Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-12-18, 11:55 AM
All District

MINFAN is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_98 View Post
Yes it is. We have conditioning, open gyms, and hitting league starting after the no contact period. Because the majority of our coaches have 8-5pm jobs we don't start anything until 4pm and noting goes longer than 1.5 hrs. This is every day (if they show up) except Wednesday and Sunday. After football is over our catchers will start working out (open gym) with any pitcher that doesn't have a private coach. Then the season starts and out practices could go to 9pm if we have freshmen, JV, and varsity teams. That is just for the assistant coaches. Take that and add all the other administrative junk that a head coach deals with and it makes for a lot of missed family time. Our head coach also administers the junior high teams and the summer high school team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-18, 12:01 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post

Thatís sounds like a coach that wants kids to be successful!! Attention new Minerva ADó read this when hiring a new coach- 20 Minute indoor hitting sessions and 1 bulllpen session per year for the pitchers is not normaló see above!!

Old 06-12-18, 01:39 PM
Freshman

Simonsez is on a distinguished road
Anyone hearing about front runner for Hoover job?

With as much talk about MInerva's field there must be a lot of candidates willing to take the job?
Old 06-12-18, 02:44 PM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonsez View Post
Anyone hearing about front runner for Hoover job?

With as much talk about MInerva's field there must be a lot of candidates willing to take the job?
I hope so Siimonsez.. It's my understanding that there is some young talent and a couple kids that may come back out with a coaching change. But it will be a big time rebuilding year. Getting a coach in sooner rather than later and start developing pitching in the off season is crucial, especially since there was very little development during the season (12 JV Games!!) . The problem is most of players are all multi-sport athletes so it will be hard to get them working in the off season. The sign of a great coach is he leaves the program in better shape then when he got it.. Not many think that happened. We in Minerva just hope the new AD and manager take it more serious..
Old 06-12-18, 06:23 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
I don't know that our school has quite that robust a program. But it does sound pretty strong. I know that our team did not have a hitting league (although Moe does). I would love it if we had that pitching and catching thing going on because I believe in pitching lessons but also believe in pitching practice. Anyway, seem like a lot of work for a very short season
Old 06-12-18, 08:44 PM
Freshman

Truck Yeah is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBC 1988 View Post
I hope so Siimonsez.. It's my understanding that there is some young talent and a couple kids that may come back out with a coaching change. But it will be a big time rebuilding year. Getting a coach in sooner rather than later and start developing pitching in the off season is crucial, especially since there was very little development during the season (12 JV Games!!) . The problem is most of players are all multi-sport athletes so it will be hard to get them working in the off season. The sign of a great coach is he leaves the program in better shape then when he got it.. Not many think that happened. We in Minerva just hope the new AD and manager take it more serious..
Outsider observation. This thread is intriguing, so I started checking previous posts by you guys. 1988, my take on you is that you know exactly what is going on at Minerva and probably have 1 or 2 kids in the system but donít want to admit it on Yappi. The coaches donít know as much as you and they donít know how to use your kids in football or baseball. Disciplinary issues, lack of a talent or knowledge of a position? You will tell me Iím crazy, but I think Iím spot on. Like I said, weíll take him back! Be careful what you wish for!!
Old 06-12-18, 08:58 PM
All American

Gardens35 is on a distinguished road
Canfield.
Old 06-13-18, 01:03 AM
All Region

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
Any word on the Marysville and Upper Arlington job's
Old 06-13-18, 01:19 AM
All Region

KINGOFTHEJUNGLE is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Yeah View Post
Outsider observation. This thread is intriguing, so I started checking previous posts by you guys. 1988, my take on you is that you know exactly what is going on at Minerva and probably have 1 or 2 kids in the system but donít want to admit it on Yappi. The coaches donít know as much as you and they donít know how to use your kids in football or baseball. Disciplinary issues, lack of a talent or knowledge of a position? You will tell me Iím crazy, but I think Iím spot on. Like I said, weíll take him back! Be careful what you wish for!!

With all do respect Truck, you can have him. I've never made any bones about who I am on here nor have I ever tried to hide behind my handle name. This is what I know about our ex coach, he's is a top notch fella off the baseball diamond who would do anything for his players or players parents and I also loved the discipline that he instilled which was desperately needed. I have zero beef with him off the field, the guy is first class and as good as they come. Now, for the folks that are the sentimental type and are of the ilk of getting your feelings hurt rather easy, you might want to stop reading my post right about now. My comments aren't going to be as reserved as 88's and minifans were. Coach had no fire in his gut to be a baseball coach any longer. This isn't opinion either, this is fact. Coach was here for four years and during those four years he left about twenty games unplayed. Spare me the gibberish about being short on arms, problems with late season rescheduling, or how it was the Ad's fault. We had one of the top athletic directors in the state and it wasn't like our baseball coach was running to him trying to get games scheduled or rescheduled and he was saying heck no. Every year at the preseason parent meeting when our 20 game schedule was handed out, he would always proclaim not to worry because that schedule would get filled out. Meanwhile, everyone knew there was no chance of it happening. This community spent half a million dollars turfing this field so excuse me if I can't come to grips with our boys not playing a third of their season or our jv boys not even playing half of their allotted game. Heck, Canton South had a baseball field built on a river and they still managed to get close to maxing out their baseball schedule. I guess I am just having trouble understanding how the out of town "experts" on Minerva baseball don't see that it is a little weird that the only team in the conference with a turf field played the least amount of games. My son and the rest of the seniors will never pick up a bat again so it really stings knowing that they got screwed out of almost an entire season of non played games over four years. Now lets talk about practice or should I say the lack there of. Last year coach cancelled 15 practices and this year he cancelled 14. That equates to a half of a month during the baseball season that our kids didn't even go to the ball park. After our AD got word that on a beautiful sunny 72 degree Friday afternoon that practice was cancelled yet again something was finally said to coach. Then on the days where we did practice, it was the varsity and jv split into 5 or so groups to come in to hit inside our hitting facility with each session about 20 minutes in length. Only six times this year did we hit outside on the field and 99% of all of our practices the kids were home by 4:15/4:30. We always practiced hitting but for some bizarre reason we NEVER practiced pitching. You can't build up arm strength, much less be sharp with mechanics, when you only throw on your starts. Heck, the kid that pitched our finale hadn't been on a pitching mound since his last start which was a month prior to that. Another thing was that he had zero involvement with our youth program except for the one day a year he held a youth camp at the field. He was never down at our youth fields during the week or weekends. Then I guess the topper for me was on senior night. We had one senior that hadn't played an inning in the field all year long and this kid was at every off season practice, open cages, weightlifting....... Just a super kid he was. At Minerva, it has always been our practice that ALL seniors play the field that day. It was this young man's last time to play on that field and he didn't get one inning. That my friends is a joke. I just hope that the good folks that get paid the big bucks to do the hiring and firing here at the school have learned their lesson when it comes to picking a coach who isn't invested in the community. If they don't live in the district or spouse works in the district or kids don't attend the district, it is to easy to be lazy or just flat out not hang around very long. We should have learned that lesson 5 years ago when we hired a Perry coach and resident that was applying for the Hoover gig after his second year with us but for some reason we went down that same rabbit hole once again with the baseball program. Sorry for the length of this post but I felt it necessary to inform the "experts" outside of our town and program that you ain't got a clue about what the heck you are saying.
Old 06-13-18, 02:03 AM
All District

Red Right 88 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGOFTHEJUNGLE View Post
With all do respect Truck, you can have him. I've never made any bones about who I am on here nor have I ever tried to hide behind my handle name. This is what I know about our ex coach, he's is a top notch fella off the baseball diamond who would do anything for his players or players parents and I also loved the discipline that he instilled which was desperately needed. I have zero beef with him off the field, the guy is first class and as good as they come. Now, for the folks that are the sentimental type and are of the ilk of getting your feelings hurt rather easy, you might want to stop reading my post right about now. My comments aren't going to be as reserved as 88's and minifans were. Coach had no fire in his gut to be a baseball coach any longer. This isn't opinion either, this is fact. Coach was here for four years and during those four years he left about twenty games unplayed. Spare me the gibberish about being short on arms, problems with late season rescheduling, or how it was the Ad's fault. We had one of the top athletic directors in the state and it wasn't like our baseball coach was running to him trying to get games scheduled or rescheduled and he was saying heck no. Every year at the preseason parent meeting when our 20 game schedule was handed out, he would always proclaim not to worry because that schedule would get filled out. Meanwhile, everyone knew there was no chance of it happening. This community spent half a million dollars turfing this field so excuse me if I can't come to grips with our boys not playing a third of their season or our jv boys not even playing half of their allotted game. Heck, Canton South had a baseball field built on a river and they still managed to get close to maxing out their baseball schedule. I guess I am just having trouble understanding how the out of town "experts" on Minerva baseball don't see that it is a little weird that the only team in the conference with a turf field played the least amount of games. My son and the rest of the seniors will never pick up a bat again so it really stings knowing that they got screwed out of almost an entire season of non played games over four years. Now lets talk about practice or should I say the lack there of. Last year coach cancelled 15 practices and this year he cancelled 14. That equates to a half of a month during the baseball season that our kids didn't even go to the ball park. After our AD got word that on a beautiful sunny 72 degree Friday afternoon that practice was cancelled yet again something was finally said to coach. Then on the days where we did practice, it was the varsity and jv split into 5 or so groups to come in to hit inside our hitting facility with each session about 20 minutes in length. Only six times this year did we hit outside on the field and 99% of all of our practices the kids were home by 4:15/4:30. We always practiced hitting but for some bizarre reason we NEVER practiced pitching. You can't build up arm strength, much less be sharp with mechanics, when you only throw on your starts. Heck, the kid that pitched our finale hadn't been on a pitching mound since his last start which was a month prior to that. Another thing was that he had zero involvement with our youth program except for the one day a year he held a youth camp at the field. He was never down at our youth fields during the week or weekends. Then I guess the topper for me was on senior night. We had one senior that hadn't played an inning in the field all year long and this kid was at every off season practice, open cages, weightlifting....... Just a super kid he was. At Minerva, it has always been our practice that ALL seniors play the field that day. It was this young man's last time to play on that field and he didn't get one inning. That my friends is a joke. I just hope that the good folks that get paid the big bucks to do the hiring and firing here at the school have learned their lesson when it comes to picking a coach who isn't invested in the community. If they don't live in the district or spouse works in the district or kids don't attend the district, it is to easy to be lazy or just flat out not hang around very long. We should have learned that lesson 5 years ago when we hired a Perry coach and resident that was applying for the Hoover gig after his second year with us but for some reason we went down that same rabbit hole once again with the baseball program. Sorry for the length of this post but I felt it necessary to inform the "experts" outside of our town and program that you ain't got a clue about what the heck you are saying.
RB never wanted the job to begin with, DS begged him to take it after hearing "no" multiple times. Surprised the experiment lasted four years.

His heart was at Canton South & McCall's. The final straw occurred when he had to take back and manage McCall's early this year after selling it last year. There was no time for baseball when there's a bar that needs run and an endless supply of beer that needs consumed.

His coaching stipend was the same whether you played 16 games or 27; practiced 6 days a week or 6 days a month.
Old 06-13-18, 12:58 PM
All District

satoshi node is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You obviously are either a family member or know nothing about our program. "Too tough on my kid" is the typical non imformed comment to make.
I know enough about the program to know where it was at before Bourquin and where it will head after him....not relevant. Not a family member either but have seen you whine on here about the great people that are in charge of Minerva athletics for the last couple of years.

So since you did not answer my question, yes I guess he was just too tough on your son for your liking, probably not his. Your son was a good athlete and a great representative for Minerva the last 4 years...its a shame you were not.
Old 06-13-18, 01:48 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoshi node View Post
I know enough about the program to know where it was at before Bourquin and where it will head after him....not relevant. Not a family member either but have seen you whine on here about the great people that are in charge of Minerva athletics for the last couple of years.

So since you did not answer my question, yes I guess he was just too tough on your son for your liking, probably not his. Your son was a good athlete and a great representative for Minerva the last 4 years...its a shame you were not.
I understand where you are coming from Node, I was really angry at the world too when I found out Santa Clause wasn't real. Thank you for the tough love and for setting me straight.
You hit the nail right on the head, this is all from him being to tough on my son. Don't know how the heck you diagnosed me so quickly and with such pin point accuracy but I am grateful pal. So since you know who I am, let's have your identity big guy that way maybe I can strive to be more like you. You know what, on second thought, I'll pass. You don't even have the knads to come on here with enough intellect and maturity to engage in mature dialogue without throwing personal insults around. Whenever you're ready, my "whiny' tail will be more than willing to have a big boy conversation with you. Just goes to show that you don't have to be in the circus to be a clown.
Old 06-13-18, 02:33 PM
All District

Quote:
I understand where you are coming from Node, I was really angry at the world too when I found out Santa Clause wasn't real. Thank you for the tough love and for setting me straight.

You hit the nail right on the head, this is all from him being to tough on my son. Don't know how the heck you diagnosed me so quickly and with such pin point accuracy but I am grateful pal. So since you know who I am, let's have your identity big guy that way maybe I can strive to be more like you. You know what, on second thought, I'll pass. You don't even have the knads to come on here with enough intellect and maturity to engage in mature dialogue without throwing personal insults around. Whenever you're ready, my "whiny' tail will be more than willing to have a big boy conversation with you. Just goes to show that you don't have to be in the circus to be a clown.

I am guessing they could bring in Earl Weaver and struggle next year- so not being relevant will be a direct correlation to the lack of development of the younger guys this year- that and the fact that they are losing 5 pretty good seniors who will be replaced mostly with this yearís freshmen - who played in 12 games!! You can have every take you want and and spin it anyway you want, for those of us close to the program- 2018 was a very disappointing season. I donít think there is any hatred towards Bourquin - in fact I know the kids really like him and respect him- he is a positive role model and there is no disputing that. But the community really did excellent job raising funds to build a great facility and deserve a leader thatís 100% committed to the program and to the kids - we have that in wrestling, basketball and football- now that the legend has stepped down we someone in for the long haul -

Old 06-13-18, 03:07 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINFAN View Post
I am guessing they could bring in Earl Weaver and struggle next year- so not being relevant will be a direct correlation to the lack of development of the younger guys this year- that and the fact that they are losing 5 pretty good seniors who will be replaced mostly with this yearís freshmen - who played in 12 games!! You can have every take you want and and spin it anyway you want, for those of us close to the program- 2018 was a very disappointing season. I donít think there is any hatred towards Bourquin - in fact I know the kids really like him and respect him- he is a positive role model and there is no disputing that. But the community really did excellent job raising funds to build a great facility and deserve a leader thatís 100% committed to the program and to the kids - we have that in wrestling, basketball and football- now that the legend has stepped down we someone in for the long haul -

Don't be so "whiny" minifan.
Old 06-13-18, 04:09 PM
All District

satoshi node is on a distinguished road
Thanks for making it easy to win my case kingdofthejungle. I'm sorry to hit a sore spot with you. My point is Minerva just had the best 4 year run in baseball in a very long time and you guys are acting like bourquin had nothing to do with it. When there is success at Minerva it's always because of the kids and when there is not success it's always on the coaches. I hope the next baseball coach is everything you hope for and when Minerva is at the bottom of the league again I am sure it will all be his fault too. Good luck and god bless America!
Old 06-13-18, 06:21 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by satoshi node View Post
Thanks for making it easy to win my case kingdofthejungle. I'm sorry to hit a sore spot with you. My point is Minerva just had the best 4 year run in baseball in a very long time and you guys are acting like bourquin had nothing to do with it. When there is success at Minerva it's always because of the kids and when there is not success it's always on the coaches. I hope the next baseball coach is everything you hope for and when Minerva is at the bottom of the league again I am sure it will all be his fault too. Good luck and god bless America!
You are welcome Node,but please don't thank me. It's I that needs to thank you for the very appropriate and long overdue stupid slap that you have given us Minerva morons and for setting us straight. I was always in fear that know it alls like yourself went extinct along with the dinosaurs but this chat with you has not only provided me with crucial knowledge of Minerva athletics but also has reaffirmed that know it alls aren't extinct, they are alive and kicking and as I thought in this case, nameless.
Old 06-14-18, 07:29 AM
All District

NBC 1988 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Outsider observation. This thread is intriguing, so I started checking previous posts by you guys. 1988, my take on you is that you know exactly what is going on at Minerva and probably have 1 or 2 kids in the system but don’t want to admit it on Yappi. The coaches don’t know as much as you and they don’t know how to use your kids in football or baseball. Disciplinary issues, lack of a talent or knowledge of a position? You will tell me I’m crazy, but I think I’m spot on. Like I said, we’ll take him back! Be careful what you wish for!!
Calm down Truck Yeah! This is not a debate just opinions. You obviously know coach Bourquin whether you are a friend, family member or ex-player. By all means this in not a personal attack on Rocky Bourquin. You are half right with your take (not that it matters). I am pretty close to a lot of the Minerva sports programs. Although I don't have kids on the team, I have many close friends that do so I am more than a casual observer so I will even give you that. I will also give credit where credit is due. In MY OPINION I thought Rocky Bourquin was an excellent game day coach. When he walked on the field you got the sense that he expected to win every game. I think the kids took his lead and then won more than they lost. That is something that they didn't have 5 years ago. I stood down the 3rd base line when I attended games and really liked how coached. He was so encouraging to the kids and the kids seemed to genuinely like and respect him. He did put together and pretty good 4 year run at Minerva, probably the best ever (see I agree again!!). That's impressive because for whatever reason Minerva has never been a baseball school. So kudos to Rocky Bourquin for that. However, the preparation and commitment to the program is want most people are disappointed in especially in 2018. I know he has some problems outside of baseball but is that the kids fault? Don't 15, 16 17 and 18 year old kids deserve a coach fully committed to them? I personally would not have been upset if he would have stayed on but I think it's time for a change, not just with him but an complete overhaul. I think the new AD needs to look a the program and actually give a darn about it. Our coaching staff consisted of a 57 year old business owner, a 70 year old retired coach, a teacher who's son was our superstar, a retiring maintenance man and teacher from another school district. They also had a student teacher helping. I was told that our original schedule only had 20 out of the allotted 27 games, why?. Rocky Bourquin came to a school that the administration really doesn't care about baseball and, even though he had a good run, they still done care. You are probably right, they very well could be at the bottom on the new NBC (EBC now I guess) next year. The question, will that be because he is not coaching or because he and his staff didn't develop anyone? With mostly multi-sport athletes they will not touch a bat, ball and glove until February 2019. Good luck to the new coach, you are going to need it!!

Last edited by NBC 1988; 06-14-18 at 07:41 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 10:03 PM
Freshman

Truck Yeah is on a distinguished road
Any news down your way King, 88, MINFAN?
Old 06-22-18, 09:23 AM
Freshman

goblue44688 is on a distinguished road
I heard Greg Travis is the new HC at Minerva. He was assistant at Sandy Valley last season and I believe, works with the Terriers program.
Old 06-22-18, 04:53 PM
All Region

LW has named a new coach.
Old 06-24-18, 05:59 PM
All District

Head Coaching job open

Quote:
Any news down your way King, 88, MINFAN?

I heard they hired someone but donít know who.. I do like the quick turn around though

Old 06-27-18, 02:00 PM
All American

MitSulHer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iroquois View Post
Any word on the Marysville and Upper Arlington job's
Upper Arlington coach took the Olentangy Orange job. Have not heard who the new UA coach is.
Old 06-27-18, 03:45 PM
Junior Varsity

LaneDixon is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapope View Post
no teaches at loveland, i believe he resigned to spend more time with family. I doubt he will be interested in any job.
ad

Last edited by LaneDixon; 07-02-18 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-27-18, 07:14 PM
All Region

I must say that I think the Lakota West AD "hit a homerun" with the baseball hire. it was creative and focused. He did a great job
Old 07-07-18, 06:25 PM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Matt Miller has named the head coach at Massillon Perry, at a recent board of education meeting.