Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Baseball

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-09-18, 04:13 AM
All Region

Old Wildcat is on a distinguished road
Travel baseball Rec teams

It's a shame how many dad's that coach move there Rec. Teams to travel just to say there teams play travel baseball. We drove a 1 hour and and 45 minutes last night to play a team that we beat
17-2 in Lorain. Game was at 6:00. This morning we play at BW to play a team the lost to the team we beat last night. Now there's I believe 36 teams in this tournament and there's some very very good teams but unfortunately there's some very bad ones. Coaches if you have a rec. Or local team play a Rec. Schedule and play in local leagues. Your not making your team better getting run ruled every game. I feel bad beating teams that bad but on the other hand I will not ask our boys not to play hard or worse yet get out on purpose. We go hard till we get to the run ruled then we back off. I feel bad for some of these teams. And rec. Team parents don't scream at the true travel teams for winning big yell at your coach for putting them in this situation.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-18, 11:06 AM
All District

FootballCrazy1 is on a distinguished road
I see your point, anyone who can print 12 jerseys thinks they are a travel team these days, but playing devils advocate here for a 2nd if your so loaded, so talented as you say then why don't you seek out only tournaments that offer a national competition type of atmosphere, don't play in local tournaments where u know you won't be challenged?? I know money and expenses are a major part of doing that but like most things you get what you pay for so to speak . And playing local only gets you so much competition
Old 06-10-18, 11:19 AM
All Yappi

cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
It's a shame how many dad's that coach move there Rec. Teams to travel just to say there teams play travel baseball. We drove a 1 hour and and 45 minutes last night to play a team that we beat
17-2 in Lorain. Game was at 6:00. This morning we play at BW to play a team the lost to the team we beat last night. Now there's I believe 36 teams in this tournament and there's some very very good teams but unfortunately there's some very bad ones. Coaches if you have a rec. Or local team play a Rec. Schedule and play in local leagues. Your not making your team better getting run ruled every game. I feel bad beating teams that bad but on the other hand I will not ask our boys not to play hard or worse yet get out on purpose. We go hard till we get to the run ruled then we back off. I feel bad for some of these teams. And rec. Team parents don't scream at the true travel teams for winning big yell at your coach for putting them in this situation.
You could always head out to Grand Park Indy and get your azzes handed to you..... maybe put things in perspective and make you appreciate a few "confidence builders" and the opportunity that they afford you to empty your bench and get some PT for the whole roster. You could still maintain a good seeding position for Sunday play without burning arms in these little local tourneys. Count your blessings. You a frustrated former manager with nothing better to do than bag on kids trying to figure out their place or something ?
Old 06-10-18, 11:21 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootballCrazy1 View Post
I see your point, anyone who can print 12 jerseys thinks they are a travel team these days, but playing devils advocate here for a 2nd if your so loaded, so talented as you say then why don't you seek out only tournaments that offer a national competition type of atmosphere, don't play in local tournaments where u know you won't be challenged?? I know money and expenses are a major part of doing that but like most things you get what you pay for so to speak . And playing local only gets you so much competition

The "we're so good" crap gets a bit stale, doesn't it ? Why clap while grandpa pats himself on the back with his left hand ?
Old 06-10-18, 12:49 PM
All Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
You could always head out to Grand Park Indy and get your azzes handed to you..... maybe put things in perspective and make you appreciate a few "confidence builders" and the opportunity that they afford you to empty your bench and get some PT for the whole roster. You could still maintain a good seeding position for Sunday play without burning arms in these little local tourneys. Count your blessings. You a frustrated former manager with nothing better to do than bag on kids trying to figure out their place or something ?
We leave Wednesday for Indy, we also the last three years played in three Nationals, Myrtle Beach, Disney, and Nashville. Those three we finished 5th. 4th. And 3rd. Hoping for better this year. As far as playing in weaker tournaments we can't travel 10-12 times the cost is overwhelming. We go to 5 big tournaments a year. This year Columbus 3 times, Cincinnati 2 and Indy. We also won 2 state titles and a runner up over last three years. So we don't shy away from getting quote azzes kicked. I wasn't knocking the bad travel teams I feel bad for them. If your involved with travel I'd think you would understand.
Old 06-10-18, 01:00 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Wildcat View Post
We leave Wednesday for Indy, we also the last three years played in three Nationals, Myrtle Beach, Disney, and Nashville. Those three we finished 5th. 4th. And 3rd. Hoping for better this year. As far as playing in weaker tournaments we can't travel 10-12 times the cost is overwhelming. We go to 5 big tournaments a year. This year Columbus 3 times, Cincinnati 2 and Indy. We also won 2 state titles and a runner up over last three years. So we don't shy away from getting quote azzes kicked. I wasn't knocking the bad travel teams I feel bad for them. If your involved with travel I'd think you would understand.
It's frustrating sometimes, sure, but they are trying. I've overreached a few times myself, but more often with women......gotta try. When you have these opponents that are out of their depth, you just have to make the best of it.

Sometimes a lot of the blame falls on the tournament director for not warning the weak teams. If the guy expanded his brackets because he "wanted to include everyone", maybe he needs to talk a bit more when the unknowns sign up. Maybe 32 would have been a much better number than 36, but the guy didn't want to leave 4 entry fees on the table. If everybody stinks, it's on you. Play your team an age or two up if you want to stay in town that weekend.

