Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-17-18, 01:26 PM
Junior Varsity

AlwaysDoYourBest is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Nut View Post
Pickerington, the IMG of Central Ohio.
No, that will be COF Academy in Columbus!
Old 05-17-18, 07:54 PM
All World

Harrycrane is an unknown quantity at this point
A few things I left out that I wanted to mention about the schedule thoughts . I do this from off the top of my head so sometimes I forget a few things that I wanted to mention .

Perrysburg - I noticed I was a bit , umm disrespectful to a proud program that has had some recent success. Film from last year tells me that it's still a mismatch but P-Burg may hang around a bit longer ? Rocks will be excited as all teams are I week one especially at home so that should take care of the overconfidence .

Jerome - no revision or anything to add .

Gahanna - Poster intimated that Lowery might be going " home" WHATEVER THAT MEANS to PN , a week 5 opponent of the Rocks . HMM well if he leaves the odds of beating Gahanna on the road go way up . PN game ? Well your smart you get the converse . But like a lot of supposed Information , there is a brown paste surrounding it.

Tangy - Well this is a direct challenge to the conditioning and work ethic of the Rock players. Bottom line is Solis punishes his kids from a conditioning standpoint. 2016 Rocks had experience and raw personnel advantages and the game was over early . Last year? Both game were competitive , but it is clear that the Braves outplayed you in the 4th quarters and the second halves in general. When you are putting in the work the next couple months and change AND ONCE THE SEASON STARTS, remember that the Braves out conditioned you and work accordingly .

PN - See post above.

Davidson - Kind of a Tangy post part 2 , You know that White is a master of revenge motivation right? He isn't as good when he can't go to that well. { 2016 He had his team playing at it's apex and over it's head quite frankly and won the regular season meeting and the Central title} . Second game ? What was his motivational angle? Hmm probably didn't have one , he had to go to Coffman for a second time and tell his kids to do what they did in the first game and beat a team that was probably better than his team for a second time in less than a month? they cam no where near the level they got to a few weeks earlier emotionally and got handled easily.

This time around ? White plays the Coffman rivalry up big time when his team lost the last one especially. Well he has lost TWO in a row in game s where his team had trouble moving it on the ground at all . Got out played from a physical standpoint the last two times .

So with an experienced team off two losses to his rival ? Rocks have to realize which they do NO ONE WORKS harder than Davidson in the weight room and conditioning wise , so the Rocks have to keep that in mind when they are putting in the work conditioning wise because mentally the Cats will likely be razor sharp and if they match the physical condition the chances go way up that victory will be achieved because if you do that your talent and skill can be the difference.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 05-18-18 at 04:09 AM.
Old 06-02-18, 06:07 PM
All World

It's June . The big push towards camp and what should be the hardest work that players should be doing as if preparing for a championship fight.

June and the first two weeks of July is prime time to get that last bit of improvement and sharpening of your skills and physical and mental strength .

QB'S throwing to receivers, working on mechanics , footwork, routes, precision . 7 on 7 follows this and a test of where you are in the work you put in .

Lineman working tirelessly on footwork and explosive quickness. Building camaraderie in the weight room, quicker guys pushing the slower afoot to get quicker, the stronger urging and pushing the quicker to get stronger?

MAKING WEAKNESSES a strength is the ultimate in improvement and pushing yourself.

Some kids getting some things done some new offers, some new improvements . I think the team has a lot of potential .

QB situation is promising with Brown a big strong runner a the very least . but he throws a nice deep ball with accuracy. Footwork and weight transfer was the biggest issues and I think that will be improved. Reminds me of Colton Caldwell who took over in 2009 when Cole Stoudt broke his leg.

Was playing TE most of the season and was damn good at it . Stepped in at QB and was a horse running the rock . About 225 and moved well. Had great hands as a TE as well . Threw a great deep ball

Ethan Brown is about 210- 215 and runs faster than Colt. Will be a threat and can sling it with a flick of the wrist deep and accurate , Improvement has to be found in the intermediate and short passing game .

He will have a nice stable of receivers to throw to and I think a group of Seniors who will have a chip on their shoulders from not getting as much attention as some other groups of 2019's .

Younger Rocks have gotten the offers , [ 2021 Kirk and 2020 Drennan, and newcomer 2021 Williams at LB-DE .} But the 2019 group has a lot of good tough football players who have some things to prove.

Interesting tidbit . Former Rock Mike Adams a former Buckeye and NFL player who after some stops and starts in his NFL career didn't play last year after being injured in 2016 . 'Big" Mike was a tackle and was at 322 pounds when he last played in 2016 .

Mike is now at 255 and 'Ripped" I mean six pack ripped . He is trying to make a comeback as a Tight End. Mike was always a freak athlete at his size no question. I saw him at the Dublin Rec center as a HS frosh playing hoops and was amazed at his feet at his size which made him a top recruit and an excellent player for OSU and second round draft pick.

Mike made one of the most athletic plays I have ever seen a BIG TACKLE { 285 pounds} at the HS level make when Coffman turned it over in the state Semi final vs ST X a heartbreaking 10-7 defeat and as a ST X defesninve back started up the field with the ball heading towards the Coffman end zone , 'BIG " Mike took off down the field and not only caught up to the kid but stripped the ball and Coffman got the ball back .

I don't know if Mike can make it back top the league as a TE, I realize that as well as he ran for a tackle he might not be fast enough as a TE but he in determined and looks great. Hands also need to be sharp . But we know he will block and is motivated. Good luck to Mike.
Old 06-04-18, 08:30 AM
Varsity

Saltlife is on a distinguished road
looks like the Dublin thread turned into a Picktown thread. PC loses their entire o line along with 2 D1 TEs. While, some have said they are loaded through jr high, the new o line and TEs will be a shadow of what left. My guess is Duwayne Carter and the new transfer(Karter Johnson) will have to pull double duty as DT and OL. Tough for big boys to do that and remain as dominant as they are. QB is tough but wont have the blocking like last year. big loss at DB and LB. I think they struggle to score but as always have a great defense with that returning dline. Overall, they will not be remotely close to a championship team as last year. PN loses on of the best QBs in the state. No matter how you slice it that is a tough starting point regardless of whoever transfers in, and yes some are coming. Oline will be tough, probably best receiving group in state, RB by committee like last year. Defense loses Alex Williams(OSU) and some DBs but returns a few studs at LB and DL. If QB questions are answered North could be as tough as last year.
Old 06-04-18, 03:21 PM
All World

Not really , I mean I did a run through on the schedule and my quick thoughts on the match-ups. A Catholic supporter who likes Pickerington quite a bit as wel it seems said PN would get the running clock going early and crush Coffman .

He mocked Upper Arlington during his PN WILL CRUSH Coffman Implying that the Pickeringtons were completely different animals . PC won a state title last year so he ahs that, but UA beat PC two years in a row and yes it was a OOOOOONNNNGGGGGG time ago right?

2015 and 2016 { Coffman beat UA both years} . Not saying that UA is their equal or Coffman is either , but his point that this was a whole different experience playing these behemoths fell a little flat.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 06-04-18 at 05:33 PM.
Old 06-08-18, 06:46 PM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Region 2 appears very winnable; no Cleveland powers (St Ed, St Ignatius, Mentor), no Cincy powers (Colerain, Miller, X, Elder) and no Pickerington Central, Pick North, Hilliard Davidson or Wayne Huber Heights. Get by the Olentangy schools, Gahanna and perhaps Toledo Whitmer and you are into the State Semifinals. Based on traditional history and past state titles, Region 2 appears to be by far the easiest path to the state semifinals in Division 1.
Old 06-09-18, 12:34 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJ-OSU-STEELERS View Post
Region 2 appears very winnable; no Cleveland powers (St Ed, St Ignatius, Mentor), no Cincy powers (Colerain, Miller, X, Elder) and no Pickerington Central, Pick North, Hilliard Davidson or Wayne Huber Heights. Get by the Olentangy schools, Gahanna and perhaps Toledo Whitmer and you are into the State Semifinals. Based on traditional history and past state titles, Region 2 appears to be by far the easiest path to the state semifinals in Division 1.
I think the same exact post, verbatim, was made about 365 days ago and we see how that worked out. Let's focus on week 1....
Old 06-09-18, 01:09 PM
Varsity

yes week one for sure. was at the OSU camp yesterday. Saw a lot of local talent from all over central Ohio. it is going to be fun and coming fast!!! You can tell many of the kids are much bigger stronger faster than last year it is clear they have put in a lot of hard work. I noticed Pick North had most of their team there and they seem to be loaded. Many of their kids were working inside with the big recruits. They may be scary if qb rumors are true.
Old 06-09-18, 06:32 PM
All World

Yes Boss , team was eviscerated by Olentangy a complete beat down , box to wire beat down actually and Coffman was no where close to the mighty Olentangy Liberty Patriots who have never beaten them in EIGHT tires , but surely would have crushed Coffman by 4-5 TD's like they did Jerome .

I will do a quick prediction here , Boss will say the word Strawman and say that I am a vapid loser and well it is an every year exchange . I agree Terrible inexcusable loss to Olentangy , but to say the region isn't winnable by what Coffman has as a program ? It's winnable , but I agree improvements and adjustments need to happen
Old 06-11-18, 07:12 AM
All World

I think when you look at the statement that R-2 is winnable for Coffman , that is a different statement than saying 'They should or will the region.

If you break down the region last year it was winnable for a few programs and Coffman certainly was one of that small handful .

Coffman of course suffered may be one of their worst losses that I personally have witnessed to Olentangy in round one and was out of that conversation early and it made those who thought they 'Could" win the region look overly optimistic to slightly delusional I suppose if you want to get dramatic .

Rocks came out and dominated the first half but were up only 10-0 , kind of akin to a hockey team outshooting their opponent by a 4-1 margin halfway through the gamer having the puck in their opponents end of the ice 80 percent of the time somehow only being up one goal . Tangy being well coached had some real answers and Coffman once again couldn't get a first down to seal a win { Gahanna and some close wins saw this same Dynamic} Lost in the last 30 seconds with a Frosh basketball player winning a ball in the air . { Another problem last year that should improve this year} .

So they get dumped, Olentangy the next week probably should have beaten Whitmer , losing by an eyelash again at the end of the game feeling what Coffman did the week before . Whitmer was the top seed . Liberty took care of Gahanna in a close one and beat Whitmer in impressive fashion going to their first D-1 Final four .

Whitmer almost lost to 8 seed Lorain by the way. So this notion that the region isn't winnable for a handful of programs isn't accurate . I am not predicting the Rocks , but I am not saying it is very unlikely they can't play with just about anyone in this region. They certainly can .

If Rocks were to have played Liberty last year, the Patriots very may well have beaten the Rocks for the first time in what would have been 9 tries.

Liberty played well vs Mentor coming up short in a competitive game{ Yes some Mentor fans were saying that they were vastly superior to the Patriots as a I recall although game details and actual play suggested the gap wasn't that wide} .

So of course R-2 is the most winnable region for most publics , no question. Mentor is a great program and that has allowed them to sometimes beat ST Ed's and Iggy on occasion but that is a tough path having to get past both of them. The other publics in that region show some solid programs but the depth of that region is not what some NEO Ohio homers say it is.

R-4 is R-4 some real heavyweights in Catholics and Colerain obviously . R-3 with the Pickeringtons{ Central being the obvious top dog of that two } and Wayne have great athletic talent and some tough defensive lines among other qualities that are necessary to get to the Regional finals and or beyond as often as they do.

Of course the last 7 weeks of 'Training " is crucial along with some real work on the weaknesses of last year that can turn into more of a strength is certain areas this year , coaches examining things that didn't go well last year and making the adjustments .

Whitmer has the stud QB back , don't know a lot about them yet other than a few guys back most notably QB Keller of course , but they always have skill kids that can make plays and will again this season.

Coffman and the Olentangy's are in the same realm I believe , Gahanna ? QB is back a few other really nice athletes but do they take a step back? Liberty ? Will Rocks paly them at some point before getting them back as a conference foe?

Liberty has surpassed Coffman in the better all around sports program as they are kicking azzz in multiple sports . Coffman is doing well in many sports as well but Liberty overall is surging .

When Coffman first played Liberty in 2008 , Coffman was a larger school than Liberty who was just up from D-2 , Now ? Liberty is the bigger school and has grown into a sports program that once thought Coffman was the benchmark and model for them to follow . They crept closer and closer and now have surpassed as Coffman now has Liberty as a goal to get closer to in terms of overall sports program.

In football the programs have been in the same realm for a while now, but Coffman has managed to win all 8 meetings. Two blowouts, two comfortable wins , and 4 games that were very competitive .

