Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > Professional Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
View Poll Results: Who wins NBA Championship: Cavs vs Warriors
Cavs in 4 0 0%
Cavs in 5 0 0%
Cavs in 6 2 6.90%
Cavs in 7 8 27.59%
Warriors in 4 9 31.03%
Warriors in 5 7 24.14%
Warriors in 6 3 10.34%
Warriors in 7 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-31-18, 11:12 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
It wasn't a charge. LeBron was clearly sliding into Durant hence why there was enough evidence to overturn it. The ref who made the original call tried to be a hero and you could tell he immediately knew he made the wrong call right away afterwards.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-18, 11:12 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Three things will come out of this game. One was bad by the Cavs, two are a disgrace by the NBA officials:

1. JR dribbling out in a tied game.
2. Overturning obvious charge call. Why in the world did the NBA open this can of worms. I can't imagine any other league making such a dumb rule and then to enforce it incorrectly is shocking. Brilliant move NBA. One step closer to professional wrestling.
3. Ejection of Thompson when he didn't even commit a foul. That official should lose his job. The NBA needs to step up and apologize for the actions of their officials tonight. We've accepted that LeBron will get hammered everytime he gets in the lane but to call a flagrant 2 on a non-contact play is downright embarrassing.
Right on!
Old 05-31-18, 11:13 PM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Three things will come out of this game. One was bad by the Cavs, two are a disgrace by the NBA officials:

2. Overturning obvious charge call. Why in the world did the NBA open this can of worms. I can't imagine any other league making such a dumb rule and then to enforce it incorrectly is shocking. Brilliant move NBA. One step closer to professional wrestling.
3. Ejection of Thompson when he didn't even commit a foul. That official should lose his job. The NBA needs to step up and apologize for the actions of their officials tonight. We've accepted that LeBron will get hammered everytime he gets in the lane but to call a flagrant 2 on a non-contact play is downright embarrassing.
The officiating mistakes in real time are more excusable. To review a thing and screw it up really is a mystery to me.
Old 05-31-18, 11:18 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop Stix View Post
It wasn't a charge. LeBron was clearly sliding into Durant hence why there was enough evidence to overturn it. The ref who made the original call tried to be a hero and you could tell he immediately knew he made the wrong call right away afterwards.
Totally disagree. HS game, absolute charge and every coach knows it. College game, absolute charge and every coach knows it. NBA is the one level where they side with the offense far too often. Durant came down the middle out of control and barreled a player. Clearly a charge and the only question should have been whether LeBron was in the circle. He wasn't. No way that should EVER get overturned. Total embarrassment for the NBA.
All Yappi

Quote:
You are wrong.

LeBron's motion, imperceptible in real time and obviously a result of momentum above his waist only, was not the sole reason for the contact into the path of the offensive player. As JVG correctly stated, there is no responsibility on the defender to be completely motionless.
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
Quote:
LeBron beat him to the spot, correctly called a charge. They somehow decide to review a foul call. Guess we will have to review all blocks and steals to see if they were actually clean or not.

Only thing that should be reviewed is restricted area. He was clearly outside of it, game on.
Old 05-31-18, 11:19 PM
All Yappi

brian1227 is on a distinguished road
I tokd you jr smith is worthless, no hood lue is awful.
Old 05-31-18, 11:21 PM
All World

joesports is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I think the call could go either way ... what I donít like is saying you are going to review to see if he is in the restricted zone ... then overturning it not because he was in the restricted zone but for some other reason ... I agree with Ty Lue, never seen that called that way before.
Old 05-31-18, 11:21 PM
All World

Chop Stix is an unknown quantity at this point
No, you're both wrong. LeBron was clearly moving into Durant, not away from him, and wasn't in a legal guarding position.
Old 05-31-18, 11:23 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Seriously better have JR on suicide watch, its not a laughing matter at all he is such a mental head case that he shouldn’t be alone. Especially the way he will be ripped by the media over the next 48 hours. I’d hope he comes out Sunday and puts in 24 pts but I wouldn’t bet on that.
Old 05-31-18, 11:24 PM
All American

Ts1960 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
No, you're both wrong. LeBron was clearly moving into Durant, not away from him, and wasn't in a legal guarding position.
Ex refs and ex NBA players don’t agree with you and I’d say know more then your couch reffing a** does.
Old 05-31-18, 11:36 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ts1960 View Post
Ex refs and the ex NBA players don’t agree with you and I’d say know more then your couch reffing a** does.
Choppy's just a goof that trolls Cleveland fans. The fact that he uses the phrase "not in a legal guarding position" after hearing JVG expressly say that "LeBron was in a legal guarding position" kind of confirms BS for me. Just my opinion.

Choppy parks cars on the side in Brooklyn so he can eat after paying his rent with his entire crap wage. He's kind of meaningless. Not an opinion. Fact.
Old 05-31-18, 11:58 PM
All World

Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Looked like a block to me so they ultimately got it right. I'll admit I had no idea they could review offensive foul calls in the last 2 minutes.

However, the missed call on the strip of LeBron that was clearly a foul, and the foul call on Lebron's clean strip of Durant were more egregious to me. Specifically the foul on LeBron was completely obvious even in real-time. I believe GS went down and hit a 3 on the turnover so that's essentially a 5 point swing right there. Obviously JR made an all-time dumb play at the end that likely cost them the game, but you can make an argument they shouldn't have been in that position.

Also, no idea what the ejection on TT was about unless there was an angle they weren't showing.
Old 06-01-18, 02:33 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
I know everyone's claiming a fix but the NBA has a lot more to gain from this series being extended to as many possible than they do with the Warriors winning in s short series. Like probably a few hundred million dollars.

The call sucked. I'm not sure how you reverse that unless Lebron's in the circle? It doesn't fall under the "obvious" umbrella is the only thing that should be used at that stage of the game.

JR's going to take the heat and deserves it but Lue and the other four players on the court should've all made sure the situation was known before the play even happened. Heck, they all could've called a TO as well after the rebound but none did. Everyone expected Hill to make the free throw and the Cavs moved everyone back to not allow the Warriors to push the ball for an open look without calling a TO. Came back to bite Cleveland because their key guys were all outside the 3 point line.
Old 06-01-18, 02:49 AM
All Yappi

Yellow_Jacket06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Yellow_Jacket06 Send a message via Yahoo to Yellow_Jacket06
Whether it was a block or charge is irrelevant. According to the rules, that call is only reviewable to see if the player is in the restricted zone which LeBron clearly wasn't. It shouldn't have been reviewed to begin with, let alone overturned.
Old 06-01-18, 03:22 AM
All Yappi

Levi is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Levi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Whether it was a block or charge is irrelevant. According to the rules, that call is only reviewable to see if the player is in the restricted zone which LeBron clearly wasn't. It shouldn't have been reviewed to begin with, let alone overturned.
Refs really effed up a good game...
Old 06-01-18, 05:38 AM
All American

Raider6309 is on a distinguished road
Idk how the refs still screw up easy calls with replay.
Old 06-01-18, 06:03 AM
All Yappi

adselder09 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Jacket06 View Post
Except that's not true anymore. Did you guys not listen to the announcers? The rule was put in place a few years ago - in addition to reviewing the foot/feet in the restricted area they're also allowed to determine whether the correct call was made on the floor. Completely stupid rule by the NBA, but 99 times out of 100 the call on the court should stand.
Old 06-01-18, 06:05 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2h View Post
LeBron beat him to the spot, correctly called a charge. They somehow decide to review a foul call. Guess we will have to review all blocks and steals to see if they were actually clean or not.

Only thing that should be reviewed is restricted area. He was clearly outside of it, game on.
Part of the rules now in the last 2 minutes, unfortunately.
Old 06-01-18, 06:19 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Totally disagree. HS game, absolute charge and every coach knows it. College game, absolute charge and every coach knows it. NBA is the one level where they side with the offense far too often. Durant came down the middle out of control and barreled a player. Clearly a charge and the only question should have been whether LeBron was in the circle. He wasn't. No way that should EVER get overturned. Total embarrassment for the NBA.
In HS or college typically the referees at least make the defender square up to the offensive player's drive. Granted in college the block/charge call goes towards defense WAY too much. In the NBA you can get away with turning your body, not being squared up to the drive and they hide behind the phrase "legal guarding position." As I said before in real time I thought charge, in replay I thought block - was definitely more 50/50 than some of you argue. The beef should be in the review process and the referees having the kahunas to overturn the call.

As for the TT play, the referee who made the call was standing behind Livingston when he shot. As TT went out he closed out with his forearm/elbow as opposed to a hand in the face. That's about the only explanation for what he thought he saw. Javie said on the broadcast that TT went high with an elbow - then they showed 2-3 replays and everyone saw he wasn't that close to the shooter. Things were also getting out of hand with LBJ, Steph and Klay talking smack just before that possession, so it was likely a way to try and ensure nothing worse happened. Yet if he let's the clock run out nothing comes of it and there's no skirmish at the end of the game.

Will be interested to see the 2-minute report and hear what the NBA has to say about the officials today.
Old 06-01-18, 06:26 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by adselder09 View Post
Except that's not true anymore. Did you guys not listen to the announcers? The rule was put in place a few years ago - in addition to reviewing the foot/feet in the restricted area they're also allowed to determine whether the correct call was made on the floor. Completely stupid rule by the NBA, but 99 times out of 100 the call on the court should stand.
Right, we know what the new rule is. The issue is the trigger for review -- which is solely placement within the restricted area. They knew LeBron was well away from the restricted area. They just used that as a justification after the fact. The refs were confused from the moment the whistle was blown. The one ref probably got a little whistle happy with the original charge call but it was no worse than any other 50/50 call in an NBA game. The reversal is what is odd, and on sketchy evidence and a bogus pretense.

That's the one that decided the game but how Draymond Green gets a technical for nearly poking LeBron's eye out and Tristan Thompson gets a Flagrant 2 for inadvertent contact is beyond me.
Old 06-01-18, 06:41 AM
All American

jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Anyway let's see if the Cavs have any fight left in them. The good news is the Cavs gave the Warriors everything they could handle and more on their home court. What happened with J.R. sucked but I think Cleveland's ire is squarely on Mauer, the other refs, and GSW. Hoping the effort just doubles from here. Probably most worried about that cut to LeBron's eye as that kind of stuff can worsen or take a long time to heal.
Old 06-01-18, 06:53 AM
All Yappi

zeeman is on a distinguished road
Bron is truly on a level that I have never seen in any sport. He is Secretariat, Gretzky, Ruth, Brady all rolled up into one and even beyond. I usually donít watch the NBA but he is must see tv.
Old 06-01-18, 06:53 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Since when do we review block/charge fouls? What universe is this?
Apparently within the last couple years. If that rule is real - that's total garbage. Make the call on the court and move on.
Old 06-01-18, 06:54 AM
All World

Quote:
Definitely a charge
Definitely a block in slow mo. Real time it's one of those 50-50 calls, whatever is called is what it should be. They called charge, should have left it.
Old 06-01-18, 06:55 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
I just donít get how you can want to f**k the team that wasnít even expected to win a game in this series
They were expected to win by 13 and needed one of the all time bone head plays in NBA history to force OT for the win. And they're jawing off?
Old 06-01-18, 06:57 AM
All World

Quote:
Obviously these refs are a joke. What the hell did Thompson do to get ejected on the original foul?

What a farce.
I can understand. Refs, regardless of the bad calls down the stretch, wanted to set the tone for the series. With 2.6 seconds left, with the shoulder drop, it was a meaningless ejection.
Old 06-01-18, 07:00 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson03 View Post
Right, we know what the new rule is. The issue is the trigger for review -- which is solely placement within the restricted area. They knew LeBron was well away from the restricted area. They just used that as a justification after the fact. The refs were confused from the moment the whistle was blown. The one ref probably got a little whistle happy with the original charge call but it was no worse than any other 50/50 call in an NBA game. The reversal is what is odd, and on sketchy evidence and a bogus pretense.

That's the one that decided the game but how Draymond Green gets a technical for nearly poking LeBron's eye out and Tristan Thompson gets a Flagrant 2 for inadvertent contact is beyond me.
The way they explained it on TV, those plays are reviewable in the last 2 minutes. It isn't just the restricted area that can trigger that. Maybe I didn't hear them right, but either way awful decision by the NBA to open that can of worms.
Old 06-01-18, 07:01 AM
All World

Quote:

Dez Bryant/Calvin Johnson catch rule?

Be a little more objective and less homer. He dropped the shoulder. Definitely didn't warrant an ejection or a flag 2, but I can understand the refs wanting to set the tone on things getting chippy with these two teams who have a history of going at each other.
Old 06-01-18, 07:11 AM
All Ohio

wolves82 is on a distinguished road
Those of you saying "obvious charge" or "obvious block" or "easy call" are either biased or clueless. It is the hardest call in sports in real-time, because it happens so fast. It was a very close call in real-time.

My issue is that opening these difficult judgement calls to slow-mo replay is a pandora's box that should have never been opened. NBA is so dumb for allowing it. If you are going to allow it, they should at least insist on "indisputable visual evidence" like the NFL.

LeBron's upper body was slightly turned and swaying a little in slow-mo. So what? His feet were set before KD started up with the shot. Van Gundy and the guest referee expert (Steve Jafee?) both agreed with the original call. No way there is anything clear and obvious enough in the replay to overturn.

Cavs got robbed.