Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-10-19, 10:54 AM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enoughYappi will become famous soon enough
Score Keeping Questions

Use this thread for any score keeping questions...
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-19, 08:15 AM
All Region

seclmw is on a distinguished road
Reminder - Colleges and pro scouts often discount HS (and summer!) statistics.

Your double can be my 2-base error and in the "big scheme of things" it really doesn't matter.

Do your best, try to be fair and consistent and have a place to check on rules (book, web site, etc.)
Old 05-11-19, 10:34 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Just saw this tonight: first and third with one out. Grounder over second base, and the second baseman steps on second for one out but the throw to first (which was in plenty of time to get the batter/runner) is in the dirt so no out there but there is no advancement past first. The runner on third scores. The announcer says ‘E4 and no RBI’.

I’m thinking it can’t be an E4 because you can’t assume a double play, so can you deny the batter an RBI under the same pretense?
Old 05-11-19, 11:39 PM
Go Buckeyes

Just a quick little read on a couple other sites, it looks like you can't assume a double-play "on a bad throw." So in this case, the announcer and scorekeeper were wrong.

However, if the throw from the second baseman had been on target and the first baseman dropped it, then you would give the first baseman an error and the hitter would not get an RBI.

Quote:
Official Baseball Rules, Rule 10.14(c), states the following:

No error shall be charged against any fielder when he makes a wild throw in attempting to complete a double play or triple play, unless such wild throw enables any runner to advance beyond the base he would have reached had the throw not been wild.
Quote:
The second half of Rule 10.14 (c) states:

NOTE: When a fielder muffs a thrown ball which, if held, would have completed a double play or triple play, charge an error to the fielder who drops the ball and credit an assist to the fielder who made the throw. If the throw was on target ,and the first baseman drops the ball, an error can be charged to the first baseman.
Old 05-12-19, 02:57 AM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
I agree with Yappi. As for the RBI, if the runner from 3rd wasn't going, and therefore he scored on the bad throw itself, then it'd be an E4 not on the batter getting to first but the runner scoring. But in this situation, the runner was most likely running with the grounder to the opposite side of the field, so I believe there would have been an RBI in this case. In this case, I think there WOULD be an RBI since it was a simple fielder's choice.
Old 05-12-19, 07:32 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
I wonder if the scorekeeper in this instance said there was no RBI because it 'could/should' have been a double play or because he thought that was an error on the play?

Just because there is an error on the play doesn't mean the run scoring isnt considered an RBI. There are instances that you can properly award an RBI when an error has occurred and I think many get that point wrong.
Old 05-13-19, 04:29 PM
Go Buckeyes

I thought this was an interesting one:

Runner on 3rd base with less than two outs. A little bloop flyball in the infield behind the pitcher's mound. Runner held at 3rd to see if the ball was caught. Ball dropped cleanly and the hitter easily made it to first with no throw. Runner at 3rd took off when the ball hit the ground and was thrown out at home.

Two choices were:

* Infield hit, 6-2 putout.
* Fielder's choice 6-2.

I gave a hit to the batter because the runner delayed going home until after the ball hit the ground.
Old 05-14-19, 10:36 AM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
I thought this was an interesting one:

Runner on 3rd base with less than two outs. A little bloop flyball in the infield behind the pitcher's mound. Runner held at 3rd to see if the ball was caught. Ball dropped cleanly and the hitter easily made it to first with no throw. Runner at 3rd took off when the ball hit the ground and was thrown out at home.

Two choices were:

* Infield hit, 6-2 putout.
* Fielder's choice 6-2.

I gave a hit to the batter because the runner delayed going home until after the ball hit the ground.
I think I'd agree with you
Old 06-01-19, 07:59 PM
All Ohio

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
What's the ruling
Base's loaded. Batter hits slow ground ball to the S.S.
He flips it to the second baseman but it wasn't even close the runner on first was there very fast. So does the batter get. A hit? or A Fielders Choice.
I always thought to be a fielders choice there had to be an out made. So is it a fielder's choice or hit. The batter definitely would of beat out a throw to first. Ttb
Old 06-01-19, 08:05 PM
Go Buckeyes

That would be a hit.

You can have a FC even without an out. If a defensive player passes on a sure out to attempt to make a strategic out (ie lead runner, scoring runner) it would be a FC even if both runners are safe.
Old 06-03-19, 05:14 AM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
I think you would have to make a judgement on whether or not the batter would have been safe if the SS had thrown to first instead. If so-it is a FC, if not it is a 1B.
Old 06-03-19, 09:27 PM
All Yappi

Whom to you give this error to?

Ground ball to third base as a tailor-made double play. 3B fields cleanly and throws to second base but the 2B really never really covered and the throw went out to RF.

Believe I suggested E5 but the 2B is the one I would yell at if I were the coach.
Old 06-03-19, 09:28 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Whom to you give this error to?

Ground ball to third base as a tailor-made double play. 3B fields cleanly and throws to second base but the 2B really never really covered and the throw went out to RF.

Believe I suggested E5 but the 2B is the one I would yell at if I were the coach.
That's how I would have scored it, too.
Old 06-04-19, 12:51 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
That's how I would have scored it, too.

The 3B gets the error, even though the 2B may have been at fault. The 3B threw it....if nobody was there, he shouldn't have made the throw. Tough spot for him, but unfortunately it has to go to him....you can't give the 2B an error for stupidity lol
Old 06-04-19, 12:55 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
The 3B gets the error, even though the 2B may have been at fault. The 3B threw it....if nobody was there, he shouldn't have made the throw. Tough spot for him, but unfortunately it has to go to him....you can't give the 2B an error for stupidity lol
Yes, that's what I was agreeing to - E5.
Old 06-04-19, 12:57 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
True, and that was my reasoning. Plus, even though the throw looked good, in reality it may not have been but was hard to guage since there was no one there to catch it.

I guess he could have seen the 2b was nowhere close to the bag. Not unlike the coaches yelling at catchers to throw it to second on a steal even if the guy isn't there yet as he will, or should be, very shortly.
Old 06-04-19, 10:55 PM
All Ohio

hoban2020 is on a distinguished road
Wouldn’t this one be a Fielder’s Choice, and an error on the 3B?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-05-19, 05:24 AM
All Region

fortfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoban2020 View Post
Wouldn’t this one be a Fielder’s Choice, and an error on the 3B?
I would think so.