Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-25-18, 08:30 AM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
First state track meet in 1908

Does anyone know if the first state track meet was an invitational with no qualification required. The OHSAA contends that the state track meet was first run at Denison University in 1908 with just 12 schools
participating,

According to information compiled by Craig Whitmore, these are the results. http://personal.bgsu.edu/~jsquire/1908state.pdf

The OHSAA contends on their web site that no individual results or complete team scores is available. http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Tr..._1908-1911.pdf

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-25-18 at 08:42 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-18, 08:44 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
I'm pretty sure the earliest state meets were invitationals. The first few at OSU were held in conjunction with OSU dual meets or something. Following the state meet, the larger schools from my county and the vicinity would get together and have a meet at the county fairgrounds.

I once found an article from the late 1910s or early 1920s where one of the stronger teams from NE Ohio (possibly Salem) was planning to take a pass on the state meet in order to compete at another meet that same weekend in Pittsburgh.

Earliest district meet results I have on file are from Massillon in 1927. The article from that meet stated that teams who won or finished runner-up could enter their entire team in the state meet (Salem and Canton McKinley in Class A, East Palestine and Kent State in Class B). For athletes not on those teams, they had to finish in the top 4 to be eligible to enter the state meet.
Old 05-25-18, 09:37 AM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Does anyone know if the first state track meet was an invitational with no qualification required. The OHSAA contends that the state track meet was first run at Denison University in 1908 with just 12 schools
participating,

According to information compiled by Craig Whitmore, these are the results. http://personal.bgsu.edu/~jsquire/1908state.pdf

The OHSAA contends on their web site that no individual results or complete team scores is available. http://ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sports/Tr..._1908-1911.pdf
I'm convinced OHSAA says such things because no one at OHSAA has done the homework required. The information IS out there within the vaults of various public libraries.

With regard to whether the meet was held as an invitational or not, my research indicates that the question is better put as to who was a member of the fledgling OHSAA, which I think was then called OIAA (Ohio Interscholastic Athletic Association). From my info, they formed in late 1907, and set up the state track & field tournament as their first tournament in 1908. Therefore, membership would've certainly been limited in number. The association slowly grew over the years, as it did in other states, and it wasn't until the mid-1920's that the majority of schools joined. That was certainly true in SW Ohio, with Lockland being the 1st participant in 1921, and then in 1923 Withrow (then, Cincinnati East High) joined in. Hughes won the Class A (large school) title in 1925 on the backs of gold medal performances of John Anderson (SP/DT) who would go on to win the 1932 Olympic title in the discus, and Edward "Goldy" Goldmeyer, winner of the long jump with 22' 4".

For most of the 1st 20 years of the State meet, the meet was held in conjunction with the "Big 6" meet held at OSU. Same facilities, same day. I've got lots of data on those meets as well.

I have scored the 1st State meet, as well as some others (and continuing) and here are the results (attached) along with a few sets of newspaper clippings showing most of the results. Within the attachment, marks in red text are those I haven't confirmed yet; however, most has been confirmed, and the correct names & spellings of names have been confirmed through school yearbooks.

On another note, many large universities in the early part of the 20th century held major interscholastic meets inviting the best athletes from various states to compete in their meets, usually held in May & June of each year (outdoors). The University of Michigan, Chicago, Pennsylvania, and a whole host of others did likewise. These meets continued to have great success until the rise of state associations that began to forbid athletes from competing in those meets and to compete in their respective state tournaments instead, lest the athlete "lose" eligibility. Hence began the decline of national gatherings of HS athletes until the Golden West Invitational began in 1960, inviting only graduated seniors who were no longer under threat. Up until the mid 1980s, the only way HS athletes were able to compete against each other outside of OHSAA was during summer all-comer, invitational & AAU-sponsored meets. There's a whole history book to be written there for anyone wanting to undertake the challenge. The information is out there, but needs someone dedicated to it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1908 - Compiled Newspaper Results.pdf (514.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf 1908 - Columbus North.pdf (284.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: pdf State Meet Results - 1908.pdf (37.5 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by JAVMAN83; 05-25-18 at 09:48 AM..
Old 05-25-18, 09:43 AM
All American

One additional note on the 1908 meet:

The 880 yard run WAS held at the meet, but wasn't reported in either the Ohio State Journal or Columbus Dispatch. I have, however, tracked down the athletes who placed in the race (but not the winning time as yet) through the archives of the Dayton Daily News & Herald Journal.
Old 05-25-18, 09:50 AM
All American

Lancermania,

You'll note that the results in the attachment here are corrected from ones I sent you recently. These account for the correction made after I located the 880 results during the past week. I struggled for a long time accounting for why my scoring of the meet differed from accounts in the newspapers; it was the lack of 880 results that did it, and once I found those, the scoring worked itself out.
Old 05-25-18, 09:59 AM
All American

Here are some other pictures of members of the 1st State Champions, Columbus North (see attachment).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1908 - Columbus North Members.pdf (269.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 05-25-18, 10:35 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
participating,

Found this in my local fishwrap archives with a little extra digging:

Massillon Evening Independent
April 1, 1916

The biggest meet in which the local team will be entered will be held in Columbus May 27, when teams from nearly all the big high schools in the state will compete. This will be the first time the local team has been entered in a state meet.

A Massillon boy would go on to win the 440yd dash at that "state" meet. No evidence of a qualification requirement.

Fast forward to 1924:

May 30, 1924

Some 600 promising high school athletes, the pick of the state of Ohio, were gathered here today for the seventeenth annual Ohio interscholastic track and field championships to be held Saturday in the Ohio Stadium with the Ohio State University as host. Close to 100 high schools have entered teams for the track meets...As an added attraction, Ohio State will oppose Indiana in a dual track meet tomorrow afternoon. The college events will precede the high school competition which, as heretofore, is divided into Classes A and B, based on the size of the schools.

No evidence of a qualification requirement yet.

Getting warmer:

May 8, 1925

...Entry blanks were mailed this week to more than 500 Ohio high schools, members of the OHSAA, who are eligible to nominate teams. As in recent years, the meet will again be divided into two meets - one for the larger schools of 150 or more pupils, and the other for schools with smaller enrollment. The program will be the same for both. The meet will be sponsored as usual by the Ohio State University...Competition this year is limited to actual members of the OHSAA. Entries must be in the mail by May 16. G.M. Trautman, assistant Ohio State athletic director and "daddy" of the Ohio Relays is handling arrangements for the meet.

On to 1926:

A NE District meet is held at the University of Akron's Seiberling Field. According to meet rules, each school can enter up to 3 names in each event, but 1 of the 3 must be scratched 20 minutes before the event is to be run. No competitor could enter more than 3 events, and only 2 of the 3 events could be running events.

And after the NE District Meet:

By virtue of their victory last Saturday at Akron when they won the Northeast Ohio District track and field meet, Washington high is entitled to send its entire team to Columbus Friday to compete in the state scholastic meet which will be held at Ohio State University's stadium Friday and Saturday.

It appears 1926 is the first year for required qualification to the state meet, at least in NE Ohio. Incidentally, I learned another factoid from all of this: Paul Brown, a.k.a. "The Father of Modern Football" was a HS track athlete. He won the broad jump and tied for the pole vault win at the 1926 NE District meet. He ended up placing at the Class A state meet in the pole vault.
http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sport...ys/TF_1926.pdf
Old 05-25-18, 10:50 AM
All Ohio

EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
I'm pretty sure the earliest state meets were invitationals. The first few at OSU were held in conjunction with OSU dual meets or something. Following the state meet, the larger schools from my county and the vicinity would get together and have a meet at the county fairgrounds.

I once found an article from the late 1910s or early 1920s where one of the stronger teams from NE Ohio (possibly Salem) was planning to take a pass on the state meet in order to compete at another meet that same weekend in Pittsburgh.

Earliest district meet results I have on file are from Massillon in 1927. The article from that meet stated that teams who won or finished runner-up could enter their entire team in the state meet (Salem and Canton McKinley in Class A, East Palestine and Kent State in Class B). For athletes not on those teams, they had to finish in the top 4 to be eligible to enter the state meet.

That is great for Salem. And shows just how times have changed in our society. The importance of sport over schooling.

Remember the 1962 Rose Bowl game? Is anyone else as old as me?

1962 Rose Bowl Game was supposed to be Ohio State v. UCLA. But Ohio State players voted not to attend to instead study for the semester finals that same week. The faculty backed the decision of the student athletes.

Just imagine if Ohio State would turn down a Bowl Game in 2019 because the players thought it was more important to study instead of football?
Old 05-25-18, 10:51 AM
All American

Quote:
Found this in my local fishwrap archives with a little extra digging:

April 1, 1916

The biggest meet in which the local team will be entered will be held in Columbus May 27, when teams from nearly all the big high schools in the state will compete. This will be the first time the local team has been entered in a state meet.

