Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-10-18, 08:26 AM
All World

bdhof is on a distinguished road
Final X

Results

70 kilograms: James Green def. Jason Chamberlain, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Green dec. Chamberlain, 2-0
Match 2: Green dec. Chamberlain, 2-1

59 kilograms: Alli Ragan def. Jenna Burkert, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Ragan dec. Burkert, 4-0
Match 2: Ragan dec. Burkert, 5-0

97 kilograms: Kyle Snyder def. Kyven Gadson, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Snyder dec. Gadson, 9-0
Match 2: Snyder dec. Gadson, 10-2

55 kilograms: Jacarra Winchester def. Becka Leathers, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Winchester dec. Leathers, 10-6
Match 2: Winchester dec. Leathers, 5-1

57 kilograms: Thomas Gilman def. Daton Fix, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Gilman dec. Fix, 6-3
Match 2: Gilman dec. Fix, 2-1

68 kilograms: Tamyra Stock def. Randyll Beltz, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Mensah-Stock tech. fall Beltz, 10-0
Match 2: Mensah-Stock tech. fall Beltz, 10-0

74 kilograms: Jordan Burroughs def. Isaiah Martinez, 2 matches to 0
Match 1: Burroughs dec. Martinez, 4-1
Match 2: Burroughs tech. fall Martinez, 11-1
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 08:34 AM
All World

In the only upset, Jacarra Winchester knocked off world bronze medalist Becka Leathers.

Snyder shows Gadson, once again, that Captain America is the king when it comes to freestyle.

Gilman shows Fix that the young guns will have to wait for awhile to take over at 57kg.

In a display of boring wrestling, Green wins two matches without a takedown (I think). This style seems to be out of the norm, thankfully, as most matches in the Open and WTT and the first phase of Final X were extremely entertaining.
Old 06-10-18, 08:43 AM
All Region

knightflyer150 is on a distinguished road
It was a great watch. My takeaways:

Snyder and Burroughs are still way ahead, obviously. Burroughs looks leaner and ripped, like he's adjusted his body type as he's gotten older (similar to Lebron James).

Gilman is kind of fun to watch as The Heel. He should medal again. Fix is so dang good.

Alli Ragan is a five time team member and has been at Hawkeye Wrestling Club training. I think it shows, as she looks even tougher. Winchester looked huge vs Leathers.
Overall, the womens depth is really, really strong, compared to even five years ago. The only mis-match was with Mensah-Stock (who can medal) vs Beltz (who has a good resume but looked really bad).

All seven we saw last night have good chances to medal. This is going to be a nice team, overall.
Old 06-10-18, 09:48 AM
All District

pinem07 is on a distinguished road
I hope we see Final X stop in Columbus or Cleveland next year. Be a lot of Ohio guys or with Ohio ties going for a world spot next year. Stieber, Snyder, McKenna, Tomasello and the current OSU guys trying to make the team I think it could do really well in Ohio somewhere.
Old 06-10-18, 09:51 PM
All World

Yankeefan33 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdhof View Post
In the only upset, Jacarra Winchester knocked off world bronze medalist Becka Leathers.

Snyder shows Gadson, once again, that Captain America is the king when it comes to freestyle.

Gilman shows Fix that the young guns will have to wait for awhile to take over at 57kg.

In a display of boring wrestling, Green wins two matches without a takedown (I think). This style seems to be out of the norm, thankfully, as most matches in the Open and WTT and the first phase of Final X were extremely entertaining.
Know Green addressed it on Twitter last night, but him and Chamberlain were training partners for two years in Nebraska. Tougher to score against guys you saw every day, and Chamberlain has pretty good defense anyways.

I hadn't seen Winchester wrestle at all before Final X, but I was intrigued. Think our women's team will be fun to watch this year.
Old 06-12-18, 09:24 AM
All Ohio

tkdn_wizard is on a distinguished road
I thought it was I-Mar's time to take over??
Old 06-13-18, 10:20 AM
All Ohio

wrestling125 is on a distinguished road
It seems that Gilman has separated himself from the rest of the group at 57. It looks like him and Spencer Lee will be battling it out for that spot for years to come. Would not be surprised to see a retirement by Nato.
Old 06-13-18, 10:39 AM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdn_wizard View Post
I thought it was I-Mar's time to take over??
Who thought that? He couldnít even beat Vincenzo, but he was supposed to beat Burroughs?
Old 06-15-18, 03:07 PM
All Ohio

TheFan1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divided42 View Post
Who thought that? He couldnít even beat Vincenzo, but he was supposed to beat Burroughs?
And someone read the 100-plus comments on Facebook on the flo page LOL. there was a lot of people on there thinking that IMAR's style was there. Nope
Old 06-15-18, 08:41 PM
All District

