Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-07-18, 09:59 AM
All World

BIG ED is on a distinguished road
Perry Uses Five Camp Days This Week

I said a while back this is probably the best overall backfield talent as far as speed and power the Panthers have ever had. Moving Frank Sciury to QB even adds more speed. While they only return one starter on the offensive line, don’t let that deceive you. They have a couple of very good underclassmen to add to the line.
Football season begins now at Perry
By Alex Tichenor Independent sports writer
Jun 06, 2018 5:58 PM
PERRY TWP. The lights won't shine down on Perry Stadium on Friday night for two more months, but it's already high school football season for the Panthers.

Perry wasted no time getting in its de facto spring practice, taking the field this week for the first time since its first-round playoff loss to St. Ignatius in the fall.

And despite the best three-year run in school history in recent memory — Perry went 33-8 with two state-title game appearances over the past three seasons — this edition of the Panthers has plenty of work to do. With nearly 30 seniors gone from last year's nine-win squad, including most of the offensive line and four-year quarterback/defensive back Max Baker, the uncertainty entering the summer months is more palpable than recent seasons.

Still, players and coaches were eager to return to the turf as soon as possible. The OHSAA allots its schools 10 days of non-padded practice during June and July, making the first week of June extra appealing after such a long football break.

"This has been a big help," Perry head coach Keith Wakefield said. "We're one of the few schools that does it, and I can't believe all of them don't. You're allowed 10 days in June or July, so the first week in June, the kids know, don't go on vacation, we have camp. ... It's legal, so we do it."

Although teams aren't allowed to practice with full pads until August, Wakefield and his staff use these 10 practices to their full advantage.

"You can teach 85 percent of what you want to do during this week," Wakefield said. "It's a real value. We used to do it toward two-a-days more, but it was too much. We did 10 days of camp right into two-a-days and the kids were dead."

The camp practices don't differ too much from the ones in pads. Position groups still split up and run drills. The groups converge to run and learn plays. Sweat drips down the faces of players eager for the next water break. Hitting is the only thing absent.

Wakefield isn't shy about making sure his players know what they are getting into when they sign up for his old-school regime either, even in early June. He said three days into practice, four or five players already decided to not come back.

"It's different," returning starting running back Jarin Curtis said. "It's the reason we only have 50 players. [Wakefield] says it all the time, 'nobody wants to put up with (the work), but if you stay, you're going to be a champion.'"

However, despite diminished numbers, many talented returnees that include three of 2017's four top rushers — Curtis, Richard Coleman and Sha'Vea Lightner — already have embraced leadership roles.

"It might be as good of a group as I've ever had," Wakefield said of his running backs. "I've coached 48 years, so I don't know if it's ever, but I like them and they provide good leadership."

Another one of Perry's leaders will be new quarterback Frank Sciury, who wasn't sure what he was in for prior to this week.

"(These practices) helped me calm down a little bit," Sciury said. "The quarterback is this leader of the team and I was a little bit scared of that. But it's not that hard. I learned this week that I can do it."

And as for the offensive line, the staple of Wakefield's wing-T offense?

"(On the) offensive line, we're in the same boat we were in last year," Wakefield said. "We have one starter back, but yet we expect that do be a strong group because that's what we do here. We run the football."
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-18, 01:12 PM
All World

THESHADOW14 is on a distinguished road
CONGRATS to Perry Girls Softball - STATE CHAMPS... AGAIN!!!

Man, Federal League is turning into a multiple State Sports Champion

but watch out for the Crusaders this year
Old 06-07-18, 08:17 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
thanks for the post Big Ed. the Panthers will be good again, very good. fyi Way to go Perry girls softball ! State Champs !!
Old 06-08-18, 05:21 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
Big Ed - McKinley did this bout 10 years ago

always thought that if you are given these days why not front load before everyone goes to vacation, or to do it so the bulk of teaching was at beginning of summer and the rest you work on timing and review.

10 camp days or even 5 camp days before two a days SUX!!!

As big of a fan of doing it this way that I am....I am surprised more schools don't do their days this way.
Old 06-12-18, 05:00 AM
All Region

oliver hazard is on a distinguished road
What position did Frank Sciury play before switching to QB?
Old 06-12-18, 08:40 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliver hazard View Post
What position did Frank Sciury play before switching to QB?
DB/WR 6-2, 185 although he did play QB when he was in Jr high
Old 07-01-18, 03:03 PM
All World

Perry will scrimmage Boardman on Thursday 8/16 at 5 pm. This will be JV first, then varsity will each do 10 plays and then to a half of timed play with first downs.
Old 07-01-18, 07:53 PM
All World

BHSspartans13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED View Post
Perry will scrimmage Boardman on Thursday 8/16 at 5 pm. This will be JV first, then varsity will each do 10 plays and then to a half of timed play with first downs.
Finally Boardman has a good scrimmage opponent, it's been awhile. Disappointed we're not in R7 this year. This will be a scrimmage to catch.
Old 07-01-18, 09:09 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Ditto BHS13, Your boys usually hit pretty hard !
Old 07-01-18, 09:21 PM
All World

I would assume the last tune up scrimmages against Wadsworth, a very good opponent are done. Not sure who the first scrimmage will be against. It’s been Akron Buchtel the past few years, but I don’t have a confirmation it will be again this year.
Old 07-01-18, 09:57 PM
All Ohio

starkfb
Thanks for the info Ed.
Old 07-01-18, 09:59 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkfb View Post
Thanks for the info Ed.
Your welcome as always!