy to get the reward points for the extra room on their account, and they can collect from the other families. Or just take turns and settle up at the end of the season.
Old 06-06-19, 11:03 AM
All Region

seclmw is on a distinguished road
Hotels - is the "hotel list" requirement common for most of the big ($900 or more) tournaments? I don't think the big Legion tournament in Minnesota (90 teams?) has a requirement like that.

What if a team is "local" (say within 20 miles) - are they still charged?
Old 06-06-19, 12:13 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seclmw View Post
Hotels - is the "hotel list" requirement common for most of the big ($900 or more) tournaments? I don't think the big Legion tournament in Minnesota (90 teams?) has a requirement like that.

What if a team is "local" (say within 20 miles) - are they still charged?
Local teams typically don't have the "hotel requirement". Most tourneys will allow you to get out of the hotel requirement for a fee, usually $200-250, which is what they'll get from the hotels for the team booking the rooms. If you figure 10 families x 3 nights, that's 30 nights. If you can save $25-30/night by booking on your own, just pay the $200 fee to the tourney and stay where you want.

I ran a tourney in the Findlay/Bluffton/Tiffin area the same weekend as the Black Swamp...for two years. When I called to block hotel rooms, the hotels actually asked me how much $$$ I wanted them to add on to give us as a kickback before I ever asked. We didn't require anyone to stay in the rooms we blocked....and we didn't take a dime from the hotels. I didn't care where our teams stayed....and didn't want the hassle of hotel issues if any came up. We were there for baseball. We just wanted to have a quality tourney, with quality teams with good fields and keep it affordable....not to make $$$$.
Old 06-06-19, 08:15 PM
All Yappi

When we last played at the Black Swamp, we were at that infamous Days Inn. A maintenance guy was cutting up an old box spring with a Sawzall and stuffing it in the restaurant's dumpster next door as we pulled in. Not a good sign.

$99/night for the room, everything else booked around Bowling Green. Thursday evening check-in, and it's a dump. We stay Friday night there, too, and we all figure to move to another hotel for Saturday after the other teams get knocked out and rooms open up.

Sure enough, that's how it goes. We have like a 10am warm-up Saturday, and figure it's worth the hassle of a re-check-in to leave the flea bag dump and get into another room after the first game. So, I'm packing up the ol' Family Truckster after we drop off the kids, and the Mrs. goes to the front desk to check out. She says when she returns that some guy just comes in off the street to get a room for the night, and it's only $35 to Joe Random. When she told me this, I thought, "Yup - that was about a $35/night room".

The park where the youth games are has a central concession stand. If a kid gets a foul ball, he can take it to the concession stand and get a free sno-cone in exchange for the ball. $4 ball, $0.27 in a sno-cone, so that's pretty smart, right ?

It was really hot out, and my youngest is like the mascot li'l brother for my middle boy's team. He decides he's going to make it his mission to get every big kid in that dugout a sno-cone. By about the 6th sno-cone, the big fat toad that sits behind the table selling his T-shirts gets out and stops my kid. He says, "Gimme that!" and takes the ball. My kid wants his sno-cone ticket, says please even, and that fat bastard tells him to buzz off. He's hiding balls from chubby after that, of course, undeterred. No quit in that boy !

There are better events around. Screw that guy
Old 06-06-19, 11:07 PM
All Ohio

We just took a look at the Days Inn dump and booked. One of our team moms worked for a big hotel chain, and was able to pull some strings and get us quality accommodations closer to the park. No body lost a dime, as the hotel reimbursed our deposits on the spot after a little, err threatening. Needless to say the team, at that time affiliated with a certain organization head quartered out of Tallmadge, left said organization the following year. Just one of many horrible experiences with that group.