Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-11-18, 07:10 PM
All American

TheBenchwarmer is on a distinguished road
Vandalia Football

New coaches in place at Vandalia how will they be this year?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-18, 08:04 AM
All District

VBHSFB04 is on a distinguished road
The program has been wrecked in the last few years and the new coach has continued the tailspin. Barely have double figures in So and Jr classes combined. Kids just don't want to play for this guy. Feel bad for the kids because the politics around Butler has ruined football for them.
Old 06-12-18, 08:11 AM
Varsity

BleedPurple&Gold is on a distinguished road
So what has the new guy done to continue the tailspin? Thought this guy was a outsider which is what everyone wanted to get rid of the politics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-18, 09:23 AM
All District

He's created an environment where they are going to have a roster that numbers maybe less than 30 kids in grades 10-12. There are multiple kids that would have been starters that have quit.
Old 06-12-18, 10:09 AM
Varsity

Those grades had weak numbers every year. Those classes have low numbers in all sports. So I would not read to much into that.

Old 06-12-18, 10:12 AM
All American

America is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe they actually have to work hard and put in effort? Dave Miller's first year at Fairmont saw around 15-20 kids quit because they didn't like his style and expectations because they were all used to having Andy Aracri letting them slack off. Look at where Fairmont is now.
Old 06-12-18, 10:16 AM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Sounds like he's weeding out the chaff...
Old 06-12-18, 10:46 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Could be for the best in long run. Springfield has numerous kids quit first couple years of coaching change. It ended up being for best
Old 06-12-18, 10:47 AM
All District

No. There are some really good kids that work their tails off that are not going to play. Butler does not have the talent pool of Springfield. Were talking about back to back classes of 5 or 6 players and the incoming Freshman class is down in numbers from what it should have been. They should thank their lucky stars that they are forming a new conference.

Last edited by VBHSFB04; 06-12-18 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-12-18, 11:05 AM
All District

They ran Hyatt out after going 5-5 and 4-6. They win, at most, 3 games this year. The new league will keep them around 4 wins most years, but they will not beat anybody in the North in the near future save Greenville and that might be competitive. I am no advocate for Hyatt either, awful!
Old 06-12-18, 11:15 AM
Varsity

From what I am hearing there is 22-25 freshman so not sure what numbers you were looking for.

Old 06-12-18, 12:25 PM
All World

serpico will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by VBHSFB04 View Post
No. There are some really good kids that work their tails off that are not going to play.
Why not?
Old 06-12-18, 12:57 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Who are these kids that you say have quit? I find it hard to believe Butler will have numbers around 30. Although Tipp will most likely have their lowest numbers in awhile numbering in the 40s. But they have had over 35 freshman come out for summer lifting.
Old 06-12-18, 01:25 PM
All District

Do you really think I'm going to put kids names on here? Believe it, their numbers are in the 30's in grades 10 through 12. Most likely in the low 30's. Butler's freshman should be at 30 kids. Bleed P&G says they are at 22-25 which is good if they keep them all.
Old 06-12-18, 01:40 PM
Varsity

jpatt6879 is on a distinguished road
When does the search for the new coach start?
Old 06-12-18, 01:51 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Why not?
Everyone has a reason. I can't speak for each one. From what I hear the in season schedule demands are quite ridiculous. Another problem I hear is there is pressure for kids not to play multiple sports which at Butler is a big deal because there are a lot of them.
Old 06-12-18, 02:51 PM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No. There are some really good kids that work their tails off that are not going to play. Butler does not have the talent pool of Springfield. Were talking about back to back classes of 5 or 6 players and the incoming Freshman class is down in numbers from what it should have been. They should thank their lucky stars that they are forming a new conference.
If you quite football, you were never a football player to begin with. Let us clean house, get football players, and build from anew. Outside of real physical or mental abuse, there is no reason besides not really understanding football to begin with. Outside of more details I have no answer except softness. Football is not fun.
Old 06-12-18, 02:54 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippIsGreat View Post
Who are these kids that you say have quit? I find it hard to believe Butler will have numbers around 30. Although Tipp will most likely have their lowest numbers in awhile numbering in the 40s. But they have had over 35 freshman come out for summer lifting.
Why is both Butler and Tipp in a tailspin together? This stinks, I was going to blast tipp city for their tailspin, now Butler is in the same boat. Good grief.
Old 06-12-18, 02:55 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Everyone has a reason. I can't speak for each one. From what I hear the in season schedule demands are quite ridiculous. Another problem I hear is there is pressure for kids not to play multiple sports which at Butler is a big deal because there are a lot of them.
Arg, if there is pressure to focus on Football that is very poor. Disappointing to hear. Any idea what the in-season demands actually are supposed to be?
Old 06-12-18, 02:56 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
Why is both Butler and Tipp in a tailspin together? This stinks, I was going to blast tipp city for their tailspin, now Butler is in the same boat. Good grief.

I think you hit on it earlier. Football is not easy and I think kids have way to many other things to do so why do the hard stuff.

Old 06-12-18, 02:59 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When I played...a long time ago...football was 6 days a week in season. Plus keep grades up, don't get in trouble, etc. How much worse could it be than that?

I don't like the pressure to specialize on one sport though.
Old 06-12-18, 03:00 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Arg, if there is pressure to focus on Football that is very poor. Disappointing to hear. Any idea what the in-season demands actually are supposed to be?

I think pressuring these guys to play one sport over another one is from the past. I think the coaches now know that Butler is to small to do that and they might be the one to loose there player. I think they all work good with each other now. I think they workout together sometimes so they don’t run them off.

Old 06-12-18, 03:10 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple&Gold View Post
I think pressuring these guys to play one sport over another one is from the past. I think the coaches now know that Butler is to small to do that and they might be the one to loose there player. I think they all work good with each other now. I think they workout together sometimes so they don’t run them off.

There are so many great multi-sport combination that are football focused:

Big Numbers
Football - Wrestle - Track Throw

Small Numbers:
Football - Basketball - Track Run/Baseball

I think most advanced coaches recognize the time lost in the weight room are outweighed by many of the benefits. The track guys can lift and runtrack. If our coaches had to figure that out on the fly, that is not good.
Old 06-12-18, 03:18 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
When I played...a long time ago...football was 6 days a week in season. Plus keep grades up, don't get in trouble, etc. How much worse could it be than that?

I don't like the pressure to specialize on one sport though.
My bet/hope is they are just trying the mandatory early morning commitments. Which I would be all for

And to be fair, if VB is not out working every school we play, we will not be good consistently. We will not consistently have the horses. We need to spend more time than anyone else.
Old 06-12-18, 05:35 PM
All District

Quote:
My bet/hope is they are just trying the mandatory early morning commitments. Which I would be all for

And to be fair, if VB is not out working every school we play, we will not be good consistently. We will not consistently have the horses. We need to spend more time than anyone else.
During the season? That is madness. Bring them in 6 am and they get home around 7 pm during the season. Crazy.
Old 06-12-18, 06:41 PM
All American

TippIsGreat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Tipp is by no means in a “tailspin”. One losing season in 14 years and they are in a tailspin? I think not!
Old 06-12-18, 07:37 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
During the season? That is madness. Bring them in 6 am and they get home around 7 pm during the season. Crazy.
So is that what they are trying to do then?
Old 06-12-18, 07:41 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
So is that what they are trying to do then?

No they will go after school like every other program does.

Old 06-12-18, 07:54 PM
All Ohio

freedom_isnt_free is on a distinguished road
I didn't know what to expect until I had a chance to meet and talk with Coach Puckett at the Rotary awhile back.

Football is a tough sport and the work that goes into being ready for the Friday night lights is anything but glorious. You can lay around a pool and kick it with your boys or you can work to be bigger, better, faster and stronger. It's a commitment and it's not for everyone then again neither is winning.

The program was in a tailspin and it crashed. Puckett has been brought in to pick up the pieces and build this thing the right way. For the first time maybe in forever Butler brought a guy in to coach football. Puckett comes from programs known for their toughness, intensity and success in CJ and Centerville. Those offseason programs at those schools are no walk in the park either but the weakness and excuses have long since been purged.

Numbers dwindled over the last few seasons and that attrition isn't going to be overcome in a single offseason. The numbers come back when a culture is born...and when the wins and excitement return. Kids quit every year and it's better to get them out now. If they quit when adversity strikes you know their character. If they will quit on you now they will sure as hell quit on you in the game when you need them most.

I'll take 35 kids that want to play and are willing to lay it all on the line anyday over 100 lukewarm bodies. Puckett is intense and he is demanding but he is fair and he is committed. He has his work cutout for him but he is the right man for the job. He is not here to please and cater he is here to build a program and put Butler in a position for sustained success.

I honestly cannot imagine a better guy for the job. I don't expect much this year in terms of wins and that shouldn't be an indictment on Puckett it will take some time to get it on track. But there will be noticable differences in how our young men battle on Friday nights. These guys will be relentless and brutal.
Old 06-12-18, 07:59 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedPurple&Gold View Post
No they will go after school like every other program does.

So what is that other poster so upset about?