Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-05-18, 01:28 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51,694
Yappi will become famous soon enough
PA Announcers and walk-up songs for youth baseball?

What do you think of PA announcers and walk-up songs for youth baseball?

Is it too much, too early for the youngest youth baseball players at 8U? 10U?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 06-05-18, 01:49 PM
MY BALL MY BALL is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 01-05-17
Posts: 53
MY BALL is on a distinguished road
I am not a fan but have seen enough of it. It is pretty damn pretentious for a team to play walk-up songs when playing on the road. The young kids do love it though. I would prefer the walk-up songs over the singing and organized chanting done by teams. That glee club crap has no place in baseball.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-18, 02:06 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,694
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Those things seem to drive the focus away from the sport and more to the show. I’m not opposed, but if I heard it, I would expect to see something special out of the players. I’d prefer to see it reserved for tournament finals or all-star games (do they even have those anymore).

I know that SWOL frowns upon (but allows) walk-up music. You just won’t be the fan favorite if you did that during games, and you probably put a bullseye in the back of your team.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-05-18, 02:12 PM
Over The Hills Over The Hills is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 03-05-12
Location: FP H Section in the day
Posts: 964
Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY BALL View Post
I am not a fan but have seen enough of it. It is pretty damn pretentious for a team to play walk-up songs when playing on the road. The young kids do love it though. I would prefer the walk-up songs over the singing and organized chanting done by teams. That glee club crap has no place in baseball.

Agreed.

Itís bush league.
Period.

At your field do what you want.
But on the road or at a tournament leave the boom box in the car.

We played in tournament last year and the other guys were blaring the walk up jams.
When we asked nicely to turn it off so we could communicate with our team they took exception.

Of course they did.
What else would you expect.

Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-05-18, 03:02 PM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,735
thavoice is on a distinguished road
PA announcers?
Not a problem for games if you have someone who wants to take time to do it BUT....I am against the SIRI kind of PA announcers. Boys game had a computerized voice for it!

Really think it is pompous when I see teams bring their own stereo system and play music from the dugout for their walk up.
Bunch of primadonna entitled brats and while we are on pet peeves........HATE when teams have to call themselves ELITE. Serious? YOu need to give yourselves that moniker?
There are a few ELITE teams who are far from elite and I would even say good rec league teams would beat em.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-05-18, 03:31 PM
Gardens35 Gardens35 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-10-09
Posts: 1,946
Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Sliding mitts yet?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-05-18, 03:59 PM
thePITman thePITman is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-06-06
Location: Wayne County, Ohio
Posts: 9,424
thePITman is on a distinguished road
People really bring boomboxes to away games to play walkup music? Haha.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-05-18, 04:10 PM
Buck_98 Buck_98 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 02-09-16
Location: Tir Na Nog
Posts: 717
Buck_98 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePITman View Post
People really bring boomboxes to away games to play walkup music? Haha.
I've seen travel teams do it but I watched a varsity high school game this year where the away team brought a boom box and played walkup music and between innings.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-05-18, 04:36 PM
Hitnrun Hitnrun is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-10-11
Posts: 880
Hitnrun is on a distinguished road
Wink

What's a boom box?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-05-18, 08:44 PM
southwest1 southwest1 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-27-12
Posts: 61
southwest1 is on a distinguished road
Select/travel ball is becoming a joke. Many of the teams I am seeing are run by guys who couldn't get along with anyone in the rec leagues so they form a team and grab whatever kids they can to make a team. All about egos. Not really improving the players at all. I would prefer to see kids stay in rec leagues until at least 12 u.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-05-18, 08:56 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51,694
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1 View Post
I would prefer to see kids stay in rec leagues until at least 12 u.
Sadly, I think those days are over. There was a time in the past that the local rec league had the best opportunities because everyone worked together.

Nowadays, so few people want to volunteer and parents are willing to pay for their kids opportunities. It's a recipe for the death of the rec leagues and rise of the travel ball teams.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-06-18, 08:11 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 309
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
That and not enough games
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-09-18, 09:13 PM
southwest1 southwest1 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 09-27-12
Posts: 61
southwest1 is on a distinguished road
You mean too many games. 45-50 games at 10-12u? Kids having tommy john at 14.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-09-18, 10:51 PM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 51,694
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1 View Post
You mean too many games. 45-50 games at 10-12u? Kids having tommy john at 14.
It would be an interesting question to ask of parents whether they would do it again if their kid did not play HS baseball.

How many parents are putting the time in at young ages simply for the joy of playing at 10-12 and how many are doing it for some future potential payoff? If your kid quit at 13, was the time spent worth it or would you do it differently?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-10-18, 10:37 AM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,694
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
My kid just left his school team to play SWOL. It was his choice, but I am the one who introduced the idea to him. He chose to leave because he wanted to meet new kids and make new friends. Him leaving came at a perfect time because he was having a difficult year with his classmates. Branching out his circle of acquaintances was the right thing to do. This year, after excelling at the Silver level of play, I will take him to tryouts for some gold level teams. He will get offers, but the decision will be ultimately his. I am also making him tryout for the school again. My goal is to watch him play baseball as long as he wants to play. The difficult part is to find the balance of keeping him at a competitive level. He won’t want to play if he’s getting crushed and sitting the bench, or if he’s on a team of kids who can’t catch or throw the ball over the plate. As he grows older, he wants to play more games. Sometimes rec or school ball doesn’t offer that for him.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-10-18, 11:32 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
What do you think of PA announcers and walk-up songs for youth baseball?

Is it too much, too early for the youngest youth baseball players at 8U? 10U?
lol

The 12 yr old future AV All Stars could set it up and run it on existing equipment for regular season games, and its cool. Our rec association would probably save it for mid-season all star games and end-of-season tournament games - in which case I'd approve. Make it special.

If dads are doing this for normal games, it seems a bit over the top, imho.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-10-18, 11:34 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
My kid just left his school team to play SWOL. It was his choice, but I am the one who introduced the idea to him. He chose to leave because he wanted to meet new kids and make new friends. Him leaving came at a perfect time because he was having a difficult year with his classmates. Branching out his circle of acquaintances was the right thing to do. This year, after excelling at the Silver level of play, I will take him to tryouts for some gold level teams. He will get offers, but the decision will be ultimately his. I am also making him tryout for the school again. My goal is to watch him play baseball as long as he wants to play. The difficult part is to find the balance of keeping him at a competitive level. He wonít want to play if heís getting crushed and sitting the bench, or if heís on a team of kids who canít catch or throw the ball over the plate. As he grows older, he wants to play more games. Sometimes rec or school ball doesnít offer that for him.
Whether playing a kid "up" or taking him to a better league in his own age group, you're doing well if you challenge him.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-10-18, 11:43 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over The Hills View Post
Agreed.

It’s bush league.
Period.

At your field do what you want.
But on the road or at a tournament leave the boom box in the car.

We played in tournament last year and the other guys were blaring the walk up jams.
When we asked nicely to turn it off so we could communicate with our team they took exception.

Of course they did.
What else would you expect.

Lol


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My kid's team at 16 or 17 had one player grab a pretty kickin' little bluetooth speaker out of his car that got a nice echo in a brick dugout. Some pitcher that had just thrown goofed around with his down-loaded play list on his phone, and it was fun doing walk-ups one game. I could see that bunch even trolling each other with gag songs.

When spontaneous and unexpected, it's actually cool. If the team that they whomped got butt-hurt, they didn't show it.

If it has to be part of the routine, nah.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-10-18, 11:47 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest1 View Post
You mean too many games. 45-50 games at 10-12u? Kids having tommy john at 14.
12u, no biggie. I think you are assuming quite a lot here. How big a roster, how many pitchers ?

Are they having fun ? As long as their chores are done, I'll drive them to games all summer
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-10-18, 11:06 PM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,694
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post

Are they having fun ? As long as their chores are done, I'll drive them to games all summer
This.

I could watch my son play baseball every day of the week.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-11-18, 07:08 AM
thavoice thavoice is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-17-07
Posts: 6,735
thavoice is on a distinguished road
Here is a serious issue. There 2 and 3 day tournaments. Playing 5 to 7 games in 3 days. Been seeing 12 yo can pitch 27 outs in those days. I do not mind a 12 yo throwing 75 to 80 pitchers . . . . . In a game and then have 5 plus days off until he goes again. It is much better than throwing 65 pitchers over a weekend but pitching in 3 to 4 diedp games . Just too hard on the arms to throw a few innings. . . Then a few hours pitch a few more innings and then do it again the next day. Soon they are going to a big one in tennessee and they have .g . . . Zero pitch limits so it could get rough
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-11-18, 07:45 AM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,694
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
I don’t pay for select ball only to walk away from parenting. There are good and bad coaches. The good ones act on behalf of player safety. The bad ones pitch their son 85 pitches the first game of the year in 35 degree weather. I make sure I have good communication with my son’s coach. If the coach isn’t acting in my son’s best interest, I speak up. If that becomes an issue for the coach, then shame on the parent for not doing the homework and allowing him to play for a poor coach.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-11-18, 09:07 AM
Bugsy8875 Bugsy8875 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-16-14
Location: Lorain County
Posts: 484
Bugsy8875 is on a distinguished road
As an umpire, I like umpiring at places that play music between innings. Adds to the atmosphere. As for the walk up music. Not a fan.

PA announcers are fine if they stick to the simple things and make sure it's not about them, just give out the information that is necessary.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-11-18, 09:14 AM
USA70PP USA70PP is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-26-16
Location: West of Marion, Ohio
Posts: 850
USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
So the kid has his "walk up" music and then gets to the plate and strikes out looking. How long before the other teams start playing some "put down" music as he makes his way back to the dugout? Could make for some hard feelings.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-11-18, 05:19 PM
BASESWIMPARENT BASESWIMPARENT is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 12-21-16
Posts: 309
BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
This.

I could watch my son play baseball every day of the week.
me too
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-11-18, 06:44 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
This.

I could watch my son play baseball every day of the week.
Nothing quite like it in the world.

I loved setting up the field - we staked bags, no receivers - and then backing off in the grass to throw BP against the out of bounds fence. Hitting infield to a kid that was trying to figure it out - either way early or after the game until dark - catching in for myself with a glove on one hand hitting with a kid bat forehand in the other, all the while talking the kid up.

When mine are done playing and before I'm a grandpa, I'm likely to ask our rec director to set me up with the crappiest coach he has in the first kid pitch league. Except for the one or two bad parents inevitably on every rec team, I really miss kid ball. Mr Newbie coach can have them, and I'll pick up the kids
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-11-18, 07:02 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobcatBomber View Post
I donít pay for select ball only to walk away from parenting. There are good and bad coaches. The good ones act on behalf of player safety. The bad ones pitch their son 85 pitches the first game of the year in 35 degree weather. I make sure I have good communication with my sonís coach. If the coach isnít acting in my sonís best interest, I speak up. If that becomes an issue for the coach, then shame on the parent for not doing the homework and allowing him to play for a poor coach.
I never coached my kids' teams beyond 11u because they get enough direction from me at home, I believe that they need to hear another voice going into puberty, and I want them to speak to an adult on their own behalf. I've seldom intervened.

I was blessed in that one of my boys on an afterthought of a 12u tryout got hooked up with a stellar individual that turned out to also be a great coach. They had 6 terrific years. My youngest hasn't been so fortunate, but he has still developed very well moving around and has learned to see the game through many eyes. He's really only had one pro coach that fooled me about his own character, and one daddy coach full of empty promises. My son and I discussed issues, and he usually spoke for himself first. All-in-all, being a "baseball whore" has served him well.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-11-18, 07:04 PM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,514
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA70PP View Post
So the kid has his "walk up" music and then gets to the plate and strikes out looking. How long before the other teams start playing some "put down" music as he makes his way back to the dugout? Could make for some hard feelings.
Once that one gets going, it'll all be shut down most places
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-12-18, 06:58 AM
BobcatBomber BobcatBomber is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 12-21-05
Location: Dedicated to GB Reform
Posts: 14,694
BobcatBomber is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
I never coached my kids' teams beyond 11u because they get enough direction from me at home, I believe that they need to hear another voice going into puberty, and I want them to speak to an adult on their own behalf. I've seldom intervened.

I was blessed in that one of my boys on an afterthought of a 12u tryout got hooked up with a stellar individual that turned out to also be a great coach. They had 6 terrific years. My youngest hasn't been so fortunate, but he has still developed very well moving around and has learned to see the game through many eyes. He's really only had one pro coach that fooled me about his own character, and one daddy coach full of empty promises. My son and I discussed issues, and he usually spoke for himself first. All-in-all, being a "baseball whore" has served him well.
I agree with stepping aside. My 10yo doesnít listen to me anyway, even when I reiterate exactly what coaches tell him. But my point was I donít just turn him over blindly. We talk after every game and practice because I want to know what his coach is saying to them. I then ask him how he feels about what is being taught and we go from there. Heís 10, so thereís a bit more involvement from me which Iím sure will fade the older and more autonomous he gets.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-12-18, 03:38 PM
yakyak yakyak is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-14
Posts: 925
yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Sadly, I think those days are over. There was a time in the past that the local rec league had the best opportunities because everyone worked together.

Nowadays, so few people want to volunteer and parents are willing to pay for their kids opportunities. It's a recipe for the death of the rec leagues and rise of the travel ball teams.
Hold the phone here. I am starting to see local communities combine their rec leagues. The communities are usually 5 - 10 miles apart. These work well as you only need 2 -3 teams from each community. It fosters community, gives kids a change to compete with their friends against potential high school rivals.

There is hope yet. The downside is the competition is poor.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz