Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-13-18, 04:26 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
2018 US Open

This weekend at Shinnecock Hills. Great combination of links golf with elevation changes, yet again par will be a good score.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-18, 06:07 PM
All American

EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
FOX televising. I believe it will be on at 4:30 (?) tomorrow.
Old 06-13-18, 07:00 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
I always enjoy watching the pros get tormented. Not a big fan of the USGA and their continuing quest to make even par the goal, but watching the big names piss down their legs over a 3 footer is always a good time.

I think it may be John Rahm's turn. If he can putt reasonably well, I like his chances. Spieth has been playing poorly, but his putting always gives him a leg up on these courses. Dustin Johnson's always a threat, especially after he broke through at Oakmont, but it's tough to win two weeks in a row.
Old 06-14-18, 11:22 AM
All Yappi

Big names struggling early: Spieth, Mikelson, Watson, and Day are all well north of even par. McIlroy is double digit over par through 12, looking at a score in the 80s. I guess wind is the big factor the 1st day and if you look at the above picture at the flags that is a common issue at this course.
Old 06-16-18, 04:13 PM
All Yappi

clarkgriswold will become famous soon enoughclarkgriswold will become famous soon enough
Course is killing them today. The stuffy $h!+$ at the USGA are going to hear about this.
Old 06-16-18, 04:38 PM
All American

Username1 is on a distinguished road
I love it.
Old 06-17-18, 01:57 AM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Phil's going to be the hot topic for the next week after hitting his moving ball. Sure it's against the rules and he paid for it but for a few seconds today he did something every weekend hack has done. The gold purest will call for him to hand in his card and walk away from the sport.
Old 06-17-18, 07:41 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwr112 View Post
Phil's going to be the hot topic for the next week after hitting his moving ball. Sure it's against the rules and he paid for it but for a few seconds today he did something every weekend hack has done. The gold purest will call for him to hand in his card and walk away from the sport.
I suspect that if some nobody pulled that they'd have been on their way home last night.
Old 06-17-18, 07:55 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Always liked the guy, but it could not be more clear to me that Micklefat cheated. He stopped a moving ball from going off the green, changing it's course 180*. He RAN to be able to do it in time.

Heard a very angry guy say, "I'm trying to teach my kids how to play golf. We are watching the best players in the world, and now I have this guy cheating?".
Old 06-17-18, 07:57 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
I love it.
It's awesome if all are equally challenged, but the fact that it can be almost OK in the morning and then speed up so much that the leaders get hosed playing essentially a different course is a bit too much.
Old 06-17-18, 07:58 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I suspect that if some nobody pulled that they'd have been on their way home last night.
no doubt

eyeballs on screens
Old 06-17-18, 08:32 AM
All World

Raymo is on a distinguished road
Country club BABY,cheat if you can't handle it...BAM!
Old 06-17-18, 09:03 AM
All Ohio

USA70PP is an unknown quantity at this point
Who really cares? So he got a two stroke penalty, what do you want, that he should be burned at the stake?
Old 06-17-18, 10:54 AM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
@GaryParrishCBS
If you are truly upset about Phil Mickelson hitting a moving ball — which was hilarious, by the way — you are a nerd. No getting around it. You’re a nerd.
Old 06-17-18, 03:47 PM
All American

brianwr112 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
You can't just make up rules to throw someone out. He took his two stroke penalty. It will most likely cost him at least $20,000 in what he'll earn from this weekends results. Oh, and the USGA began advertising tickets for next years Open with him in the photo. Moves like that made Fox and the USGA a boat ton of money by bringing in unconventional viewers.
Old 06-17-18, 07:02 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
You can't just make up rules to throw someone out. He took his two stroke penalty. It will most likely cost him at least $20,000 in what he'll earn from this weekends results. Oh, and the USGA began advertising tickets for next years Open with him in the photo. Moves like that made Fox and the USGA a boat ton of money by bringing in unconventional viewers.
Not arguing the rules one way or the other. Just pointing out how they can be applied differently based upon the person involved. Also, I am not a fan of the USGA.
Old 06-17-18, 08:20 PM
All American

He wasn't even in contention. Like arrogate said you're probably nerd if that upset you or just a cry baby Dick.
Old 06-17-18, 08:23 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
It's awesome if all are equally challenged, but the fact that it can be almost OK in the morning and then speed up so much that the leaders get hosed playing essentially a different course is a bit too much.
It's not too much. The winner went even par.....exactly where he should be since he is a pro. He figured out the course and conditions and adapted.
Old 06-17-18, 08:26 PM
All American

And Phil isn't that big of a draw. Sure he will have a following if he is in the tournament, but he isn't drawing in the crowds like Tiger, Ricky, Jordan, Dustin, Rory.......
Old 06-18-18, 10:05 AM
All World

irish_buffalo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
Always liked the guy, but it could not be more clear to me that Micklefat cheated. He stopped a moving ball from going off the green, changing it's course 180*. He RAN to be able to do it in time.

Heard a very angry guy say, "I'm trying to teach my kids how to play golf. We are watching the best players in the world, and now I have this guy cheating?".
Never cared for Phil and I'm a lefty.

I remember several years back playing in Michigan and he waits until all the cameras are on him at the first tee and hands UM football tickets to some kid. He could have done that at any point, all about him. Guy's HS course was Torrey Pines.

And he should have been thoroughly investigated after it became known he owed Vegas bookies $1,000,000.

Think back to some tourny's he tanked after playing well. Just saying.
Old 06-18-18, 10:21 AM
All World

14Red is on a distinguished road
I watched about 2 minutes of the US Open. Golf on TV does not make it for me.

As for Phil, heard a national sports talk show host, Bill Simonson, Saturday night on CBS Sports Radio, rip Phil like none of the regular talking heads would. He basically said Phil is about as 2 faced as they come. He'll smile and talk to national media when it benefits him, but off camera, he's a spoiled brat who could care less about people. Said most pro golfers fit into this category.

And imagine being Brooks Koepka today? He's won back to back US Opens and no one knows him, unless you're a die hard golf fan. The stories was Tiger, Phil and a couple other big names and after that, everyone else is crap.

But we should not be surprised this is how sports are covered now. Cover a couple of star names or popular teams and everyone else is crap.
Old 06-18-18, 11:23 AM
All Yappi

The story of the weekend was actually the USGA and how they set this thing up. This course is a favorite of these guys, USGA is based in NJ just outside of NYC, and as one of the oldest in the country it is a founding course. So they want to trick it up and make it so hard to show the world what a great place this is and they are so cool for shooting a great score there during the member guest tournament.
Old 06-18-18, 12:46 PM
All Yappi

y2h is on a distinguished road
I don't get the vitriol toward Mickelson. He wasn't in contention and had some fun with it. It got people talking about golf. Frankly golf needs to be a little less stuffy and alittle more fun.
Old 06-18-18, 01:16 PM
Varsity

cat_lover is on a distinguished road
Phil cheated plain and simple. You would think a player of his caliber wouldn't stoop to that level. Every other golfer was playing the same holes.
Old 06-18-18, 03:06 PM
All Yappi

EastYoungstown will become famous soon enough
golfers complaining the course is too hard?

Babies...
Old 06-18-18, 04:21 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastYoungstown View Post
golfers complaining the course is too hard?

Babies...
They are not complaining about it being too hard but about it being unfair. You hit a good shot you should be awarded not penalized.
Old 06-18-18, 05:35 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
They are not complaining about it being too hard but about it being unfair. You hit a good shot you should be awarded not penalized.

What's your definition of good shot? Seems if the ball doesn't end up where it's in good play, it wasn't a good shot.

I agree with the sentiment, they're all playing the same course under the same conditions. Golfers loved Erin Hills and the same guy won, both places.
Old 06-18-18, 05:39 PM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastisbest View Post
What's your definition of good shot? Seems if the ball doesn't end up where it's in good play, it wasn't a good shot.
Seems like you know a lot about golf.

Quote:
I agree with the sentiment, they're all playing the same course under the same conditions. Golfers loved Erin Hills and the same guy won, both places.
Except they weren't. The course got markedly tougher as the day went on Saturday.
Old 06-18-18, 09:15 PM
All Yappi

eastisbest will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Seems like you know a lot about golf.

Except they weren't. The course got markedly tougher as the day went on Saturday.
and who was in the second to last group?

Are you done picking nits and taking things out of context there? His complaint wasn't playing order. It was course penalized "good shots." So tell me, if the shot goes in the bunker or unplayable when the course was "markedly" easier, is that a good shot or a bad shot? But you're going to claim the course is bad, if a player does same in the late rounds? What, they didn't all day replace their divits? Course froze later in the day due to some design flaw?

They all played the same course. They all had the same opportunity. And you didn't refute a single point. Be honest, did you? The players loved the course, last year? Same guy won last year?

And you just gave more to refute the point: the guy who won, played the course when it was "markedly tougher."

What would you have done differently, you being the architect and knowing so much about golf?
Old 06-18-18, 09:28 PM
All World

Arrogate is on a distinguished road
I am always so confused reading eastisbest posts.

Now i know how others feel when they read my rants!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: