Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-18, 08:04 PM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
So what is that other poster so upset about?

Not sure probably someone stirring the pot. I have heard nothing but good about Coach Puckett. He demands them to do things right and if they donít they do it again. I see nothing wrong with that. He talks about teaching them to be good men, sons husbands just as much as football players. I guess some people donít like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-18, 08:11 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple&Gold View Post
Not sure probably someone stirring the pot. I have heard nothing but good about Coach Puckett. He demands them to do things right and if they donít they do it again. I see nothing wrong with that. He talks about teaching them to be good men, sons husbands just as much as football players. I guess some people donít like that.

Oh the humanity! Lol.

My high school football coach knew football. But he was a better person. He truly cared for his players and wanted the best for us in everything we did.
Old 06-12-18, 08:37 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
I didn't know what to expect until I had a chance to meet and talk with Coach Puckett at the Rotary awhile back.

Football is a tough sport and the work that goes into being ready for the Friday night lights is anything but glorious. You can lay around a pool and kick it with your boys or you can work to be bigger, better, faster and stronger. It's a commitment and it's not for everyone then again neither is winning.

The program was in a tailspin and it crashed. Puckett has been brought in to pick up the pieces and build this thing the right way. For the first time maybe in forever Butler brought a guy in to coach football. Puckett comes from programs known for their toughness, intensity and success in CJ and Centerville. Those offseason programs at those schools are no walk in the park either but the weakness and excuses have long since been purged.

Numbers dwindled over the last few seasons and that attrition isn't going to be overcome in a single offseason. The numbers come back when a culture is born...and when the wins and excitement return. Kids quit every year and it's better to get them out now. If they quit when adversity strikes you know their character. If they will quit on you now they will sure as hell quit on you in the game when you need them most.

I'll take 35 kids that want to play and are willing to lay it all on the line anyday over 100 lukewarm bodies. Puckett is intense and he is demanding but he is fair and he is committed. He has his work cutout for him but he is the right man for the job. He is not here to please and cater he is here to build a program and put Butler in a position for sustained success.

I honestly cannot imagine a better guy for the job. I don't expect much this year in terms of wins and that shouldn't be an indictment on Puckett it will take some time to get it on track. But there will be noticable differences in how our young men battle on Friday nights. These guys will be relentless and brutal.
This is very well said. And I do believe Tipp is experiencing a similar although not as bad situation.
Old 06-12-18, 08:49 PM
All District

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No they will go after school like every other program does.

Do you know that? That was the original plan. Ask any player or parent.
Old 06-12-18, 09:05 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBHSFB04 View Post
Do you know that? That was the original plan. Ask any player or parent.
Thinning of the heard. Proud of the legacy this small number will start.
Old 06-13-18, 07:24 AM
Varsity

jpatt6879 is on a distinguished road
Aviators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-18, 07:36 AM
All District

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The idea of Football being a teaching tool to develop the player into a better person has been a pillar of coaching since the game was invented. President Theodore Roosevelt said he would not ban the game of football because it was a "builder of men" when there was a push to outlaw the game because it was too dangerous. Every coach in America uses the concept of developing the person in one form or another. Your suggestion that I don't like that couldn't be more inaccurate.
Old 06-13-18, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
..... Every coach in America uses the concept of developing the person in one form or another. Your suggestion that I don't like that couldn't be more inaccurate.
If you think "every" coach in America uses Football to focus on building up youth vs. winning only and personal agenda you are a lost cause.

You are literally whining about things being too hard. Get out of here, VB needs things to hard.
Old 06-13-18, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Tipp is by no means in a “tailspin”. One losing season in 14 years and they are in a tailspin? I think not!
Sorry, I meant all the drama that was on here a few threads ago around coaches and assistants and honestly just girl soap opera noise. There is no debate that Tipp is one of the worst parent run sports schools in Greater Dayton area. The threads of a few months ago back that up.
Old 06-13-18, 10:48 AM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The idea of Football being a teaching tool to develop the player into a better person has been a pillar of coaching since the game was invented. President Theodore Roosevelt said he would not ban the game of football because it was a "builder of men" when there was a push to outlaw the game because it was too dangerous. Every coach in America uses the concept of developing the person in one form or another. Your suggestion that I don't like that couldn't be more inaccurate.

I never said you didnít like developing kids to be better men but I have not heard much drama about the program and the new coach except from you. Yes the numbers are down but I think numbers are down in most programs but I could be mistaken. The 2 classes you keep referring to have had there numbers dropping since middle school. My opinion is those classes have kids that donít want to work hard so they took the easy road and quit. Better for the program in the long run dropping kids that donít want to buy into it.

Old 06-13-18, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I never said you didnít like developing kids to be better men but I have not heard much drama about the program and the new coach except from you. Yes the numbers are down but I think numbers are down in most programs but I could be mistaken. The 2 classes you keep referring to have had there numbers dropping since middle school. My opinion is those classes have kids that donít want to work hard so they took the easy road and quit. Better for the program in the long run dropping kids that donít want to buy into it.

Old 06-25-18, 07:44 AM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
Saw a video of camp this weekend and numbers didn’t look any lower than two a days last year. Saw a lot of returning faces too so doesn’t look like a lot of great starters are gone. I know of one kid who played last year that is not playing this year but that decision has nothing to do with coaching.
Old 06-27-18, 06:20 PM
All American

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
Iíll take a stab at it in this way to early prediction and say that Vandalia finishes 6-4 this year.
Old 06-28-18, 08:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
Iíll take a stab at it in this way to early prediction and say that Vandalia finishes 6-4 this year.
I think when you do not have a lot of D1 football players on the field and your changing systems, the first season can be an adjustment year. 6-4 would be an awesome accomplishment.

I really think you need to judge the year on the last 4 games, that is when you should see really good improvements. (ignoring W-L)
Old 06-28-18, 10:34 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
I think when you do not have a lot of D1 football players on the field and your changing systems, the first season can be an adjustment year. 6-4 would be an awesome accomplishment.

I really think you need to judge the year on the last 4 games, that is when you should see really good improvements. (ignoring W-L)
Agreed. You canít look at wins and losses this year and make a judgement. Give Puckett some time the wins will come.
Old 07-13-18, 09:16 PM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Drummer Article on Puckett and Aviators: http://www.butleraviatorsfootball.com/articles
Old 07-15-18, 09:44 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerAviator83 View Post
Drummer Article on Puckett and Aviators: http://www.butleraviatorsfootball.com/articles
I like what Puckett is bringing and could not think of a better program than Centerville to have the kids connect with. if he can turn Butler into a fraction of what centerville has been able to achieve that would be HUGE. Great to see the program in good hands! Bring on football.
Old 07-16-18, 07:08 AM
Hail To The Aviators

ButlerAviator83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
I like what Puckett is bringing and could not think of a better program than Centerville to have the kids connect with. if he can turn Butler into a fraction of what centerville has been able to achieve that would be HUGE. Great to see the program in good hands! Bring on football.
Amen!
Old 07-17-18, 07:20 PM
All Region

EXPRESS is on a distinguished road
I think they have Harrison out of the gate this year, not a good match up if you want to get confidence in the program under a new coach. AD might want to schedule a few easier out of conference games next year to get the program on the right track.
Old 07-18-18, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Harrison is a game they can definately compete in if not possibly win. Butler isnít West Carrollton just needed different direction theh arenít that far removed from playoffs
Old 07-19-18, 06:17 PM
All Ohio

Not a fan of Harrison out of the gate but it beats playing Loveland or Perry. I would imagine that with nine conference games starting next year maybe we will play someone closer to home for that first game each year. Would like to see it be Northridge. Open and end the season with border rivals that are similar in size.
Old 07-19-18, 06:37 PM
All Region

EXPRESS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by catscatscats View Post
Harrison is a game they can definately compete in if not possibly win. Butler isnít West Carrollton just needed different direction theh arenít that far removed from playoffs
I think Vanndalia may be a little surprised when they match up with Harrison. Edgewood might be an option for you next year and a little closer but not sure Vandalia would want them on the schedule early in the season either.
Old 07-19-18, 07:00 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPRESS View Post
I think Vanndalia may be a little surprised when they match up with Harrison. Edgewood might be an option for you next year and a little closer but not sure Vandalia would want them on the schedule early in the season either.
Donít oversell Edgewood. Just about every program in the GWOC besides Stebbins, West Carrolton, Xenia and Greenville would compete with or beat Edgewood. Especially the sleeping giant that is Butler. Aside from that, I have noticed an increase in players transferring to Tipp from Butler or just moving to Tipp from their. I know of at least 3 players who will be major contributors for Tipp who started out at Butler.
Old 07-20-18, 07:33 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Donít oversell Edgewood. Just about every program in the GWOC besides Stebbins, West Carrolton, Xenia and Greenville would compete with or beat Edgewood. Especially the sleeping giant that is Butler. Aside from that, I have noticed an increase in players transferring to Tipp from Butler or just moving to Tipp from their. I know of at least 3 players who will be major contributors for Tipp who started out at Butler.
Enrollment overall has declined through the years and I know a number of families who have moved to Tipp City. Hard to find fault in that itís a quaint city, lower taxes and great schools. Football numbers naturally have taken a hit too and there are a number of factors there. Football overall I think has decreased among youth programs for safety concerns and at the high school level instability within the program itself has hurt. It will take time to unravel and get on track but I think Butler will stabilize and thrive under Puckett. Within three years I am hopeful that fans will see playoff caliber football and not the 6-4 one and done kind.
Old 07-21-18, 05:15 PM
Junior Varsity

latti6935a is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Especially the sleeping giant that is Butler.
Old 07-22-18, 03:40 PM
Varsity

ButlerParent is an unknown quantity at this point
Bush left program league chamsp and a playoff team.

Hyatt took over and failed to do either with great talent.

Now Butler in just two years is getting just 50 boys out for team.

Thanks coach Hyatt!!!
Old 07-22-18, 03:42 PM
Varsity

ButlerParent is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBenchwarmer View Post
What happened to the great things Hyatt was going to do?
Old 07-22-18, 04:30 PM
All Yappi

hoser can only hope to improve
Quote:
Don’t oversell Edgewood. Just about every program in the GWOC besides Stebbins, West Carrolton, Xenia and Greenville would compete with or beat Edgewood. Especially the sleeping giant that is Butler. Aside from that, I have noticed an increase in players transferring to Tipp from Butler or just moving to Tipp from their. I know of at least 3 players who will be major contributors for Tipp who started out at Butler.
Uh all-time Edgewood is 8-8-2 against Harrison. Uh during that time Edgewood has 2 league championships and Harrison has nada. Uh not exactly a Harrison sunnami.UH Butler has been to the playoffs how many times in the last 5 years? Uh that's what I thought. Uh Tipp would be an also ran in the SWOC.Uh "sleeping giant" is hilarious. Go get ready for the sat, youre going to need it.
Old 07-22-18, 05:56 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButlerParent View Post
What happened to the great things Hyatt was going to do?
Hyatt is a great coach this was just not the best fit. Pete Carrol didnít have success in New England but did great things at USC and Seattle. One gig that didnít work out doesnít make him a bad coach. You canít deny what he did at Bradford. One of the greatest turn arounds in high school football. Numbers are down because kids these days donít want to work and parents are hysterical about injuries. Hyattís not there anymore so if he was the issue seems everyone could just come out of hiding now. Put away your axe there is nothing to grind it with here. Wish the new guy the best and support the program.
Old 07-22-18, 05:58 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by latti6935a View Post
Laugh it up Skippy I donít think Tipp is light years ahead of Vandalia.