I think this years game if it does happen ? Very competitive.
Old 06-11-18, 09:09 AM
All District

WJ-OSU-STEELERS is on a distinguished road
Lambeau Fields - Sorry but I did not make a post last year regarding the makeup of R2. If one very similar was posted by someone else think it shows that when one takes a look at R2 what stands out there is no traditional power, thus it looks like a very winnable region for about 10 schools to reach the state semifinals. The 2018 winner of R2 will be a underdog to any of the other 3 regional winners but they will have a chance to compete which at the end of the day is what every team wants.
Old 06-12-18, 12:18 PM
All Ohio

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltlife View Post
looks like the Dublin thread turned into a Picktown thread. PC loses their entire o line along with 2 D1 TEs. While, some have said they are loaded through jr high, the new o line and TEs will be a shadow of what left. My guess is Duwayne Carter and the new transfer(Karter Johnson) will have to pull double duty as DT and OL. Tough for big boys to do that and remain as dominant as they are. QB is tough but wont have the blocking like last year. big loss at DB and LB. I think they struggle to score but as always have a great defense with that returning dline. Overall, they will not be remotely close to a championship team as last year. PN loses on of the best QBs in the state. No matter how you slice it that is a tough starting point regardless of whoever transfers in, and yes some are coming. Oline will be tough, probably best receiving group in state, RB by committee like last year. Defense loses Alex Williams(OSU) and some DBs but returns a few studs at LB and DL. If QB questions are answered North could be as tough as last year.
Best receiving group in the state? Let us know when you find out who the new QB recruit is. As far as PC's O-line goes when I pick up OneT jr. from workouts I see a few bigs heading to their cars. I would not agree they will be a "shadow" of last years group. Wishful thinking by the always salty little brother PN fans. That triple state championship thing must have been hard on you folks.
Old 06-12-18, 01:48 PM
Varsity

I try to be unbiased in posts. The picktown back and forth is funny as both schools always have transfers and as you know many ex pick north kids contributed to last years central team. I stand by potentially best rec. corp in state. Read up on fridays articles regarding osu football camp. Chris Scott, tim cheatwood, tyler foster, and jack sawyer were all inside the building working with the recruits. all 4 are receives and or TE. That doesnt even include baylor, getting d1 looks. Not many teams in the state have that. As previously said all depends on who the qb is. Central lost the entire line including 2 d1 te, the new group cannot be as good as that seasoned group no matter who is coming up. Just an honest evaluation no bias or shot at central. they have great coaches and I'm sure they will coach the new line up but I cannot see it being as strong as last years dominant group. I did hear of another qb name this week, I'm curious if you have heard. Either way both picktown teams should be good.
Old 06-12-18, 04:46 PM
All World

Unreasonable to think PC O-Line plays to the same level last years group did. Those kids paid their dues got beaten and failed at times as young Soph's as I remember . I mean even the proclaimed by some poster soft" UA defensive front beat them in many one on one battles in that 2015 play-off game. Won the regular season game in 2016 as well.

That unit came a long way and got better over the last 2-3 years culminating in last years title run. Doesn't mean they won't be good, and they have horses in many areas.

North does have a really solid receiving corp. I I know Coffman will have to be at their best in order to compete in that one, but I think they will avoid the running clock as someone suggested.

I mean the QB Rumor with PN may be just that a 'Rumor". I THINK SOMEONE would know by now if they had some stud coming in .
Old 06-13-18, 02:42 PM
All World

Well I checked Lowery's twitter page not too long ago or at least I thought it was a short time ago, because it said Gahanna Lincoln in his bio , now? PN is snuck in the middle of that opening bio. Hmm what do you know.

Good for him I suppose , not good for Gahanna who loses two great players to the Pickeringtons, Lowery on his second transfer sandwiched Gahanna in between Forsh and SR. year at North .

Stable of receivers to throw to , may be that PO BOX , Or did he never leave Pic town in the first place? will help him put up bigger numbers and get the offer he hasn't got yet? I like him a lot , but not sure at this point what the transfer will do for his recruitment at QB at the D-1 level . Heading back to North will hardly make him 2 inches taller , 20 pounds heavier and a 4.5 40 guy?

As far as the Rocks go which is the crux of this thread , this means North's offense just got a lot harder to stay with , and made Gahanna a bit easier to deal with as both are on the Rocks schedule { Lions in week 2 in Gahanna , and PN in Pickerington in week 5}
Old 06-13-18, 03:04 PM
Varsity

winner winner chicken dinner. That's the rumor! Pick Central Guys are probably already calling OHSAA lol. Back to the Rocks thread, I know there is a ton of info regarding the team all over this thread, without spending hours rereading. please summarize as I'm looking forward to the PN Dublin game. I've read about the really good running back and my understanding is Dublin has a D1 2021 kid as does PN. I believe he is a DB. However, I am led to believe Dublin lost 3 good lbs. Please confirm. Also, regarding scheme, I recall Dublin use to run a 4-3 defense and a spread offense. Do they run zone coverage or have the athletes to man up? Any insight into schemes and philosophies would be greatly appreciated. PN will spread the field and as discussed have a ton of receivers. Can Dublin cover that many good receivers? Does their defensive front bring pressure or are they more of gap sound take up blockers and let lbs make plays.
Old 06-13-18, 04:56 PM
All World

The question that is interesting is does the PN kid whoever that may be who would haver started had Lowery not transferred back there, now go to Gahanna and compete to start ? And then go back to PN after Lowery leaves ?

That was tongue and cheek by the way . Anyway Coffman HAS two D-1 2021's Kirk who started at corner last year and Williams a DE/LB who played at Scioto last year and is transferring to Coffman it appears . The first kid I remember in a LONG time who started and attended Scioto and came to Coffman . Anyway Williams a Maryland move in a couple years ago is a stud .

Rocks have played a 3-4 the last couple years to take advantage of their excellent LB group , 3 of who graduated . Boateng is at Michigan State , Hoak who I thought was a MAC LB at least is at 1-AA Youngstown State and Crabtree is at D-2 Ashland . Senior to be Hamilton played outside and is a very good hybrid LB/Safety .

Will they go back to a more traditional 4-3 and play Williams at DE, or 3-4 and use Hamilton and Williams outside with Sr. Bartman who saw action when Hoak got dinged last year in the middle with the 4th to be determined .

They have three guys back out of 4 in the secondary including the aforementioned Soph Kirk who should be a lock down type already in his short career.

Rocks are a program known to rely on their strengths of having smart kids and run fairly sophisticated coverage packages more like a College program might. Not always best to overload kids with too much of course and sometimes just let kids run a little freer.

The thing is though the secondary got some great experience last year , took some lumps learned some lessons and appear better physically this year so while PN offers a huge challenge especially with Lowery chucking the rock the Rocks have some experience back and a few others who didn't see as much time that have good athletic ability { Williamson , Cam Kirk }

Last edited by Harrycrane; 06-13-18 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-13-18, 05:13 PM
Varsity

thanks for the summary. That williams kid hudl looks great. good get if he is transfering. probably more of an lb than de down the road? looks very athletic. Says he is 6 2 205?
Old 06-21-18, 07:17 AM
All World

Yes Williams is a great prospect and should have a ton of offers by this time next time next year . He stood out a bit last year and I had no idea he was only a Frosh initially.

