Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-30-18, 01:18 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
1995 USA Today National Football Champion was St. Ignatius. Not sure if that's what the pot-striiring poster was referring to earlier, but Chuck Kyle's squad was the poll champ that year.

Curious how many total Akron area CYO football kids are moving on to play freshman football at one of STVM, Hoban, Walsh or CVCA. Akron CYO football participation at the 8th grade level was at an all-time low last year, as has been the trend for the past few years, so, sadly, the pool could not have been deep.
If he's an Iggy grad, Iggy is doing an awful job of teaching Jesuit principles.
Old 05-30-18, 01:27 PM
All District

team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football330 View Post
Both Coventry,Manchester and Mogadore are all coached very well. They are all what makes High School Football in the state of Ohio great. Don't get into debates with people who claim to be Hoban backers.
For god's sake the coach with the most wins in the history of Ohio coaches at Manchester.
In arguably one of the weakest small school leagues.
Old 05-30-18, 01:30 PM
All American

Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
They are recruiting, yes. They are trying to steal all the talent they can get to win that all important CYO championship.
LOL! Well, you'd better be recruiting basketball players because there are only a couple of 8th CYO football teams left in Summit County. What a dramatic decrease from just 5-10 years ago!
Old 05-30-18, 01:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
1995 USA Today National Football Champion was St. Ignatius. Not sure if that's what the pot-striiring poster was referring to earlier, but Chuck Kyle's squad was the poll champ that year.

Curious how many total Akron area CYO football kids are moving on to play freshman football at one of STVM, Hoban, Walsh or CVCA. Akron CYO football participation at the 8th grade level was at an all-time low last year, as has been the trend for the past few years, so, sadly, the pool could not have been deep.
I agree with you about the state of CYO football in Summit County. It's been WAY down. When my son was in 8th grade just 8 years ago, there were 8-10 Summit County CYO football teams in the 8th grade. This past year there were what, two? three? With the decreasing enrollments and the concussion issue hanging over football in general, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.
Old 05-30-18, 02:03 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
What can I do to sway you to become a booster for Mogadore football? We haven't been good since the 70's
You must not be that good of a booster or a fan. Mogadore was a state champion in 1996 and 2002; and were runner up in 2000, 2001, and 2015.

Chuck Moore was pretty darn special...you should do some research on him. Their 61-58 win over St Henry in triple overtime in 1996 was probably one of the best championship games ever. Moore went on to win 4 more National Championships at Mount Union at their tailback.

Not good since the 70's.....c'mon.
Old 05-30-18, 02:11 PM
All American

CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
LOL! Well, you'd better be recruiting basketball players because there are only a couple of 8th CYO football teams left in Summit County. What a dramatic decrease from just 5-10 years ago!
So whats the reason for the decline? Are more of those kids getting into soccer and cross country? Or are they playing youth sports for their local public schools?
Old 05-30-18, 02:27 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
So whats the reason for the decline? Are more of those kids getting into soccer and cross country? Or are they playing youth sports for their local public schools?
The primary reason is that most of the Catholic grade schools are dying on the vine.
Old 05-30-18, 02:31 PM
All Ohio

brian
Quote:
I agree with you about the state of CYO football in Summit County. It's been WAY down. When my son was in 8th grade just 8 years ago, there were 8-10 Summit County CYO football teams in the 8th grade. This past year there were what, two? three? With the decreasing enrollments and the concussion issue hanging over football in general, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.
Agreed. The numbers in Akron took a dive after the 2012 and 2013 seasons and the entire Cleveland Diocese has seen a sharp decline in football numbers since then as well. At the risk of taking this thread too far from its intended subject, CYO is at least proactively making an effort to reverse the trend at the lower levels by offering Rookie Tackle Football a the 4th and 5th grade levels (leading into regular 11-man in 6-8). Akron actually used this format in the 2000's, featuring 7 players/side, no special teams, a narrower field and an overall emphasis on proper tackling and technique. Every youth league is combating the concussion epidemic and this idea is directly addressing that concern. Whether or not this approach helps CYO's numbers remains to be seen, but at least the effort is in place.
Old 05-30-18, 03:51 PM
All Region

Paydirt is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
Well said, I hope you guys compete with Hoban this year. These blowouts are getting old
Is Martavian Johnson playing this year?
Old 05-30-18, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

If a high school program in Summit County plans to chart it's course with area CYO players, they're in for a lot of misery. It's not 1998. The CYO kids are great solid kids and a nice core for a team, but the top teams are attracting well beyond the CYO kids.

I think it's odd that CYO is looking to move tackle to younger ages while many other programs are going in the other direction. I like the people who have been associated with Summit County CYO over the years, but when the Diocese forced the Cuyahoga/Summit CYO consolidation they did Summit County CYO athletes and schools no favors. Hopefully, the recent change at the top of diocesan CYO will remedy some of the damage that was done.

Schools like Mogadore and Manchester have plenty to be proud of. Their tradition makes responding to internet trolls beneath them.

Last edited by clarkgriswold; 05-30-18 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 07:36 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
If a high school program in Summit County plans to chart it's course with area CYO players, they're in for a lot of misery. It's not 1998. The CYO kids are great solid kids, but generally not the difference makers.

I think it's odd that CYO is looking to move tackle to younger ages while many other programs are going in the other direction. I like the people who have been associated with Summit County CYO over the years, but when the Diocese forced the Cuyahoga/Summit CYO consolidation they did Summit County CYO athletes and schools no favors. Hopefully, the recent change at the top of diocesan CYO will remedy some of the damage that was done.

Schools like Mogadore and Manchester have plenty to be proud of. Their tradition makes responding to internet trolls beneath them.
I wholeheartedly agree that the merger was a disaster for Summit County CYO. I was involved in those discussions when that went down. And, let's just say, you didn't need a crystal ball to see what was going to happen. The merger was forced upon Summit County without our input. All kinds of rules changes, etc. were forced upon us that we didn't agree with. Cleveland CYO held meeting after meeting with AD's "to discuss how to consolidate the programs and to negotiate uniform rules going forward". These meetings inevitably broke down into shouting matches with the Cleveland people telling us we were going to do things their way and just have to learn to live with it. If I sound like I'm still bitter about it after all these years, well, I am. It was a money grab by Cleveland CYO pure and simple. I'm not saying this led to the demise of CYO athletics in Summit County, but it surely was a contributing factor.

Last edited by Irish60; 05-30-18 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-30-18, 09:38 PM
All American

I ran cross country for St Pauls, for CYO. We went to merging with Cuyahoga County CYO around my 7th grade year. Our championship meet prior to that was held at Walsh. After, it was held at Hudson Springs. That was my first exposure to all those teams from Cleveland. It was evident to me, based on the kinds of equipment those Cleveland teams had versus the Summit County teams, that the Cleveland teams were far better funded and equipped. It is easy to see why CYO sports deteriorated in cross country, given the disparity. To this day, I would argue that a kid from summit county is better off running cross country for Woodridge middle school then virtually any cyo program in the entirety of northeast ohio. I know this is a different sport, but it seems like the same idea.
Old 05-30-18, 09:42 PM
All American

So this all begs the question. Which schools had the advantage with youth development? the catholic schools with their cyo, or the public schools and their respective youth programs?
Old 05-31-18, 07:17 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree that the merger was a disaster for Summit County CYO. I was involved in those discussions when that went down. And, let's just say, you didn't need a crystal ball to see what was going to happen. The merger was forced upon Summit County without our input. All kinds of rules changes, etc. were forced upon us that we didn't agree with. Cleveland CYO held meeting after meeting with AD's "to discuss how to consolidate the programs and to negotiate uniform rules going forward". These meetings inevitably broke down into shouting matches with the Cleveland people telling us we were going to do things their way and just have to learn to live with it. If I sound like I'm still bitter about it after all these years, well, I am. It was a money grab by Cleveland CYO pure and simple. I'm not saying this led to the demise of CYO athletics in Summit County, but it surely was a contributing factor.
Brother, we need to talk some time. LOL.
Old 05-31-18, 09:03 AM
All American

Quote:
Brother, we need to talk some time. LOL.
And the worst part about it is that they didn't even buy us dinner first!
Old 05-31-18, 09:28 AM
All Region

DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Gerry Faust was at STVM’s senior class graduation. His influence will help STVM in the long run.

Crazy how it’s a total 180 with him being pro Hoban to pro STVM.
Old 05-31-18, 09:42 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Gerry Faust was at STVMís senior class graduation. His influence will help STVM in the long run.

Crazy how itís a total 180 with him being pro Hoban to pro STVM.
What is so crazy about this? I have no idea about his connection with Hoban, but I know he has a few grandchildren who have attended STVM. It's not all about the football rivalry, dude!!!
Old 05-31-18, 09:53 AM
All Region

Quote:
What is so crazy about this? I have no idea about his connection with Hoban, but I know he has a few grandchildren who have attended STVM. It's not all about the football rivalry, dude!!!
well...obviously!
Old 05-31-18, 02:08 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Gerry Faust was at STVMís senior class graduation. His influence will help STVM in the long run.

Crazy how itís a total 180 with him being pro Hoban to pro STVM.
Unless 83 year old Jerry shares the decades old secret Moeller recipe to get kids from all over the country to come to your school to play football, I don't see him much helping the football program. Great guy, but I don't see him having much of an impact on football.
Old 05-31-18, 02:45 PM
All Region

Quote:
Unless 83 year old Jerry shares the decades old secret Moeller recipe to get kids from all over the country to come to your school to play football, I don't see him much helping the football program. Great guy, but I don't see him having much of an impact on football.
I was not referring to football. He was a factor with STVM becoming a Marianist school.
Old 05-31-18, 04:12 PM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
This thread deteriorated quickly. Can someone start a Hoban or SVSM thread for 2018?
Old 05-31-18, 04:29 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
This thread deteriorated quickly. Can someone start a Hoban or SVSM thread for 2018?
Only a true masochist would start a Hoban thread (I did it last year and still haven't recovered).
Old 05-31-18, 04:37 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by the123kidz View Post
LOL! You want to see this thread take a REAL downward spiral!?! OK, here we go! The way Rusty Anchor talks about the 1995 national title team (as voted on in the polls), you'd think he was a Massillon fan!!!
Old 05-31-18, 04:56 PM
All American

Quote:
LOL! You want to see this thread take a REAL downward spiral!?! OK, here we go! The way Rusty Anchor talks about the 1995 national title team (as voted on in the polls), you'd think he was a Massillon fan!!!
The final bullet in this thread...
Old 05-31-18, 10:36 PM
All American

StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
Responding to the Lumberman. No one is transferring to Hoban from STVM. The other transfers were were all basketball motivated and only one starter and none to Hoban. The Irish did well with St Sebs and a quality incoming 2022 class. Hoban will contend for the 2018 D2 football title. STVM will contend for the D3 Football Title and a 3rd consecutive State Basketball title.
Old 06-01-18, 07:47 AM
All Ohio

smash mouth 34
1. Hoban
2. Hudson
3. St. V
4. Stow
5. Copley
6. East
7. Buchtel
8. Barberton
9. Tallmadge
10. Green
Old 06-03-18, 05:51 PM
All Ohio

buckeye53 is on a distinguished road
Has Akron area Catholic school enrollment fell that much ? When I was at St.Paul, many years ago, each grade had 4 classes of 40+ students. When we moved to Stow, Holy Family had a waiting list.The CYO football program was strong, and fed Catholic and Public high schools. I think their were 12 schools running both junior varsity and varsity teams. St.Paul, St.V, St.Mary, St.Peters, St.Sebastian, St.Hillary, St.Martha, St.Barnabas, Annunciation, St. Joe, Holy Family, and 1 slips my mind. Back to the subject at hand. With no absolutes, I’m guessing it will be the same programs once again at the helm. Hoban looks like the team to beat, as they return some solid talent. The next 2, St.V and Stow will be of interest, with new coaches taking over, will the transition be smooth, as both of these teams should be talented. Hudson is always fundamentally sound. Tallmadge seemed to be improving quite a bit last year, but I have no idea what they return. Copley’s program is always sound. Barberton could be an interesting watch. After losing a coach and a talented senior class, will the winning ways of the last 2 years provide the confidence the returning players will need, to have a successful season. Just on reputation alone, Buchtel should one of the better City Series teams. Will East continue their rise and will Ellet rebound ? Time will tell. Woodridge lost a lot of talent, but they seem to every year, but always field a winning squad. Moggy is just Moggy, small school football at its best. I’m sure there will be some surprises, it’s too bad, we have to wait another 3 months to find out. Here’s wishing you all a fun and safe Summer. GO IRISH !

Last edited by buckeye53; 06-03-18 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-03-18, 08:29 PM
All District

Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Rumor has it that 10 students from Hoban were expelled. I wonít go into the reason as itís not appropriate to share in this forum. 3 girls and 7 boys. Any football players involved?
Old 06-03-18, 09:11 PM
All Region

Bobby77 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football Fan 1 View Post
Rumor has it that 10 students from Hoban were expelled. I wonít go into the reason as itís not appropriate to share in this forum. 3 girls and 7 boys. Any football players involved?
This was an ugly twitter/internet rumor that is mostly false and yes itís not appropriate to bring up on any forum because some ugly lies were told about under age kids. I have seen the attempts by multiple posters to bring this up and they are pathetic losers for doing so.
Old 06-03-18, 09:39 PM
Junior Varsity

Bucksfan1 is on a distinguished road
Martavian Johnson has a great freshman year. Expect big things out of him this season.