I just don't like to see someone looking down their nose at kids just trying to have fun. Maybe I read you wrong. If so, I apologize.
Old 06-10-18, 02:08 PM
Go Buckeyes

Yappi will become famous soon enough
I think this is the problem with so many people leaving their rec leagues. The talent varies greatly and there is no real good system to allocate teams to certain levels. Everyone in one area usually knows the good teams from the bad but when someone travels an hour away, it becomes a little less clear.

The solution would be for more kids to stay in rec ball. Save the money and help build your local community baseball program. When kids show some potential, go and play some end of the season tournaments.
Old 06-10-18, 02:11 PM
All Region

Quote:
It's frustrating sometimes, sure, but they are trying. I've overreached a few times myself, but more often with women......gotta try. When you have these opponents that are out of their depth, you just have to make the best of it.

Sometimes a lot of the blame falls on the tournament director for not warning the weak teams. If the guy expanded his brackets because he "wanted to include everyone", maybe he needs to talk a bit more when the unknowns sign up. Maybe 32 would have been a much better number than 36, but the guy didn't want to leave 4 entry fees on the table. If everybody stinks, it's on you. Play your team an age or two up if you want to stay in town that weekend.

I just don't like to see someone looking down their nose at kids just trying to have fun. Maybe I read you wrong. If so, I apologize.
No problem, no apology needed, this summer is my 45th. Year of coaching baseball. From 8u to summer college teams. I've seen a lot, some good some bad, but every year I seem to see something I've never seen before that's baseball. Last year at the national championship at Vanderbilt were playing in the semi's against s great team with an outstanding pitcher. Now I consider this elite travel baseball for a while. We're loosing I believe 3 or 4 to 0 and can't get that big hit when needed. 5 innings there pitcher is at 85 pitches, starts to rain with lighting and there's a 2 1/2 hour delay, when we resume they stroll the same pitcher back out. I was shocked. 85 pitch count and idle 2 1/2 hours. If that was my son or grandson I would of said no no. So even at the elite level there's a few idiots making decisions. Well at least that's my opinion. We heard after the game that young man had committed to Louisville, I would thing Louisville staff would of been a little irritated.
Old 06-10-18, 02:15 PM
All Region

Quote:

No problem, no apology needed, this summer is my 45th. Year of coaching baseball. From 8u to summer college teams. I've seen a lot, some good some bad, but every year I seem to see something I've never seen before that's baseball. Last year at the national championship at Vanderbilt were playing in the semi's against s great team with an outstanding pitcher. Now I consider this elite travel baseball. We're loosing I believe 3 or 4 to 0 and can't get that big hit when needed. 5 innings there pitcher is at 85 pitches, starts to rain with lighting and there's a 2 1/2 hour delay, when we resume they stroll the same pitcher back out. I was shocked. 85 pitch count and idle 2 1/2 hours. If that was my son or grandson I would of said no no. So even at the elite level there's a few idiots making decisions. Well at least that's my opinion. We heard after the game that young man had committed to Louisville, I would thing Louisville staff would of been a little irritated.
Old 06-11-18, 07:51 AM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Agreed. . But did they call themselves elite. . . Then they have to be good! Say a team like that few welsh ago. Coaches were no help and the home plate umpire went out to the pitcher and have him a quick lesson on pick offs and balks and how to throw from the stretch. I know a local team. . They have at least 2 levels. Nice uniforms and all and call themselves elite but man are they bad. Bad. Bad. We all complain about dad coaches but we need them . Without them the sport would be dead but I have a saying I use about them. . . . There are dads who coach . . . And coaches who are dads. Be the Latter . .. .
Old 06-11-18, 04:49 PM
All Region

BASESWIMPARENT is on a distinguished road
Down in south west Ohio. we have a category system where if you are honest and u can place yourself. It is not perfect but it is helps place like teams against each other. Most importantly, it allows kids to play and be competitive.
Old 06-21-18, 11:53 AM
Junior Varsity

seetheball2 is on a distinguished road
sounds like the manchester A's to me

Quote:
Holds on now The Manchester A's are good and worth a chance
Old 06-21-18, 01:31 PM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by seetheball2 View Post
Holds on now The Manchester A's are good and worth a chance
I'm not sure Benny is 45, much less a 45 year coach, but if there is another guy there that is older than (infield) dirt, maybe you're on to something.

The teams I'm remembering are a bunch that is 16 now, and there was a group that would be 19 now that split up at 15.
Old 06-21-18, 01:32 PM
Go Buckeyes

Just curious, what local rec baseball programs are successful right now? It seems numbers are way down and these local leagues are folding. Kids that want to play baseball really don't have any where else to go. This was the inevitable outcome that started about 20 years ago when travel ball started it's tremendous growth.
Old 06-22-18, 11:25 AM
All Ohio

yakyak is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yappi View Post
Just curious, what local rec baseball programs are successful right now? It seems numbers are way down and these local leagues are folding. Kids that want to play baseball really don't have any where else to go. This was the inevitable outcome that started about 20 years ago when travel ball started it's tremendous growth.
What is your definition of a successful rec league?
Old 06-22-18, 01:12 PM
Go Buckeyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakyak View Post
What is your definition of a successful rec league?
That's a tough question. I would guess one metric is that the league is fielding as many teams in each age group that they fielded a decade ago.

I've followed Little League for a long time in my area and I can't think of one that is in great shape. It's a battle at most of them just to keep the league running.