Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-01-18, 02:56 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984StateChamps View Post
STA needs to schedule down for a few years until they rebuild the program. The numbers are definitely on the upswing for both the school and the football program. It's unfortunate, as they have had some good games with Marlington when Aquinas has a strong team. But more often than those competitive games, Marlington has been winning in blowouts (because they seem to have a strong team each and every year...no ups and downs like STA).

In the last 10 seasons (2008-2017), Marlington is 9-1 vs. STA. 5 of the 9 Marlington wins were total blowouts (17 or more pts...a couple by 40 or more). So while there have been a few close losses by STA (and 1 win in 2014), most of the time Marlington wins easily...a few of them were real embarrassments with serious injuries occurring to Aquinas players too. I think this coming fall would be another 40+ point drubbing with risks of injuries...so I have no problem with this.

The really encouraging thing is the overall school enrollment numbers and future classes coming through the pipeline the next few years.

Overall enrollment in the high school will be up 18% this coming fall (net increase of 27 students)
This fall's incoming freshman class will be up 36% over this past year's

These percentage increases are certainly helped by the fact that they are coming up from scary-low numbers, but it's certainly better than the alternative. I know they are not satisfied at all even with the positive uptick...and that's a good thing...too many people in leadership in Catholic education in Stark County for too long have been complacent or "threw their hands up" and didn't think there was anything they could do to stem the tide and the ever decreasing enrollment. They were in total maintenance-mode and that's part of the reason we got to this point.

And the lower grades look even better...reportedly there are upwards of 50 kids in the 6th grade at Aquinas middle school alone. Add a few kids from St. Paul's, Portage County, local public schools/home school/etc, and they could be back up to a freshman class in the 60's or even 70's in a couple years. A healthy number.

Good long terms prospects in the future for the lower grades at the feeder schools too as long as the leadership of the school and the Stark County Catholic school system as whole keep doing what they've started doing this year.

Great to see you back 84!

What you posted is accurate. I love the middle school, it is a huge advantage to have Mr. Woods teaching science to middle schoolers as well as some of the other high school teachers.

Some good athletic talent is likely on its way up in various sports.

Aquinas had the highest ACT scores of any school in Stark County last year, so we need to keep that going.

Last edited by Summa; 06-01-18 at 04:17 PM.
Old 06-01-18, 03:40 PM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
84 you alluded to a different philosophy in scheduling

what kind of schedule would you hope to see?
Old 06-01-18, 06:27 PM
All Yappi

Termite2 is on a distinguished road
STA HS

2018-2019 tuition cost for non-Catholic parishioners: $9,750
2018-2019 tuition cost for Catholic parishioners: $8,000
Average price of tuition paid by our families after tuition assistance: $5,800

http://www.stahs.org/tuition-scholarships/
Old 06-12-18, 08:17 PM
All World

knightgeek27 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to knightgeek27
A little side note: STA will probably be sporting new helmets this coming season. Check it out: https://twitter.com/STA_KnightsFTB/s...56562786045952
Old 06-13-18, 10:13 AM
All American

Buck1974 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightgeek27 View Post
A little side note: STA will probably be sporting new helmets this coming season. Check it out: https://twitter.com/STA_KnightsFTB/s...56562786045952
I usually don't like the flat paint, but I really like these helmets. I saw the side photo of one somewhere. In that photo the gold script Aquinas looked more metallic. I can't find that photo anywhere, I don't know if it was in an e-blast or newsletter from the school. Nonetheless, they are sharp.