A Massillon boy would go on to win the 440yd dash at that "state" meet. No evidence of a qualification requirement.

Fast forward to 1924:

May 30, 1924

Some 600 promising high school athletes, the pick of the state of Ohio, were gathered here today for the seventeenth annual Ohio interscholastic track and field championships to be held Saturday in the Ohio Stadium with the Ohio State University as host. Close to 100 high schools have entered teams for the track meets...As an added attraction, Ohio State will oppose Indiana in a dual track meet tomorrow afternoon. The college events will precede the high school competition which, as heretofore, is divided into Classes A and B, based on the size of the schools.

No evidence of a qualification requirement yet.

Getting warmer:

May 8, 1925

...Entry blanks were mailed this week to more than 500 Ohio high schools, members of the OHSAA, who are eligible to nominate teams. As in recent years, the meet will again be divided into two meets - one for the larger schools of 150 or more pupils, and the other for schools with smaller enrollment. The program will be the same for both. The meet will be sponsored as usual by the Ohio State University...Competition this year is limited to actual members of the OHSAA. Entries must be in the mail by May 16. G.M. Trautman, assistant Ohio State athletic director and "daddy" of the Ohio Relays is handling arrangements for the meet.

On to 1926:

A NE District meet is held at the University of Akron's Seiberling Field. According to meet rules, each school can enter up to 3 names in each event, but 1 of the 3 must be scratched 20 minutes before the event is to be run. No competitor could enter more than 3 events, and only 2 of the 3 events could be running events.

And after the NE District Meet:

By virtue of their victory last Saturday at Akron when they won the Northeast Ohio District track and field meet, Washington high is entitled to send its entire team to Columbus Friday to compete in the state scholastic meet which will be held at Ohio State University's stadium Friday and Saturday.

It appears 1926 is the first year for required qualification to the state meet, at least in NE Ohio. Incidentally, I learned another factoid from all of this: Paul Brown, a.k.a. "The Father of Modern Football" was a HS track athlete. He won the broad jump and tied for the pole vault win at the 1926 NE District meet. He ended up placing at the Class A state meet in the pole vault.
http://www.ohsaa.org/Portals/0/Sport...ys/TF_1926.pdf

Nice info. However, I am very leery about old newspaper accounts. I try whenever possible to look for back-up information to corroborate the info.

I do know that there were qualification meets earlier than 1926. The SW Ohio district meet held at Oxford starting in 1923 served as a qualifier, with the top 2 athletes/teams per event qualifying to the State competition. The Oxford district meet had been a Tri-State (OH/KY/IN) invitational in years prior to 1923, but that meet went away with the instituting of the district meet in 1923. It quickly grew to top 3 athletes/teams, and the ENTIRE team from the top 2 scoring teams at district qualifying to the State meet. Hence, there are athletes that competed and scored in the State meet that NEVER competed in the same event, let alone score in, at their respective district meet.

I also have information indicating where other district meets were held in some of the early years, but that research is ongoing. I might be able to post that info at a later date.
Old 05-25-18, 11:02 AM
All American

Here's another item that OHSAA doesn't list, but DID HAPPEN.

During the years 1926-1928, there was a Class C meet held in conjuction with Class A & B. The Class C teams were "county" teams that were comprised of the team winners of their respective county meets and a handful of athletes from other smaller schools that couldn't field a team at either A or B levels. Some teams that competed in Class B at their respective district meets chose to compete as Class C if they had won their respective county meet. I've got most of the results of those Class C meets, and am working towards a full accounting.

Another interesting State meet note not mentioned by OHSAA is that for the years 1928-1931, there were TWO (2) sections of the 880 yard run at the State meet in both classes, and BOTH sections counted equally in the scoring (5,4,3,2,1 - 1928-30; 6,4,3,2,1 - 1931). Class C in 1928 had only one section. The results on OHSAA's website don't account for that information because no one there is either aware of that or no one has done the research. A quick scoring of many of the early meets will show discrepancies between scores and the listed placers.
Old 05-25-18, 11:05 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuclidandViren View Post
Just imagine if Ohio State would turn down a Bowl Game in 2019 because the players thought it was more important to study instead of football?

Imagine the fan bases reaction!
Old 05-25-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Nice info. However, I am very leery about old newspaper accounts. I try whenever possible to look for back-up information to corroborate the info.

