Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-19-18, 10:11 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
St. Thomas football????

I heard St. Thomas called and cancelled with Marlington and Alliance, did they cancel the entire program? If so what a shame. Good luck to the 10 teams on there schedule trying to fill games this late. Wow.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-18, 10:26 AM
Junior Varsity

Alliance1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
I heard St. Thomas called and cancelled with Marlington and Alliance, did they cancel the entire program? If so what a shame. Good luck to the 10 teams on there schedule trying to fill games this late. Wow.
Alliance ended their contract with St Thomas last year..They will be traveling to Hubbard week 1. This game has been scheduled for quite sometime now.. I do not know the situation at St Thomas but if they have to cancel their entire season what a shame.
Old 04-19-18, 10:27 AM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
St. Thomas wasn't on Alliance schedule this year. Didn't hear anything about Marlington

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-18, 10:28 AM
All American

hdvhsmgr is on a distinguished road
On Arbiter, they recently rescheduled their first 2 games. A few days ago I noticed the Marlington game showing cancelled, but wasn't sure with all the changes they've made if that was true.
Old 04-19-18, 10:31 AM
All Yappi

Mr. Slippery is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm hearing that St. Thomas will have a varsity team and will play a few freshman games, too. I knew the Alliance game was dropped. Not sure about Marlington. They may have told Marlington to try and find a replacement if possible but to no avail.
Old 04-19-18, 10:35 AM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
As an STA alumnus, I have not heard anything about cancelling a season. Numbers are low, but not that low...to my knowledge. I also don't live in that area anymore, so I may have missed something.
Old 04-19-18, 10:57 AM
All Ohio

Over The Hills is on a distinguished road
Itís goin around.

There are plenty of schools that are rollin with 20-30 guys.
No Jv or freshman teams.

St Thomas plays Gilmour week 10.
I predict 25-30 on GA roster this year.
Maybe not that many depending on freshman class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-18, 11:05 AM
All American

Football 101 is on a distinguished road
St Thomas will have a season.

May be some lean years. But I think they will weather the storm.

They need to change who the schedule tho until they rebound. They are D7.

My question is does anyone feel the league St Thomas is in deters some students from attending and playing there?

It is not a bad league - just far for the knights.
Old 04-19-18, 11:08 AM
All Ohio

nupanther is on a distinguished road
Just read an article from March 30th about their new coach. Said he had 31 people for his initial football meeting and Coach Cook has poster working videos and photos this week from off season workouts. They also stated Western Reserve academy is the week 1 opponent.

We all know their numbers are down and their program has done a 180 in a short time, but for THAT program to cancel football would be big news and would be all over the internet
Old 04-19-18, 11:46 AM
Scatologist

EagleFan will become famous soon enoughEagleFan will become famous soon enough
This is what I have, but I have never found official confirmation on the Richmond Hts or Warren JFK games. Now I guess Marlington is in doubt too.

St. Thomas Aquinas 2018
8/24 H Hudson Western Reserve Academy
8/31 A Richmond Heights
9/7 H Alliance Marlington
9/13 A Canton Central Catholic
9/21 H Mantua Crestwood
9/28 A Warren John F. Kennedy
10/6 A Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph
10/13 A Cleveland Central Catholic
10/19 H Garfield Heights Trinity
10/26 H Gates Mills Gilmour Academy
Old 04-19-18, 12:25 PM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok I was wrong about Alliance, my bad. I just talked to my son and I guess they dropped Marlington to find a smaller or a more compatible team due to there numbers and youth. I wish they would of made this decision much earlier. If Marlington is the only game they dropped that's in my opinion kinda of , well nevermind what I think. He also heard and no proof of this is St.Thomas has to compensate Marlington x amount of money to cover gate and concessions. I feel bad for St.Thomas's problems but canceling this late is in my opinion wrong.
Old 04-19-18, 12:36 PM
All Region

guyinahoodie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Ok I was wrong about Alliance, my bad. I just talked to my son and I guess they dropped Marlington to find a smaller or a more compatible team due to there numbers and youth. I wish they would of made this decision much earlier. If Marlington is the only game they dropped that's in my opinion kinda of , well nevermind what I think. He also heard and no proof of this is St.Thomas has to compensate Marlington x amount of money to cover gate and concessions. I feel bad for St.Thomas's problems but canceling this late is in my opinion wrong.
Marlington scheduling STA to begin with, in my opinion, is wrong.
Old 04-19-18, 12:40 PM
All District

Starkflavor is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
Two yrs ago it was a heck of a game

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 04-19-18, 12:41 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleFan View Post
This is what I have, but I have never found official confirmation on the Richmond Hts or Warren JFK games. Now I guess Marlington is in doubt too.

St. Thomas Aquinas 2018
8/24 H Hudson Western Reserve Academy
8/31 A Richmond Heights
9/7 H Alliance Marlington
9/13 A Canton Central Catholic
9/21 H Mantua Crestwood
9/28 A Warren John F. Kennedy
10/6 A Cleveland Villa Angela-St Joseph
10/13 A Cleveland Central Catholic
10/19 H Garfield Heights Trinity
10/26 H Gates Mills Gilmour Academy
No reason to think the JFK game isn't happening. Both schools are still members of the NCL White.
Old 04-19-18, 12:51 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyinahoodie View Post
There have been a few blowouts, but it has been a decent series between 2 nearby schools which probably yields a half decent gate.
Old 04-19-18, 12:54 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
This year's game was supposed to be at St. Thomas, so no reason why St. Thomas should owe Marlington any money. St. Thomas is the one losing out on that end of it. If anything, they may have done Marlington a favor. Marlington now has a chance to schedule another home game, and almost any opponent Marlington could find could be worth more computer points than what St. Thomas was worth last year. I don't see the Knights being any better this year. Even an open date might be worth more points.
Old 04-19-18, 01:34 PM
All American

The Dock is on a distinguished road
Is St Thomas Aquinas officially open for week 3, or have they already found an opponent in Marlington’s place?

If it’s the former, that they’re open for week three, I’d like to see Lancaster Fisher Cath. play them. Right now, we’re playing a club game that means nothing. LFC could be good for 6-7 wins.
Old 04-19-18, 01:54 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Aquinas will have better numbers than last year with some pretty good talent in the freshman class and the 2019 freshman class. They should rebound in a couple years. There is absolutely no danger that a viable team won't take the field this season. They have more freshman signed up this year than the last two seasons combined. And some additional upperclassman that didn't play football last year have signed up.

I heard Pepper Pike Orange will likely be the week 3 game at Orange.

Numbers are going in the right direction under the new coach thus far.

Side Note: Some very good basketball players are also on the way up.

Last edited by Summa; 04-19-18 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-19-18, 10:33 PM
All Ohio

COACH_XYZ&12345 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summa View Post
Aquinas will have better numbers than last year with some pretty good talent in the freshman class and the 2019 freshman class. They should rebound in a couple years. There is absolutely no danger that a viable team won't take the field this season. They have more freshman signed up this year than the last two seasons combined. And some additional upperclassman that didn't play football last year have signed up.

I heard Pepper Pike Orange will likely be the week 3 game at Orange.

Numbers are going in the right direction under the new coach thus far.

Side Note: Some very good basketball players are also on the way up.
Regardless classless decision by STA to drop an opponent four months before the season begins.
Old 04-20-18, 07:55 AM
All American

Hate to see teams drop each other late

yes there is a penalty from breaking a signed contract - that happens

Marlington will be compensated.

Not sure this is a good game for the Dukes, D3 playing D7 private that is hurting right now.

Marlington needs to shake the small school identity with playing down so much - meaning - do they play as many or more higher division teams as they do lower division teams....

Very sad to see them step away from their neighbor in league - weak move - kinda hard to feel bad that they have a late drop when they joined the small school mentality of the EBC
Old 04-20-18, 09:11 AM
Scatologist

Of course, we don't know the facts of the conversation between STA and Marlington. Marlington might have been on board with the no-play plan ultimately.
Old 04-21-18, 11:56 AM
All District

TheBranch79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
Marlington being compensated hurts STA more than you think. Letís not forget thatís a long drive to pay for gas playing in the NCL!
By looking just at the money you would be correct, however if you look at the negatives that would come by getting hurt, losing Badly, etc. the cost would be well worth it. If they donít schedule down, fewer kids will come pay tuition. $15,000 is a lot, but if 4 kids decide to transfer out, Iím sure that would be far more.
Old 04-23-18, 09:00 AM
Scatologist

Tuition for next year is $8,000 for parishoners
Old 04-23-18, 09:03 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DB 04 View Post
It’s 15k to go there?????
St. Thomas' tuition is about half that amount.

I took his statement to mean that it would cost $15k to get out of a scheduled game with Marlington. No way it costs that much.
Old 04-23-18, 09:18 AM
All American

hitme is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBranch79 View Post
By looking just at the money you would be correct, however if you look at the negatives that would come by getting hurt, losing Badly, etc. the cost would be well worth it. If they donít schedule down, fewer kids will come pay tuition. $15,000 is a lot, but if 4 kids decide to transfer out, Iím sure that would be far more.
Typical NBC thought process.
Old 04-23-18, 12:10 PM
All American

Summa is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Slippery View Post
St. Thomas' tuition is about half that amount.

I took his statement to mean that it would cost $15k to get out of a scheduled game with Marlington. No way it costs that much.
I always thought it was in the $2,000-$3,000 dollar range, I could be wrong, but $15,000 seems a little high. Schools have backed out of contracts with Aquinas in the past and $2,000-$3,000 is what I thought those schools had to pay.

Last edited by Summa; 04-23-18 at 02:53 PM.
Old 04-23-18, 12:55 PM
All American

tuition may be 15K

but the penalty of contract breaking is around 2-3k
Old 04-23-18, 09:30 PM
All District

TheBranch79 is on a distinguished road
Not sure what tuition is, but the point is this.....whatever the fine is, it will be far lower than if Aquinas gets pounded by Marlington and people decide to leave the school. Dukes will be better off and so will the Knights. In my eyes, any fee would be money well spent.
Old 04-25-18, 08:00 AM
All Region

Starkbuck is on a distinguished road
Aquinas will be playing a lot of freshman this year and there's no reason to continue playing Marlington with no benefit to either school. Marlington gets nothing out of it from an athletic standpoint and essentially plays a game where they could lose players due to injuries. Aquinas gets pounded again, kids gets beat up and disinterested in the season.

Should they have dropped this game before this month? Yes. However, it is my understanding that the new coach wasnt made AD until after he was there for a short while. And I would put the blame on the previous AD and coach for scheduling a game like this.

Plus, don't get all offended by a team breaking a contract. It happens far more often than you think and isn't that big of a deal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-01-18, 08:48 AM
All Ohio

1984StateChamps is on a distinguished road
STA needs to schedule down for a few years until they rebuild the program. The numbers are definitely on the upswing for both the school and the football program. It's unfortunate, as they have had some good games with Marlington when Aquinas has a strong team. But more often than those competitive games, Marlington has been winning in blowouts (because they seem to have a strong team each and every year...no ups and downs like STA).

In the last 10 seasons (2008-2017), Marlington is 9-1 vs. STA. 5 of the 9 Marlington wins were total blowouts (17 or more pts...a couple by 40 or more). So while there have been a few close losses by STA (and 1 win in 2014), most of the time Marlington wins easily...a few of them were real embarrassments with serious injuries occurring to Aquinas players too. I think this coming fall would be another 40+ point drubbing with risks of injuries...so I have no problem with this.

The really encouraging thing is the overall school enrollment numbers and future classes coming through the pipeline the next few years.

Overall enrollment in the high school will be up 18% this coming fall (net increase of 27 students)
This fall's incoming freshman class will be up 36% over this past year's

These percentage increases are certainly helped by the fact that they are coming up from scary-low numbers, but it's certainly better than the alternative. I know they are not satisfied at all even with the positive uptick...and that's a good thing...too many people in leadership in Catholic education in Stark County for too long have been complacent or "threw their hands up" and didn't think there was anything they could do to stem the tide and the ever decreasing enrollment. They were in total maintenance-mode and that's part of the reason we got to this point.

And the lower grades look even better...reportedly there are upwards of 50 kids in the 6th grade at Aquinas middle school alone. Add a few kids from St. Paul's, Portage County, local public schools/home school/etc, and they could be back up to a freshman class in the 60's or even 70's in a couple years. A healthy number.

Good long terms prospects in the future for the lower grades at the feeder schools too as long as the leadership of the school and the Stark County Catholic school system as whole keep doing what they've started doing this year.

Last edited by 1984StateChamps; 06-01-18 at 09:02 AM.