Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 04-29-18, 08:04 PM
Freshman

CBC_001 is on a distinguished road
Bellefontaine vs Sidney on Thursday night lights

It was announced that this game will be broadcasted on Fox 45 Thursday night lights. Should be a cool experience for Bellefontaine as theyíve never had this type of game. Any thoughts on who could win this one? I know both teams replace a Ton of talent but Iím not for sure how good this Sidney team is gonna be. My guess is not very good they lose all of there offensive weapons unless they have 2 D1 guys in line. But what could really be a problem for them is there Defense. They were pretty bad last year but in most games they won they were saved by Devan Rogers destroying the line of scrimmage. Thoughts????
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-18, 11:47 AM
Junior Varsity

Chieftain1995 is on a distinguished road
My son was on cloud nine over this. Gonna be fun.
Old 04-30-18, 12:43 PM
All District

NewJacketCity is on a distinguished road
No doubt Sidney is gonna have some big shoes to fill. They're gonna have skilled players to make plays in Ratez Roberts, Lathan Jones, Caleb Jones, Keith Lee, Josiah Hudgins. I wouldn't be surprised if they moved Darren Taborn who played wide reciever to running back (I think he's a mid major D1 level athlete). They have a QB Ryan Dunhum who has a really nice arm who got some playing time last year as a Soph. when Andre was hurt, he's just really green. An offseason being prepped as the guy and the athletes they'll have around him will be a big help. As much as losing Andre, Bowser and Devan is going to hurt, I think their going to have some guys step up offensively.

The areas they need work is the beef on the OL and DL. I'm not sure what's coming up at those positions. I've heard that they added some top competition to the football schedule and already had TW on their conference schedule before Andre decided transfer to HP if that doesn't change it could be a really rough season. Otherwise I could see a 5-6 win season

Last edited by NewJacketCity; 04-30-18 at 12:59 PM.
Old 04-30-18, 08:39 PM
Freshman

I know this may seem like a unreasonable statement but is it me or did Sidney get under coached last year? Yes I get that they just came off a great year but with that talent there is no way they shouldíve lost a regular season game and been in dog fights. I just feel they werenít disciplined at all and solely relied on talent. Thatís why when they faced lassale they were exsposed for lack of discipline and couldnít rely on talent to win them the game.
Old 04-30-18, 09:31 PM
Junior Varsity

Chieftain1995 is on a distinguished road
It's perfectly reasonable. Sidney had 3 D1 players and were in dog fights with teams with no D1 players (Bellefontaine, Tipp). Sidney's defense was embarrassingly bad at times (Tipp City).
Old 05-01-18, 08:41 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chieftain1995 View Post
It's perfectly reasonable. Sidney had 3 D1 players and were in dog fights with teams with no D1 players (Bellefontaine, Tipp). Sidney's defense was embarrassingly bad at times (Tipp City).
This is absolutely fair. Sidney's defensive coordinator has needed to go for awhile now. They've given up 30-40 consistently to average offenses for probably at least the last 4-5 years. It started as a lack of talent. That excuse has gone by the wayside and the problems of tackling and discipline remain. Unfortunately the DC seems to be a ride or die of coach Doenges.

I will say there are many out there who felt Doenges has not maximised the talent he's had the last 2-3 years.
Old 05-03-18, 10:24 AM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBC_001 View Post
I know this may seem like a unreasonable statement but is it me or did Sidney get under coached last year? Yes I get that they just came off a great year but with that talent there is no way they shouldíve lost a regular season game and been in dog fights. I just feel they werenít disciplined at all and solely relied on talent. Thatís why when they faced lassale they were exsposed for lack of discipline and couldnít rely on talent to win them the game.
This is why a guy like wince Morris should of been promoted to run the program instead he was let go because someone was threatened by him being there
Old 05-03-18, 11:13 AM
All Ohio

BrutusBuckeye90 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
This is why a guy like wince Morris should of been promoted to run the program instead he was let go because someone was threatened by him being there
#truth
Old 05-03-18, 11:26 AM
All District

LM Panthers is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I get where you coming from with the coaching but no way in hell they beat LaSalle or WW last year. I don't care who was coaching they still would've got beat in the second round.
Old 05-03-18, 12:05 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM Panthers View Post
I get where you coming from with the coaching but no way in hell they beat LaSalle or WW last year. I don't care who was coaching they still would've got beat in the second round.
Agreed. I went to that game. The talent difference on that field was SUBSTANTIAL.
Old 05-04-18, 10:03 AM
All District

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat View Post
Knowing what I know, I don't even know if Wince would have even accepted that promotion. He didn't come to Sidney looking to become a HS head coach right away.

I think Doenges has done some good things in building Sidney's football program from what he inherited. That being said I think he's probably maximized his abilities and taken this program as far as he can take it. I think they could do better, but I also think they could do worse. So the question becomes do you trust this administration to be able to make that hire?
Old 05-04-18, 10:10 AM
All District

Doenges is a guy who's invested in the kids, the community, and building the program from the bottom up, but he's not a great x's and o's coach and my guess is he's probably a 4-7 win a year coach with the talent that's gonna come through Sidney year in and out. If they're going to move on from Doenges they have to get someone who's going to buy into the community and invest himself in the kids and continue to build from the bottom up. The X's and O's part and the teaching of the game would then be what they need to go to the next level. I have someone I think would be perfect, but I highly doubt he'd come here.
Old 05-04-18, 10:13 AM
Freshman

Who?
Old 05-04-18, 10:25 AM
All District

Quote:
Who?
Minster head coach Geron Stokes. Like I said I don't see any way Sidney could get him.
Old 05-04-18, 11:04 AM
All Ohio

Maybe Fell would come back. :-)
Old 05-04-18, 11:07 AM
All World

queencitybuckeye is on a distinguished road
Quite the world we live in when someone produces the best result a team has had in a couple of decades, but that isn't good enough.
Old 05-04-18, 11:17 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by queencitybuckeye View Post
Quite the world we live in when someone produces the best result a team has had in a couple of decades, but that isn't good enough.
Those 3 someones aren't playing for the Jackets next year.
Old 05-04-18, 11:47 AM
All District

Quote:
I agree there are worse coaches out there, but lets not act like Coach Doenges has won all benefit of the doubt. In 7 years as Doenges has only won more than 4 games twice. His head coaching record at Sidney is 30-42.

The defense has ranged from not good to awful for the better part of Doenges time in Sidney and he continues to support the same defensive coordinator. The reason they won 10 games last year was because you had a big 10 running back and a guy at QB who could play Big 10 ball as an athlete that was able to help them simply outscore teams.

Last edited by NewJacketCity; 05-04-18 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-04-18, 12:05 PM
Freshman

I think next year will be an Important year for doenges. He has some talent in the DB area but in high school that really doesn’t have an effect because most teams run the ball 75% of the time. They don’t have enough offensive firepower to just put 40 on the board and pray on defense that they get stops. With their schedule I predict them to go 3-7 maybe 2-8
Old 05-04-18, 12:18 PM
All District

Quote:
I think next year will be an Important year for doenges. He has some talent in the DB area but in high school that really doesnít have an effect because most teams run the ball 75% of the time. They donít have enough offensive firepower to just put 40 on the board and pray on defense that they get stops. With their schedule I predict them to go 3-7 maybe 2-8
I agree that this is probably a make or break season for Doenges. I think
your record prediction is probably pretty accurate. Sidney has been soft up the middle for awhile now and their tackling is as bad as I've ever seen on a yearly basis. They take bad pursuit angles and are generally undisciplined. I think they'll have enough offensively at the skilled positions to put some points on the board, but in general I don't think they can outscore what their defense is going to give up.
Old 05-04-18, 12:35 PM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJacketCity View Post
I agree there are worse coaches out there, but lets not act like Coach Doenges has won all benefit of the doubt. In 7 years as Doenges has only won more than 4 games twice. His head coaching record at Sidney is 30-42.
How does that compare to other coaches in the school's history?
Old 05-04-18, 12:50 PM
All District

Quote:
How does that compare to other coaches in the school's history?
Pretty similar from what I can tell. (I'm not a Sidney lifer). Should that change the bar for current and future success?
Old 05-04-18, 12:54 PM
All World

Quote:
Pretty similar from what I can tell. (I'm not a Sidney lifer). Should that change the bar for current and future success?
Well, after a large sample size, it either speaks to the long term level of football talent in the community or their ability to find and get high level coaches. The notion that people from every school district hold that if we do "X", we can be a power program is simply flawed.
Old 05-04-18, 01:07 PM
All District

Quote:
Well, after a large sample size, it either speaks to the long term level of football talent in the community or their ability to find and get high level coaches. The notion that people from every school district hold that if we do "X", we can be a power program is simply flawed.

Who said anything about being a power? I'm not delusional enough to think Sidney is going to perennially be a 8-10 win team, but how about a consistent .500 winning percentage?
Old 05-04-18, 01:39 PM
All World

serpico is on a distinguished road
Quote:
So the question becomes do you trust this administration to be able to make that hire?
Well let's see... the board micromanaged a smart and effective superintendent right out the door. Hell, just let them coach the team
Old 05-04-18, 01:43 PM
All World

Quote:
Who said anything about being a power? I'm not delusional enough to think Sidney is going to perennially be a 8-10 win team, but how about a consistent .500 winning percentage?
Then you need to find and correct, if possible, the root problem. Based on a long track record of being a below-.500 program, either there is below average talent, a consistent record of mediocre hires, or both. Which is it and how does it get fixed?
Old 05-08-18, 09:38 PM
All Ohio

lat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by serpico View Post
Well let's see... the board micromanaged a smart and effective superintendent right out the door. Hell, just let them coach the team
Smart and effective haha thatís funny more like power junkie or somewhatof a bully. If you didnít do things his way he found a way to get you out of the system
Old 06-11-18, 11:06 AM
Freshman

Chisel is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down

Sidney will be awful this year record wise. They may be in some games but this year will be ugly. 3-7 seems about right