Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > College Football

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #181  
Old 07-08-18, 11:30 AM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,603
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
What got Tressel in the end? His greatest strength became his weakness and that was loyalty. He cared about the kids he recruited and coached and in protecting them when he should have hammered them it cost him his job.
Agree 100 %
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #182  
Old 07-11-18, 10:16 AM
DB 04 DB 04 is offline
All Region
 
Join Date: 10-09-15
Posts: 777
DB 04 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
Both great coaches of differing styles.

A couple things I'd like to point out.

1). When Tressel came to OSU the talent was there but not like it was when Urban arrived. OSU was also owned by Michigan at that time and he went to Ann Arbor and beat the Wolverines.

2). Urban picked OSU at the perfect time. Still lots of talent/top national facilities. The guy is a great coach, and he has certainly earned the right to pick and choose but he did not take over a program that was that far off it's rocker.

3). Tressel owned UM and he got OSU to the title game three times. The first they beat a team with more talent. The second they lost to a team that peaked at the right time AFTER beating UM in the classic #1 vs. #2 game. Tough to go UP after a game like that and of course there was the Heisman curse. Had that OSU team played Florida earlier it would have been a game that the Buckeyes could have won. That was a great team with loads of talent but much like 2014 it was all about timing. In the third National Title game against LSU the Buckeyes were probably not the team that should have been playing the Tigers but as a coach what do you do? Turn it down? Tell the media you do not believe you should be there?

I am not a Buckeye fan and always thought Tressel was a tad too conservative at times (like most). But there is no denying how good of a coach he is/was.

What got Tressel in the end? His greatest strength became his weakness and that was loyalty. He cared about the kids he recruited and coached and in protecting them when he should have hammered them it cost him his job.
You canít lie when you are busted..itís makes things worse!
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old 07-24-18, 08:24 AM
Auggie's Avatar
Auggie Auggie is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-02-02
Location: The Other Side
Posts: 13,268
Auggie is on a distinguished road
On the eve of camp tOSU fires WR Coach Zach Smith due to domestic violence issues. Not a very good look for Meyer as Smith has been with him for quite a while and is the last guy left from the initial Meyer tOSU staff in 2012. Looks like Brian Hartline will assume the position at this time.
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old 07-24-18, 08:37 AM
cabezadecaballo cabezadecaballo is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 10-06-12
Location: over here
Posts: 32,492
cabezadecaballo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
On the eve of camp tOSU fires WR Coach Zach Smith due to domestic violence issues. Not a very good look for Meyer as Smith has been with him for quite a while and is the last guy left from the initial Meyer tOSU staff in 2012. Looks like Brian Hartline will assume the position at this time.
This is rapidly turning into a real sh1t show during the slowest sports season. The talk radio clowns and web click whores are rolling in steaming fetid piles of reckless speculation!! What a pathetic bunch of hacks
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old 07-24-18, 04:54 PM
FormerWildcat's Avatar
FormerWildcat FormerWildcat is offline
Yappi Supporter
 
Join Date: 07-22-01
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 19,172
FormerWildcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_buffalo View Post
2). Urban picked OSU at the perfect time. Still lots of talent/top national facilities. The guy is a great coach, and he has certainly earned the right to pick and choose but he did not take over a program that was that far off it's rocker.
I agree that Ohio State still had some talent and great facilities when Urban arrived, but that's almost always true in Columbus. However, the Buckeyes went 6-7 under Luke Fickell the year before Urban got there, and they were facing NCAA sanctions that ended up including a bowl ban his first year.

