Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-29-18, 12:03 PM
All Region

spirit454 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
In Kentucky teams play 32-38 games per season. It would not be hard to do at all. Like was said earlier, play every Tuesday and Friday and mix in a few Saturdays.
Kentucky's whole basketball structure is very different than Ohio's.
Old 05-29-18, 12:09 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spirit454 View Post
Kentucky's whole basketball structure is very different than Ohio's.
Okay, not really sure what you mean by that. The fact remains they play typically 15 or more games than Ohio teams in the same amount of time. Ohio would be fine with 24 game seasons.
Old 05-29-18, 12:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
I don't think so... I believe that is against the law.
You may want to think again. There are two options, a School District Administrated club or an Independent State Corporate Registration club which is what most are.
Old 05-29-18, 12:12 PM
All Region

Quote:
Okay, not really sure what you mean by that. The fact remains they play typically 15 or more games than Ohio teams in the same amount of time. Ohio would be fine with 24 game seasons.
Many games are played in a small tournament atmosphere with 4 games being played in 4 days.
Old 05-29-18, 12:17 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Many games are played in a small tournament atmosphere with 4 games being played in 4 days.
That doesn't come close to making up for 15 games. Ky teams play multiple times a week and have a lot less schools to play along with farther drive times than Ohio teams.
Old 05-29-18, 12:29 PM
All Region

Quote:
That doesn't come close to making up for 15 games. Ky teams play multiple times a week and have a lot less schools to play along with farther drive times than Ohio teams.
When you can play 2-3 weekends of 3-4 games in 3-4 days it adds up. Plus they begin practicing in middle October. 2-3 weeks before Ohio. Plus I do not see all KY teams playing 15 games more than Ohio teams. Maybe if they went to the state final but if we compare that to Ohio then you can add another 7-8 games for the Ohio teams.
Old 05-29-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
When you can play 2-3 weekends of 3-4 games in 3-4 days it adds up. Plus they begin practicing in middle October. 2-3 weeks before Ohio. Plus I do not see all KY teams playing 15 games more than Ohio teams. Maybe if they went to the state final but if we compare that to Ohio then you can add another 7-8 games for the Ohio teams.
As an example Cov Cath played 32 regular season games. They played in a 3 game Holiday Tournament which most Ohio teams do as well and they played 4 games over a long weekend at another Northern Kentucky school. Other than that they didn't play in any other type of event. To think that 24 games is to difficult to schedule for in Ohio is ludicrous. Most of their schedule is filled with multiple weeknight games and Friday/Saturday doubleheaders. Their first game was November 29th 1 week before most Ohio teams. Their season ended with a State Championship March 18th 1 weekend before Ohio's season ended.
Old 05-29-18, 01:15 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Ohio has been under National Federation rules for many years. Getting to 22 games in Ohio took many years. They aren't going to 24.
Old 05-29-18, 01:37 PM
All Region

Quote:
As an example Cov Cath played 32 regular season games. They played in a 3 game Holiday Tournament which most Ohio teams do as well and they played 4 games over a long weekend at another Northern Kentucky school. Other than that they didn't play in any other type of event. To think that 24 games is to difficult to schedule for in Ohio is ludicrous. Most of their schedule is filled with multiple weeknight games and Friday/Saturday doubleheaders. Their first game was November 29th 1 week before most Ohio teams. Their season ended with a State Championship March 18th 1 weekend before Ohio's season ended.
Looking at the Cov Cath schedule they played 30 regular season games which included two tournaments, one 4 days and the other 3 days, which provided 7 games in those 7 days.(many Ohio team tournaments provide 2 games) They then played 9 KHSAA tournament games to give them 39 on the season winning their state title by playing 4 games in 4 days.
Old 05-29-18, 02:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Looking at the Cov Cath schedule they played 30 regular season games which included two tournaments, one 4 days and the other 3 days, which provided 7 games in those 7 days.(many Ohio team tournaments provide 2 games) They then played 9 KHSAA tournament games to give them 39 on the season winning their state title by playing 4 games in 4 days.
Almost all Ohio teams play multiple games over the Holiday break. Do you seriously think adding 2 extra games would be difficult in Ohio?
Old 05-29-18, 03:59 PM
All Region

Quote:
Almost all Ohio teams play multiple games over the Holiday break. Do you seriously think adding 2 extra games would be difficult in Ohio?
Almost every team in Ohio plays during the schools Christmas break but that is irrelevant to this topic. Playing an 11 to 12 week season with high school kids who have academic responsibilities, family responsibilities and who knows what else plus keeping them rested for games. Toss in that many kids play multiple sports so they are coming off a full season or will be heading to another season when basketball is done. With all of that and adding in the potential of rescheduling games due to football or soccer, not to mention weather cancellations and make-ups. Yes, I do think the 2 more games is an unnecessary addition. Some schools already do not play the 22 allowed and others have games canceled that do not or cannot be made up because of busy schedules now.
Old 05-29-18, 04:05 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Almost every team in Ohio plays during the schools Christmas break but that is irrelevant to this topic. Playing an 11 to 12 week season with high school kids who have academic responsibilities, family responsibilities and who knows what else plus keeping them rested for games. Toss in that many kids play multiple sports so they are coming off a full season or will be heading to another season when basketball is done. With all of that and adding in the potential of rescheduling games due to football or soccer, not to mention weather cancellations and make-ups. Yes, I do think the 2 more games is an unnecessary addition. Some schools already do not play the 22 allowed and others have games canceled that do not or cannot be made up because of busy schedules now.
I will leave it at this:
If you played twice a week in Ohio you would play 24 games for a season. If the schools are not playing a game they are practicing. I get saying you are not in favor of playing 24 games in a season but to say it's difficult for schools to do just isn't true.
Old 05-29-18, 04:20 PM
All Region

Quote:
I will leave it at this:
If you played twice a week in Ohio you would play 24 games for a season. If the schools are not playing a game they are practicing. I get saying you are not in favor of playing 24 games in a season but to say it's difficult for schools to do just isn't true.
What you say works on paper but not so much when trying to apply them to Ohio coaches and ADs. Factor in if Christmas falls on Friday you lose some valuable days. Also your idea works if you understand that a game canceled for snow will not be made up, a game canceled for a long football run will not be made up. Not many Ohio coaches like playing 3 games in a week multiple times unlike KY coaches who are used to playing 3 games in 3 days.

Last edited by spirit454; 05-29-18 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 07:49 PM
All District

zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Can someone please explain to me, a high school basketball official, what the heck NFHS rules have anything to do with the game limits the OHSAA sets???

Because I can promise you, the NFHS rules don't touch this topic. At all.
Old 05-31-18, 07:32 AM
All Region

OHSAA uses the NFHS as a guideline to govern by but there is no connection to the games in a season.
Old 05-31-18, 12:53 PM
All District

Quote:
OHSAA uses the NFHS as a guideline to govern by but there is no connection to the games in a season.
Iím well aware of this.

Iím referring to the OP implying that the NFHS is the entity that recommended a 24-game season. Thatís simply not true in the slightest. The NFHS writes playing rules, not administrative guidelines for state associations.
Old 05-31-18, 01:46 PM
All Region

We are all well aware of that.
Old 05-31-18, 02:03 PM
All Region

coachablekid is on a distinguished road
It can be done, but you will have to cut down the amount of scrimmages. Most teams will have to play 3 days a week which is cool. Most states play way more than 22 regular season games. It will be doable, but I do feel sorry for those squads that are not good! Going 0 and 24, 1 and 23, 2 and 22 could be really setting up coaches and kids for failure.
Old 05-31-18, 02:20 PM
All District

Quote:
We are all well aware of that.
Clearly not, hence the false premise under which this thread was started...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleadog101 View Post
Since the OHSAA has adopted the NFHS rules and regulationsit is currently recommending a 24 game schedule
Old 05-31-18, 04:33 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebrastripes View Post
I’m well aware of this.

I’m referring to the OP implying that the NFHS is the entity that recommended a 24-game season. That’s simply not true in the slightest. The NFHS writes playing rules, not administrative guidelines for state associations.
I was referring to this, but NFHS provides all kinds of suggestions, classes and courses aside from their rules they provide.

Last edited by spirit454; 05-31-18 at 05:52 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 04:30 PM
All District

trojandave is on a distinguished road
I think a 24 game schedule is very possible, given that there will be more Friday/Saturday games. At Portsmouth, Saturday games only happen a couple of times a season, so there would be room to schedule just 2 more games. Of course with the increase of cancellations and postponements, that might present a problem, especially since conference games normally take precedence over non-conference games. Then there are schools that make long football playoff runs which in turn throws their early season opponents schedule into Plan B. So there are issues concerning a 24 game schedule, but I think adding just 2 more would just take a little adjusting at first.

Remember in football it now takes 5 weeks to win the state title, whereas in years past it only would take 3 games to win it. Football adjusted, though, because I know when I was in school at Portsmouth, the Trojans NEVER played a game before Labor Day. Now our first game is always in August......with still a 10 game schedule.
Old 06-04-18, 10:31 PM
All Region

I don't think anyone said it was impossible to do, only that it would not be done. IF you are not playing many Saturdays it is probably because you are playing a lot of Tuesdays. So the question is does your Coach, AD, Principal want to play 3 days a week.
Old 06-04-18, 11:28 PM
Varsity

1 time is on a distinguished road
If all you want to do is play and not practice much, then turn it into AAU. Also,Most schools will lose money cause very few places have good attendance.
Old 06-07-18, 06:34 AM
All Yappi

catscatscats is on a distinguished road
Question for the fans talking about attendance. What league or area are you referring to? I know in Dayton area (i can mainly speak for gwoc) its hard not to find a packed gym on the weekends

Last edited by catscatscats; 06-07-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 06-09-18, 09:19 AM
All American

Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
For teams that make a long football run in the playoffs when are they going to practice ? 22 games is too many and some schools are not going too pass up playing 24 because they can charge more for season tickets ( one more extra home game ) .