Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-30-18, 03:52 PM
All American

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Perrysburg D-1 District Rankings (Off-Season #1)

These initial off-season rankings will have the wrestlers ranked at the weights that they competed at last season. Iíll start moving wrestlers around as the off-season progresses, but for now, everyone is listed at last yearís weight.

The team rankings are also based off of the returning wrestlers and do not yet include the incoming freshmen.
I paired the freshmen with the school that they were listed at on the Yappi thread about middle school state placers. If there was more than one possible school listed, I took a guess.
If there are any freshmen listed at the wrong school, feel free to let me know. Also, if there are any other wrestlers who have transferred, decided not to wrestle next year, or graduated (but I mistakenly left them in the rankings), please let me know.

I love doing these rankings, but as it has been pointed out before, they are just for fun. To any wrestlers who read these and feel that they are ranked too low, you may be right.
I am bound to be wrong on many of the rankings, but fortunately they have absolutely no impact on how anyone will finish at any tournament this season or any other year.

* = unsure about participation or availability

# = A second wrestler from the same school ranked at the same weight. I will add an extra wrestler to the rankings at each weight that contains a #.

106-
1. Jacob Moon- Clay
2. Jack Stanley- Brecksville (4th state)
3. Richie Delsanter- St. Edward (5th state)
4. Sean Seefeldt Ė St. Edward#
5. Shane Heil- Berea-Midpark (SQ)
6. Johnny Novak- St. Ignatius (5th district)
7. Bryce Allison- Elyria
8. Case George- Ashland (6th district)
9. Jason Cascadden- Whitmer

Incoming Freshmen:
Peyton Fenton- Elyria (1st middle school state)
Pablo Castro- Brecksville (3rd middle school state)
Wyatt Richter- St. Edward (6th middle school state)

This weight looks like it could be loaded again next year. I expect that Seefeldt will wrestle 106 again after wrestling 100-pounds in freestyle this spring, and Richter will likely take a year to grown into the weight.
Middle school state champ Fenton could be a title threat right out of the gate, and Castro could potentially place high as a freshman, assuming Stanley moves up in weight.

113-
1. Dylan Shawver- Elyria (2nd, 4th state)
2. Jack Haskin- Whitmer (SQ)
3. Pino DiPierro- Berea-Midpark (SQ)
4. Scott Richter- St. Edward (5th district)
5. Hudson Poole- St. Edward#
6. Tucker Garn- Sylvania Northview
7. Alex Reagon- N. Olmsted
8. Cohan Robinson- Ashland
9. Ayden Rivers- Steele*

Incoming Freshman:
Nathan Burnett- Elyria (4th middle school state)

Shawver continued his climb up the ladder last season, reaching his first state finals and giving nationally ranked Lukas Byrd a battle in the title bout. He also beat D-2 state champ Tanner Jordan 7-5 at Ironman, won the district title after beating Haskin and DiPierro, and won a title at Brecksville where he beat 4 state placers consecutively.
His Brecksville run included a pin over D-3 state bronze medalist Caleb Edwards, a 6-0 win over state placer Gavin Ritter, a 3-2 win over 3x state placer Brandon Lucas, and a 5-2 win over state champ Zach Shupp who finished the year nationally ranked.

120-
1. Julian Tagg- Brecksville (1st, 1st state)
2. Angelo Rini- St. Edward (4th, 5th state)
3. Ricardo Oviedo- Perrysburg (5th district, SQ 2017)
4. Kyle Maville- Clay (SQ)
5. Matthew Whipkey- St. Ignatius*
6. Caden Wendling- Berea-Midpark (6th district)
7. Zak Anderson- Midview
8. Daniel Devera- Parma

Tagg ended a second straight year with a state title over a nationally ranked wrestler, avenging his district finals loss to 2x state champ Brendon Fenton with a 5-1 win in Columbus. This came a bout after he majored 2x state placer Logan Heil (11-3) in the semis.
Over the course of last year, Tagg also beat Rini (2x), state placers Canitano, Petersen, and Hacker as well as Michigan state champ Ben Kamali (11-5), who he beat in the Brecksville finals.

126-
1. Jordan Crace- Elyria (1st, 3rd state)*
2. Bryce Hepner- St. Edward (1st, 2nd state)
3. Mick Burnett- Elyria (2nd, 6th state)#
4. Jimmy Carmany- Brecksville (4th state)
5. D.J. Huff- St. Ignatius (6th district)
6. Charles Chapman- (Fremont) Ross
7. Mike Daly- Clay (SQ)
8. Jayden Jones- Ashland
9. Nate Barrett- Madison Comp.

Incoming Freshman:
Evan Bennett- St. Edward (2nd middle school state)

Itís crazy how stacked this weight-class looks with the addition of Crace. Two state champs, another state finalist, a state placer, another state qualifier, and Huff who beat state placer Messer at Ironman and posted a win over Ironman placer Colton Yapoujian at Super 32. Yapoujian defeated 2x state champ Andonian at Ironman.
Obviously, Crace and Burnett will be at different weights next year, and hopefully the rest of the field will disperse a bit so that we donít have potential state placers staying home.

132-
1. Gabriel Tagg- Brecksville (1st, 3rd, 2nd state)
2. Jake Visintine- Ashland (SQ)
3. Andrew Philion- Midview (5th district)
4. Deshea Pettiford- (Fremont) Ross (SQ 2017)
5. Patrick McGraw- St. Ignatius
6. Zach Snyder- Anthony Wayne
7. Michael Miller- Valley Forge
8. Jaden Johnson- Findlay

Tagg really rounded into form by the end of the season, avenging his Ironman loss to Kazimir (10-2) with an 8-2 win in the state duals, a pin in the district finals, and an 11-3 major in the state finals.
He also avenged his Brecksville finals loss to Breeding with a 9-1 major in the district quarters.
Tagg also placed at both Ironman and the Beast of the East, defeating state champ Matt Fields 8-3 in the 7th place final of the former event.

138-
1. Bryce Andonian- St. Edward (1st, 5th, 1st state)
2. Marco Regalbuto- Brecksville (3rd, 5th state)
3. Matt Zuckerman- Elyria (7th state)
4. Alex Garee- Perrysburg (6th district)
5. Austin McNamara- Ashland
6. Conner Liber- Sylvania Northview
7. Alex Szigeti- Clay
8. Ben Blickle- Strongsville

Incoming Freshman:
Nathan Urry- Olmsted Falls (6th middle school state)

Andonian jumped levels over the course of last season, as his two wins over Luke Baughman can attest. He lost to Baughman in a dual in the opening weekend last year, but defeated him in their state duals bout and then again in that awesome state finals match.
Andonian also split two bouts with Ironman champ Stickley, after not placing at Ironman.
Recently, Andonian added another impressive victory, this time in freestyle, teching state champ Voinovich in the finals of the Central Regional at Ohio Northern.

145-
1. Victor Voinovich- Brecksville (1st state)
2. Sam Dover- St. Edward (3rd, 3rd, 5th state)
3. Enrique Munguia- Elyria
4. Jim Schill- Elyria#
5. Trent Osborne- Madison Comp.
6. Zach Morgan- St. Ignatius
7. David Grecol- Strongsville
8. Hunter Kupniewski- North Royalton (6th district 2017)
9. Liam Kruger- Westlake

Incoming Freshman:
Tyler Weseman- Clay (2nd middle school state)

It seems weird to have Voinovich ranked directly above Dover given the fact that Dover was 3-0 against Voinovich last year, but the freshman saved his best performance for last, claiming a state title after knocking off Donathan who is 3-0 against Dover over the last 2 years.
Voinovich also beat nationally ranked North in the state semifinals last year, claiming the rubber match. Iíll be interested to see if Voinovich wrestles 145 again this season or grows during the off-season. Heís been wrestling 145 in freestyle.

152-
1. Paddy Gallagher- St Edward (3rd state)
2. Farouq Muhammed- Elyria (4th state, 6th state 2016)
3. Drew Newton- Perrysburg (5th district 2017)*
4. Ben Vanadia- Brecksville (SQ)
5. Paul Twarog- North Royalton (6th district)
6. Kyle Miller- Clay
7. Dane Fenice- Franklin Hts.
8. Jayden Jackson- Lakewood

Incoming Freshman:
Noah Ewen- Perrysburg (1st middle school state)

Gallagher was as good as advertised last season, placing 3rd at the state tournament as a freshman after beating 2x state placer and Super 32 placer Muhammed for a 3rd straight week in the consolation finals of the state tournament.
He also teched 5th place finisher Naeem Russell 19-4 in the consolation semis at state. Gallagher will be the highest returning placer from this weight with Carr and Marsh graduating.

160-
1. Najee Lockett- St. Ignatius (5th state)
2. Hudson Hightower- St. Edward (SQ)
3. Jake Evans- Elyria (SQ)
4. Troy Murphy- Clay (SQ)
5. Jackson Weissinger- (Fremont) Ross (5th district)
6. Gavin Ziol- Parma
7. Dalton Diaz- N. Olmsted
8. Isaac Sell- Brecksville

Incoming Freshman:
Connor Ramsey- Midview (6th middle school state)

Lockett made impressive improvements over his sophomore year, landing his first state medal at seasonís end. He beat Trey Sizemore 11-6 at the state tournament after losing to him (7-4) at Ironman early in the season. Lockett also capped his season with a 12-4 major over 2x state placer Tyler Bates after also posting wins over state placer Will McGhee, as well as Hightower (2x), Murphy, and Evans.

I remembered seeing a separate thread that had Ramsey going to Northwest, so I may have his school wrong.

170-
1. Ethan Hatcher- Brecksville (SQ)
2. Mike Garcar- St. Edward (SQ)
3. Conor Beard- St. Edward#
4. Jakob Beverly- Ashland
5. Hayden Rockman- Elyria
6. Ethan Garee- Perrysburg
7. Gabe Edinger- Tol. DeSales
8. Ronald Williams- Berea-Midpark
9. Nykesse Averette- Walnut Ridge

Hatcher defeated Garcar 6-4 in the district semis last season to qualify for his second state tournament in as many seasons. He also defeated Garcar 3-2 in the semifinals of the state duals, and Hatcher pinned Beverly at Brecksville where he also stuck 2x state placer Tyler Speelman in his next match.

182-
1. Jacob Meek- Clay (SQ)
2. Clay Carpenter- Steele
3. Lewis Aguilar- Elyria
4. Nicholas Lisco- St. Edward
5. Ethan Bouffard- Garfield Hts.
6. Tommy Gill- St. Ignatius
7. Anthony Cole- Madison Comp.
8. Jamon Johnson-Bowsher

Meek slogged his way through the consolation bracket at the district tournament last year, posting 4 straight wins after an opening round loss. The final win was a 6-4 victory over Jiryes Zakaib to avenge the first round loss while simultaneously punching a ticket to the state tournament.
Meek also reached the blood round of the state tournament after beating Sebastian Beachler 13-10 in the first consolation round. The win avenged an earlier loss to Beachler in the finals at Fairfield earlier in the season.

195-
1. Caleb Wood- (Fremont) Ross (SQ)
2. Jordan Greer- Avon (5th district)
3. Josh Nagy- Clay
4. Justin Jaeckin- Olmsted Falls
5. Andrew Levis- Elyria
6. Jake Noon- Findlay
7. Tristian Pitz- Ashland
8. Leon Webb- Garfield Hts.

The ever dangerous Wood posted wins over state qualifiers Nick Coyle, Seth Frambach (2x), Zach Bryant (3x), Micah Clemson, and Colton Campbell last year while reaching the blood round of the state tournament.
The prior season he pinned state bronze medalist Duce Johnson at Brecksville.

220-
1. Josh Bever- Ashland (5th, 7th state)
2. Seamus OíMalley- St. Edward (4th state)
3. Jake Roesch- Avon (SQ)
4. Lazar Gasic- N. Royalton (6th district)
5. Marko Flowers- Perrysburg*
6. Lyle Campbell- Clay
7. Patrick MacGregor- N. Ridgeville
8. Daniel Yu- Berea-Midpark

Incoming Freshman:
Tyler Cobb- Clay (1st middle school state)

Last season, Bever won the district title after beating OíMalley 10-3 in the semifinals and winning by default over 2x state placer Zach DíAnna in the finals. He claimed his second state medal in Columbus, placing 5th after splitting 2 bouts with 2x state placer Joe Cochran and pinning Parker Meaney in the 5th place final.
Bever also placed 3rd at Brecksville where he beat D-2 state champ Tyler Stein, and he won a title at the Gorman where he beat D-3 state finalist Chris Kuhn 9-6 in the finals.

285-
1. Daniel Bucknavich- Midview (5th district)
2. Tyler Jones- N. Olmsted
3. Yousef Awad- Lakewood
4. Brian Kilbane- St. Edward
5. Jeff Pietrowski- St. Edward#
6. DayíMyrin Jones- Franklin Hts.
7. Jack Chapman- Berea-Midpark
8. Jake Bever- Ashland
9. Ryan Stadler- Brecksville

Kilbane and Pietrowski will both be juniors for St. Edward this season. Iím not sure if either can make 220 this year or next season, but it could potentially help the team. I assume that OíMalley will stay put at 220 next year, but he did have two results last year listed at 195. That could have been an error given the weights for some of the state duals were misreported.

Teams:
1. St. Edward
2. Elyria
3. Brecksville
4. Clay
5. Ashland
6. St. Ignatius
7. Perrysburg
8. (Fremont) Ross

Edís looks to be the favorite once again, but holy crap Brecksville and Elyria will be loaded as well!
Edís loses Kazimir, Zakaib, Howard, and Kilbane, but theyíll likely add former middle school state placers Seefeldt, Kilbane, and possibly Bennett into the line-up.
Elyria adds another Fenton and another Burnett, as well as former Graham state champ Crace to the line-up. They could also be adding middle school state champ Ours, if he opts to wrestle for their squad.
Brecksville will add middle school state placer Castro into the mix, and they only lose Perelka and DíAnna from last yearís 10 state qualifiers.

A special thanks to Boro Fan for all the insight into the weights of the wrestlers, Baumís Page and Jakeís Wrestling for all of the results that they provide, and to any of the other wrestling nerds that actually read these things.

-Max Pearce
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-18, 07:02 PM
Varsity

Neverwrestled is on a distinguished road
Will this district stay as is or will they shift them again this year?
Old 05-30-18, 07:32 PM
All Region

dion is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverwrestled View Post
Will this district stay as is or will they shift them again this year?
If I was a gambling man I would bet Brecksville is back at Hoover in 2019; just as they were in 2017. This is the way it should play out. Hoover might be a slightly stronger district in this case, but if they were to go to Perrysburg again this coming season it would beyond brutal.
Old 05-30-18, 08:20 PM
All Yappi

bucksman will become famous soon enough
As a housekeeping note, the two northern districts will be in the NORTHEAST this year - presumably at Mentor and North Canton. I am unsure as to how they will compose the districts, as the same type of sectionals will be involved.
Old 05-30-18, 10:52 PM
All Yappi

FirestoneFan is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to FirestoneFan
Bucksman, do you think they might send the NW teams to Hoover? Would it make a difference in state qualifiers?
Old 05-31-18, 01:42 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirestoneFan View Post
Bucksman, do you think they might send the NW teams to Hoover? Would it make a difference in state qualifiers?
A very good idea!
Old 05-31-18, 02:05 PM
All Ohio

chidy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
As a housekeeping note, the two northern districts will be in the NORTHEAST this year - presumably at Mentor and North Canton. I am unsure as to how they will compose the districts, as the same type of sectionals will be involved.
Sometimes they do it geographically but we know how there can be gray area in that.

Distance for Whitehall-Yearling Sectional to the 2 potential districts (168 miles to Mentor, 141 miles to Hoover)

Distance for Brecksville sectional (36 miles to Mentor, 43 miles to Hoover)

Distance for Clay Sectional (131 miles to Mentor, 147 miles to Hoover,)

Distance for Kenston Sectional (23 miles to Mentor, 49 miles to Hoover)

These would be the 4 sectionals that have the potential to shift to a different configuration.

My guess is that most likely Westlake and W. South would go to Mentor
Perry and Wadsworth to Hoover

The other 4 sectionals could be shifted around based on what the NEDAB decides

In my opinion the most logical way would be Clay and Kenston to Mentor
Brecksville and WY to Hoover

But that's above my paygrade and I don't make those decisions
Old 05-31-18, 03:07 PM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Teams:
1. St. Edward
2. Elyria
3. Brecksville
4. Clay
5. Ashland
6. St. Ignatius
7. Perrysburg
8. (Fremont) Ross

Edís looks to be the favorite once again, but holy crap Brecksville and Elyria will be loaded as well!

Brecksville might not crack the top 5 with two key loses. I don't believe Elyria has enough to challenge for a title UNLESS they get the two transfers.

LaSalle SHOULD (as we stand today) be the only team to challenge Ed's this year. The dual should be a great event.

Neither of the above mentioned can make 20 for Ed's.

Max I do have a question. Are you just inserting names in weights or do you believe those will be the weights the wrestlers will go?
Old 05-31-18, 04:22 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by chidy View Post
Sometimes they do it geographically but we know how there can be gray area in that.

Distance for Whitehall-Yearling Sectional to the 2 potential districts (168 miles to Mentor, 141 miles to Hoover)

Distance for Brecksville sectional (36 miles to Mentor, 43 miles to Hoover)

Distance for Clay Sectional (131 miles to Mentor, 147 miles to Hoover,)

Distance for Kenston Sectional (23 miles to Mentor, 49 miles to Hoover)

These would be the 4 sectionals that have the potential to shift to a different configuration.

My guess is that most likely Westlake and W. South would go to Mentor
Perry and Wadsworth to Hoover

The other 4 sectionals could be shifted around based on what the NEDAB decides

In my opinion the most logical way would be Clay and Kenston to Mentor
Brecksville and WY to Hoover

But that's above my paygrade and I don't make those decisions
Completly agree I see brecksville sectional going back to hoover. Also whitehall makes sense. Cant beleive you worked this out so fast the NEDAB takes till febuary
Old 05-31-18, 05:02 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Teams:
1. St. Edward
2. Elyria
3. Brecksville
4. Clay
5. Ashland
6. St. Ignatius
7. Perrysburg
8. (Fremont) Ross

Brecksville might not crack the top 5 with two key loses. I don't believe Elyria has enough to challenge for a title UNLESS they get the two transfers.

LaSalle SHOULD (as we stand today) be the only team to challenge Ed's this year. The dual should be a great event.

Max I do have a question. Are you just inserting names in weights or do you believe those will be the weights the wrestlers will go?
My opening paragraph sums it up.
Old 05-31-18, 07:58 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman112 View Post
Teams:
1. St. Edward
2. Elyria
3. Brecksville
4. Clay
5. Ashland
6. St. Ignatius
7. Perrysburg
8. (Fremont) Ross

Brecksville 2 key loses?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-18, 10:35 AM
All American

mailman112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClearn7 View Post
My opening paragraph sums it up.
Thank you for the response but your opening doesn't address the weights? I assume you are just going by last year. The weights will play a huge part where each wrestlers may or may not place. Either way I love you take the time you are a far better man then I.

Thank you for all the hard work.
Old 06-06-18, 05:21 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
I would be surprised if Clay's Jacob Moon is at 106 next season. No inside knowledge, just expecting some growth with age and the fact he was wrestling at both 106 and 113 last year and won Jr High state just over a year ago at around 114.

Last edited by OCEagle; 06-08-18 at 07:57 AM.
Old 06-09-18, 10:37 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEagle View Post
I would be surprised if Clay's Jacob Moon is at 106 next season. No inside knowledge, just expecting some growth with age and the fact he was wrestling at both 106 and 113 last year and won Jr High state just over a year ago at around 114.
These rankings are the weights that they wrestled at last year minus the seniors. For the next set of rankings I will start to move wrestlers around to new weights, though there will definitely be some weights that change throughout the offseson.
Old 06-09-18, 01:55 PM
All American

OCEagle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClearn7 View Post
These rankings are the weights that they wrestled at last year minus the seniors. For the next set of rankings I will start to move wrestlers around to new weights, though there will definitely be some weights that change throughout the offseson.
Got it. Thought that might be the case, but I thought I saw a couple of wrestlers that were at different weights. May have looked at those wrong when I glanced at the rankings for other weights.
Old 06-10-18, 12:56 AM
All Region

Iroquois is on a distinguished road
Great Stuff Thanks
Old 06-14-18, 05:10 AM
Freshman

High amplitude is on a distinguished road
When do they choose the schools going to what sectional and district? When do they decide where the sectionals and districts will be located?
Old 06-14-18, 07:06 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by High amplitude View Post
When do they choose the schools going to what sectional and district? When do they decide where the sectionals and districts will be located?
Its usualy the week before sectionals. Dont understand why they take so long to decide.
Old 06-15-18, 06:17 AM
Freshman

High amplitude is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Its usualy the week before sectionals. Dont understand why they take so long to decide.
Thanks, that is crazy to wait that long. You think they would give the host school a little more time to prepare for such an event.
Old 06-15-18, 08:03 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by High amplitude View Post
Thanks, that is crazy to wait that long. You think they would give the host school a little more time to prepare for such an event.
Its really not a week before but its way to late in the year
Old 06-16-18, 07:43 AM
All Region

Quote:
It's never been that late. If you go to the ohsaa web site they always have it by sometime in January.