Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-25-18, 06:40 AM
Freshman

Jump21 is on a distinguished road
Did Hamilton name a coach? West?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-18, 08:53 AM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jump21 View Post
Did Hamilton name a coach? West?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk
No
Old 04-25-18, 09:37 AM
Varsity

rollingthunder is on a distinguished road
It was announced in Lebanon this morning who the next Hamilton coach will be.
Old 04-25-18, 11:10 AM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
It was announced in Lebanon this morning who the next Hamilton coach will be.
Higgins would be a very good hire for Hamilton. Hopefully the parents/fanbase leave him alone.
Old 04-25-18, 11:22 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by JElder View Post
Higgins would be a very good hire for Hamilton. Hopefully the parents/fanbase leave him alone.
Higgins fits the bill for being experienced as a D-1 coach (Colerain, Lebanon, I think Aiken as well when they were D-2) and experience in the GMC at Colerain with some tourney success before Colerain became horrible. He has been at alot of schools, but I'm guessing HHS has the resources to make him not take a paycut leaving Lebanon.

I agree with you J that handling the attitudes of the star returning players/parents for their senior year will be his biggest challenge--always wondered why Higgins didn't get the St. X job to replace Martin 3 years ago.
Old 04-25-18, 11:32 AM
Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
As good of a coach that Higgins is....I think he also had too much baggage for St X
Old 04-28-18, 08:49 PM
Junior Varsity

BL-UE is on a distinguished road
Any updates for the coaching search in West Chester?
Old 05-01-18, 04:08 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Just announced- Jim Leon. I had mentioned him on another thread for the Hamilton Job. Think that school/team would have suited him better, but he is a good coach.
Old 05-01-18, 04:13 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kballer View Post
Just announced- Jim Leon. I had mentioned him on another thread for the Hamilton Job. Think that school/team would have suited him better, but he is a good coach.
Lakota West must not have had any teaching spots open to bring a younger coach in like the coach (Wyrick) at Butler who was the hot prospect--Leon has won at both coaching boys and girls, but with his years in the Ohio retirement system I'm guessing he is a commuting coach and not in the Lakota school system--anyone know?
Old 05-01-18, 04:33 PM
All World

On WCPO site:

Leon, a retired Cincinnati Public Schools teacher, said he is looking forward to instilling self-confidence in the players and discovering what the team needs on the court.

Jimmy and Joes will be the first priority--was an easy choice to pick a retired coach if West had no teaching jobs--go get 'em Jim!
Old 05-01-18, 06:11 PM
All American

Not needing a teaching position makes a difference, plus they just had the "hot, young coach" and it didn't work out so well. Will be curious to see if some of the athletes at West will give basketball a try with a new coach. Literally no where to go but up!
Old 05-01-18, 07:20 PM
All World

Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not needing a teaching position makes a difference, plus they just had the "hot, young coach" and it didn't work out so well. Will be curious to see if some of the athletes at West will give basketball a try with a new coach. Literally no where to go but up!
I need West to get competitive again. West being in the dumps means everyone is coming over to East. My kid is over on the East side right now and West being crappy is making it hella competitive over here for basketball. Be nice if my boy had a little breathing room lol

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
Old 05-01-18, 08:29 PM
All American

I wouldn't understand "breathing room"- mine played at Moeller 70+ kids at tryouts, this many even after summer league and freshman camp! Seriously though- I wouldn't expect a quick turn around. Rooks was a very good coach- wests issues go beyond coaching
Old 05-01-18, 08:41 PM
All World

Quote:
I wouldn't understand "breathing room"- mine played at Moeller 70+ kids at tryouts, this many even after summer league and freshman camp! Seriously though- I wouldn't expect a quick turn around. Rooks was a very good coach- wests issues go beyond coaching
Oh I feel you. Actually not looking for breathing room anyway. I was just trying to be funny. They had 49 kids at tryouts for 7th grade this past Winter. The competition is good for him.

Old 05-01-18, 08:42 PM
Varsity

tune89 is on a distinguished road
Really surprised to hear that the St. X coach was going for the west job. I know he graduated from Lakota, but why would you want to leave X for west? seems like a step down in jobs? Maybe he knows he can't compete with the Moeller recruiting machine. West does have open enrollment, so you should be able to get some players in there.
Old 05-01-18, 09:00 PM
All American

The Moeller machine doesn't have to recruit, but yes it is tough job to compete with such a program every year.
Old 05-02-18, 10:09 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Does anyone know if Lallathin really pursued the West position?
Great hire by West, Coach Leon is a proven winner. Hopefully the administration at West will support him
Old 05-02-18, 11:05 AM
All American

I did hear he spoke with the AD, not sure how seriously but he can't feel too confident about his tenure at X. The only reason that team was good this year was because the senior football players decided they would play and they were stud athletes, but they still finished second to last in the GCL.

Last edited by Kballer; 05-02-18 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Wrong standings info
Old 05-02-18, 11:48 AM
All American

Interview by Springer with Coach Leon and AD Kauffman regarding the hire

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/57126...mpression=true
Old 05-02-18, 12:48 PM
All World

Quote:
Interview by Springer with Coach Leon and AD Kauffman regarding the hire

https://amp.cincinnati.com/amp/57126...mpression=true
Nice article

Old 05-03-18, 01:24 PM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Great hire by West, Coach Leon is a proven winner. Hopefully the administration at West will support him
With all due respect... take away a few woodward seasons 25 years ago... not much of a great resume.
Old 05-03-18, 01:30 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
With all due respect... take away a few woodward seasons 25 years ago... not much of a great resume.
Agreed... I think the article said 6 people were interviewed. Who were the other 5?
Old 05-03-18, 01:46 PM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
Agreed... I think the article said 6 people were interviewed. Who were the other 5?
I can only fill in three of the other candidates: Jamie Mahaffey, Adair Carmichael & Nathan Chivington
Old 05-04-18, 08:17 AM
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
I can only fill in three of the other candidates: Jamie Mahaffey, Adair Carmichael & Nathan Chivington
Mahaffey...another guy successful because of transfers. I dont know the other 2 names.

I dont understand some of these hires.

Some coaches coach up kids and make bad teams decent. Make decent teams competitive. And talented teams really good.

A lot of these coaches are only successful when they "bring in" talent. How hard is that to see? Really?

Dan Fleming could take 5 kids outta gym class and make them compete on Friday night.

How many coaches can REALLY coach up kids?
Old 05-04-18, 11:28 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt Rambis View Post
Mahaffey...another guy successful because of transfers. I dont know the other 2 names.

I dont understand some of these hires.

Some coaches coach up kids and make bad teams decent. Make decent teams competitive. And talented teams really good.

A lot of these coaches are only successful when they "bring in" talent. How hard is that to see? Really?

Dan Fleming could take 5 kids outta gym class and make them compete on Friday night.

How many coaches can REALLY coach up kids?
Hey Kurt Rambis-- Adair Carmichael (former player of mine) is the current HC at Mt. Healthy after many years at Lakota West as asst coach and Chivington is HC at Dayton Fairborn. You are correct that HC's are successful when they have talent--very hard to "bring in talent" at the high school level unless you are private HS and have a large area to get student/athletes to enroll. Check out the list below of D-1 schools in the Cincy Sectional this year who have 10 or more wins the past 4 years--it's hard to get double-digit wins over 4 classes, especially at public high schools that just can't " bring in" talent like a college recruiter:

Division I Programs in Cincinnati with double-digit wins in each of the last 4 years--it's not easy through a set of 4 classes to maintain consistency in D-1--10 out of 32 schools have been able to accomplish double-digit wins for the past 4 years:

GMC:
Oak Hills
Mason
Lakota East

GCL:
Moeller
LaSalle
Elder

ECC:
Walnut Hills
Anderson

SWOL:
Northwest

SBAAC:
Wilmington

All coaches, even Fleming and Kremer, would tell you that a coach has to have talent in order to win consistently--even 10 wins or more per year--Rooks is a good coach as he proved it at Wyoming and as asst at Moe--he didn't have the Jimmy and Joes over 4 years at West--maybe Leon will repeat what he did at Woodward back in the late 80's early 90's--also West had no teaching jobs so the pool of coaches was very limited to anyone who would commute to coach--hard to do that for a very long time!!
Old 05-04-18, 11:42 AM
Freshman

RetiredCoach is on a distinguished road
Quote:
This was a terrible hire and this will continue the dominance of East over West. No idea why old coaches get recycled, and this is coming from an old coach.
Old 05-04-18, 11:45 AM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
We shall see, I did see his Mariemont team play this season and believe they were well coached. West had no teaching positions open which limits your search. Here is my question if you question this hire, who do you expect to apply? Are there good candidates out there??
Old 05-04-18, 12:03 PM
Freshman

Quote:
We shall see, I did see his Mariemont team play this season and believe they were well coached. West had no teaching positions open which limits your search. Here is my question if you question this hire, who do you expect to apply? Are there good candidates out there??
There were plenty of good candidates out there. I would hire a younger coach who has had success at a Dayton school that actually lives in the Lakota district.
Old 05-04-18, 12:08 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredCoach View Post
There were plenty of good candidates out there. I would hire a younger coach who has had success at a Dayton school that actually lives in the Lakota district.
That coach you speak of was not going to work all day at Butler HS, drive 40 minutes to West, practice from 5-7, and then head home in Lakota district--they had no teaching jobs available, and I'm not sure what he teaches, but they have no openings. Yes he is young, but other factors come into play when coaches seek jobs--and he is already a HC at Butler--not like he is moving up to a higher position. Leon and other older coaches with the passion to coach can do fine--Leon's teams at Woodward, Clark, and Mariemont were well-coached with various degrees of talent. West will be fine if they have more talent than the past two years under Rooks.
Old 05-04-18, 12:30 PM
Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometCountry View Post
That coach you speak of was not going to work all day at Butler HS, drive 40 minutes to West, practice from 5-7, and then head home in Lakota district--they had no teaching jobs available, and I'm not sure what he teaches, but they have no openings. Yes he is young, but other factors come into play when coaches seek jobs--and he is already a HC at Butler--not like he is moving up to a higher position. Leon and other older coaches with the passion to coach can do fine--Leon's teams at Woodward, Clark, and Mariemont were well-coached with various degrees of talent. West will be fine if they have more talent than the past two years under Rooks.
If a school district is serious about athletics, they will start having coaches in the building and make sure to have teaching jobs available. Hamilton created a job for their new coach.