Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 05-29-18, 10:21 PM
StarstoShine StarstoShine is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-07-03
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,540
StarstoShine is on a distinguished road
1995 National title team? Not Football & Basketball ? Majority of CYO players are headed to STVM. A few legacy kids to Hoban. Hoban has several incoming Football Transfers. This year Hoban & STVM should be a classic as both teams as favorites in their respective divisions.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 05-30-18, 05:49 AM
brian brian is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-03
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 532
brian
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
1995 National title team? Not Football & Basketball ? Majority of CYO players are headed to STVM. A few legacy kids to Hoban. Hoban has several incoming Football Transfers. This year Hoban & STVM should be a classic as both teams as favorites in their respective divisions.
1995 USA Today National Football Champion was St. Ignatius. Not sure if that's what the pot-striiring poster was referring to earlier, but Chuck Kyle's squad was the poll champ that year.

Curious how many total Akron area CYO football kids are moving on to play freshman football at one of STVM, Hoban, Walsh or CVCA. Akron CYO football participation at the 8th grade level was at an all-time low last year, as has been the trend for the past few years, so, sadly, the pool could not have been deep.
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 05-30-18, 05:52 AM
Cougarfan22 Cougarfan22 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-27-16
Posts: 800
Cougarfan22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarstoShine View Post
1995 National title team? Not Football & Basketball ? Majority of CYO players are headed to STVM. A few legacy kids to Hoban. Hoban has several incoming Football Transfers. This year Hoban & STVM should be a classic as both teams as favorites in their respective divisions.
Glad to know you have the incoming roster of kids coming into Hoban. I do not believe your statement that majority of CYO players are going to ST V. I would say the opposite is true. According to what I am hearing, Hoban has close to 70-80 incoming freshman football players and will have to field 2 teams. Thatís not transfers. I heards 1 St V player was transferring to Hoban and maybe a kid from G.O. I heard of multiple (at least 4) players who contributed last year to St V were leaving for public districts, Barberton and MCK and 1 other. The Hoban-St V game is always a classic but the streak will continue for the Blue and Gold for the foreseeable future.
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 05-30-18, 07:17 AM
team all in team all in is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-15
Posts: 240
team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
I think when compiling the list of teams, no team past D3 should even be considered. They play a soft schedule, cry about catholic schools yet a majority of them have open enroll (mogadore, manchester, etc..) and they aren't very good to be honest. Are we trying to find the best teams or make everyone feel warm and fuzzy like a t-ball team?
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 05-30-18, 07:23 AM
team all in team all in is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-15
Posts: 240
team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Anchor View Post
I am a proud member of the 1995 national title team. I live in Akron now and support the Archbishop Hoban Knights. I am one of their leading boosters and housers on recruiting visits, if you really need to know.
What can I do to sway you to become a booster for Mogadore football? We haven't been good since the 70's
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 05-30-18, 07:28 AM
Youngguy Youngguy is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 08-28-17
Posts: 281
Youngguy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
I think when compiling the list of teams, no team past D3 should even be considered. They play a soft schedule, cry about catholic schools yet a majority of them have open enroll (mogadore, manchester, etc..) and they aren't very good to be honest. Are we trying to find the best teams or make everyone feel warm and fuzzy like a t-ball team?
And there it is! LOL.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 05-30-18, 07:33 AM
team all in team all in is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-15
Posts: 240
team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
I LOL when I have to hear and listen to people say teams from the PTC or PAC should be a top 10 team..
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 05-30-18, 07:41 AM
team all in team all in is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-15
Posts: 240
team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
who on this list would any of the d4-d7 schools have beaten?.. Again, proves my point that you guys want sorry teams on this list and not truly the best teams
Stow
Hoban
Hudson
Barberton
Green
Copley
St V
Tallmadge
Buchtel
East
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 05-30-18, 11:32 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarfan22 View Post
Glad to know you have the incoming roster of kids coming into Hoban. I do not believe your statement that majority of CYO players are going to ST V. I would say the opposite is true. According to what I am hearing, Hoban has close to 70-80 incoming freshman football players and will have to field 2 teams. Thatís not transfers. I heards 1 St V player was transferring to Hoban and maybe a kid from G.O. I heard of multiple (at least 4) players who contributed last year to St V were leaving for public districts, Barberton and MCK and 1 other. The Hoban-St V game is always a classic but the streak will continue for the Blue and Gold for the foreseeable future.
70-80? And that is what, 60-70% of all the boys in your freshman class. No wonder Hoban is an athletic powerhouse, virtually everybody plays a sport there. At Coventry, the best we can manage these days is maybe 20%, and that is up from 10 years ago, where we could get 10% at best.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 05-30-18, 11:41 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Iím still shocked about St. Paul closing itís doors.
I'm not surprised. I actually went to St. Pauls in the 0's, graduated in 2011. When I first started there, there were two classes of roughly 20 students per grade. By my 8th grade year, we were down to 1 class per grade, averaging roughly 23 students. This past year, there was around 130 students there, which works out to roughly 13 students per grade including Pre-K. St Pauls is at its breaking point. I'm not sure as to all the reasons for the decline, but when I started at Coventry, I was amazed by how many kids I remembered from st Pauls were there. (many had left St Pauls prior to middle school). Definitely interesting. At any rate, I'm not sure what is going to happen with the remaining kids from St. Pauls. They might have to open enroll somewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 05-30-18, 11:44 AM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,825
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Iím still shocked about St. Paul closing itís doors.
It is sad, however when your total enrollment is 125 students and only 48 are children of parishioners, it is hard to justify the parish underwriting the cost. When a group of parents, grandparents, and city councilman appealed to the new Bishop, they were turned down flat.

