Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-16-18, 12:33 PM
claynation claynation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 164
claynation is on a distinguished road
Horter going for 1600/3200; other postseason distance takeaways

1. I hope he attempts the double at state. Hes undoubtedly good enough to win both.

2. It will be interesting if any of the top 1600m podium contenders choose to scratch the 1600m at state (basically conceding the victory to Horter, because thats the inevitable result) and choose to run the 800m fresh. Arjun Jha has already made this decision (the only individual event hes entered in for districts is the 800m), and I wont be surprised if Szalay and Miller from Wadsworth follow suit. Bons could also do this, although I still expect him to run the 1600m and take second. In any case, the 800 appears wide open with 1:50 man Horter electing to forgo it and the defending champion in only okay shape.

3. Its a shame that Zach Kreft moved down to D2.

4. Conant Smith is such a wild card. Hes entered in the 1600/3200; my guess would be that he chooses to focus on the 3200 again in Columbus. Who knows if hes in shape to run under 9:10, though.

5. A 3200m state battle between a tired Horter and a fresh Scrape/Conant could be juicy.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 05-16-18, 12:51 PM
ccrunner609 ccrunner609 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 02-15-10
Posts: 2,864
ccrunner609 is on a distinguished road
Horter needs to only concentrate on being the only sub 4 prep runner and he will make history.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-16-18, 01:07 PM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,227
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Horter needs to only concentrate on being the only sub 4 prep runner and he will make history.
Only in Ohio? Certainly not in the rest of the US.

Horter should do what Horter wants to do. Everyone else can take a hike.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-16-18, 01:23 PM
wolsey737 wolsey737 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: 08-30-15
Posts: 68
wolsey737 is on a distinguished road
Horter should do what Horter wants to do. Everyone else can take a hike.[/QUOTE]


agree!! He is good enough to win both in dramatic fashion!!




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-16-18, 02:06 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 207
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post

2. It will be interesting if any of the top 1600m podium contenders choose to scratch the 1600m at state (basically conceding the victory to Horter, because thats the inevitable result) and choose to run the 800m fresh. Arjun Jha has already made this decision (the only individual event hes entered in for districts is the 800m), and I wont be surprised if Szalay and Miller from Wadsworth follow suit. Bons could also do this, although I still expect him to run the 1600m and take second. In any case, the 800 appears wide open with 1:50 man Horter electing to forgo it and the defending champion in only okay shape.
Cousino needs to be in the 800 discussion on a windy night Friday he ran a 1:52.35 shortly after running a 4:15.82 1600. His only individual event at districts is the 800.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-16-18, 04:26 PM
Newton's Third Newton's Third is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 08-03-10
Posts: 572
Newton's Third is on a distinguished road
Many previous star runners have entered and ran both the 1600 and 3200 through the regional as a precaution against a fall, false start, or any other mishap. If their 1600 went to plan and the the weather hot as usual they drop the 3200 at state. This may be Horter's approach.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-16-18, 06:09 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,709
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Horter has stated he wants to win two events at state. Very few have been able to do both. What is the count up to now?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-16-18, 09:28 PM
EuclidandViren EuclidandViren is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 04-01-12
Posts: 918
EuclidandViren is on a distinguished road
For D1 Boys Distance Only

Danny Neff from Vandalia Butler 2008 won both the 1600 and 800
Doug Bockenstette from Cincinnati LaSalle in 1994 won both the 1600 and 3200

Those were the two best double that I have ever witnessed. Both men amongst boys.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-16-18, 09:38 PM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,516
mathking is on a distinguished road
Probably the best I witnessed was Scott Fry in 1985, winning the 1600 and 3200.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-16-18, 10:09 PM
madman madman is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 09-27-10
Posts: 970
madman is on a distinguished road
The easiest double I ever witnessed was Jeff See in 2005 in the 1600 and 800. A man among boys.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-16-18, 11:10 PM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,709
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrunner609 View Post
Horter needs to only concentrate on being the only sub 4 prep runner and he will make history.
US high school boys sub 4:00 mile all-time list:
3:53.43 Alan Webb (2001)
3:55.3h Jim Ryun (1965)
3:57.81 Drew Hunter (2016)
3:59.30 Reed Brown (2017)
3:59.38 Matthew Maton (2015)
3:59.38 Grant Fisher (2015)
3:59.4h Tim Danielson (1966)
3:59.53 Michael Slagowski (2016)
3:59.71 Lukas Verzbicas (2011)
3:59.8h Marty Liquori (1967)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-17-18, 01:28 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,227
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Most impressive double of the last 50 years, not only setting new meet records, but whacking the all-time state records by huge margins - Reggie McAfee of Cincinnati Courter Technical (located on what is now Cincinnati State). McAfee won the '69 Mile/880 double with his 4:08.5/1:52.5 records. The previous meet records had been 4:17.9 and 1:54.4, respectively. The previous state records had been 4:13.3 (by McAfee at the Earl Redmond Sr. meet (Sycamore JHS (then HS), Cincinnati) on 5/12/69) and 1:53.8 by Greg Hale (Rocky River) set in 1968. McAfee split 2:02/2:06 in his record mile and towed at least 2 other guys under the old meet record. St. Xavier's Denis Lunne was one of them with his 4:17.5 PR in 3rd place. McAfee had placed 3rd & 2nd, respectively, in the state 2-mile in 1967 & 1968 versions of that event.

In 1969, McAfee stood ALONE and SUPREME.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-17-18, 07:36 AM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 207
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
US high school boys sub 4:00 mile all-time list:
3:53.43 Alan Webb (2001)
3:55.3h Jim Ryun (1965)
3:57.81 Drew Hunter (2016)
3:59.30 Reed Brown (2017)
3:59.38 Matthew Maton (2015)
3:59.38 Grant Fisher (2015)
3:59.4h Tim Danielson (1966)
3:59.53 Michael Slagowski (2016)
3:59.71 Lukas Verzbicas (2011)
3:59.8h Marty Liquori (1967)
As great as Horter is if I was a betting man I don't think he adds his name to that list. Now next indoor season I think he has a good shot to break 4.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-17-18, 07:59 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,227
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
As great as Horter is if I was a betting man I don't think he adds his name to that list. Now next indoor season I think he has a good shot to break 4.
I still think he has a shot this year, but running with pros where he gets some help thru the first 3 laps where he can run more relaxed and let them do the work.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-17-18, 08:15 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,709
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
I'm going by memory now because I can't find the list, but as I recall only four of those ten guys broke 4:00 in high school only races. Here is an example. Southlake Carroll (TX) High then senior Reed Brown ran 3:59.30 at the Festival of Miles to become the fourth fastest prep miler ever. This was the second high school sub-four time produced by the meet after Grant Fisher ran 3:59.38 in 2015. Brown competed in the professional mile field, which was won by University of Wisconsin standout Morgan McDonald. This is what JAVMAN83 was referring to give Horter his best shot at breaking 4:00 by running with professionals

Last edited by Lancermania; 05-17-18 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-17-18, 09:06 AM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,516
mathking is on a distinguished road
Olentangy Orange at least should be able to give Wadsworth some competition in the 4x800. They beat Wadsworth at the indoor state meet, where they set the indoor state meet record and I think had the second fastest ever time for an Ohio indoor team.

As for Horter, I have coached against him many times, and would never discount him as a competitor. I think if the weather is hot the double will be hard to pull off. He won't be able to just slow down the pace in the 1600 and dictate the pace. On the other hand, the 3200 probably has fewer kids close to his level than the 800 does.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-17-18, 09:43 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,227
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancermania View Post
I'm going by memory now because I can't find the list, but as I recall only four of those ten guys broke 4:00 in high school only races. Here is an example. Southlake Carroll (TX) High then senior Reed Brown ran 3:59.30 at the Festival of Miles to become the fourth fastest prep miler ever. This was the second high school sub-four time produced by the meet after Grant Fisher ran 3:59.38 in 2015. Brown competed in the professional mile field, which was won by University of Wisconsin standout Morgan McDonald. This is what JAVMAN83 was referring to give Horter his best shot at breaking 4:00 by running with professionals
Michael Slagowski (Rocky Mountain HS, Meridian, ID) appears to be the only other HS athlete to go sub-4 in a HS-only race with his 3:59.53 at the Jesuit Twilight Relays (Portland, OR) on April 29, 2016.
Video:
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-17-18, 09:51 AM
Lancermania's Avatar
Lancermania Lancermania is offline
Lancers lead the way!
 
Join Date: 08-23-04
Posts: 8,709
Lancermania is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAVMAN83 View Post
Michael Slagowski (Rocky Mountain HS, Meridian, ID) appears to be the only other HS athlete to go sub-4 in a HS-only race with his 3:59.53 at the Jesuit Twilight Relays (Portland, OR) on April 29, 2016.
Video:
Just off memory, Jim Ryan ran something like 3:58 at the Kansas state high school meet. It was somewhere on a link off the ATFS web page where I saw the list of four, but I can't find that list now.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-17-18, 10:16 AM
JAVMAN83 JAVMAN83 is online now
All American
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Somewhere in the ether
Posts: 2,227
JAVMAN83 is on a distinguished road
Jim Ryun - 3:58.3 at the '65 Kansas State meet:

Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-17-18, 06:49 PM
claynation claynation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 164
claynation is on a distinguished road
Yes, Cousino is a contender in the 800 but I think Id favor Jha right now. I do expect at least one of, if not both, Miller and Szalay to scratch the 1600 in favor I of the 800.

Can anyone describe what happened to the Hudson 4x800?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-19-18, 03:12 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 207
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post
Yes, Cousino is a contender in the 800 but I think Id favor Jha right now. I do expect at least one of, if not both, Miller and Szalay to scratch the 1600 in favor I of the 800.

Can anyone describe what happened to the Hudson 4x800?
Jha didn't have a good day today running a 1:55.83 to finish 2nd to Bons 1:53.91 and this was after Bons won the mile in 4:23.25.

Cousino broke the district record winning by almost 9 sec running a 1:51.76.

Malachi McGill was 3rd with a 1:55.10. Not sure he can close that big of gap on Cousino in two weeks.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-19-18, 03:48 PM
ToledoXC ToledoXC is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-14-10
Posts: 1,064
ToledoXC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by claynation View Post
Yes, Cousino is a contender in the 800 but I think Id favor Jha right now. I do expect at least one of, if not both, Miller and Szalay to scratch the 1600 in favor I of the 800.

Can anyone describe what happened to the Hudson 4x800?
Cousino will run 1:49 low in the next couple weeks. He went out in 53, came back back in 58 today. No competition.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-19-18, 09:08 PM
claynation claynation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 164
claynation is on a distinguished road
Looks like I spoke too soon re: Jha being the favorite in the 800m. I guess it really is Cousino right now, although if Bons were to scratch the 1600m at state...watch out.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-20-18, 12:54 PM
mathking mathking is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 07-25-10
Posts: 1,516
mathking is on a distinguished road
I wouldnt write Jha off just yet. He is finally able to run after being out all season for injury. Last week at the OCC meet was his first chance to run. He might not be able to get back into the 1:50-1:52 shape he was in last year, but I already saw differences in his mechanics last week to this week. I have coached against him enough to not discount him.

Bons is not going to scratch the 1600. I do think he could run in the 1:50-1:51 range, but that could easily not be enough to win.

Cousino has got to be considered the favorite right now, but there are a bunch of strong contenders. It could be a really fast race, maybe like the 1600 was last year.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-26-18, 06:22 AM
claynation claynation is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 11-03-14
Posts: 164
claynation is on a distinguished road
As predicted, we've continued to have some big scratches in the boys 1600m with Ashwin Briggs and Nick Miller being the latest. These dudes want no part of Horter, and understandably so. The boys 800m may be the most intriguing event of the entire D1 state meet.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-26-18, 09:10 AM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,228
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
In the world of DIII, we've had a few developments this weekend.

These are the boys who are qualified in multiple individual distance events:
Brendan Siefker, Ottoville, 800, 1600, 3200 (won all 3 at Troy)
Joe Ballas, Fort Loramie, 800, 1600
Jake Bertelsen, Worthington Christian, 1600, 3200
Chad Johnson, Colonel Crawford, 1600, 3200 (won both at Tiffin)
Lucas Clark, Smithville, 800, 1600
Drew Roberts, Mapleton, 1600 (at-large), 3200

Colonel Crawford's Chad Johnson tripled at the district but dropped the 800 at regionals. His teammate was able to secure a state berth in that event by finishing 3rd.

Ottoville's Brendan Siefker appears headed for another triple at state. The defending DIII 1600 champion won all 3 events at the Troy Regional.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-26-18, 06:41 PM
said_aouita said_aouita is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-19-04
Posts: 3,092
said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
In the world of DIII, we've had a few developments this weekend.

These are the boys who are qualified in multiple individual distance events:
Brendan Siefker, Ottoville, 800, 1600, 3200 (won all 3 at Troy)
800m- 1:55.03
1600m- 4:19.97
3200m- 9:44.54

Quite an impressive day! Will he enter all three events at state?

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-26-18, 07:36 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,228
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by said_aouita View Post
800m- 1:55.03
1600m- 4:19.97
3200m- 9:44.54

Quite an impressive day! Will he enter all three events at state?

He tripled last year and handled it fairly well, especially given that he was a junior.

Last edited by Mr. Slippery; 05-26-18 at 08:53 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-26-18, 08:49 PM
CC Track Fan CC Track Fan is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 06-17-16
Posts: 207
CC Track Fan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
He tripled last year and handled it fairly well, especially given that he was a sophomore.
He is a Sr. this year. Sadly he is just going to be a student at OSU he is not going to run.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-26-18, 08:54 PM
Mr. Slippery's Avatar
Mr. Slippery Mr. Slippery is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 02-05-07
Location: Slippery Rock
Posts: 18,228
Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Track Fan View Post
He is a Sr. this year. Sadly he is just going to be a student at OSU he is not going to run.
Yes, he was a junior last year. My mistake.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz