Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-05-18, 11:09 AM
All American

jbica001 is on a distinguished road
Akron Rubber Bowl coming down.

Just heard on 1590 am that the City of Akron will begin demolishing the Rubber Bowl next week. This project is funded by a state grant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-18, 11:21 AM
Venerated Poster

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
https://www.cleveland.com/akron/inde...ish_iconi.html
Old 06-05-18, 12:29 PM
All World

Egret is an unknown quantity at this point
As a Massillon fan, I don't have too many fond memories of that damn place. I do have some nightmares.

1. The numerous beatings from Ignatius both regular season and play-offs.
2. The biggest upset I've ever witnessed: Padua beating Massillon in the play-offs.
3. Willoughby South coming in and also punking us.
4. Barberton actually beating us there one time.

However, one very fond memory was sitting in the stands and watching the Rick Worstell Bulldogs punk the he!! out of Moeller in the state championship game.

All in all, good freaking riddance Rubber Bowl!! LOL.
Old 06-05-18, 01:20 PM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Great memories with Browns /Steelers,Chicago-Beach boys concert,first playoff championship game,TurkeyDay city champs and many high school playoff games.
Old 06-05-18, 01:40 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Other than the light-posts, it was a great stadium to watch a game in. Too bad someone couldn't make it work but it looked like only people who were dreamers were interested in the place.
Old 06-05-18, 01:49 PM
All District

ReadyKnightsFan is on a distinguished road
Man this is the end of an era for me.. I remember being in the student section for the last home game there. Triple OT game on ESPN against Buffalo.
Old 06-05-18, 02:03 PM
All World

Oh I did forget something I liked about it there. The bar at the bottom of the hill where Massillon people would invade about four hours before the game. Used to have a GREAT time in there.
Old 06-05-18, 02:20 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
My fondest memories there was watching Warren Western Reserve and Cardinal Mooney in the State Title, despite WWR losing...and Warren Harding defeating Upper Arlington to win the '74 Title.

Also, Harding vs. Massillon there in the playoff game where, for some unknown reason with less than a minute left, the Tigers kicked off to Mario Manningham.

Harding wins.
Old 06-05-18, 02:21 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post
My fondest memories there was watching Warren Western Reserve and Cardinal Mooney in the State Title, despite WWR losing...and Warren Harding defeating Upper Arlington to win the '74 Title.

Also, Harding vs. Massillon there in the playoff game where, for some unknown reason with less than a minute left, the Tigers kicked off to Mario Manningham.

Harding wins.
Thank God I missed that one. Might have climbed to the top and jumped.
Old 06-05-18, 02:36 PM
All World

ChronicTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio View Post

Harding wins.
I feel like Massillon should have run some clock at the end and kicked a FG to win....leaving no time on clock. I can't remember the exact circumstances but IIRC Massillon could have won and avoided having to kick off.
Old 06-05-18, 03:07 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Other than the light-posts, it was a great stadium to watch a game in. Too bad someone couldn't make it work but it looked like only people who were dreamers were interested in the place.
Many great memories in the place and the perfect size for big HS FB games. Along with the light posts there were a couple other issues with the place logistically:

1) The orientation of the field so that the open end of a horseshoe shaped bowl faced the NW was not very smart. Cold autumn winds come out of the NW and swirl around in the bowl design, HS QBs and kickers would struggle with this all the time.

2) Traffic flow was horrible with basically just one way in and out for the big games with out of town fan bases coming in via 224.

3) One of the first places to get astro turf in Ohio, basically it was a thin layer of carpet over concrete. It really favored those programs with great team speed.
Old 06-05-18, 03:48 PM
All Ohio

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
The 05’ Tiger semi final game against St Ed’s !!!
Old 06-05-18, 04:20 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
My favorite games at the Rubber Bowl

1) 1976 Akron U run to the Division II National Championship game by beating UNLV and N. Michigan at the Rubber Bowl

2) Barbertonís two victories over Massillon, 9-7 in 1977 & 26-24 in 1982

3J Any of the old Turkey Bowl (City Series Championship) games
Old 06-05-18, 04:59 PM
All Ohio

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesports View Post
My favorite games at the Rubber Bowl

1) 1976 Akron U run to the Division II National Championship game by beating UNLV and N. Michigan at the Rubber Bowl

2) Barbertonís two victories over Massillon, 9-7 in 1977 & 26-24 in 1982

3J Any of the old Turkey Bowl (City Series Championship) games
The 26-24 loss to Barberton was in 81í, the 82 Tigers only loss was to Moeller in the title game.
Old 06-05-18, 05:01 PM
All World

firewatch is on a distinguished road
Played my last 2 high school football games in the Rubber Bowl Ď89 Regional Title Win over Garfield and the following week, A State Semifinals loss to IGGY.. saw a lot of great games over the years in that bowl.
Old 06-05-18, 05:26 PM
All World

Oh my GAWD I don't know how I could have forgotten this one. My very first Massillon game was at the Rubber Bowl and yes, it was the classic game against Niles in 1964. Traffic up Wales Road was bumper to bumper. Didn't get inside until the middle of the first quarter. Never forget that one. Geesh.
Old 06-05-18, 05:43 PM
All World

kingpin2010 is on a distinguished road
Legendary venue in Ohio high school football lore, but this is long overdue. Anyone that's driven past it in the last few years has seen the eye sore its become.
Old 06-05-18, 05:45 PM
All Ohio

Scipio is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronicTiger View Post
I feel like Massillon should have run some clock at the end and kicked a FG to win....leaving no time on clock. I can't remember the exact circumstances but IIRC Massillon could have won and avoided having to kick off.
You know Chronic, my memory is not what it used to be either. I may be mixing a couple different classic games around that time. I did a search and the game I read did not match what I remembered happening. Although huge, the return looks like it allowed the game to go to overtime. Still, I remember being confused as to why they kicked it to him. It seemed like machismo by Shepas at the time.

https://massillontigers.com/2002/11/...en-harding-21/
Old 06-05-18, 05:52 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
I think the Dallas Texans played their 2nd to last game of their existence there vs the Chicago Bears. Only game the Texans won that season.
Old 06-05-18, 05:53 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
I think the Dallas Texans played their last game of their existence there vs the Chicago Bears. Only game the Texans won that season.

have to check on it
WHOA. Really? Never heard that one.
Old 06-05-18, 06:01 PM
All Ohio

OBIE-WON is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by firewatch View Post
Played my last 2 high school football games in the Rubber Bowl ‘89 Regional Title Win over Garfield and the following week, A State Semifinals loss to IGGY.. saw a lot of great games over the years in that bowl.
I have the 1989 “We’re Back” video. Nice highlight video of the season including the Rubber Bowl games.
Old 06-05-18, 06:09 PM
All Ohio

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
True story Egret - I remember hearing it on a story I think of Tex Schram

either way it was an old NFL film back in days when that is all we had LOL.

The franchise was handed back to league if I remember correctly and they played them on the road at rubber bowl and I think in Detroit vs the lions the next week.

The game at the rubber bowl was a Turkey day game and there was something about more people there for a high school football game either before or after.
Old 06-05-18, 07:23 PM
All Yappi

Mackinbiner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football 101 View Post
True story Egret - I remember hearing it on a story I think of Tex Schram

either way it was an old NFL film back in days when that is all we had LOL.

The franchise was handed back to league if I remember correctly and they played them on the road at rubber bowl and I think in Detroit vs the lions the next week.

The game at the rubber bowl was a Turkey day game and there was something about more people there for a high school football game either before or after.
Depending on which web site you want to believe, the Thanksgiving Day game between the Texans and Bears drew either 2500 or 3000 people.

The Texans played just two more games after that, both on the road, losing to the Eagles and finishing up with a loss to the Lions.
Old 06-05-18, 08:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinbiner View Post
Depending on which web site you want to believe, the Thanksgiving Day game between the Texans and Bears drew either 2500 or 3000 people.

The Texans played just two more games after that, both on the road, losing to the Eagles and finishing up with a loss to the Lions.
Between us and St. Ignatius, I think we had more people in the bar I was talking about before a play-off game. LOL.
Old 06-05-18, 09:34 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Besides a lot of HS football, I'll always remember the Acme Zip games there. Plus some great concerts. Saw Petty/Dylan/ Grateful Dead in '85. And my first concert, Jefferson Airplane back around '72.
Old 06-05-18, 10:28 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
It's a storied venue, and it's a shame it's fallen into such disrepair and blight. Very similar to what happened with Tiger Stadium. Never torn down for the longest time. Instead, it just sat and rotted away from the inside. To the point it became a safety hazard and any hope to save it, even a part of it, was gone.

Anyone know the last HS game to be played at the Rubber Bowl?
Old 06-06-18, 06:02 AM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykotyk View Post
It's a storied venue, and it's a shame it's fallen into such disrepair and blight. Very similar to what happened with Tiger Stadium. Never torn down for the longest time. Instead, it just sat and rotted away from the inside. To the point it became a safety hazard and any hope to save it, even a part of it, was gone.

Anyone know the last HS game to be played at the Rubber Bowl?
In what was possibly the last prep game to be played at the venue.....the final Akron City Series Championship Game to be held in the Rubber Bowl was played on October 24, 2008. The game resulted in a 49-20 victory for Garfield over Buchtel.
Old 06-06-18, 10:22 AM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Many wonderful memories of great games at the Rubber Bowl. That being said, on its best day the Rubber Bowl was an absolute dump. From the fiberglass bleachers to the urinal troughs to the tight walkway at the northeast corner of the stadium...

The idea of Fred Biletnikoff's kid to resurrect it for some minor league football team was a pipe dream. I can't believe anyone fell for it.
Old 06-06-18, 10:36 AM
All World

jmog is on a distinguished road
Grew up going to the City Series Turkey Day games with my dad and uncle (they graduated from Ellet).

It was also our "practice field of choice" once the playoffs hit and we were going to play on turf that weekend while I was at Mogadore.

If the weather was really bad we would practice at Kent State's indoor facility instead.
Old 06-06-18, 11:30 AM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
Many wonderful memories of great games at the Rubber Bowl. That being said, on its best day the Rubber Bowl was an absolute dump. From the fiberglass bleachers to the urinal troughs to the tight walkway at the northeast corner of the stadium...

The idea of Fred Biletnikoff's kid to resurrect it for some minor league football team was a pipe dream. I can't believe anyone fell for it.
Yeah, it was a dump. But you gotta remember it was a WPA project; as was Derby Downs and Good Park Golf Course, if I recall correctly. But Akron U certainly could have upgraded it! It was SO bad that Akron U wouldn't even take its football recruits there on campus visits. The UA staff would give the recruits a drive-by but wouldn't stop to let them see what a dump it actually had become.