I do know that there were qualification meets earlier than 1926. The SW Ohio district meet held at Oxford starting in 1923 served as a qualifier, with the top 2 athletes/teams per event qualifying to the State competition. The Oxford district meet had been a Tri-State (OH/KY/IN) invitational in years prior to 1923, but that meet went away with the instituting of the district meet in 1923. It quickly grew to top 3 athletes/teams, and the ENTIRE team from the top 2 scoring teams at district qualifying to the State meet. Hence, there are athletes that competed and scored in the State meet that NEVER competed in the same event, let alone score in, at their respective district meet.

I also have information indicating where other district meets were held in some of the early years, but that research is ongoing. I might be able to post that info at a later date.
I share some of your doubts, but it's all I can get my hands on right now via newspaper archives that I can access for free online with my local library card. It is also possible that qualification was required before 1926 in NE Ohio, but the local schools didn't participate in the district meet, so it went unreported.

1923 seems very plausible to me. Interest in the sport likely grew to the point that OHSAA divided things into Classes A and B in 1921. Interest kept growing, so the need for qualification requirements was probably not too far behind.
Old 05-25-18, 11:10 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
Imagine the fan bases reaction!
If fans actually cared about the athletes' lives, then they would back their decision to study vs. play a game. Given how few sign pro contracts, and then that some 80% are broke quickly after their pro careers are finished, then studying should always take precedence.

If such a thing were to happen, it would signal a return to a saner society.
Old 05-25-18, 11:12 AM
All American

Quote:
I share some of your doubts, but it's all I can get my hands on right now via newspaper archives that I can access for free online with my local library card. It is also possible that qualification was required before 1926 in NE Ohio, but the local schools didn't participate in the district meet, so it went unreported.

1923 seems very plausible to me. Interest in the sport likely grew to the point that OHSAA divided things into Classes A and B in 1921. Interest kept growing, so the need for qualification requirements was probably not too far behind.
I understand an empathize with your predicament. Same as mine, and I'm 8 years into my research with no end in sight.
Old 05-25-18, 11:29 AM
Lancers lead the way!

On the state history link, it says this: The state track meet was first run at Denison University in 1908 moving to Ohio Wesleyan University the next year. The meet then relocated to the campus of Ohio State University in 1910"

Now in a news release today, Tim Stried says this: "The event was first held at Denison University in 1908, then at Ohio Wesleyan University from 1909-1923, and then at Ohio Stadium from 1924-1998. When the track was removed from Ohio Stadium in 1999, the state meet was held at Dayton Welcome Stadium from 1999-2003".

So which is correct? When did the state meet go to Ohio stadium, 1910 or 1924?

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-25-18 at 11:45 AM..
Old 05-25-18, 12:02 PM
All American

I can tell you for a FACT that the following is true:

1908 - Denison
1909 - Delaware (I was just there in April and confirmed this through 1909 newspapers)
1910-1923 - Ohio Field (OSU)
1924-1998 (except for 1970) - Ohio Stadium
1970 - Gahanna Lincoln
1999-2003 (which you and I know well) - Welcome Stadium, Dayton
2004-present - Jesse Owens Stadium

I don't know who Tim Stried is, but he obviously either is just a spokesmen reading from script, or someone who is talking out his ... and hasn't done his homework.

Also, I have all the results from the 1908-1926 meets, and they can be found in both the Ohio State Journal and Columbus Dispatch newspapers, which are available publicly on the 3rd floor of the downtown Columbus Library. Take it to the bank.
Old 05-25-18, 12:25 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I can tell you for a FACT that the following is true:

1908 - Denison
1909 - Delaware (I was just there in April and confirmed this through 1909 newspapers)
1970 - Gahanna Lincoln
1999-2003 (which you and I know well) - Welcome Stadium, Dayton

I don't know who Tim Stried is, but he obviously either is just a spokesmen reading from script, or someone who is talking out his ... and hasn't done his homework.

Also, I have all the results from the 1908-1926 meets, and they can be found in both the Ohio State Journal and Columbus Dispatch newspapers, which are available publicly on the 3rd floor of the downtown Columbus Library. Take it to the bank.
Tim Stried is the OHSAA's Director of Communications. Prior to that, he worked in the athletics communications office at OSU.

Any chance you have any state meet prelim results from say 1959 to 2000? I'm trying to figure out the performances and placements for some of my school's qualifiers who did not place or make the finals. Some I have, some I don't. My excavations of the local newspaper microfilms have yielded all they can. I tried to visit OHSAA headquarters last year on the day before the state meet to see if there was anything there, but the place was closed.
Old 05-25-18, 12:38 PM
All American

What school, if I might ask? I have some, but certainly not all from those years. My research has been focused on the early years as those are the most difficult to come by and confirm through multiple resources.

