Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-27-18, 01:34 PM
Lancers lead the way!

Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Mr. Slippery is the proofreader for JAVMAN83/Lancermania who never noticed that Adams was spelled differently (Addams) meaning it wasn't the same school.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-27-18, 02:44 PM
All American

JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
Mr. Slippery is the proofreader for JAVMAN83/Lancermania who never noticed that Adams was spelled differently (Addams) meaning it wasn't the same school.
I did pick up on that, but I had no idea such a school came to fruition. WOW.
Old 05-27-18, 03:01 PM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
I did pick up on that, but I had no idea such a school came to fruition. WOW.
As best I an tell, the school has been around awhile. It began as the Girls' Opportunity School in the '20s or '30s (basically a place to learn the 3 Rs and take Home Ec.. courses) and was later renamed in honor of Nobel Peace Prize winner Jane Addams. Males began to gain admission in the 1980s, and state certified vocational programs were added. The school doesn't have the athletic history that have helped others around Ohio to learn the names of some Cleveland public HSs (ex. Glenville, East Tech, Collinwood, John F. Kennedy, etc).
Old 05-27-18, 04:48 PM
All American

Altor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
It is Article 3-3-4 and 3-3-5 in the OHSAA's Constitution. I never knew it existed either until this fall when 8 more schools were placed on probation and were ineligible for postseason competition - Cleveland Collinwood was the most notable of them.
Sorry Mr. Slippery, I wasn't very clear. I knew there was a minimum sport requirement. What I was referring to was the ruling that he could compete, but could not score team points. That's a very unusual ruling given the emphasis they put on the fact that you can't have exhibition competition in track and field or cross country.
Old 05-27-18, 05:22 PM
Lancers lead the way!

How is he then scoring points at both the district and regional for Oyler
Old 05-27-18, 06:15 PM
All District

SLS is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I just sent an email to Ricky's coach Ray Nephew about the situation.
The one I sent to OHSAA bounced back to me.
Old 05-27-18, 06:16 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
Sorry Mr. Slippery, I wasn't very clear. I knew there was a minimum sport requirement. What I was referring to was the ruling that he could compete, but could not score team points. That's a very unusual ruling given the emphasis they put on the fact that you can't have exhibition competition in track and field or cross country.
Got it. On your last sentence, I agree. Competing in the tournament but not scoring team points should never have been on the table.

He should either be allowed to compete and score team points in accordance with the NFHS rulebook as he appears to be doing now, or he shouldn't be allowed to compete at all which is the penalty that the OHSAA levied against the 8 schools that failed to meet the OHSAA's membership requirements during the fall sports season.
Old 05-27-18, 06:20 PM
Lancers lead the way!

I thought Oyler was placed on probation for not fielding at least two teams in the winter sports season not the fall
Old 05-27-18, 06:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
I thought Oyler was placed on probation for not fielding at least two teams in the winter sports season not the fall
I don't know when exactly Oyler was placed on probation. I've combed the OHSAA Board minutes and cannot find Oyler mentioned in them under the "infractions" section. I shall look again.

Oyler was not one of the 8 schools placed on probation in January for failure to comply during the fall season that I was referring to in my previous post. My point is that the OHSAA ruled that those 8 schools are not allowed to compete in any OHSAA postseason tournaments until after next school year (NEO College Prep has a track team this spring but could not compete in the tournament), and they must re-apply for OHSAA membership. If Oyler failed to meet the same membership requirements as those 8 schools, then Oyler should have faced the same penalty, and the athlete should not be able to compete in the tournament at all. I have nothing against the young man, and it's not his fault that his school may not have met the requirements of its OHSAA membership, but the punishment should be enforced even if it hurts him. If Oyler violated some other rule or condition, then let's hear about it.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 05-27-18 at 06:52 PM..
Old 05-30-18, 07:06 AM
Freshman

Soul Provider is on a distinguished road
Congratulations to this young man for facing the adversity to run as a one man team.