Speaking of offers Drennan as predicted and obvious has added some scholly pelts to hang on the wall. Minnesota , Vanderbilt and his biggest one yet from Michigan a few days ago are the latest. He ahs double digit offers as he enters his Junior season and he looks great physically and hopefully he can stay healthy this season .

He's at about a solid 185 or so now at just under 6 feet. he will run with some power and his moves in the open field are what makes him a game changer. He's like the point guard who can break ankles, and his speed and strength gains are noticeable.

The Rocks well at QB was thought by some to be running a bit dry. That is not true. They have two good Soph's and excellent Junior and Senior Brown who looks good and ready to win the job . I will say the Junior looks really good and improved though . Two Sophs move well and throw it well at this point but as with most young guys at QB need work on the fundamentals , foot work weight transfer and accuracy. Command and pocket presence is always a work in progress .

Hoak was a great example of improving in these areas from Soph Yr. to Jr. year . Balls were thrown on time with much better balance and sound mechanics being shown through the throwing motion . Looking off safety's and pocket comfort advances were noticeable.

I see some of that in the Junior QB now. Rock QB tradition still looks strong right now.

In about a month or so it will be a Coffman 2018 thread and the Rock swill start the season flying under the radar as a top team in CO, placed well below the Pickeringtons and under the Olentangy's possibly and even Davidson .

What we often see is teams being rated in the pre-season by the previous years team's performance . Coffman has been overrated a few times I can remember , Davidson has , even the mighty Pickeringtons have . It happens , being a bit under the radar is a good thing IMO.

What I do see is a lot of athletic talent and movements on Coffman road , very solid QB talent through the top three classes . Some big O-lineman who should see improvement from last years performances and some new starters with potential .

Some solid defensive lineman and a LB crew that is way under the radar as a result of losing three excellent football players from last year's club that many touted as the best overall LB crew in Central Ohio. Newcomer Soph Williams should make an impact here , tough productive Sr. leader Hamilton as well , it remains to be seen if Bartman a Sr. who is really smart and got his feet wet last year can raise the level if his play.

Defensive backs can be an excellent group led by a young guy Kirk at Corner who will have may be dozens of offers before he is through at Coffman , two Safety's who started last year , Meadows and Drye who had good moments and not so good moments last year . There are a few guys who will battle for jobs and push this group .

This is the time of year where Senior leadership ramps up . The last push for added strength and speed, agility and conditioning that can be the difference early on .

The other thing is the receiving corp. can be very good, and their seems to be some improvement made in the off-season from a few of the guys . This position is one where you can really work on things that are really applicable to playing the game with pads on .

Route running is an obvious one , catching balls from your QB'S developing more chemistry and of course YOUR HANDS .

Coffman has taken pride as a program where the receivers don't drop the ball much , you can improve this part of your game . The Patriots the top ' program" in football constantly work on this aspect not only with receivers but their defensive players where the fire balls at them constantly from close range through the week knowing that dropped passes and potential interceptions dropped can the difference between winning or losing a ballgame .

Go out and catch some balls run some routes work on footwork { Lineman} and get that last push of improvement through the next five weeks.
Old 06-22-18, 05:42 PM
All World

Congrats to Mike “Donut “ Drennan for getting an Ohio State offer . Mike has worked really hard and has looked great at camps and it has paid off . Look forward to seeing him do his thing on the field this year after a tough injury plagued year last year .
Old 06-26-18, 08:50 AM
All World

Read a very interesting piece by John Mcallister the veteran Ohio scout who has his own site and has a lot of experience covering Ohio high school football and has seen it all in the recruiting realm and the changes that have occurred over the years.

Back in the day you could still get a look and or an offer during your Sr. Yr. . You had that first half of the season at least to show your stuff your improvement and in my last two years of football we had 3 guys get D-1 offers in late October { BC, Duke , and Ga Tech} . That's the way it was back then Now? First offers can come Frosh Yr. , you can pile up a truckload before playing a down Junior Year.

Mcallister sagely cautions the kids who get these earlier offers to realize that they are offers with strings attached , not FIRM in many cases. You get badly hurt? You don't work hard to improve ? Your grades go down? You display a poor attitude ? Trouble off the field? PFFFT there can go the offer like a fart in the wind .

You often see these 'Offers " come in bunches as once a program sees a rival offer a younger recruit they also offer to try to block their rival from being at the top of that recruits list. Everyone wants to be in the running for the best kids at the very least. In the end though some of these early offers which aren't guaranteed fade away and the school basically loses interest after a few kids they have higher on their list accept the offer. { Danny Clark a notable example but just one of many} .

The best way to make sure that offers don't fade away? Put the work in , keep your grades up, improve your ACT or SAT scores, show leadership , keep a good team first attitude . Don't be a prima donna . Get stronger each year , try to get quicker and faster, more agile. Improve and work on your fundamentals.

Being sound fundamentally doesn't happen by accident , what you see on Friday nights, Saturday and Sunday afternoons isn't by chance , these fundamentals are honed as a result of WORK.

Mcallister also like myself believe that kids once they get a handful of offers, not hastily just commit to the school with the biggest reputation or ranking and look at overall 'FIT" academic fit and your future ability to get on the field . Nothing wrong with shooting for the stars , don't get me wrong , but the NFL is littered with undrafted players , many from less glamourous schools .

5 weeks until camp , time for those last gains in strength. Still time to sharpen ball skills, footwork , fundamentals , route running. Team building and leadership roles starts in the weight room , on field workouts, team camp , 7 on 7 and in just hanging out with each other away from training . Trust and relationships are as important to the process of wining as anything physical .

Working hard and preparing yourself both physically and mentally is a reward in itself no matter what your win or loss record eventually says . That is the best advice I and my teammates ever got back in the day .

Coach said it was akin to walking into the classroom to take a mid term and being completely prepared and that feeling that you had before you even opened the blue book . Calm quiet confidence and satisfaction that came with listening and paying attention in class taking good notes, using every available resource if you need extra help , and just doing the day to day prep and then intense study the couple days before the test and being ready to roll.

Same thing in sports fellas he said. Lifting, running , doing hills , sprints , running routes and working out with your QB, Catching a lot of balls , building closeness with your teammates , team bonding and building through group sacrifice and work . Individual work , QB camps , general camps whatever it takes to improve and prepare to be at your best once the season starts.

Do these things and put in the work and you feel accomplished and confident before the season even starts. Winning is hard work , it isn't easy, if it was more teams would win .

Available resources include studying future opponents on Hudl or storied rivals or other tape you can often find on the internet . Coaches aren't doing their jobs if they aren't using these resources and most do of course, but players can also . Sometimes your opponent this year lost a bunch of starters and you don't know who you will be facing, I get that but there are many guys can research and if you on or two 'Tells" or tendency's that can help you it's worth it.

You think film and tape study doesn't help? Did you see the documentary 'Tom vs Time? You think Tom brady was just born with great anticipation skill , timing and field vision? think again, he puts in the WORK and ahs for decades at this point and is still hungry. Pours over hours and hours of film to get really comfortable with his opponents tendency's and tells. KNOWS most of the answers before the test as he says . he's comfortable and satisfied with his preparation as are all the Patriots . Can it be a pain ion the AZZ ? Of course it is , but nothing worthwhile is EASY . Rewards are meant to be HARD to attain.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 06-26-18 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-12-18, 04:31 PM
All World

Two weeks and change before camp starts. Time has flown by . Players know it's go time and their summer is nearing it's end. Younger Rocks continue to get some nice offers { Jr. Drennan double digits including OSU , Soph Kirk has a few at this early time, and Soph Scioto transfer Williams is getting attention and grabbed an offer from BC who has a chief recruiter with Ohio ties }.

Senior group doesn't have any D-1 offers as of now so that means there won't be any most likely . A lot of good football players in this class and there will be players playing in college no question. Coffman players should keep in mind that if they take care of academics and the school is a very competitive academic school of course that doors open at the lower levels , and importantly money can be found at non scholly level schools as well.

1-AA level does offer a lot of money and D-2 offers some money as well but unfortunately D-2 schools academically speaking are lacking and sometimes aren't a academic fit for good students.

D-3 schools are a different story. From personal family and friend experience I know that D-3 schools that are very strong academic institutions will find money for athletes in merit packages and good athletes also can get preferential treatment from admissions deciders as well.
Old 07-12-18, 04:42 PM
All World

Coffman players in the Senior class to continue the college thoughts are in the position to apply to schools that will consider their ability on the football field in their decisions to admit and what there important financial package will be.

Senior Ryan Hamilton is a possible Ivy league player and will get some attention , he will be one of the best players on the team this year at outside backer/ secondary hybrid. Works incredibly hard is strong as an Ox and his academics will set him up well in the future. NO question that kids need to keep in mind that academically they can set themselves up for not only a better chance for admittance and more generous financial packages from highly competitive academic schools but also get additional consideration from the financial people.

Coffman has a lot of smart motivated kids who also work hard in athletics and that combo is not as prevalent as you think and I would encourage kids to sometimes overreach in their search of schools with this dynamic in mind . Not everyone is a D-1 athlete and not everyone has a strong academic record and a high test score , so if you do take advantage of it and reach for a great fit both athletically and academically . The academic part will serve you a lot longer.

Last edited by Harrycrane; 07-12-18 at 04:54 PM.
Old 07-18-18, 06:30 AM
All World

Less than two weeks before camp starts as time flies by and players get their last pre-season work in .

One of my favorite quotes from an old school coach { Bob Knight} was 'Everyone has the will to win " but not everyone has the 'Will to PREPARE" to win . That is always something to keep in mind when you want to skip a workout or not work on your speed and agility. You rationalize that you will do a harder workout tomorrow .

Last improvements to make until you put on the pads for good . Remember the losses in the second half last year when you condition. What can coaches change in their approach ? Sometimes you have a long time staff and do thigns exactly the same way for years, , is there anything conditioning wise IN SEASON you can do differently? Emphasize certain fundamentals more, ? What can players do differently ?

Part of the process of getting better and progressing as a player is going through some failure and learning from it . Junior and Sophomore first year starters often are feeling their way out there at first . they know where to be and have some physical capabilities but aren't quite there yet.

The next step in your second year of starting is having an even better grasp of alignment and assignment , more physical strength and confidence , and putting ti together to the point where you are making more 'PLAYS" . you aren't a half step behind anymore you anticipate better, first reactions are better. You are in better position to make plays and your are more physically capable of making plays.

That's where a good handful of Rocks are heading into camp this year. Lineman should be more confident in their feet and footwork , hand placement , their strength and should be more confident in their ability to finish blocks and create space for the talented skill kids.

Team has a lot of potential , a lot of athletic ability that needs to find a place on then field . Coaches have some work to do to achieve that as there are some kids I can see may be switching sides of the ball possibly?

Biggest area of concern is obvious . FRONT SEVEN. You can't lose players like the three LB'S [Crab, Hoak , J-lord} NG Bagozzi and unconventional{ 5-6 200 and could return kicks} } DE playmaker Cummings and not have to re- vamp re-load and RE-boot a bit .

Speaking of LB'S congrats to Ryan Hamilton on his commitment to Columbia . Spoke in last post about kids having those types of options due to their hard work academically . World class university in a great city and playing competitive football in the Ivy league? Ivy league is getting better players now , better athletes. Coffman has had some strong defensive players going to the Ivy league as 2005 grad Clark Koury also played at Columbia and his brother Jake was an offensive lineman at Yale .

2010 grad Brett Buehler one of Coffman's best and most productive linebackers in their history played at Cornell . 2013 grad DE Miles McCollum played at Harvard .

Nice article on 2015 receiver Kyle Marcinick who is at Yale . Kyle was a very productive receiver for Coffman and turned in one of the all time performances in Rocks history with his 13 grab 3 td performance vs. Wayne in 2014 . Bad hamstring problems have really limited his time on the field after having a nice first season where he was named most valuable frosh in 2015. Lets hope he stays healthy and has a great Senior Yr.

I think Ryan made a great choice here and will be able to play there. He is one of the guys who MAKES PLAYS and he should make a lot of them this season.

Defensive backs are a group that should really be improved and they will make more plays . That experience and going against some good Qb's receivers and schemes will help.

The complete 5 game non division schedule features teams that al like to spread it out a bit in different variations of the spread . Unit will be key to the defense's success especially as they are the most experienced unit on defense.
Old 07-25-18, 01:11 PM
All World

This may be the last post or one of the last certainly in this 2017 thread as the 2018 season officially gets started on Monday the 30th. Will get the 2018 thread going at that point.

Scrimmaging Pick Central and Toledo Central Catholic early , last year St Charles showed up at Coffman stadium as well but seeing how that went I think they aren't going to be back . Coffman wasn't great either that day last year . PC doesn't have the same experience level this year so Coffman should fare a bit better this year .

Team goes over to DeSales again for their 4th year in a row for the second scrimmage n what should be as usual a tough hard hitting competitive scrimmage . Game like scrimmage vs Westy C ends the pre-season and that one is at Coffman. This is the third year these programs have squared off .

John Magistro is now gone at Westy C but is still coaching , he is assisting Solis at Olentangy this season bolstering what was already a pretty good staff.

A few areas that most think need to be improved from last year include

1} Deep passing game, more big plays . QB Brown has a bigger arm than Ernst did so that might be in the cards hopefully and the receivers as a group will be improved I believe as they have more experience and are going to use that to their advantage. A healthy Drennan obviously is huge and opens up things for others in addition to his being a big weapon.

2} Pass defense, were all first year starters last season{ One was a Frosh} and that showed at times against some really smart and talented QB'S and solid schemes. Three starters return and al will be better than last year .

Those two are the main things that I saw , but other areas to a lesser extent include ,

A] Offensive line . Two full time starters return and a third who would have started most likely but was hurt in a season ending injury in the pre-season. A few games against the better defensive lines { Olentangy notably} looked like they were on roller skates . That shouldn't happen this year as I think they have some potential with three dependable guys along with some newcomers who have good feet and potential .

B]. QB run game . Marcus Ernst was an effective runner , but he didn't run it as often as he could have . The Ohio State baseball signee could have kept teams more honest and may be they would have been able to run the clock out in key situations if he had taken advantage of his running skills more. QB Brown is a solid runner and a bigger kid who can be tough to take down. I think this area will also be improved.

C} Punt return game- simply didn't attempt to return them using Ernst back there . Not having Drennan available most of the season may have had something to do with that possibly but may be not . Certainly didn't conger up any memories of Trey Fairchild circa 2005-2007 returning kicks I must say.

D} Conditioning - ?? not sure how to speak about this because I don't go to practice obviously and don't know exactly what the in-season training schedule is . BUT they lost games late , were overtaken by some teams who seemed to have more answers and energy in the 4th quarters.

Veteran staff's can sometimes be stuck or get stuck in their ways , Coffman may have to look at some other things that they may be able to do to ramp up their physical conditioning in season routine.

I think film study will produce alternatives schematically against opponents that they played last year which is 8 of the 10 teams they play in the regular season.

Each week offers a different perspective and dynamics I these return match-ups . Personnel changes , a small coaching change, some position changes may be ? I have some thoughts on some of these match-ups and their unique dynamics that I will post in what could be the last post of the Coffman 2017 thread as 2018 is nearly here.
Old 07-25-18, 02:48 PM
All Region

AHM is on a distinguished road
Talking

How did the Rocks do at their big 7 on 7 last weekend?

I heard Hartley win it all?
Old 07-26-18, 08:50 AM
All World

Two weeks until the first scrimmage , PC and Toledo CC will provide great competition obviously and will test the players off season progress.

The Rocks have a lot of athletic skill and talent but as is always the case if you don't get it done up front that talent and skill doesn't matter much.

Defensively the team returns 6 guys who started full time, 5 Rocks and Soph Williams who started as a Frosh at Scioto last year and is an outstanding prospect as a DE/ LB . It will be interesting to see the progress and the improvement of the returning guys three in the secondary , Leader and Columbia commit Hamilton at LB/ DB , and Gill at DE.

Offensively there are about 6-7 guys who either started full time or played a lot of snaps in a rotation . The receivers will be more experienced and Drennan is as good a playmaker as there is Central Ohio and his absence for most of the year really hurt last year. He looks tremendous this off-season and should be a big factor this season obviously.

When guys like this go out , it isn't always just his missing production but he gets attention and that helps others and opens things up for them . Just last year in a key juncture vs Olentangy in the play-offs up 10-0 Tangy was doubling Drennan and it opened up a situation near the end of the half where another receiver was open behind the defense by 15 yards , unfortunately it wasn't completed and the Rocks went in up only 10 instead of 17-0 and a likely victory . { Should have won that game anyway }.

But you saw Tangy scrambling around to check Mike and the blown coverage should have cost them . Drennan catches the ball with his HANDS , and he has great mitts. Coffman receivers have a tradition of not dropping the ball a lot and that should continue this season .

First five games are non league with three rematches and two newcomers including a first ever meeting with Pick North.

Week one

Perrysburg -

History - Second meeting. last year at Perrysburg Coffman won 45-0

Last year Rocks averaged 7 yards a carry as they were just too big and strong up front . P-Burg will be better equipped this year , but those advantages should still exist for the Rocks . P-Burg also couldn't run the ball at all which made it easy for the Rocks pass defense to handle the spread attack as they also put a lot of pressure up front as well.

The Rocks lost arguably s their best trio of LB'S as a group in their history . So the run defense e in week one will be more of a work in progress. P-Burg will offer more resistance year may be but Rocks advantages personnel wise still exist and they should win comfortably.

AT Gahanna - Former scrimmage partner , this will be the rubber match of three in the last 3 seasons.

2016 Coffman 31-13
2017 Gahanna 34-32

Rocks won two play-off contests in 2006 and 2007 on their way to regional finals [Lost to state champ Davidson 28-20 in 2006 , and beat Darby 42-35 in 2007{Lost the next week 10-7 to undefeated number 4 in the country state champ ST X}

Lose their two best football players to transfer { DL TCU commit Johnson and QB Lowery } , Lions will still be athletic and Justus Harris is a class running back , shifty and runs well in traffic. O-Line is rebuilding , D-Line especially without Johnson ditto. DB'S appear to be the strength with speedster Trent a D-1 player back there again . LB's are on the smaller side but run well.

Rocks ran the ball at will in the second half last year and should be able to get some of the same stuff done this season . Week two is usually hot , the last two years in this match-up it was as well although the match-ups were a couple of weeks later . Rocks may try to wear down the smaller Lions in the heat making them commit another guy or two in the box.

Brutal loss last year in the last minute and change as transfer Bruckner caught a ball in the back of the end zone . Rocks will be ready for this one . Rusty Bucket down the street from the stadium could be a good pre-game spot.

AT Jerome - About a 6 minute trip down Brand road in a match-up that will be great for the community and will draw a huge crowd . Basketball teams have played some good ones that drew packed houses. Not sure this will sell out but it could come close .

Coach G-wich has been eager for this match-up since becoming Jerome's head guy and on radio interviews he has called for it . He is a great interview by the way and I opined that he was a really solid hire and he hasn't disappointed certainly getting the Celtics to the play-offs the last two seasons .

History

2012 - Coffman 48-6 - One of Coffman's best teams who was regional champ level but upset and fumbled away a first round game to Davidson a team they throttled in week 4 . Al Rocks early and often as they shut down the Jerome running attack led by GA Tech recruit Donovan Wilson . James Walsh ran and passed the Celts silly .

2013 Coffman 16-14 - Much different story in this one . Instant classic on a warm night at Coffman as John McGue kicked a 30 something yard field goal late to lift Coffman to a win they may be shouldn't have had . Celts may be out played the Rocks snap for snap as it was one of Coffman's least experienced teams . Celts made a couple plays really late to get in long FG range . Safety Reagan Malas who is playing at Dayton came flying off of the edge to block the game winning attempt that probably would have had the distance .

Coffman has more speed and more athletes , and is bigger, but Jerome will be formidable here. Coach G-Wich who is also a good twitter follow has been outspoken in his distaste for the current transfer situation that has exploded a bit in recent years , a kind of musical chairs that he never saw in the MAC when he was at Marion Local .

His 'Homegrown " mantra is palpable . It permeates the program and it is a great dynamic seeing as though Jerome really isn't a place where families can readily transfer in for economic reasons. that really narrows any possibility that it will be able to attract certain athletes.

His digs in the press may be partially aimed at district rival Coffman as the Rocks have two recent transfers on their roster this year{ The aforementioned Soph Williams a Maryland move in who layed at Scioto last year the first Scioto transfer in many years and Diallo from Westland who is the first from there } and have gotten a few others the last few years. Of course there are a handful of D-1 programs that consistently get more and higher profile transfers than Coffman does. Coach G benefitted from Two Sells and Coffman district residents choosing to enroll at Jerome in the Henderson cousins who both got D-1 scholly's however . they weren't Jerome district 'Homegrowns".

G-WICH is building a classy program and will be successful , will he ever be in the position where kids and their families will seek this program out and move to the greater Muirfield area? Not likely , but it won't be because he isn't a really good coach and program builder though. It is more of a practicality issue obviously.

Jerome has some good solid players and Cam Craig is a stud up front , but this year anyway the Rocks appear to have enough personnel wise to handle the Celts over 48 minutes as Celts have less depth. the schools are close in enrollment now but Rocks have more players. . Rocks need to match the emotion of Jerome and they should be OK.

Olentangy - Fourth meeting in two years time.

2016 Coffman 31-0
2017 Olentangy 31-14
play-offs

Olentangy 28-24 -

First game Tangy dominated the last 15 minutes of the game pulling away , Coffman controlled the second game for close to three quarters but Tangy came late and won near the buzzer. Excruciating loss , no other way to put it . Can't lose those type of games , second of the three losses on the season to come on a longer pass late in the proceedings. Another game the Rocks failed to run the clock out on , should have bene way up at the half as they completely dominated but missed opportunity's came back to bite them .

Familiarity breeds contempt and I think that will be the case here. Rocks had some issues blocking their defensive line last year and still moved the ball at times and scored some points and averaged about 20 points a game in the two meetings . That issue should not reappear this year. Tangy is in a big rebuild mode on defense as they graduated their top D-lineman { Slade brothers et al} and their LB'S as well .

Coffman dominated up front against a less experienced Tangy front seven two years ago in the 31-0 dominant win. the same basic dynamic up front anyway with the Braves defense may exist here. Braves offense is another story as they have good playmakers , io pass catchers Ohio State Basebal commit and excellent athlete Sr. Kaiser , Sr. big TE Drummond who is a D-1 Athlete , Soph. Middleton a tall athletic kid who caught winning TD late last year. Konadu saw action at RB behind Iverson and is a solid back . QB should be Hagge who started as a Soph. but lost his job last year to the better athlete Bruening.

O-line needs revamping as well though so the Rocks should attempt to win as many battles up front as possible with more experience and strength than the Braves might have this season .

Week 5 is Pick North who appears loaded on offense but may be rebuilding on defense. Taking a longer look at them .
Old 07-26-18, 09:21 AM
All Ohio

OneTiger is on a distinguished road
Harry Crane, I was extremely impressed with TCC last year at the 3-way. They play hard and are well coached. I might make it again this year as there seems to be so much concern about PC's "O" line from others. I personally have 0 doubt they'll be o-k. I just realized PC has 4 former NFL players on staff with 7 players from their household's in the PC mix grades 8-12. OneT jr. is also in that mix. Despite all the bickering with PN we are good friends with many of the players and their families over there. They are pounding their chest's around town already. I hear Rburg is loaded also. Can't wait for the scrimmages to start.
Old 07-26-18, 10:20 AM
All World

Yes a lot of talent at TCC no question . I think PC will be fine eventually at O-line but it is something some are seeing as an issue because they have to replace the entire unit .

Doesn]'t mean there aren't good players stepping in certainly. Enough talent to be a very good team especially with the Qb you have.

PN is loaded on offense , two TE'S a stable of receivers , got the trigger man. they may have some questions on the O-Line? And I think their defense has some unknown answers to a few questions.
Old 07-27-18, 08:47 PM
Varsity

KramericaIndustries is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrycrane View Post
Two weeks until the first scrimmage , PC and Toledo CC will provide great competition obviously and will test the players off season progress.

The Rocks have a lot of athletic skill and talent but as is always the case if you don't get it done up front that talent and skill doesn't matter much.

Defensively the team returns 6 guys who started full time, 5 Rocks and Soph Williams who started as a Frosh at Scioto last year and is an outstanding prospect as a DE/ LB . It will be interesting to see the progress and the improvement of the returning guys three in the secondary , Leader and Columbia commit Hamilton at LB/ DB , and Gill at DE.

Offensively there are about 6-7 guys who either started full time or played a lot of snaps in a rotation . The receivers will be more experienced and Drennan is as good a playmaker as there is Central Ohio and his absence for most of the year really hurt last year. He looks tremendous this off-season and should be a big factor this season obviously.

When guys like this go out , it isn't always just his missing production but he gets attention and that helps others and opens things up for them . Just last year in a key juncture vs Olentangy in the play-offs up 10-0 Tangy was doubling Drennan and it opened up a situation near the end of the half where another receiver was open behind the defense by 15 yards , unfortunately it wasn't completed and the Rocks went in up only 10 instead of 17-0 and a likely victory . { Should have won that game anyway }.

But you saw Tangy scrambling around to check Mike and the blown coverage should have cost them . Drennan catches the ball with his HANDS , and he has great mitts. Coffman receivers have a tradition of not dropping the ball a lot and that should continue this season .

First five games are non league with three rematches and two newcomers including a first ever meeting with Pick North.

Week one

Perrysburg -

History - Second meeting. last year at Perrysburg Coffman won 45-0

Last year Rocks averaged 7 yards a carry as they were just too big and strong up front . P-Burg will be better equipped this year , but those advantages should still exist for the Rocks . P-Burg also couldn't run the ball at all which made it easy for the Rocks pass defense to handle the spread attack as they also put a lot of pressure up front as well.

The Rocks lost arguably s their best trio of LB'S as a group in their history . So the run defense e in week one will be more of a work in progress. P-Burg will offer more resistance year may be but Rocks advantages personnel wise still exist and they should win comfortably.

AT Gahanna - Former scrimmage partner , this will be the rubber match of three in the last 3 seasons.

2016 Coffman 31-13
2017 Gahanna 34-32

Rocks won two play-off contests in 2006 and 2007 on their way to regional finals [Lost to state champ Davidson 28-20 in 2006 , and beat Darby 42-35 in 2007{Lost the next week 10-7 to undefeated number 4 in the country state champ ST X}

Lose their two best football players to transfer { DL TCU commit Johnson and QB Lowery } , Lions will still be athletic and Justus Harris is a class running back , shifty and runs well in traffic. O-Line is rebuilding , D-Line especially without Johnson ditto. DB'S appear to be the strength with speedster Trent a D-1 player back there again . LB's are on the smaller side but run well.

Rocks ran the ball at will in the second half last year and should be able to get some of the same stuff done this season . Week two is usually hot , the last two years in this match-up it was as well although the match-ups were a couple of weeks later . Rocks may try to wear down the smaller Lions in the heat making them commit another guy or two in the box.

Brutal loss last year in the last minute and change as transfer Bruckner caught a ball in the back of the end zone . Rocks will be ready for this one . Rusty Bucket down the street from the stadium could be a good pre-game spot.

AT Jerome - About a 6 minute trip down Brand road in a match-up that will be great for the community and will draw a huge crowd . Basketball teams have played some good ones that drew packed houses. Not sure this will sell out but it could come close .

Coach G-wich has been eager for this match-up since becoming Jerome's head guy and on radio interviews he has called for it . He is a great interview by the way and I opined that he was a really solid hire and he hasn't disappointed certainly getting the Celtics to the play-offs the last two seasons .

History

2012 - Coffman 48-6 - One of Coffman's best teams who was regional champ level but upset and fumbled away a first round game to Davidson a team they throttled in week 4 . Al Rocks early and often as they shut down the Jerome running attack led by GA Tech recruit Donovan Wilson . James Walsh ran and passed the Celts silly .

2013 Coffman 16-14 - Much different story in this one . Instant classic on a warm night at Coffman as John McGue kicked a 30 something yard field goal late to lift Coffman to a win they may be shouldn't have had . Celts may be out played the Rocks snap for snap as it was one of Coffman's least experienced teams . Celts made a couple plays really late to get in long FG range . Safety Reagan Malas who is playing at Dayton came flying off of the edge to block the game winning attempt that probably would have had the distance .

Coffman has more speed and more athletes , and is bigger, but Jerome will be formidable here. Coach G-Wich who is also a good twitter follow has been outspoken in his distaste for the current transfer situation that has exploded a bit in recent years , a kind of musical chairs that he never saw in the MAC when he was at Marion Local .

His 'Homegrown " mantra is palpable . It permeates the program and it is a great dynamic seeing as though Jerome really isn't a place where families can readily transfer in for economic reasons. that really narrows any possibility that it will be able to attract certain athletes.

His digs in the press may be partially aimed at district rival Coffman as the Rocks have two recent transfers on their roster this year{ The aforementioned Soph Williams a Maryland move in who layed at Scioto last year the first Scioto transfer in many years and Diallo from Westland who is the first from there } and have gotten a few others the last few years. Of course there are a handful of D-1 programs that consistently get more and higher profile transfers than Coffman does. Coach G benefitted from Two Sells and Coffman district residents choosing to enroll at Jerome in the Henderson cousins who both got D-1 scholly's however . they weren't Jerome district 'Homegrowns".

G-WICH is building a classy program and will be successful , will he ever be in the position where kids and their families will seek this program out and move to the greater Muirfield area? Not likely , but it won't be because he isn't a really good coach and program builder though. It is more of a practicality issue obviously.

Jerome has some good solid players and Cam Craig is a stud up front , but this year anyway the Rocks appear to have enough personnel wise to handle the Celts over 48 minutes as Celts have less depth. the schools are close in enrollment now but Rocks have more players. . Rocks need to match the emotion of Jerome and they should be OK.

Olentangy - Fourth meeting in two years time.

2016 Coffman 31-0
2017 Olentangy 31-14
play-offs

Olentangy 28-24 -

First game Tangy dominated the last 15 minutes of the game pulling away , Coffman controlled the second game for close to three quarters but Tangy came late and won near the buzzer. Excruciating loss , no other way to put it . Can't lose those type of games , second of the three losses on the season to come on a longer pass late in the proceedings. Another game the Rocks failed to run the clock out on , should have bene way up at the half as they completely dominated but missed opportunity's came back to bite them .

Familiarity breeds contempt and I think that will be the case here. Rocks had some issues blocking their defensive line last year and still moved the ball at times and scored some points and averaged about 20 points a game in the two meetings . That issue should not reappear this year. Tangy is in a big rebuild mode on defense as they graduated their top D-lineman { Slade brothers et al} and their LB'S as well .

Coffman dominated up front against a less experienced Tangy front seven two years ago in the 31-0 dominant win. the same basic dynamic up front anyway with the Braves defense may exist here. Braves offense is another story as they have good playmakers , io pass catchers Ohio State Basebal commit and excellent athlete Sr. Kaiser , Sr. big TE Drummond who is a D-1 Athlete , Soph. Middleton a tall athletic kid who caught winning TD late last year. Konadu saw action at RB behind Iverson and is a solid back . QB should be Hagge who started as a Soph. but lost his job last year to the better athlete Bruening.

O-line needs revamping as well though so the Rocks should attempt to win as many battles up front as possible with more experience and strength than the Braves might have this season .

Week 5 is Pick North who appears loaded on offense but may be rebuilding on defense. Taking a longer look at them .

HC, don't give Tangy a second thought this year. In addition to not having even remotely the same lines for the reasons you mentioned, the program has also been highly diluted from the opening of Olentangy Berlin.

Yes there are still some nice skill position kids there, but defense will be highly suspect and line play on both sides of the ball should be way down from last year.

I might even go so far as to say Darby actually has a shot to beat them this year. But won't go that overboard until we get some scrimmage feedback.