Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-18, 08:04 PM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
So what is that other poster so upset about?

Not sure probably someone stirring the pot. I have heard nothing but good about Coach Puckett. He demands them to do things right and if they donít they do it again. I see nothing wrong with that. He talks about teaching them to be good men, sons husbands just as much as football players. I guess some people donít like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-18, 08:11 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple&Gold View Post
Not sure probably someone stirring the pot. I have heard nothing but good about Coach Puckett. He demands them to do things right and if they donít they do it again. I see nothing wrong with that. He talks about teaching them to be good men, sons husbands just as much as football players. I guess some people donít like that.

Oh the humanity! Lol.

My high school football coach knew football. But he was a better person. He truly cared for his players and wanted the best for us in everything we did.
Old 06-12-18, 08:37 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom_isnt_free View Post
I didn't know what to expect until I had a chance to meet and talk with Coach Puckett at the Rotary awhile back.

Football is a tough sport and the work that goes into being ready for the Friday night lights is anything but glorious. You can lay around a pool and kick it with your boys or you can work to be bigger, better, faster and stronger. It's a commitment and it's not for everyone then again neither is winning.

The program was in a tailspin and it crashed. Puckett has been brought in to pick up the pieces and build this thing the right way. For the first time maybe in forever Butler brought a guy in to coach football. Puckett comes from programs known for their toughness, intensity and success in CJ and Centerville. Those offseason programs at those schools are no walk in the park either but the weakness and excuses have long since been purged.

Numbers dwindled over the last few seasons and that attrition isn't going to be overcome in a single offseason. The numbers come back when a culture is born...and when the wins and excitement return. Kids quit every year and it's better to get them out now. If they quit when adversity strikes you know their character. If they will quit on you now they will sure as hell quit on you in the game when you need them most.

I'll take 35 kids that want to play and are willing to lay it all on the line anyday over 100 lukewarm bodies. Puckett is intense and he is demanding but he is fair and he is committed. He has his work cutout for him but he is the right man for the job. He is not here to please and cater he is here to build a program and put Butler in a position for sustained success.

I honestly cannot imagine a better guy for the job. I don't expect much this year in terms of wins and that shouldn't be an indictment on Puckett it will take some time to get it on track. But there will be noticable differences in how our young men battle on Friday nights. These guys will be relentless and brutal.
This is very well said. And I do believe Tipp is experiencing a similar although not as bad situation.
Old 06-12-18, 08:49 PM
All District

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No they will go after school like every other program does.

Do you know that? That was the original plan. Ask any player or parent.
Old 06-12-18, 09:05 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBHSFB04 View Post
Do you know that? That was the original plan. Ask any player or parent.
Thinning of the heard. Proud of the legacy this small number will start.
Old 06-13-18, 07:24 AM
Junior Varsity

jpatt6879 is on a distinguished road
Aviators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-13-18, 07:36 AM
All District

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

The idea of Football being a teaching tool to develop the player into a better person has been a pillar of coaching since the game was invented. President Theodore Roosevelt said he would not ban the game of football because it was a "builder of men" when there was a push to outlaw the game because it was too dangerous. Every coach in America uses the concept of developing the person in one form or another. Your suggestion that I don't like that couldn't be more inaccurate.
Old 06-13-18, 10:16 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
..... Every coach in America uses the concept of developing the person in one form or another. Your suggestion that I don't like that couldn't be more inaccurate.
If you think "every" coach in America uses Football to focus on building up youth vs. winning only and personal agenda you are a lost cause.

You are literally whining about things being too hard. Get out of here, VB needs things to hard.
Old 06-13-18, 10:21 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Tipp is by no means in a “tailspin”. One losing season in 14 years and they are in a tailspin? I think not!
Sorry, I meant all the drama that was on here a few threads ago around coaches and assistants and honestly just girl soap opera noise. There is no debate that Tipp is one of the worst parent run sports schools in Greater Dayton area. The threads of a few months ago back that up.
Old 06-13-18, 10:48 AM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The idea of Football being a teaching tool to develop the player into a better person has been a pillar of coaching since the game was invented. President Theodore Roosevelt said he would not ban the game of football because it was a "builder of men" when there was a push to outlaw the game because it was too dangerous. Every coach in America uses the concept of developing the person in one form or another. Your suggestion that I don't like that couldn't be more inaccurate.

I never said you didnít like developing kids to be better men but I have not heard much drama about the program and the new coach except from you. Yes the numbers are down but I think numbers are down in most programs but I could be mistaken. The 2 classes you keep referring to have had there numbers dropping since middle school. My opinion is those classes have kids that donít want to work hard so they took the easy road and quit. Better for the program in the long run dropping kids that donít want to buy into it.

Old 06-13-18, 12:37 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
I never said you didnít like developing kids to be better men but I have not heard much drama about the program and the new coach except from you. Yes the numbers are down but I think numbers are down in most programs but I could be mistaken. The 2 classes you keep referring to have had there numbers dropping since middle school. My opinion is those classes have kids that donít want to work hard so they took the easy road and quit. Better for the program in the long run dropping kids that donít want to buy into it.