Crab Ride is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrestling125 View Post
It seems that Gilman has separated himself from the rest of the group at 57. It looks like him and Spencer Lee will be battling it out for that spot for years to come. Would not be surprised to see a retirement by Nato.
Why would NATO retire?? If you donít think he can compete with Gilman and Lee youíre nuts.
Old 06-16-18, 12:18 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFan1 View Post
And someone read the 100-plus comments on Facebook on the flo page LOL. there was a lot of people on there thinking that IMAR's style was there. Nope
Burroughs has five career losses- a fluky criteria loss to Marable (who made the World team that year), two losses to Russians (Tsargush and Geduev), a he-didn't-care loss to Bekzod, and the loss to Dake (who has wins over four other Olympic medalists) before he beat him twice. That's in seven years. Five losses, seven years. There's like five guys in the World who can beat Jordan at that weight, and IMar isn't one of them yet.
Old 06-16-18, 02:40 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab Ride View Post
Why would NATO retire?? If you donít think he can compete with Gilman and Lee youíre nuts.
Gilman has had the upper edge on Nato the majority of the time in the past. Fix beat Nato in freestyle 2 matches to 0 in their only meeting. Lee pinned Nato in their last appearance and will only continue to improve. And Ramos took out Nato the last time they wrestled. This ranks Nato 5th in America. While I could see him maybe pulling the upset on one of these guys I highly doubt he could run the gauntlet and beat the majority of them which he would have to do in order to make a world team.
Old 06-16-18, 09:12 PM
Varsity

UsedToBe103 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Gilman has had the upper edge on Nato the majority of the time in the past. Fix beat Nato in freestyle 2 matches to 0 in their only meeting. Lee pinned Nato in their last appearance and will only continue to improve. And Ramos took out Nato the last time they wrestled. This ranks Nato 5th in America. While I could see him maybe pulling the upset on one of these guys I highly doubt he could run the gauntlet and beat the majority of them which he would have to do in order to make a world team.
That doesn't mean he should concede and retire. That would go against the wrestler/warrior mentality that NATO has.

David Taylor spent many years behind Burroughs, Dake, and Cox on the National Team ladder; does that mean he should have retired? No, he kept at it and now he is a world team member. There's no reason that NATO can't someday break through.
Old 06-17-18, 01:51 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
The only way I see NaTo retiring is if he has complications with his rehab which makes it impossible to make a full recovery. And even at that I don't think he'd ever make that decision without competing. He's one of a handful of elite competitors at his weight and all could win on any given day.
Old 06-17-18, 08:34 AM
All Region

Blast82.5 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToBe103 View Post
That doesn't mean he should concede and retire. That would go against the wrestler/warrior mentality that NATO has.

David Taylor spent many years behind Burroughs, Dake, and Cox on the National Team ladder; does that mean he should have retired? No, he kept at it and now he is a world team member. There's no reason that NATO can't someday break through.
While it is true that DT wasn't the #1 guy in the U.S., he was generally #2, at one weight or another, and that meant he was "on the team" -- top 3 guys are supported (financially) by USA Wrestling. NaTo will not be in that position. Surely he can cobble together financial support -- I'm sure there are OSU supporters who would ante up to assist his training efforts -- but it is surely an uphill battle given the list of truly world-class competitors he faces.

I wish him well, but I, too, doubt that we ever see him in the individual world championships.
Old 06-17-18, 09:09 PM
Varsity

UsedToBe103 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast82.5 View Post
While it is true that DT wasn't the #1 guy in the U.S., he was generally #2, at one weight or another, and that meant he was "on the team" -- top 3 guys are supported (financially) by USA Wrestling. NaTo will not be in that position. Surely he can cobble together financial support -- I'm sure there are OSU supporters who would ante up to assist his training efforts -- but it is surely an uphill battle given the list of truly world-class competitors he faces.

I wish him well, but I, too, doubt that we ever see him in the individual world championships.
Yes, I'm well aware that the top 3 guys on the ladder are on the US National Team. NaTo was on it last year, and the biggest reason he's not on it this year is simply because he didn't compete this spring. He may not ever make the World Team, but he has a good shot at making the National Team in 2019 and 2020. Maybe he retires after 2020 - who know's - I just thought it was silly that the other poster thought he should retire now.
Old 06-19-18, 07:29 AM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Gadson will be the answer to a trivia question in a few years. Who denied the greatest wrestler in US history from being a 4X national champ?
Old 06-19-18, 10:03 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsedToBe103 View Post

This is a terrible take. Taylor was right there with the P4P best wrestler in the World at the time in Burroughs. At this time Taylor was ranked 4th in the world. Nato is currently ranked 5th in the US and is not close to being ranked in the World rankings. Nato is a great wrestler and great person, but to compare his current situation to DT's in the past is nothing short of idiotic.
Old 06-19-18, 01:32 PM
All World

