Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Basketball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 05-31-18, 03:25 PM
All District

?????? is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwuerth View Post
Are you really that naive? Scott is still one of the best coaches in the city and the success at Summit has shown that. His only problem, other than misguided oblivious parents at X who thought their kids were better than they were, is that he wasnt going to recruit. Period.

Heck, ole Lallathin got in trouble for recruiting twice within his first month there. And the biggest recruiters in the city, Moe, was one of the schools that turned him in. The irony in that.
Martin was(is) a great coach, stats show that. That Lallathin dude was a clown. Wish they would have kept a couple more years. He's must see tv.
Martin out coaches him everyday of the week. As far as role model goes...Cmon Man
Old 05-31-18, 08:32 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Announced 5/30--Brian Kellett has accepted St. Xavier High School’s offer to become the interim varsity basketball coach for the 2018-19 school year.

Kellett, a 1998 St. Xavier graduate, played for four years in the St. X basketball program and served as captain during his senior year--Asst at Madeira

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...sketball-coach
Old 06-02-18, 08:59 PM
All District

AllBoutHoops is on a distinguished road
Listen, let me give you some insight into this guy and how he got his college gig at Kinnesaw State. He backstabbed and undercut a really good man who hired him to be the A.C.. that never works out well for anyone. ST. X got all starry eyed with the college HC resume instead of taking into account he lasted less than 12 months on the job. Kinnesaw State couldn't get him out of there quickly enough once they learned he was part of the problem to begin with. So X was stupid to consider him. Think about It! Why would someone go from a D1 college job to applying for ANY high school job unless he knew darn well he was done forever at the college level? That's a lesson to any high school AD who ever gets another resume with D1 college head coaching experience. That hire was destined to fail at its inception.
Old 06-05-18, 01:23 PM
All World

Vox Crusada is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Funny stuff. Folks really hate the truth.
Nobody hates the truth more than Scott Martin's girlfriend jwuerth
Old 06-05-18, 02:48 PM
All District

1 time is on a distinguished road
If you think some AD s and other administrators get it, I have some land in Hawaii for free. Then throw in some clueless school board members and you have a bad state of affairs at many schools.
Old 06-05-18, 04:44 PM
All American

Rabbit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox Crusada View Post
Nobody hates the truth more than Scott Martin's girlfriend jwuerth
Old 06-07-18, 06:47 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Scott is not a good enough coach to compete with the elite basketball programs in the city let alone state. His style does not play well with the elite players. And just as an aside, even the parents on his state championship team (where he went 10 deep) had problems with him.
Old 06-08-18, 08:36 AM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BASESWIMPARENT View Post
Scott is not a good enough coach to compete with the elite basketball programs in the city let alone state. His style does not play well with the elite players. And just as an aside, even the parents on his state championship team (where he went 10 deep) had problems with him.
Not sure how Scott Martin keeps getting ridiculed. He was and is a tremendous coach.
IN terms of the state title team...they won!?!?!
Whats to complain about? Certain guys didn't play enough?

Many coaches would say their "toughest years" are their best years because with all the wins and success come hurt feelings because "my kid doesn't get to contribute" to the great success.
Old 06-08-18, 02:56 PM
All World

Carl Rick is on a distinguished road
Seriously.....Martin had a great career. He obviously is and was an outstanding coach. The bashing should stop, St. X and he both moved on years ago.
Old 06-08-18, 04:02 PM
All District

Quote:
Even the parents...really? There has never been a basketball team in the history of high school hoops where some parents were not let down, mostly because of playing time.Pretty sure he would have had a bit more success the past few yrs than benny hill did
Old 06-08-18, 05:04 PM
All American

BusinessEnd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Rick View Post
Seriously.....Martin had a great career. He obviously is and was an outstanding coach. The bashing should stop, St. X and he both moved on years ago.
Agree 100%. Scott Martin is an exceptional HS basketball coach. For whatever reason it wasn't working at St. X and both parties moved on.

Hiring Lallathin didn't work out long term, but the St. X basketball program is in a better spot today than when they hired him.
Old 06-08-18, 06:40 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessEnd View Post
Agree 100%. Scott Martin is an exceptional HS basketball coach. For whatever reason it wasn't working at St. X and both parties moved on.

Hiring Lallathin didn't work out long term, but the St. X basketball program is in a better spot today than when they hired him.
Totally agree , way better off with him fired vs hired
Old 06-08-18, 07:24 PM
All American

cincyhoops is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ?????? View Post
Totally agree , way better off with him fired vs hired
So you're saying St. X has been better since Martin has been gone? Let's be honest, many of the games they won the last couple years is because they dumbed down the schedule.
Old 06-08-18, 08:46 PM
All Region

Clearly he was successful early in his career. That is not my point. Heck, if anybody shows up to play with Wolf, he wins two state championships in a very short period of time. I get it. But I am also saying that things changed and he did not. Good to great players that could have handled the academic rigors of X were not coming to play for him. Why? He was given more than a season to turn it around and did not. He is in the X Sports Hall of Fame. I am sure it hurt the X administration to the core to let him go and on top of that, he is a great teacher. My point is that sports development is important. Winning either is or is not important. I think development and winning is important. Especially if you are paying 14k a year to go to a school. I stand by my earlier post. Scott Martin cannot coach an elite program in the city of Cincinnati or State of Ohio. WINNING MATTERS. SUCCESS MATTERS.
Old 06-08-18, 09:23 PM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyhoops View Post
So you're saying St. X has been better since Martin has been gone? Let's be honest, many of the games they won the last couple years is because they dumbed down the schedule.
I think Martin was and probably is a great coach. I was talking about X being better without the recent coach(sarcasm). As I stated earlier, Martin would out coach him all day everyday.
Old 06-08-18, 11:28 PM
All American

Quote:
Clearly he was successful early in his career. That is not my point. Heck, if anybody shows up to play with Wolf, he wins two state championships in a very short period of time. I get it. But I am also saying that things changed and he did not. Good to great players that could have handled the academic rigors of X were not coming to play for him. Why? He was given more than a season to turn it around and did not. He is in the X Sports Hall of Fame. I am sure it hurt the X administration to the core to let him go and on top of that, he is a great teacher. My point is that sports development is important. Winning either is or is not important. I think development and winning is important. Especially if you are paying 14k a year to go to a school. I stand by my earlier post. Scott Martin cannot coach an elite program in the city of Cincinnati or State of Ohio. WINNING MATTERS. SUCCESS MATTERS.
Best way to measure a basketball coach... how was the program before you got there and how was the program after you left... compared to while you were there. St. X was better in both cases when Martin was there.
Old 06-11-18, 08:10 PM
All Region

I measure a coach, a coach of any sport, is by success as defined by a program reaching its potential. Coach Martin did that early in his X career and did not later in his career. I cannot speak on the recent coach except to say that he just won a GCL south game (which had not been done since '13). I hope X gets a Coach for its basketball program that in the long run helps its basketball players reach their potential.
Old 06-13-18, 12:16 PM
All Ohio

voice_of_reason is on a distinguished road
So what is the word on the new St X Coach?
Did the Roger Bacon coach apply for the St X position?

With the basketball players returning for X, where do people think X will finish in the GCL-S?
Old 06-13-18, 02:26 PM
All World

CometCountry is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post

With the basketball players returning for X, where do people think X will finish in the GCL-S?
From an earlier post at the end of May:

Announced 5/30--Brian Kellett has accepted St. Xavier High School’s offer to become the interim varsity basketball coach for the 2018-19 school year.

Kellett, a 1998 St. Xavier graduate, played for four years in the St. X basketball program and served as captain during his senior year--Asst at Madeira

https://www.wcpo.com/sports/high-sch...sketball-coach
Old 06-13-18, 04:04 PM
All Yappi

JElder is on a distinguished road
Quote:

It's Moe and then a complete toss up. Elder is the wild card. They have a great rising soph class that should receive several minutes this upcoming year. It really depends on how fast they mature. The upcoming frosh and soph classes together should be pretty special for the Panthers in the future.
Old 06-25-18, 07:09 AM
All World

jwuerth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I measure a coach, a coach of any sport, is by success as defined by a program reaching its potential. Coach Martin did that early in his X career and did not later in his career. I cannot speak on the recent coach except to say that he just won a GCL south game (which had not been done since '13). I hope X gets a Coach for its basketball program that in the long run helps its basketball players reach their potential.
You, fella, are very clueless. Just spewing garbage. But hey, many of the self entitled X folks talk that way.

X hired a bad apple and he got himself in trouble and had to go.
Old 06-26-18, 08:43 PM
All Region

Quote:
You, fella, are very clueless. Just spewing garbage. But hey, many of the self entitled X folks talk that way.

X hired a bad apple and he got himself in trouble and had to go.
1. You make too many assumptions that you have no idea what you are talking about.

2. I am not defending the coach that they just fired. Sounds like there may have been some stuff going on that was pretty unsavory.

3. For too long X athletics puts handcuffs on itself for no reason at all. The school is way too expensive and the students work way to hard for X to compromise their efforts for some ridiculous philosophical reasons .
Old 06-28-18, 11:54 AM
All Ohio

voice_of_reason is on a distinguished road
I am not in the know, to any detail when it comes to St X. But Yappi is the only place where I hear that the coach got fired for any reason. And if he was in some really bad trouble that put the school at risk for any type of legal action, would they let him resign?

What I had heard the reason for his resignation was there was differences with his department head.
Old 06-28-18, 08:18 PM
All American

Kballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
1. You make too many assumptions that you have no idea what you are talking about.

2. I am not defending the coach that they just fired. Sounds like there may have been some stuff going on that was pretty unsavory.

3. For too long X athletics puts handcuffs on itself for no reason at all. The school is way too expensive and the students work way to hard for X to compromise their efforts for some ridiculous philosophical reasons .
Don’t respond to him- just let it go away.
Old 07-02-18, 04:47 PM
All Region

Quote:
I am not in the know, to any detail when it comes to St X. But Yappi is the only place where I hear that the coach got fired for any reason. And if he was in some really bad trouble that put the school at risk for any type of legal action, would they let him resign?

What I had heard the reason for his resignation was there was differences with his department head.
From what I heard this weekend, it was a teacher department head thing
Old 07-03-18, 01:16 PM
All Ohio

DaPope is on a distinguished road
He was messing up paper work. It wasn’t typical stuff it was major Ohio Department of Education stuff, that could have gotten X in some major trouble. From my understanding it wasn’t a mistake either it was pretty bad.
Old 07-03-18, 04:15 PM
Junior Varsity

Kurt Rambis is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaPope View Post
He was messing up paper work. It wasn’t typical stuff it was major Ohio Department of Education stuff, that could have gotten X in some major trouble. From my understanding it wasn’t a mistake either it was pretty bad.
Correct.
Old 07-03-18, 07:37 PM
All Region

Well, it makes one wonder doesn't it
Old 07-03-18, 08:13 PM
All American

SMARTY22 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So basically this Coach couldn’t do his “real job” properly during school hours! Makes me wonder what kind of backdoor bs he pulled to get hired at X in the first place then!
Old 07-03-18, 11:04 PM
All American

Quote:
How hard can it be to be a special education teacher at St X?