Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-03-19, 08:21 AM
Junior Varsity

USAF is on a distinguished road
CampusU tournament this past weekend.

This was the worst run tournament we have ever been associated with to may issues to list. Usually 1 or teams have complaints (weather, facilities, etc.), this weekend every coach that I talked to had issues. If you are thinking about playing in one of these I would look some place else.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-19, 01:20 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Dynamite thread.

Complaining about the weather at a tournament?

but anyways, what was wrong and where is this held?
Old 06-03-19, 05:00 PM
Junior Varsity

Weather was only an issue Friday(can't control weather only how you handle communications) Needs lessons from Buckeye Elite guys. Games were cancelled by field reps. They called and told the director at 1130 games were cancelled for the day and to contact the teams. Director never made call, found out when we got to the field and no one was there.

Saturday weather was perfect 4 teams only were able to play 7 innings because of the planning. Sunday the 2 teams behind us only had about 45 minutes of daylight to get their game in.

You can ask every team including field reps and it was labeled a disaster. I am not complaining about the fields, field reps or the teams. From looking at it from how a tournament should be run it was a disaster.

This was just a heads up if anyone was looking to fill a weekend, to look somewhere else.
Old 06-03-19, 08:00 PM
All Ohio

Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
where was the tournament held?
Old 06-03-19, 09:21 PM
All Yappi

thePITman is on a distinguished road
I played in a tournament over the weekend where we didn't receive rules for the tournament until less than 12 hours before the first game of the tournament. And even then it wasn't even a rules sheet; it was a text message that said "-3 bats only, 21 outs per pitcher per tournament." That was it. Nothing about EH/DH, spikes, refund policy, pool play tie breakers, or anything.

The web site for all the tournaments says $199 for 1-day tournaments, but we were charged $399 for this tournament (originally was meant to be a 2-day tournament, but only 4 teams registered, so it ended up being a 1-day tournament.

Then we find out the tournament director was also the head coach of one of the teams in the tournament and conveniently scheduled his 15U travel team to play the other two 14U community teams in pool play to avoid the other 15U travel team.

They charged $5 per person to get into the tournament.

They used Little League baseballs for a 15U travel/open baseball tournament (but required -3 BBCOR bats).

The lack of communication after the last 2 games of Day 1 were delayed caused our families all sorts of nightmares cancelling reservations, fighting to get their reservations back, driving 1.5 hours 1-way only to find out with little notice that games were postponed, etc. Then we had to ask for extended checkout the next day, then sat and waited in a baseball field parking lot with nobody else there working on the field just to finally hear the remaining games were cancelled.

Thankfully, our 14U community team played and BEAT both the 15U travel teams and won the tournament despite not getting to play the "Championship" game against the 15U travel team we beat the day before whose coach was the tournament director. He was bitter that he didn't get another shot at us and initially said he would not send us our trophies. LoL
Old 06-03-19, 09:23 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF View Post
Weather was only an issue Friday(can't control weather only how you handle communications) Needs lessons from Buckeye Elite guys. Games were cancelled by field reps. They called and told the director at 1130 games were cancelled for the day and to contact the teams. Director never made call, found out when we got to the field and no one was there.

Saturday weather was perfect 4 teams only were able to play 7 innings because of the planning. Sunday the 2 teams behind us only had about 45 minutes of daylight to get their game in.

You can ask every team including field reps and it was labeled a disaster. I am not complaining about the fields, field reps or the teams. From looking at it from how a tournament should be run it was a disaster.

This was just a heads up if anyone was looking to fill a weekend, to look somewhere else.
YOu made it sound like people compiain about weather at tournaments.
\

Where are these game held and what age level?

So far all the tournaments we have been in, no campus U, have had excellent communication via their websites. Often times I got the updates on the website before the coaches even got the info out to the team.

but I digress
Old 06-03-19, 11:02 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF View Post
This was the worst run tournament we have ever been associated with to may issues to list. Usually 1 or teams have complaints (weather, facilities, etc.), this weekend every coach that I talked to had issues. If you are thinking about playing in one of these I would look some place else.
Watched 3 Games Sunday at Edgewood High Varsity Field of 16U and didnít really hear or see any issues. They had an older gentleman and 2 younger guys operating the scoreboard and tending to the field after every game.
Old 06-04-19, 07:00 AM
Junior Varsity

The gentleman at Edgewood did a great job. No issues with the field guys only the actual tournament director.
Old 06-04-19, 12:47 PM
All American

tcgobucks is on a distinguished road
I have been in/around travel ball for 12 years now, including hosting a tourney for 2 years that some of you guys may have had teams/kids play in. It's not tough, and trust me, we had MAJOR weather issues both years. Just communicate before and during the tourney. This thing called the internet makes it easy....or a system like "One-Call" to send messages to every coach/team at once. As far as Campus U. I'd never heard of them until this thread. 1) They have the U from Univ of Miami on their website....so strike 1... 2) they have no rules, schedules, etc on their website....strike 2.....at this point, I wouldn't have needed a strike 3. There are plenty of well established tourneys in the area, sure, it may cost a couple bucks more, but there's a reason why the good tourneys are the good tourneys.
Old 06-04-19, 01:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcgobucks View Post
I have been in/around travel ball for 12 years now, including hosting a tourney for 2 years that some of you guys may have had teams/kids play in. It's not tough, and trust me, we had MAJOR weather issues both years. Just communicate before and during the tourney. This thing called the internet makes it easy....or a system like "One-Call" to send messages to every coach/team at once. As far as Campus U. I'd never heard of them until this thread. 1) They have the U from Univ of Miami on their website....so strike 1... 2) they have no rules, schedules, etc on their website....strike 2.....at this point, I wouldn't have needed a strike 3. There are plenty of well established tourneys in the area, sure, it may cost a couple bucks more, but there's a reason why the good tourneys are the good tourneys.
Wonder how long they been around and how much they charge per team and such. I am just in the beginning stages of this garbage, (year 2) and the amount of money teams, tournaments charge is I N S A N E.

Guess they days of old when we just had to provide one game ball and a check for one umpire was all it took to play in tournaments is long over!!!!

Like this weekend $800/team and the fans still have to pay $10/each to get in.

What a crock. Of course, they plan the first three days with just one game each day to make sure all the families have to get more nights in the hotels.