Quote:
This is a terrible take. Taylor was right there with the P4P best wrestler in the World at the time in Burroughs. At this time Taylor was ranked 4th in the world. Nato is currently ranked 5th in the US and is not close to being ranked in the World rankings. Nato is a great wrestler and great person, but to compare his current situation to DT's in the past is nothing short of idiotic.
I don't believe Taylor was ever ranked internationally until his breakout year in 2017. And NaTo was "right there" with World Silver Gilman. So I think it's not a terrible take, and rather a pretty fair one. Now, one can argue that NaTo has seen his best days and Fix and Lee are the future at 57kg for USA. I would support that thinking, but still think he's a formidable opponent for any US wrestlers for the next few years at least. He said a while back that he wanted to compete internationally for about 10 more years. He may not be the best, but when healthy he'll be close to the top few guys. And he hasn't been healthy for the last 8 months so who knows what to expect.
Old 06-19-18, 02:57 PM
All American

Divided42 is on a distinguished road
I don’t think he should retire by any means, but I’d be quite surprised if Nato ever made a world team. Never had luck versus Gilman in Free and Fix/Lee will have this spot on lock down soon, imo by the 2020 Olympics
Old 06-23-18, 07:00 PM
All World

Final X Bethlehem up right now if anyone is interested. Coon-Gwiz up now
Old 06-23-18, 07:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeefan33 View Post
Final X Bethlehem up right now if anyone is interested. Coon-Gwiz up now
Gwiz wins round 1, score 6-1
Old 06-23-18, 08:35 PM
All World

And Gwiz wins round 2 by 6-1 again
Cox beats Zillmer 5-2 & 10-0
Garret loses round 1 and wins 2 & 3 over Colon

Womenís
Hildebrant wins 2 straight
Molinaro wins 2 straight
Conder wins 2 of 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-18, 09:42 PM
All World

Quote:
And Gwiz wins round 2 by 6-1 again
Cox beats Zillmer 5-2 & 10-0
Garret loses round 1 and wins 2 & 3 over Colon

Womenís
Hildebrant wins 2 straight
Molinaro wins 2 straight
Conder wins 2 of 3

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know people dont care as much, but Hildebrandt looked great and is a medal threat.
Old 06-23-18, 11:39 PM
All World

Oh, more info people don't care about, but Jaydin Eierman is the 12th guy to qualify for an Olympic Redshirt. Others are:

Mason Manville, Nick Reenan, Spencer Lee, Mark Hall, Daton Fix, Taylor LaMont, Mitch McKee, Ryan Deakin, Zahid Valencia, Gable Steveson, and Cevion Severado.
Old 06-24-18, 08:45 AM
All Ohio

Cramer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Oh, more info people don't care about, but Jaydin Eierman is the 12th guy to qualify for an Olympic Redshirt. Others are:

Mason Manville, Nick Reenan, Spencer Lee, Mark Hall, Daton Fix, Taylor LaMont, Mitch McKee, Ryan Deakin, Zahid Valencia, Gable Steveson, and Cevion Severado.
Qualify, doesn't mean they use it correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Old 06-24-18, 08:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cramer View Post
Qualify, doesn't mean they use it correct?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
Correct. Can be used in the 2019-2020 season, those wrestlers just have the option. It's something that can be interesting when looking at lineups and eligibility.
Old 06-24-18, 09:12 AM
All World

Quote:
Correct. Can be used in the 2019-2020 season, those wrestlers just have the option. It's something that can be interesting when looking at lineups and eligibility.
I wonder how many guys will follow the "Snyder" route - that is, wrestle an NCAA match here and there, get a strong dose of international, wrestle in conference and NCAAs, and then go all in on freestyle. I think he's the first to do that but not sure. He was probably motivated by being on a team that was competing for a NCAA title. Many of those mentioned above don't have that same motivation to do both. Lee, Hall and Fix are the exceptions. Manville (PSU) is another one on the list, but I don't see him in the same category as the others I mentioned, and he may struggle getting into the PSU lineup, sitting behind Hall and Joseph. Snyder wrestled 3 matches prior to B10s and NCAAs in 2016.

Last edited by bdhof; 06-24-18 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-24-18, 10:02 AM
All World

Quote:
I wonder how many guys will follow the "Snyder" route - that is, wrestle an NCAA match here and there, get a strong dose of international, wrestle in conference and NCAAs, and then go all in on freestyle. I think he's the first to do that but not sure. He was probably motivated by being on a team that was competing for a NCAA title. Many of those mentioned above don't have that same motivation to do both. Lee, Hall and Fix are the exceptions. Manville (PSU) is another one on the list, but I don't see him in the same category as the others I mentioned, and he may struggle getting into the PSU lineup, sitting behind Hall and Joseph. Snyder wrestled 3 matches prior to B10s and NCAAs in 2016.
I've been wondering how many NCAA matches Gable Steveson wrestles too. He'll be 24 in 2024, primed to win an Olympic medal. Can't see him spending years before that wrestling against nobodies in the Big 10.