Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #511  
Old 05-22-18, 10:05 PM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,509
oxat622
Player with the ball in his hands has established his left foot as his pivot foot. If after he lifts it, he rests it on his right foot, so he's standing one foot on top of the other. He has not released the ball for a try for goal or pass. Traveling?
Reply With Quote
  #512  
Old 05-23-18, 06:06 AM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,488
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
Player with the ball in his hands has established his left foot as his pivot foot. If after he lifts it, he rests it on his right foot, so he's standing one foot on top of the other. He has not released the ball for a try for goal or pass. Traveling?
The violation occurs if he returns the pivot foot to the floor. The player did not do that here...

No violation
Reply With Quote
  #513  
Old 08-07-18, 10:51 PM
oxat622 oxat622 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 08-25-05
Location: Oakley
Posts: 1,509
oxat622
What is your threshold for technical fouls when a players is blowing off steam, but doesn't direct it towards officials or other players? Why do we automatically call technical fouls if someone slams the ball on the floor? Would you call a tech if a player kicks his chair on his way to the bench? Yells a four letter word? Punches the basket support? What's your rule of thumb?
Reply With Quote
  #514  
Old 08-08-18, 01:13 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,488
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
What is your threshold for technical fouls when a players is blowing off steam, but doesn't direct it towards officials or other players? Why do we automatically call technical fouls if someone slams the ball on the floor? Would you call a tech if a player kicks his chair on his way to the bench? Yells a four letter word? Punches the basket support? What's your rule of thumb?
It's all about context, except if the profanity is audible for others to hear. (Whack!)

If any of the above actions are in relation (immediate or delayed) to an official's judgment or ruling, those actions are unsporting in nature and are to be penalized with a Technical Foul. No if's ,and's, or but's.

If the actions are related to the player or a teammate making a mistake, a Technical Foul may or may not be warranted. Sometimes the act is met with a quiet word for the player, the captain, and/or coach. Sometimes it's met with a stern word for said player.

For example, when upset with himself/herself, the instance of slamming the ball to the floor warrants a Technical Foul he/she fails to catch the ball and it goes airborne after being slammed to the floor. The reason..... the fans may think the player is upset with a call, when in fact he's/she's upset with themselves. We can't allow any player to incite a crowd whether it be intentional or not. In the end, it's incumbent on the participants to keep their actions under control.

Knowing when to penalize and when to counsel is an acquired skill that generally comes with experience.
Reply With Quote
  #515  
Old 08-23-18, 07:56 AM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 223
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxat622 View Post
What is your threshold for technical fouls when a players is blowing off steam, but doesn't direct it towards officials or other players? Why do we automatically call technical fouls if someone slams the ball on the floor? Would you call a tech if a player kicks his chair on his way to the bench? Yells a four letter word? Punches the basket support? What's your rule of thumb?
What AllSports said.

Also, the rules don't require that poor behavior be directed at the officials for a technical foul to be issued. Profanity, for instance, is expressly prohibited and the rules don't say that it has to be directed at an official or opponent. Now, there is a common sense element as there is with most of the rules. If I'm the only one that can hear it, that's a situation where you can give a quiet scolding. But if a player curses loud enough to be heard in the stands, it has to be penalized even if he's blowing off steam.
Reply With Quote
  #516  
Old 11-17-18, 12:54 PM
coltfan76 coltfan76 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Posts: 576
coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Team A is shooting. In the rebounding action under the hoop, player A and player B end up shoving each other under the hoop. Referee steps between them as Player A is throwing a punch. Punch flies past referees head but doesn't make contact. Referee shoves player at least 4 times back toward his own bench. Player is ejected. Can referee be punished?
Reply With Quote
  #517  
Old 11-17-18, 12:59 PM
Philly_Cat Philly_Cat is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-11-13
Posts: 3,547
Philly_Cat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Team A is shooting. In the rebounding action under the hoop, player A and player B end up shoving each other under the hoop. Referee steps between them as Player A is throwing a punch. Punch flies past referees head but doesn't make contact. Referee shoves player at least 4 times back toward his own bench. Player is ejected. Can referee be punished?
Good lord! That post didn't end like I thought it would lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #518  
Old 11-17-18, 10:54 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,488
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
This has nothing to do with rules.....

It will be up to the league or state association to deal with the actions of the official.
Reply With Quote
  #519  
Old 11-21-18, 11:02 AM
coltfan76 coltfan76 is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 07-10-08
Posts: 576
coltfan76 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
This has nothing to do with rules.....

It will be up to the league or state association to deal with the actions of the official.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've just never seen anything like that in my 42 years of being around basketball and didn't know who to ask about it.
Reply With Quote
  #520  
Old 11-21-18, 06:38 PM
AllSports12 AllSports12 is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Posts: 3,488
AllSports12 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by coltfan76 View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I've just never seen anything like that in my 42 years of being around basketball and didn't know who to ask about it.
There's no way I could speculate what would happen without seeing a video.

Generally, we are discouraged from touching players. However, I have bear hugged one in the past, preventing him from delivering a retaliatory blow against a player who had nothing to do with an incident......

In other words, maybe a shove (or 4) was inappropriate and maybe it was.
Reply With Quote
  #521  
Old 11-28-18, 08:54 PM
TriangleMan TriangleMan is offline
All Ohio
 
Join Date: 11-23-15
Location: Stark County
Posts: 528
TriangleMan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllSports12 View Post
As officials, we use "A" and "B" to differentiate Offense and Defense and "K" and "R" to differentiate the Kicking and Receiving teams.
This was taken from the Football forum.

What is the nomenclature for offense/defense in Basketball? Any others in addition to offense/defense?
Reply With Quote
  #522  
Old 11-29-18, 12:26 PM
zebrastripes zebrastripes is offline
All District
 
Join Date: 12-26-14
Posts: 223
zebrastripes is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriangleMan View Post
This was taken from the Football forum.

What is the nomenclature for offense/defense in Basketball? Any others in addition to offense/defense?
Teams A and B are what the Case Book uses just like for football.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz