Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Boys Track & Field/Cross Country

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 06-05-18, 05:38 AM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
Disturbing trend IMO

Saw a team not win a team state title or at worst get second because they would not double athletes or put best relays out on the track. Was told they are more interested in breaking records than winning as a team. Also sacrificed relays so that runners were not in more than one race in a day. So, only ran a 1600 or only ran an 800. Didn't come back in 3200 or even 4x400. Not even at the District level. So is it all about individual success over team success? Is one 10 point victory better than one 10 point victory and a 6 point 3rd place from the same kid? If the 1600 is your event, running the 3200 after it is not going to affect that 1600? How is running a 400 with teammates going to negatively affect your 1600 or 800 or any other race before it? I can see not coming off a 3200.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-18, 07:16 AM
All World

said_aouita is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_dad View Post
So is it all about individual success over team success? .
Seems like you already know the answer.
Old 06-05-18, 07:54 AM
All American

cvctrackfan is on a distinguished road
That has always been their way of doing things. They are well coached and there is not a lot of ego in the way they do things. Do they make mistakes sometimes Yes, they do they are human. But, whatever Clay or Howard does if it came in a bottle I would buy it.
Old 06-05-18, 08:22 AM
All American

yj_runfan is on a distinguished road
When my sons ran, our coaches did everything possible to maximize points at the conference meet. After that, it was all about the individuals. I found nothing at all disturbing about that philosophy. I would not call it a trend.
Old 06-05-18, 08:31 AM
Varsity

jktrack is on a distinguished road
I guess it all depends on your philosophy as a coach and as an athletic department. Honestly, I agree with you. A couple of years ago, I ran one of our guys in the 1600 and the 4x400 instead of running him in the 3200 (where he had been a state champ as a soph) because we had the chance of scoring 20 points instead of 10. We only scored 12 but it was still better than 10.
Old 06-05-18, 08:33 AM
All World

Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Wow, sounds like you did that junior at the time a huge disservice.
Old 06-05-18, 08:45 AM
Varsity

jktrack is on a distinguished road
He actually was a senior. Finished 2nd in the 3200 as a junior but really wanted to win another state team title like we did when he was a sophomore. He was good with it.

Last edited by jktrack; 06-05-18 at 08:48 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-18, 09:09 AM
Ron Jeremey Stunt Double

skins99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to skins99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktrack View Post
He actually was a senior. Finished 2nd in the 3200 as a junior but really wanted to win another state team title like we did when he was a sophomore. He was good with it.
If the kid was good with it and was fighting for a team state title it makes sense. If not my old coach did the same thing as YJ. Conference is about team after that was about individual achievement.
Old 06-05-18, 10:53 AM
All American

Running Man 101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins99 View Post
If the kid was good with it and was fighting for a team state title it makes sense. If not my old coach did the same thing as YJ. Conference is about team after that was about individual achievement.
We push the team approach as far as possible and then place the kids into whatever events they can be the most successful at going forward. If we go to a meet that we have no chance of winning, I put the kids into a relay or individual events where they can best succeed.

I don't generally let my kids do only one event either, try to target three if it works out.
Old 06-05-18, 04:53 PM
All World

psycho_dad is on a distinguished road
How does doubling someone in a later event prevent them from winning or doing their best in an early event. Running the 3200 or 4x400 does not hurt your 1600. Running a 4x400 leg is not going to hurt your 800. If your team does not have a chance at something, I can see scrapping an event or maximizing an individuals chances. But if your team has a chance at a District, Regional or State title, you go for it. A State title could have been won and, individual titles would also have been won.
Old 06-05-18, 08:55 PM
All Ohio

madman is on a distinguished road
Without knowing the details, I would bet there is more going on than just what you "heard."

At the end of the season, there are always athletes fighting through aches and pains to get it done. Some coaches are more willing than others to put one kid's hamstring at risk to go for a team title.

There are lots of gray areas out there despite the fact that people want to see things in black and white
Old 06-06-18, 07:23 AM
All Ohio

nptb
At the end of the day, it's the kid that has to run. It sounds like that was putting a lot of pressure on the kid or kids. State championships aren't easy for individuals, especially in the state of Ohio. I would let the kid do what he wants.