Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-06-18, 11:19 PM
All World

Sykotyk will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerdrill View Post
There is really no way around it. They take the top 10% out and make them D1. Then they take the rest and divide them into the 6 other divisions. You only have to be better than 107 other schools. I believe that is the fewest number of teams per division, when compared to other team sports.
Some states have decided not to have even or preset numbers for divisions and just use enrollment cutoffs for classes. The problem, is that those states won't have equal playoffs with all games finishing on the same weekend.

For instance, if OHSAA did:

D1: 1000+
D2: 800-999
D3: 600-799
D4: 400-599
D5: 300-399
D6: 150-299
D7: 0-149

You'd wind up with teams being slotted with teams 'closer' to their enrollment numbers, but the divisions would be so drastically different in size that you couldn't have the same number of playoff rounds and the final round would be spread out over several weeks. Some states do that. But you don't really see it around this region of the country much. Closest would be Michigan having 8-man finish a week before their 11-man titles. And that's specifically because there's a hard enrollment cutoff for 8-man. Something many states have with 6, 8 or 9 man football. But some states do it for all classes.
Old 06-07-18, 05:12 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Dover adds toughness to R7, and will be plenty competitive with the schools in that region, perhaps one of the best teams.
Old 06-07-18, 05:28 AM
All Yappi

MentorGrad2002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to MentorGrad2002
Region 1 gets even deeper adding Brunswick and region 2 is still very shallow. The stark county schools being in region 2 in the old d1 made it a little more fair. The disparity is huge between the regions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-18, 06:37 AM
All Universe

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
Looking at the map, though, it appears it's a pretty good split. My expectation is they continue to not consider team strength and only consider geography.
Old 06-07-18, 06:37 AM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
A team that has won a total of 10 games the last 3 seasons adds depth to Region 1. Interesting take.
Old 06-07-18, 06:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KramericaIndustries View Post
A team that has won a total of 10 games the last 3 seasons adds depth to Region 1. Interesting take.

They've had tough times in the last couple of years, but they have a pedigree , city and numbers to rebuild it

I'm not looking at a few years. I'm looking at overall program.

Of course region 2 will have a handful of good teams each year. There's 18 teams. Has to happen. A few could be great each year.

But they don't have the overall strength of Region 1. The disparity is huge. And they have no program near Eds or ignstius overall or even us

Old 06-07-18, 08:29 AM
All Region

Rangerfan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie View Post
According to the published OHSAA regional maps, the enrollment numbers for D-2 are 403-607. Yet, some schools listed in D-2 exceed those figures?? Am I missing something?
I imagine you are missing the competitive balance adjustments.
Old 06-07-18, 09:35 AM
All Yappi

Maxie can only hope to improve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerfan View Post
I imagine you are missing the competitive balance adjustments.

The competitive balance adjustments are included.
Old 06-07-18, 01:14 PM
All Region

IcyCoolDevil is on a distinguished road
Quote:
The competitive balance adjustments are included.
It is clearly an error on the maps. Please send the OHSAA a note and have them fix it.
Old 06-07-18, 02:34 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
I agree that Mentor Ed's and Iggy are very strong and make Region 1 very formidable no question. But I have to disagree that the depth is a vast as you say MG.

Again the top three programs ? Records speak for themselves, but after that? I don't think that teams say from the 4th strongest through the 10th is skewed heavily at al towards R-1 . Stronger region, but it's not the depth that makes it so , it's the top few programs that does it your home team obviously included .
Old 06-07-18, 02:38 PM
All World

Now it must be said that some years are different than others, and that Regions strength fluctuates a bit from year to year. I am on record as saying that R-2 was 4th in the power rankings out of 4 , but I don't think there is a bad region in D-1. and some years the top couple R-2 teams will be able to play with most teams in the state .
Old 06-07-18, 08:19 PM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentorGrad2002 View Post
They've had tough times in the last couple of years, but they have a pedigree , city and numbers to rebuild it

I'm not looking at a few years. I'm looking at overall program.

