Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > Boys HS Sports > Wrestling

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-19-15, 01:34 PM
All Ohio

McClearn7 is on a distinguished road
Sneaky good wrestlers in 2015-2016

I wanted to make a list of wrestlers who could make some serious noise in the upcoming season despite the fact that they were not in their team’s starting line-up for the post-season process last year.
Some were hurt, others ineligible, and still others could not crack their team’s deep starting squad. Regardless of the reason, I wanted to spotlight a few excellent wrestlers who could make a major splash in 2016.

Dylan Waugh (Mason)- Dylan was Mason’s starter at 106 last season until Zack Donathan dropped down to the weight. He posted a respectable freshman campaign, including a tournament title at his home James Horning Memorial Tournament where he majored state alternate Colin Neuner (Beavercreek) 11-2 in the finals. In an interesting twist of fate, Neuner would be the wrestler who repalcecd Waugh’s teammate Donathan when he was unable to wrestle at the state tournament.
Waugh also defeated district placers Devin Johnson (Pickerington C.) and Joe Pascale (Troy) during the year, also posting a 4th place finish at Olentangy Liberty and runner-up finishes at both Groveport-Madison and the GMV Conference Tournaments.
He’ll be an integral part of a reloaded Mason squad that is looking to challenge for a second straight district title. It’ll be a challenge for Mason to fit all of their talented lower weights into the line-up with Waugh, state title contender Donathan, state placer Colin Schuster, plus you add in middle school state placers Sam Glassco and Chris Donathan.

Bubba Arslanian (Aurora)- Bubba finished a match away from Columbus in 2014, but he was unable to compete last season, hopefully he’ll be back wrestling for the Greenmen this season as he challenges for a state slot out of the Mentor District Tournament. Amongst his wins in 2014 was a 4-3 sectional semifinal victory over 2015 state placer Anthony Mancini (Boardman).

Brandon Randolph
(Wadsworth)- Randolph had the misfortune of residing at the same weight as 2014 state champ Noah Baughman last season. He couldn’t move up to 120, with state placer Connor Gray residing at that weight, and the cut down to 106 proved to be too great a task for a growing boy.
With Gray and Wadsworth’s 126-pounder Corey Riggenbach graduating, 2014 state alternate Randolph will find a spot in the line-up during the 2016 campaign.
Last season, Randolph posted a 15-4 win over Zach Furnas (O. Liberty) and a 17-6 victory over Max Neiling (Bellbrook) at the Lexington Duals. Both wrestlers would later qualify for their respective state tournaments. Randolph also won the Suburban League title with a 64 second pin of a solid Cameron Duvall (Nordonia) in the finals. Perhaps Randolph’s most impressive win was at his home tournament where he beat state placer Nick Henneman (Clay) 12-9 while finishing 6th.

Bruce Hrynciw
(Oak Harbor)- Hrynciw looked like a potential state finalist last season after winning a title over a deep field at the MIT. Unfortunately, he was unable to wrestle in the post-season process, just a year after finishing a match shy of Columbus.
Hrynciw’s run to the title at Medina saw him pin district placer Ryan Wissel (Highland), major Madison Comprehensive’ Carson Speelman (another tough wrestler to keep an eye on) by an 11-1 score, defeat state placer Coleton Chase (Lancaster) 9-4 and best Ironman placer Zac McCauley (Mass. Perry) 4-2.
This season, it appears that he and the rest of the Oak Harbor team may make the drop into D-3. It’ll be no picnic in the lower division climate with state champ Drew Mattin (Delta), state champ Tommy Hoskins, (Dayton C.) and state finalist Hunter Lucas (Lima C.C.) headlining a deep contingent of returning wrestlers around this weight. However, Hrynciw has already demonstrated what a formidable foe he can be, and I wouldn’t be surprised to see him make a state finals run if he continues to improve.

Kaden Russell (St. Ignatius)- Russell was one of a host of talented St. Ignatius wrestlers who were unfortunately unable to wrestle at the end of last season. Hopefully, he’ll be back this season at full strength.
After an 0-2 Ironman and a 2-2 Brecksville, Russell really seemed to be rounding into shape at the CIT. The former middle school state placer would win the title in astounding fashion, pinning all 4 opponents including D-3 state finalist Jack Huffman (Lima C.C.) in the semis and 2x state qualifier Lucas Beauch (Toledo C.C.) in the finals.
If he can harness that explosiveness for a full season, we could see Russell on the big stage on a Saturday in Columbus.

Niko Moray (Steubenville)- Moray opened last season with a 4th place finish at North Canton, where he beat state placer Aidan Pasiuk (Carrollton) 5-2 in the consolation semifinals. His only losses would be to 3x state placer Andy Dobben (CVCA) and West Virginia state bronze medalist Tyler Windland.
Moray claimed another 4th place finish in January at the robust OVAC Tournament, where he fell 9-2 to West Virginia state champ Ryan Lopez (University) in the semis before defaulting in his 3rd place rematch with Windland. He was unable to compete in the post season tournaments, but should be an integral part of a Steubenville team in search of a district title in 2016.

Joey Marysiak (Olmsted Falls)- The former St. Edward wrestler made a name for himself at the Dies last season, finishing 3rd after rattling off a pin over state placer Logan Kissell (Garfield), a 4-3 win over state placer Noah Schaub (Green) and a default victory over a third state placer, Seth Hayes (Rootstown) in consecutive matches. He was not a participant in the post season process, but he’ll have another shot at it during his senior campaign.

Mario Kastl (Graham)- Kastl has been the utility man for Graham the last few seasons. A great wrestler in his own right, Mario is occasionally overlooked amongst the crazy depth of the Graham squad. Despite wrestling up at 126 as a freshman, Kastl finished as the state alternate. In 2014, Mario placed 3rd at the state tournament after making the cut down to 120.
Last season, Kastl made the most out of his opportunities to start, but he couldn’t crack the talent dense starting line-up.
Mario’s posted an early season win over state placer Collin Adkins (Bellevue) while wrestling 138 at the Bowling Green Duals. Later in the year, Kastl finished 2nd at the always tough GMVWA Tournament where he bested state qualifier Malachi Marlow (W. Brown) 7-2 in the semis while wrestling up at 145.
I’m hopeful that Mario will find a spot for himself in the ridiculous Graham line-up. If he can, we’ll likely see him earn a second state medal at season’s end.

Mason Daugherty (St. Edward)- Daugherty, like Kastl, was a starter in 2014 before being bumped from a loaded starting line-up in 2015. Daugherty had Pitt recruit L.J. Bentley ahead of him at 126 and state finalist Hunter Ladnier up a weight at 132.
With Bentley graduating, Daugherty will find himself a spot in the line-up as he seeks his first state medal in 2016. Among Daugherty’s wins last year was a 15-2 trouncing of a high quality Tra Jones (Sandusky) and a 5-4 win over middle school state finalist J.D. Stickley (Graham).

Connor Ryan (Covington)- Ryan looked impressive last season at GMVWA and Lima C.C., finishing as the silver medalist at both events.
At the former tournament, Ryan beat district placer Devin Johnson, Ben Sherrill (Bellbrook), and state qualifier Alec Schopfer (W. Branch) in consecutive matches to reach the finals.
Ryan teched a tough Nate Vasquez (Lima C.C.) 18-3 to reach the championship of the latter event, but unfortunately, he would not be available for the post season process.

Ana Abduljelil (Whitehall-Yearling)- Abduljelil is an excellent wrestler who is worth the price of admission. Hopefully the injuries that have plagued him the last few seasons will not follow him into his senior campaign.
In his limited action last year, Ana finished 5th at the MIT where he pinned district placers Jack Dawson (Beaver Local) and Dietrich Boysel (Hudson) and also majored state qualifier Maxx Peters (Claymont) 10-2. His only setbacks were a 3-0 decision at the hands of 2x state placer Devione Edwards (Lorain) and a 12-10 shootout with state finalist Jaden Mattox (Central Crossing).

Noah Mattin (Archbold)-After a state qualifying freshman season at Delta, Mattin would see limited action at 132 last year, where he claimed a 5th place finish at Perrysburg, beating state placer Buddy Limes (Otsego) 2-1 in their finals match.
Mattin did not wrestle in the post-season last year, and this season he’ll dawn a new uniform in 2016 after reportedly transferring to Archbold. Regardless of school affiliation, Mattin should be a force at state in the season to come.

Drew Hobbs (Moeller)- After finishing a mere match away from Columbus as a freshman, Hobbs was bitten by the injury bug last season, and was kept out all year. Now that he’s back wrestling for the Crusaders, Hobbs will look to improve upon a season that saw him defeat state qualifiers D.J. Campos (Edgewood), Ben Heyob (St. Xavier), and Matt Sicurella (Glen Este).

Question Marks: I’m less certain that these wrestlers will be participating for their respective squads in the upcoming season, but they could play a major roll for their teams if they opt to grapple this coming year.

Alex Jones (Wadsworth)- Alex Jones looked tough as a freshman in 2014, but he couldn’t crack the dense post season line-up for the talent rich Grizzlies. Last year he was injured and could not participate during the season. Hopefully, he’ll be back on the team this year, adding even more quality to an already powerful squad. Jones won a Suburban League title as a freshman while wrestling at 160, pinned 2015 state alternate Michael Carpenter (St. Edward) in a dual, and finished 4th at a quality North Canton Holiday Tournament.

Chase Sayers (Ross)- Sayers was a district placer as a sophomore in 2014, finishing 6th up at 182. However, he did not participate in the post season tournaments last year.
He started last year off at 170, where he placed 3rd at Franklin, falling only to Stone Day (Valley View).
Sayers dropped to 160 for the SWOWCA Tournament where he won his first three matches before dropping a semifinal bout to 2x state placer Austin Siemon (Deer Park) and falling out of the tournament. He beat a game Jacob Bria (Fairfield) 11-9 in the quarters a match after defeating state placer Brett Bryant (Moeller) 13-8.

Justin McNeely (Brunswick)- McNeely split starting time with D.J. Skiba back in 2014, but it would be Skiba who claimed the first-team spot for the tournament process. McNeely was not a part of the team last year, so we may have to wait and see if he wrestles in 2016.
There will be no guarantee that he cracks the line-up with Skiba back, state alternate Matt Fields seeking a spot, and middle school state finalist Logan Heil set to make his debut.
McNeely beat state qualifier Brady Toth (Perry) to make the finals at the North Coast Classic two years ago. Later in the season, he earned a 7th place finish at Medina, where he pinned 2015 state placer Eric Bartos (Buckeye) and bested another future state placer, Coleton Chase (Lancaster) in consecutive matches.

-Max Pearce
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-15, 02:07 PM
All World

Lambeau Fields will become famous soon enough
Max -- Great thread. I would add Dublin Scioto HWT Connor Hubschman to that list. He was an understudy to Akutsu (SQ in 13) and Sawicki (SQ in 14, SA in 15).

Last season, he was runner-up at Olentangy, 4th at Marion County, and won the Kevin Cleveland. He had 1st round pins over 2x SQ Gage Archer (Westerville North), Sectional Champ Winston Spiker (Tri-V) and 3x DQ Aron Morefield from Pick Central. Also pinned D3 SQ Seth Douglas in 1st round. Only losses were to 2x SC Troy Caldwell and SQ Sadler (Davidson), both by Decision. He's also wrestled a ton of Greco and FS the past two years and placed 5th at FILA Cadet Greco Nationals this year. I can't see anyone other than Teacher and Crumb being ranked ahead of him in the Central District.
Old 08-19-15, 02:12 PM
All World

And good call on Ana Abduljelil , fun wrestler to watch. Seems like he has been around forever, I guess that's what happens when you make noise as a Freshman. Hope for good things for Ana this year.
Old 08-20-15, 08:05 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambeau Fields View Post
Max -- Great thread. I would add Dublin Scioto HWT Connor Hubschman to that list. He was an understudy to Akutsu (SQ in 13) and Sawicki (SQ in 14, SA in 15).

Last season, he was runner-up at Olentangy, 4th at Marion County, and won the Kevin Cleveland. He had 1st round pins over 2x SQ Gage Archer (Westerville North), Sectional Champ Winston Spiker (Tri-V) and 3x DQ Aron Morefield from Pick Central. Also pinned D3 SQ Seth Douglas in 1st round. Only losses were to 2x SC Troy Caldwell and SQ Sadler (Davidson), both by Decision. He's also wrestled a ton of Greco and FS the past two years and placed 5th at FILA Cadet Greco Nationals this year. I can't see anyone other than Teacher and Crumb being ranked ahead of him in the Central District.
Good call on Hubschman. I have him grouped in with the top heavyweights out of the district, but I had no idea that he beat Archer and Spiker.

I'm impressed by teams like Scioto who always seem to have good heavyweights. Olentangy is another team. They have state finalist Crumb and Jimmy Elmurr who could also qualify for state.
Old 08-20-15, 08:13 AM
Varsity

Dagnabit is on a distinguished road
Wow that took a lot of work. Just wanted to say thanks! Very informative
Old 08-20-15, 09:00 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by McClearn7 View Post
Good call on Hubschman. I have him grouped in with the top heavyweights out of the district, but I had no idea that he beat Archer and Spiker.

I'm impressed by teams like Scioto who always seem to have good heavyweights. Olentangy is another team. They have state finalist Crumb and Jimmy Elmurr who could also qualify for state.
Yeah, Elmurr did awesome while Crumb was injured.

Hard to believe he is an LB in football. I know he was a smallish HWT.

Curious is he goes 220 with Slade graduated. Word is Crumb may not wrestle this year so Elmurr may have his pic of 220 or 285.
Old 03-10-16, 07:35 AM
Junior Varsity

NABOYZ is on a distinguished road
wow, did you use a crystal ball?

Nice job with some of these preseason picks! You hit the bullseye!
Old 03-10-16, 09:38 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by NABOYZ View Post
Nice job with some of these preseason picks! You hit the bullseye!
Thanks for the kind words. It's cool to look back and see how these kids developed over the year.
Old 03-10-16, 10:58 AM
All District

Ratchet is on a distinguished road
Excellent read!!!
Old 03-10-16, 12:07 PM
All American

darthmalice is on a distinguished road
McClearn7, when will you do your next ones to watch for the 2016- 17 season?
Old 03-10-16, 02:52 PM
All Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthmalice View Post
McClearn7, when will you do your next ones to watch for the 2016- 17 season?
I did these in August last year while waiting for the season to start, so I'll probably do them over the summer.

However, I'm more than happy to hear others' opinions on the subject.

I was also thinking of releasing a thread for the best wrestler names in the state, which I did last year.
Old 03-10-16, 03:59 PM
Freshman

TopoftheLineTeam is on a distinguished road
Mcclearn7 you should be a recruiter. You definitely picked some diamonds in the rough. Good eye for talent.
Old 03-10-16, 09:04 PM
All Region

lang78 is on a distinguished road
Can't wait to read next years under the radar guys.....great stuff !
Old 03-10-16, 10:06 PM
All Yappi

Boro Fan is on a distinguished road
Alot of those guys missed last season or the postseason due to certain circumstances and started out ranked very high this Pre-season by myself and Bucksman. You guys act like he found guys no one heard of...
Old 03-10-16, 10:09 PM
All World

Lionattack is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro Fan View Post
Alot of those guys missed last season or the postseason due to certain circumstances and started out ranked very high this Pre-season by myself and Bucksman. You guys act like he found guys no one heard of...

Come On Boro! Don't Steal his Shine!
Old 03-10-16, 10:46 PM
All Ohio

cosh wrestling dad is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Coming from a guy who ranked freshmen that never won a match at oac jr high state SMH nice thread mccleam hope some of your pics make some noise next season
Old 03-10-16, 11:46 PM
All Ohio

Fatman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
You must be related to Marty Brennaman
Old 03-11-16, 12:04 AM
All Yappi

Bucksman and I had almost all of them ranked, or atleast I did, but we didn't make a thread pointing out the ranked kids who didn't participate in the postseason like McClearn, that's all I was saying.
Old 03-11-16, 12:55 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosh wrestling dad View Post
Coming from a guy who ranked freshmen that never won a match at oac jr high state SMH nice thread mccleam hope some of your pics make some noise next season
You always post this but never put the wrestler you're referring to...
Old 03-11-16, 01:09 AM
All Ohio

Quote:
You always post this but never put the wrestler you're referring to...
First of all it wss multiple wrestlers and second I dont do the rankings.
Not saying what you do doesnt require alot of work just cant see how a RANKING GREAT as you have made post trying to prove and comparing yourself to other people who do rankings could not know or have missed that sort of information
Old 03-11-16, 01:14 AM
All Ohio

Btw at no point did mcclem7 say he was ranking or anything of the sort just pointing out some kids HE thought might make some noise next year. You attack him by saying OMG he didnt pick these guys I HAD THEM RANKED BEFORE. Just sayin
Old 03-11-16, 02:37 AM
All Yappi

Who did I rank then? I'm still waiting on a name or names...
Old 03-11-16, 07:24 AM
All District

Ratchet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Zero class
Old 03-11-16, 07:27 AM
All Ohio

chinwhip is on a distinguished road
Borofan is easily the man when it comes to rankings
Old 03-11-16, 07:35 AM
All Ohio

TheStuff142
Borofan...Cmon. please. How many people you gonna accuse of stealing your rankings. Its one state...you Bucks, OWN, and others gonna rank the same kids...there are only so many names. There's not 2000 diamonds in the rough to pick from.

Do you have dibs on all the kids who went hurt this season and will be back next year?

The dude went a different direction and in August...when there are no rankings...he pulled some guys out that he tought would blow up this season. He didn't steal them from you.

You aren't THE man...you are just ONE of the men who rank in ohio. I enjoy your stuff as comparison but lighten up.
Old 03-11-16, 08:41 AM
All District

Knee Tap is on a distinguished road
McClearn7, posted this back in August. I happen to think the did a great job.
Old 03-11-16, 09:16 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStuff142 View Post
Borofan...Cmon. please. How many people you gonna accuse of stealing your rankings. Its one state...you Bucks, OWN, and others gonna rank the same kids...there are only so many names. There's not 2000 diamonds in the rough to pick from.

Do you have dibs on all the kids who went hurt this season and will be back next year?

The dude went a different direction and in August...when there are no rankings...he pulled some guys out that he tought would blow up this season. He didn't steal them from you.

You aren't THE man...you are just ONE of the men who rank in ohio. I enjoy your stuff as comparison but lighten up.
I never said he stole my rankings, as these aren't even rankings, so I must have missed that in my posts... I said he chose highly ranked guys by MYSELF and BUCKSMAN from the previous season who missed the post season. And btw, my first set of Pre-season rankings came out in Mid-June, well before August where u stated no rankings were out yet.

And I didn't accuse OWN, they admitted it hahaha

Last edited by Boro Fan; 03-11-16 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-11-16, 09:21 AM
All World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Tap View Post
McClearn7, posted this back in August. I happen to think the did a great job.
Me too. And I appreciate what he does.
Old 03-11-16, 09:34 AM
All American

the123kidz is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Bucksman and I had almost all of them ranked, or atleast I did, but we didn't make a thread pointing out the ranked kids who didn't participate in the postseason like McClearn, that's all I was saying.
Complete D-baggery of a post.... sometimes it is okay to read a post and not comment at all. MC7 always has informative posts and insights. Just as you and Bucksman do. However I've never seen either post anything remotely close to being dubious towards you.
Old 03-11-16, 09:55 AM
All Yappi

To the few that are getting my point, thank you. To the rest: hahahahaha