With regard to Mr. Stried, I have a feeling he is just being fed information that is faulty to begin with. OHSAA would do themselves a favor and actually go to the downtown library for a change. Much of the information is there, and a lot more is available state-wide in other libraries.

In looking at OHSAA's information, I have a feeling that some of it was provided by Craig Whitmore, who was a great researcher, but I've found some of his stuff on the State meet was lacking or wrong. Not through his own doing, but in not following up for back-up confirmation. He was an incredibly dedicated historian of Ohio track and field, but any historian is limited to available resources of his/her day. Today's resources are greater than he had availability to and time-wise back in the day. I'm trying to expand on those results, confirm/deny through my own independent research, then publish from time-to-time. I hope to publish as complete a compendium of the 1908-1929 state meets sometime in 2019. I don't think I'll have all the first names of athletes nailed down, but most, and as correct a spelling as available to me. What is unfortunate, though, is that beyond first place, 2nd-5th place times/heights/distances are generally not published except for occasional remarks made in respective local newspapers with regard to their local athlete. Anyway, I am trying to at least confirm the winning marks and names through multiple resources, and confirm the team scores against the listed placers. I've done that for the 1908-1910 meets presently, and should have up to 1920 done later this summer.
Old 05-25-18, 12:42 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
What school, if I might ask? I have some, but certainly not all from those years. My research has been focused on the early years as those are the most difficult to come by and confirm through multiple resources.

With regard to Mr. Stried, I have a feeling he is just being fed information that is faulty to begin with. OHSAA would do themselves a favor and actually go to the downtown library for a change. Much of the information is there, and a lot more is available state-wide in other libraries.

In looking at OHSAA's information, I have a feeling that some of it was provided by Craig Whitmore, who was a great researcher, but I've found some of his stuff on the State meet was lacking or wrong, not through his own doing, but in not following up for back-up confirmation. He was an incredibly dedicated historian of Ohio track and field, but any historian, is limited to available resources of his/her day. Today's resources are greater than he had availability to and time-wise back in the day. I'm trying to expand on those results, confirm/deny through my own independent research, then publish from time-to-time. I hope to publish as complete a compendium of the 1908-1929 state meets sometime in 2019. I don't think I'll have all the first names of athletes nailed down, but most, and as correct a spelling as available to me. What is unfortunate, though, is that beyond first place, 2nd-5th place times/heights/distances are generally not published except for occasional remarks made in respective local newspapers with regard to their local athlete. Anyway, I am trying to at least confirm the winning marks and names through multiple resources, and confirm the team scores against the listed placers. I've done that for the 1908-1910 meets presently, and should have up to 1920 done later this summer.
I'll PM you later tonight with a more specific list of what I'm lacking.
Old 05-25-18, 01:20 PM
All American

OK...I'll see what I can find for you.
Old 05-25-18, 01:31 PM
All American

Lest anyone, including OHSAA, think I'm just talking out my rear end with regard to locations of the early state meets, I've attached the following documents that shows photos of both the newspaper date and a clip of the article from that date stating SPECIFICALLY that the meet in question was held at:

1908 - Granville
1909 - Delaware
1910-1923 - OHIO FIELD
1924 - OHIO STADIUM

The OHSAA spokesman is wrong. His information is wrong.
Old 05-25-18, 01:42 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Here is the information that went out to all media persons today.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ta...397d799761ec85
Old 05-25-18, 02:48 PM
All American

Quote:
Here is the information that went out to all media persons today.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ta...397d799761ec85
Can't read it.
Old 05-25-18, 04:03 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
I'm trying to copy and paste from an article from May 25th, 1908 Dayton Herald from newspapers.com. I've not been successful so I'll summarize the article. Harry Wise of Steele won the 100 in 10.15 equaling the collegiate time at the Big Six, he also won the 220 in 23.45 and placed second in the high in 5'3". Chester Poe of Steele placed second (of 27 starters) to Kellar of Pleasantville High in the 880, no time given. Steele placed second of 23 teams, 3points behind Columbus North in the annual Ohio High School Athletic Association meet held at Denison.
Old 05-25-18, 06:22 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLS View Post
I'm trying to copy and paste from an article from May 25th, 1908 Dayton Herald from newspapers.com. I've not been successful so I'll summarize the article. Harry Wise of Steele won the 100 in 10.15 equaling the collegiate time at the Big Six, he also won the 220 in 23.45 and placed second in the high in 5'3". Chester Poe of Steele placed second (of 27 starters) to Kellar of Pleasantville High in the 880, no time given. Steele placed second of 23 teams, 3points behind Columbus North in the annual Ohio High School Athletic Association meet held at Denison.
I'll have it for you tomorrow.

Regarding the marks you mentioned above, the timing of the day was in 1/5 seconds, not 1/10, or 1/100. Mechanical stop watches sold and used up till about the 1924 state meet were all in 1/5 seconds. So, Harry Wise time is actually 10 1/5 seconds (10.2), and his 220 time was 23 4/5 seconds (23.8). I saw the very same article you've found on newspapers.com at the library last week. Unfortunately I forgot my camera (I use a camera to take thousands of screen shots while at the microfilm readers) last week, but will remember it tomorrow. I'll cut/paste it here tomorrow.
Old 05-26-18, 06:18 AM
Lancers lead the way!

I got a news release from the Ohio High School Athletic Association at 10:58 a.m. yesterday May 25. It came from Tim Stried who is listed as the Director of Communications for the OHSAA. It was sent out to all media outlets in the state of Ohio. I got it because I have requested and received media credentials for the state Track & Field Championships on behalf of the Southwest Ohio Track and Cross Country Coaches Association. The part of the release which has been questioned on this web site is the part about the state Track & Field tournament notes whereby it is listed the sites where the state meet has been held prior to this year. As a member of the media group that received the release, I will take it upon myself to send corrected information to Tim Stried, Director of Communications, for the Ohio High School Athletic Association. I will also include the documented evidence provided by JAVMAN83 in the email. i am assuming that Tim Stried is open to corrected information since he included his email in the press release. Any feedback prior to sending out this information is welcomed from the Yappi faithful.
Old 05-26-18, 06:37 AM
All American

Quote:
I got a news release from the Ohio High School Athletic Association at 10:58 a.m. yesterday May 25. It came from Tim Stried who is listed as the Director of Communications for the OHSAA. It was sent out to all media outlets in the state of Ohio. I got it because I have requested and received media credentials for the state Track & Field Championships on behalf of the Southwest Ohio Track and Cross Country Coaches Association. The part of the release which has been questioned on this web site is the part about the state Track & Field tournament notes whereby it is listed the sites where the state meet has been held prior to this year. As a member of the media group that received the release, I will take it upon myself to send corrected information to Tim Stried, Director of Communications, for the Ohio High School Athletic Association. I will also include the documented evidence provided by JAVMAN83 in the email. i am assuming that Tim Stried is open to corrected information since he included his email in the press release. Any feedback prior to sending out this information is welcomed from the Yappi faithful.
Kudos to you, and enjoy your press credentials!!!
Old 05-26-18, 06:45 AM
Lancers lead the way!

This is the timeline I will present to Tim Stried.

1908 - Denison University in Granville
1909 - Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware
1970 - Gahanna Lincoln High School (Columbus)
1999-2003 - Welcome Stadium, Dayton
Old 05-26-18, 07:17 AM
All American

Quote:
This is the timeline I will present to Tim Stried.

1908 - Denison University in Granville
1909 - Ohio Wesleyan University in Delaware
1970 - Gahanna Lincoln High School (Columbus)
1999-2003 - Welcome Stadium, Dayton
Yep!

Interesting thing about Ohio Stadium - It was originally called "the house that Harley built" in tribute to "Chic" Harley, a famed football player at OSU during the WWI era. Harley also made his mark on the old Ohio Field track having placed in both the 100 yard & 220 yard dashes between 1913-1915 on behalf of his Columbus East team. His exploits on the football field, however, is where he made his real mark. Unfortunately, it may have also been his undoing, along with a year spent overseas in WWI, as he developed severe mental issues just after his college days. He might have been an early example of PTSD & CTE that wouldn't have been diagnosed in those days except for the label of "shell shock". Very sad story.

Anyway, yes, that is the correct timeline. I've even pulled some old photos of Ohio Field from OSU's online archives. See the attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003716_0.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	2317   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003717_0.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	2318   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003721_0.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	2319   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003722_0.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2320   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003726_0.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	2321  

Old 05-26-18, 07:19 AM
All American

More photos of Ohio Field with some track events going on (I believe these are collegiate athletes)

Once again, all credit is given to the online archives of OSU.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003727_0.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	2322   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003728_0.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	2323   Click image for larger version

Name:	05_0003729_0.jpg
Views:	22