Of course region 2 will have a handful of good teams each year. There's 18 teams. Has to happen. A few could be great each year.

But they don't have the overall strength of Region 1. The disparity is huge. And they have no program near Eds or ignstius overall or even us

You seem to be infected with the same disease Darby fans have where they weight their playoff runs from 8-10 years ago as a factor in how good this year's or next year's team might be.

The ability of this year's team has everything to do with what has been going on the last 3 years and absolutely nothing to do with what happened 6, 8, 10 years ago. Factors like coaching changes or a once-a-decade player can cause radical swings and exceptions to this rule, but in general, the most recent seasons set the trend for what the current state of the program is.

The assertion that Brunswick adds depth to Region 1 this year is laughable. If you were saying, maybe they will add depth at some point in the future due to the "heritage" of the program, well I guess that might at least be a more reasonable (but still extremely speculative) statement, but with as often as OHSAA seems to be shuffling these teams around that are close to boundary lines, by the time they might potentially be good again they may not even be in region 1 anymore.

It doesn't take much for a public school program to enter a lull and stay in it for an extended period. Maybe Brunswicks return to .500 last year was a signal that they are trending up. But until they stop doing things like losing 62-0 to Mentor, they are not adding any strength to the region by winning a few games against tomato cans.
Old 06-07-18, 09:34 PM
All Yappi

The depth is Region 1 is definitely better than Region 2. The top teams are definitely far superior to any in region 2. It's not close. Region 2 is going to be the weakest every year in d1 when you look at overall regions.

Old 06-08-18, 03:39 AM
All World

I don' tthink there is evidence that Euclid Stow , Solon Canton McKinley et al are definitely year in and year out better than Region 2 teams. Depth isn't a huge advantage there so we will have to agree to disagree. There are some years in the last 5 Mentor wouldn't have won region 2 , so this far superior thing may be not an every year thing . Ed's and iggy ? yes Mentor while a great program isn't a juggernaut every year and wouldn't mop the floor with most of Region 2 which is what you are saying they would do being FAR superior ?

NO disrespect intended, but you are basically saying that Mentor wins R-2 every year or almost every year if they were there . My opinion is they wouldn't be FAR superior. No response required I know you think they would kick azz every year .
Old 06-08-18, 06:43 AM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
According to the published OHSAA regional maps, the enrollment numbers for D-2 are 403-607. Yet, some schools listed in D-2 exceed those figures?? Am I missing something?
The ADJUSTED enrollment figures for D1[top 72 schools] is 619+; so D2 would be less than that
Old 06-08-18, 07:21 AM
All Yappi

OHSAA 2018 Regions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
I don' tthink there is evidence that Euclid Stow , Solon Canton McKinley et al are definitely year in and year out better than Region 2 teams. Depth isn't a huge advantage there so we will have to agree to disagree. There are some years in the last 5 Mentor wouldn't have won region 2 , so this far superior thing may be not an every year thing . Ed's and iggy ? yes Mentor while a great program isn't a juggernaut every year and wouldn't mop the floor with most of Region 2 which is what you are saying they would do being FAR superior ?

NO disrespect intended, but you are basically saying that Mentor wins R-2 every year or almost every year if they were there . My opinion is they wouldn't be FAR superior. No response required I know you think they would kick azz every year .

This is where you don't get it

You compare our 4th or 5th best teams vs your regions top teams... then say there isn't much difference...

I'd say a 4th or 5th best team in region 1 could beat the top teams in region 2 many years. I think Eds and ignatius would win Region 2 , 9 out of 10 years

No I don't think mentor would win it every year. You are talking 1 closed enrollment public school vs 18 schools over the years. Of course mentor by itself won't be better than all 18 every year. I do think mentor would win Region 2 more than every other team in that region. And they'd win it quite a bit

The top teams are definitely better in region 1. Who even are the top programs in region 2? I see it being topsy turvy most years til they get beat by Region 1 in the final 4

If you don't agree fine ... I think there are good programs like your school. I just don't think it's close at all in strength