So, the situation wasn't all rosy when Urban arrived. It certainly wasn't some well-oiled, humming machine.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old 07-24-18, 07:50 PM
lotr10 lotr10 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 08-26-03
Location: fairfield, ohio
Posts: 24,323
lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabezadecaballo View Post
This is rapidly turning into a real sh1t show during the slowest sports season. The talk radio clowns and web click whores are rolling in steaming fetid piles of reckless speculation!! What a pathetic bunch of hacks
Excellent prose cabe!
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old 07-25-18, 07:35 AM
14Red 14Red is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-12-12
Posts: 3,654
14Red is an unknown quantity at this point
It's a sign of our times, OSU football coach fired for domestic violence in what seems to be a long time cover up, the wrestling fiasco and now a swim / diving coach with groping and sex allegations.
And this isn't an OSU thing, it happens so much at our college campuses across the country. Local media, especially the big time programs are often shielded from the truth or even worse, look the other way so they don't lose their valuable leads. It's just really sad that the quest to be part of a college sports program blinds so many people from doing what's right.
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old 07-25-18, 07:07 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,456
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie View Post
On the eve of camp tOSU fires WR Coach Zach Smith due to domestic violence issues. Not a very good look for Meyer as Smith has been with him for quite a while and is the last guy left from the initial Meyer tOSU staff in 2012. Looks like Brian Hartline will assume the position at this time.
Itís never a good look, but sounds like nobody knew about his 2015 incident until recently. Iím also not a fan of the current culture where we throw people under the bus for stuff that someone else did. At the end of the day, Zach Smith is responsible for whatever he did, and Urban has fired him. Off our plate now IMO
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old 07-26-18, 02:31 AM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 3,571
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
I don't get why the head coaches always get thrown under the bus after something like this comes out. Meyer paid him to do a certain job, he's not his babysitter. As soon as he was found out, he was fired. I could have co-workers that abuse their wives and would have no idea because I don't walk up to them every day and asked if they hit their wife this morning.
Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old 07-26-18, 07:41 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 4,984
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Lets hope they end up with a better coach for the receivers,it's a good group.
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old 07-26-18, 09:45 AM
Stirred not Shaken Stirred not Shaken is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-05-14
Posts: 2,603
Stirred not Shaken is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
It's a sign of our times, OSU football coach fired for domestic violence in what seems to be a long time cover up, the wrestling fiasco and now a swim / diving coach with groping and sex allegations.
And this isn't an OSU thing, it happens so much at our college campuses across the country. Local media, especially the big time programs are often shielded from the truth or even worse, look the other way so they don't lose their valuable leads. It's just really sad that the quest to be part of a college sports program blinds so many people from doing what's right.
What cover up ? Here is what Meyer and OSU knew about Smith : https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...015-allegation
Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old 07-26-18, 12:51 PM
cjb56 cjb56 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 06-15-04
Location: Avon, OH
Posts: 13,767
cjb56 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stirred not Shaken View Post
What cover up ? Here is what Meyer and OSU knew about Smith : https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-...015-allegation
And we don't know anything about the relationship between Z. Smith and his wife. She might be one of those bitter, crazy women that hate men and blame all their troubles on them? Maybe she isn't and he's a turd? Maybe they both are scum? Who knows? Anyway, he was a decent recruiter, but a mediocre WR coach at best. No great loss. Hartline will have more cred with the recruits anyway, being that he accomplished something in the NFL.
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old 07-27-18, 06:54 AM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 4,984
Raymo is on a distinguished road
Wish Hartline the best,a fine young man that will work well with the receivers.
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old 07-28-18, 02:33 PM
EagleGuy EagleGuy is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 06-26-16
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 2,405
EagleGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post
I don't get why the head coaches always get thrown under the bus after something like this comes out. Meyer paid him to do a certain job, he's not his babysitter. As soon as he was found out, he was fired. I could have co-workers that abuse their wives and would have no idea because I don't walk up to them every day and asked if they hit their wife this morning.
I dunno. I often ask co-workers if they have stopped beating their wives.

Now, as to whether they be truthin' or not.....
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old 08-01-18, 04:25 PM
joesports joesports is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 06-03-07
Posts: 2,777
joesports is on a distinguished road
I am tired of sports teams being required to be the moral voice of America ... this kind of stuff should not be up to them ... our legal system needs to be held more accountable in these situation ... these things need to be reported to the police and the police/courts to investigate and determine guilt or not ... if guilty, the perpetrator needs to go to jail ... where is the outrage against our legal system that seemingly does virtually nothing in these cases?
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old 08-01-18, 04:34 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 4,870
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
If Urban knew, he is required by law to report it. If he broke the law, he should be fired. And if he didn’t know, his wife broke the law by not telling him since she is also employed by the university. What are some of you not understanding?
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old 08-01-18, 04:35 PM
BlueJayFan BlueJayFan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 11-23-14
Posts: 4,870
BlueJayFan is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb56 View Post
And we don't know anything about the relationship between Z. Smith and his wife. She might be one of those bitter, crazy women that hate men and blame all their troubles on them? Maybe she isn't and he's a turd? Maybe they both are scum? Who knows? Anyway, he was a decent recruiter, but a mediocre WR coach at best. No great loss. Hartline will have more cred with the recruits anyway, being that he accomplished something in the NFL.
This post did not age well
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old 08-01-18, 05:39 PM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,456
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Ohio State with a classic overreaction before getting all facts and coming to a thoughtful decision. Have to appease the angry mob these days
Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old 08-01-18, 05:53 PM
Raymo Raymo is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 12-30-09
Location: PRO FOOTBALL HOF CITY
Posts: 4,984
Raymo is on a distinguished road
I think the AD needs to explain where he has been hiding...BAM!
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old 08-01-18, 10:24 PM
Gh0st Gh0st is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 08-18-11
Posts: 3,571
Gh0st is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
If Urban knew, he is required by law to report it. If he broke the law, he should be fired. And if he didn’t know, his wife broke the law by not telling him since she is also employed by the university. What are some of you not understanding?
I think we understand just fine. Just not sold on all the facts of the case. Seeing as this story has changed just about every hour, seems a little early to implicate anyone of breaking anything.

I've not seen anyone saying if he knew about it and did nothing then he deserves to keep his job.

He's required by his contract to report any misconduct like this, not the law. Only mandated reporters are required by law to report these types of things.

Last edited by Gh0st; 08-01-18 at 10:39 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #201  
Old 08-01-18, 10:35 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,448
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Just a reminder, 5 months ago everyone was 100% certain that Sean Miller had to be fired ASAP to preserve whatever integrity the school had left. If Arizona had done that, it would have been a complete disaster. A thorough investigation needs to be done, even if it means dragging into the season.
Reply With Quote
  #202  
Old 08-02-18, 06:56 AM
Taco MacArthur Taco MacArthur is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 03-14-17
Posts: 4,038
Taco MacArthur has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueJayFan View Post
If Urban knew, he is required by law to report it. If he broke the law, he should be fired. And if he didnít know, his wife broke the law by not telling him since she is also employed by the university. What are some of you not understanding?
Law or rule?
Reply With Quote
  #203  
Old 08-02-18, 07:44 AM
jackson03 jackson03 is offline
All American
 
Join Date: 09-03-13
Posts: 1,842
jackson03 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
Law or rule?
Rule. Just like in politics, BJF has no idea what he's talking about.

Meyer has a Title IX clause in his newest contract. If he is in violation of it, it gives OSU the option to fire Meyer with cause, meaning they do not have to pay him the remainder of his contract. OSU does not have to fire Meyer because that clause is in there. However, one risk in not firing him would be the potential involvement of the Department of Education slapping the University with a Title IX violation, which can mean fines or loss of federal funding. But there is also a risk that if OSU fires Meyer with cause, Meyer could sue the University to be reinstated or seek damages, should it be found that his dismissal on Title IX grounds is outside the scope of the law.

OSU can also fire Meyer without cause. Legally, they will have then fired him just because, for no reason at all. But they then must pay Meyer the remainder of his contract. He would have no legal recourse to be reinstated or seek damages. This is probably what is going to happen.

To be clear, no one: Urban Meyer, Shelley Meyer, Zach Smith, or anyone else employed at the University or associated with the University is being criminally charged with anything.
Reply With Quote
  #204  
Old 08-02-18, 10:21 AM
Michael Bluth Michael Bluth is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 05-29-11
Location: The Mailroom
Posts: 16,456
Michael Bluth is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
Just a reminder, 5 months ago everyone was 100% certain that Sean Miller had to be fired ASAP to preserve whatever integrity the school had left. If Arizona had done that, it would have been a complete disaster. A thorough investigation needs to be done, even if it means dragging into the season.
Agreed. Nothing wrong with taking their time on this and getting it right
Reply With Quote
  #205  
Old 08-02-18, 10:53 AM
Yappi Yappi is offline
Go Buckeyes
 
Join Date: 04-15-01
Location: Ohio
Posts: 50,029
Yappi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Bluth View Post
Ohio State with a classic overreaction before getting all facts and coming to a thoughtful decision. Have to appease the angry mob these days
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
  #206  
Old 08-02-18, 11:42 AM
ronnie mund ronnie mund is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 11-11-13
Posts: 7,006
ronnie mund can only hope to improve
How is it an overreaction? They placed him on paid administrative leave while everything gets sorted out. It was the right move. The last thing OSU needs is to mishandle this whole thing.
Reply With Quote
  #207  
Old 08-02-18, 12:20 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,448
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I don't get the statement that they've already overreacted. They seem to be handling things in a measured, professional manner actually.

I also don't know why Bluth is so upset here. He's the guy who claimed Urban was no longer a great coach last season.
Reply With Quote
  #208  
Old 08-02-18, 12:20 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,668
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
I don't think a head coach should be responsible for the actions of his coaches; of course I didn't think Paterno should have been either.[Not a fan of either school] The severity of the offences is different, but the principle remains the same, those who advocated Paterno being fired have no leg to stand on in this case if they don't demand that Meyer should be fired.
Reply With Quote
  #209  
Old 08-02-18, 12:22 PM
Neopolitan Neopolitan is offline
All World
 
Join Date: 10-12-16
Posts: 4,448
Neopolitan is an unknown quantity at this point
idk about that. I think there's a pretty massive gulf between continuing to let a serial child molester host kids in your facilities, and continuing to let a guy who beat up his wife coach your wide receivers.
Reply With Quote
  #210  
Old 08-02-18, 12:29 PM
Termite2 Termite2 is offline
All Yappi
 
Join Date: 07-11-03
Location: North Sycamore Twp
Posts: 14,668
Termite2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neopolitan View Post
idk about that. I think there's a pretty massive gulf between continuing to let a serial child molester host kids in your facilities, and continuing to let a guy who beat up his wife coach your wide receivers.
If in fact that Paterno actually knew what was going on, instead of the supposition that he knew.
I am in no way saying that the offences are the same or even in the same ballpark, but the principle remains the same.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ohio All-Star Wrestling Team 2018-2020 Ohio TofC Wrestling 11 10-15-17 10:51 PM
Waite D-3 District Rankings (Off-Season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 15 07-22-17 10:47 AM
Junior National Duals- Team Ohio MikeMattin Wrestling 25 06-25-17 09:35 AM
OHSAA 2017 Baseball State Tournament Preview Yappi Baseball 1 05-30-17 11:25 PM
Coshocton D-3 District Rankings (off season #1) McClearn7 Wrestling 3 05-30-17 07:19 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Registration Booster - Powered By Dirt RIF CustUmz