What I want to know is, what happened to the "Church in the City" initiative that was instituted by Pilla?? Thought the church was going to reach out to the urban needy children.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 05-30-18, 11:45 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
who on this list would any of the d4-d7 schools have beaten?.. Again, proves my point that you guys want sorry teams on this list and not truly the best teams
Stow
Hoban
Hudson
Barberton
Green
Copley
St V
Tallmadge
Buchtel
East
Woodridge was d4 not too long ago. The last couple years, I think they could have beaten East, and Buchtel. I think they could have given Tallmadge, and Green a game as well. Maybe even last years Copley team. I would bet my Lakefront home, that Woodridge beats Walsh Jesuit.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 05-30-18, 11:50 AM
SeeYaSometime SeeYaSometime is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-16-05
Posts: 3,825
SeeYaSometime is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
I'm not surprised. I actually went to St. Pauls in the 0's, graduated in 2011. When I first started there, there were two classes of roughly 20 students per grade. By my 8th grade year, we were down to 1 class per grade, averaging roughly 23 students. This past year, there was around 130 students there, which works out to roughly 13 students per grade including Pre-K. St Pauls is at its breaking point. I'm not sure as to all the reasons for the decline, but when I started at Coventry, I was amazed by how many kids I remembered from st Pauls were there. (many had left St Pauls prior to middle school). Definitely interesting. At any rate, I'm not sure what is going to happen with the remaining kids from St. Pauls. They might have to open enroll somewhere.
Enrolling at St Francis de Sales. For the upcoming year, their pastor will let them pay parishioner tuition. I wonder if those families will be allowed to join de Sales? Would serve the St Paul pastor right to lose the young families.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 05-30-18, 11:51 AM
team all in team all in is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-15
Posts: 240
team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
Woodridge was d4 not too long ago. The last couple years, I think they could have beaten East, and Buchtel. I think they could have given Tallmadge, and Green a game as well. Maybe even last years Copley team. I would bet my Lakefront home, that Woodridge beats Walsh Jesuit.
We will never know because they schedule cupcakes. Congrats on your lakefront home bro...
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 05-30-18, 11:56 AM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeYaSometime View Post
Enrolling at St Francis de Sales. For the upcoming year, their pastor will let them pay parishioner tuition. I wonder if those families will be allowed to join de Sales? Would serve the St Paul pastor right to lose the young families.
St Pauls has been losing young families to St Francis for years now. The parochial vicars at St. Francis connect with the kids far better then Fr Ralph, and especially Fr. Jenkins ever did. In addition, the Pastor, Fr Bline, is tremendously gifted, and ensures that St. Francis de Sales parish serves as a strong spiritual foundation for people of all ages. St. Francis, which is my home parish, currently has 5 people in the seminary, and one who has just became a priest last year. St. Pauls simply cannot compete with the energy our prosperous suburban parish has to offer.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-30-18, 12:00 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
We will never know because they schedule cupcakes. Congrats on your lakefront home bro...
Last season Woodridge lost to SVSM 17-27. Not great, but they put up a fight against a team that would eventually reach states.. Also they did play Padua in week 1, and Nordonia in week 2. Nordonia is admittedly weaker these days, but has had better days in the past, when the game was scheduled.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-30-18, 12:03 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, they did put up a convincing win over a Coventry that gave Tallmadge a game. 27-26 was the Coventry-Tallmadge score. Coventry was actually leading into the 4th quarter, but we kind of blew it...Sibley was sick as well.

Edit; actually, Woodridge drilled us.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-30-18, 12:30 PM
brian brian is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 06-11-03
Location: Akron, Ohio
Posts: 532
brian
This should likely be called the "Way Too Early" Summit County Top 10. Since the Summit County football discussion never fails to create argument regarding the merit of area small school powers belonging on an all-division "Top 10" list, here's an opinion on a D1-D3 list of Summit County Teams (only Summit County) and an opinion on a DIV-D-VII "Top 5" from a slightly enlarged geographic area of Summit, Wayne and Medina counties. This approach surely won't stop some from bashing the successful small school teams and where they belong in the conversation, but it's worth a take:

2018 "Way Too Early" Top 10 Football -Summit County D1-DIII
(Division and last year's record in parenthesis. * denotes playoffs in '17)
1. Archbishop Hoban (DII 14-1* State Champions)
2. St. Vincent-St. Mary (DIII 10-4* Regional Champions)
3. Hudson (DII 7-4*)
4. Stow (DI 9-2*)
5. Barberton (DII 12-1*)
6. Buchtel (DIII 7-4)
7. Tallmadge (DIII 8-4*)
8. East (DIII 8-3)
9. Coventry (DIII 8-2)
10. Woodridge (DIII 9-2*)
10a and 10b Copley (DII 4-6) and Green (DII 4-6)

2018 "Way Too Early" Top 5 Football - Summit/Wayne/Medina/ DIV-DVII
1. Manchester (DV 9-3*)
2. Mogadore (DVI 9-2*)
3. Norwayne (DVI 10-2*)
4. Dalton (DVI 12-1*)
5. Black River (DV 11-2*)
5a. CVCA (DIV 7-3)
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-30-18, 12:46 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Brian, even with all my talk supporting the PTC, I probably wouldn't consider Coventry for top 10 this season. Woodridge maybe, Coventry maybe last season. But Coventry does lose a lot to graduation, including Sibley. Coventry should still get 6-8 wins, given its schedule. But I wouldn't give us the benefit of the doubt. But I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-30-18, 12:57 PM
Football330 Football330 is offline
Freshman
 
Join Date: 01-16-15
Posts: 23
Football330 is on a distinguished road
Both Coventry,Manchester and Mogadore are all coached very well. They are all what makes High School Football in the state of Ohio great. Don't get into debates with people who claim to be Hoban backers.
For god's sake the coach with the most wins in the history of Ohio coaches at Manchester.
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 05-30-18, 01:09 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football330 View Post
Both Coventry,Manchester and Mogadore are all coached very well. They are all what makes High School Football in the state of Ohio great. Don't get into debates with people who claim to be Hoban backers.
For god's sake the coach with the most wins in the history of Ohio coaches at Manchester.
Indeed, coaching is key, especially for the smaller schools. It is important to get the most you possibly can out of the talent you have, especially for the small school publics. I admit, I have had my criticisms of coach Egan, his X's and 0's have always been suspect to me. But his ability to develop the players he has, and get them playing college ball has impressed me. Hes not perfect, but he is th e best we have any right to ask for. Manchesters coach Jim France's record speaks for itself, no criticisms should be leveled at him.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 05-30-18, 01:09 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,908
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
St Pauls has been losing young families to St Francis for years now. The parochial vicars at St. Francis connect with the kids far better then Fr Ralph, and especially Fr. Jenkins ever did. In addition, the Pastor, Fr Bline, is tremendously gifted, and ensures that St. Francis de Sales parish serves as a strong spiritual foundation for people of all ages. St. Francis, which is my home parish, currently has 5 people in the seminary, and one who has just became a priest last year. St. Pauls simply cannot compete with the energy our prosperous suburban parish has to offer.
So you are saying St. Francis is "recruiting" people away from St. Paul's parish!?! That doesn't sound very competitively balanced to me!!!
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 05-30-18, 01:12 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
So you are saying St. Francis is "recruiting" people away from St. Paul's parish!?! That doesn't sound very competitively balanced to me!!!
They are recruiting, yes. They are trying to steal all the talent they can get to win that all important CYO championship.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 05-30-18, 01:18 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,899
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
1995 USA Today National Football Champion was St. Ignatius. Not sure if that's what the pot-striiring poster was referring to earlier, but Chuck Kyle's squad was the poll champ that year.

Curious how many total Akron area CYO football kids are moving on to play freshman football at one of STVM, Hoban, Walsh or CVCA. Akron CYO football participation at the 8th grade level was at an all-time low last year, as has been the trend for the past few years, so, sadly, the pool could not have been deep.
If he's an Iggy grad, Iggy is doing an awful job of teaching Jesuit principles.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 05-30-18, 01:27 PM
team all in team all in is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 01-20-15
Posts: 240
team all in is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Football330 View Post
Both Coventry,Manchester and Mogadore are all coached very well. They are all what makes High School Football in the state of Ohio great. Don't get into debates with people who claim to be Hoban backers.
For god's sake the coach with the most wins in the history of Ohio coaches at Manchester.
In arguably one of the weakest small school leagues.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 05-30-18, 01:30 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,908
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
They are recruiting, yes. They are trying to steal all the talent they can get to win that all important CYO championship.
LOL! Well, you'd better be recruiting basketball players because there are only a couple of 8th CYO football teams left in Summit County. What a dramatic decrease from just 5-10 years ago!
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 05-30-18, 01:53 PM
Irish60 Irish60 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 11-17-14
Posts: 1,908
Irish60 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
1995 USA Today National Football Champion was St. Ignatius. Not sure if that's what the pot-striiring poster was referring to earlier, but Chuck Kyle's squad was the poll champ that year.

Curious how many total Akron area CYO football kids are moving on to play freshman football at one of STVM, Hoban, Walsh or CVCA. Akron CYO football participation at the 8th grade level was at an all-time low last year, as has been the trend for the past few years, so, sadly, the pool could not have been deep.
I agree with you about the state of CYO football in Summit County. It's been WAY down. When my son was in 8th grade just 8 years ago, there were 8-10 Summit County CYO football teams in the 8th grade. This past year there were what, two? three? With the decreasing enrollments and the concussion issue hanging over football in general, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 05-30-18, 02:03 PM
Football Fan 1 Football Fan 1 is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 09-21-17
Posts: 215
Football Fan 1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by team all in View Post
What can I do to sway you to become a booster for Mogadore football? We haven't been good since the 70's
You must not be that good of a booster or a fan. Mogadore was a state champion in 1996 and 2002; and were runner up in 2000, 2001, and 2015.

Chuck Moore was pretty darn special...you should do some research on him. Their 61-58 win over St Henry in triple overtime in 1996 was probably one of the best championship games ever. Moore went on to win 4 more National Championships at Mount Union at their tailback.

Not good since the 70's.....c'mon.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 05-30-18, 02:11 PM
CoventryTrackXCguy CoventryTrackXCguy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 10-28-15
Location: Coventry, Ohio
Posts: 1,309
CoventryTrackXCguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish60 View Post
LOL! Well, you'd better be recruiting basketball players because there are only a couple of 8th CYO football teams left in Summit County. What a dramatic decrease from just 5-10 years ago!
So whats the reason for the decline? Are more of those kids getting into soccer and cross country? Or are they playing youth sports for their local public schools?
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 05-30-18, 02:27 PM
clarkgriswold clarkgriswold is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-28-07
Posts: 10,899
clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryTrackXCguy View Post
So whats the reason for the decline? Are more of those kids getting into soccer and cross country? Or are they playing youth sports for their local public schools?
The primary reason is that most of the Catholic grade schools are dying on the vine.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The 29th Annual Boardman Open is Sunday, Mar. 18th! $1000 to the Top Four Teams Kickoff Classic Wrestling 0 03-12-18 03:40 PM
The Bay Village Rocket Spring Open is Sunday, March 11th! $1000 to the Top Four Teams Kickoff Classic Wrestling 1 03-10-18 02:32 PM
Top 14U Teams Yappi Softball 1 08-07-17 03:54 PM
Top 12U Teams Yappi Softball 0 08-06-17 10:18 PM
Top 10U Teams Yappi Softball 0 08-06-17 10:18 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz