Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority  

Go Back   Yappi Sports - THE Ohio Prep Sports Authority > General Sports > General Board

Hello Guest!
Take a minute to register, It's 100% FREE! What are you waiting for?
Register Now

Old 08-30-17, 07:43 AM
All American

14Red is on a distinguished road
700 WLW - the good and bad

Wanted to start this thread, there seems to be a decent sized group on yappi that are from the Cincy area...

What is your good and bad on 700 WLW??
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-17, 08:13 AM
All Yappi

lotr10 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Red View Post
Wanted to start this thread, there seems to be a decent sized group on yappi that are from the Cincy area...

What is your good and bad on 700 WLW??
The Good: Willy & Seg! Mike McConnell and most of the sports talk shows.

The Bad: Way to many commercials. During a commercial break I can go out and cut the lawn and get back without missing anything.
Old 08-30-17, 09:23 AM
All World

Wahoo Sam is on a distinguished road
The best is Ken Broo's Sports Talk on Saturday and Sunday AM. No emotional screaming and yelling just intelligent sports talk. He has interviews with sports writers and bloggers not related to WLW so its new and interesting stuff. He also does a great classic rock features and interviews.

Lance McAlister is also good sports talk.

Bad- Any other sports talk. Eddie Fingers and Tracy Jones. 50 year old guys acting like they're 25.
Old 08-30-17, 10:43 AM
All American

WinstonSmith is on a distinguished road
Tracy Jones is by far the best thing the station offers.
Old 08-30-17, 10:50 AM
All Yappi

TylerDurden is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
Agreed. Take the opposite of everything Wahoo posted and that's pretty much how I feel.
Old 08-30-17, 11:09 AM
All Yappi

eastside_purple is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonSmith View Post
He's literally the only reason to turn the station on at all.
Old 08-30-17, 11:12 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
Take the opposite of everything Wahoo posted and that's pretty much how I feel.
Yeah, pretty much. I can't really stand Lance anymore. Mo Egger is far superior to him.
Old 08-30-17, 12:12 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
Burbank (what's left of him as Earl Pitts), Cunningham, Jones. I used to really like McConnel but ever since he went to Chicago he seems to have turned into a liberal,

I have not been to a baseball game since the strike in the early 90s, but still enjoy Marty though he is turning into a version of Walter M in Grumpy Old Men.
Old 08-30-17, 12:17 PM
All American

D4fan is on a distinguished road
The bad.

Scott (Steve) Sloan. One way I gauge intelligence in a person is what they say about a topic when it is a topic I know something about. Sloan is not a very bright individual but at least he has some humor. I liked him paired with Jones in the pm slot, put Mike back where he belongs and let Sloan get up early and get off the airwaves before I tune in .
Old 08-30-17, 12:33 PM
All Yappi

Auggie is on a distinguished road
When in Cincy I use to listen to WLW a lot, not so much when WVXU went full time with NPR programming. Was not a fan of Gary Burbank, never got the act.
Old 08-30-17, 04:17 PM
All Yappi

thavoice is on a distinguished road
Used to listen almost every waking hour. Willy at night was just crazy. Still enjoyed his afternoon show. Loved Burbank except for the bit they went national. It got too watered down and wasn't as good. Was worried it would suck when he left but love listening to Eddie and tracey. Always liked Jones on extra innings years ago. Never was a fan of the bozo show and Jim Scott in the am was bland.

All the times Willy killed off the bozo, or was suspended by Helen Mayes which always happened when he was going on vacation! And who cannot forget when he was Ra....the sun god? Wlw was just awesome. I switched back to music more than talk.....I don't know imguess it made me feel old listening to talk radio all the time

Always loved mcconnel and his Christmas story. Was a big loss when he left but glad he flopped and came back.
Old 08-30-17, 09:02 PM
All Yappi

PantherVOR is on a distinguished road
Ken Broo weekend shows are great.

Mike McConnell needs to go back to 9-noon, he was a champion in that slot. 5am-9am has too much structured programming for him be great again.

Not a Sloane fan.

Cunningham I can take when he has an actual topic to do, when he doesn't it's generally garbage.

Fingers and Jones are terrible, I know it's all shtick but it's not good shtick. Not surprised the clones are fans.

Lance is a whiner, not what I want in a sports talk host so I rarely listen.

Boiman, mehhhh. They should give him a shot at sports talk but his other responsibilities prohibit that.

Many of the 4 hour time slots are just 2 hours because they repeat the 1st two in the 2nd two.

The news department used to be great. They would actually do investigative news and break news stories. They have pretty much been reduced to reading Enquirer stories every 30 minute minutes (over and over again)

WLW is a shell of what it was in its glory days of the '80s and '90s.
Old 08-30-17, 09:24 PM
All Yappi

EHS 2001 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post

Mike McConnell needs to go back to 9-noon, he was a champion in that slot. 5am-9am has too much structured programming for him be great again.

Not a Sloane fan.

Cunningham I can take when he has an actual topic to do, when he doesn't it's generally garbage.

Fingers and Jones are terrible, I know it's all shtick but it's not good shtick. Not surprised the clones are fans.

Boiman, mehhhh. They should give him a shot at sports talk but his other responsibilities prohibit that.

Many of the 4 hour time slots are just 2 hours because they repeat the 1st two in the 2nd two.

The news department used to be great. They would actually do investigative news and break news stories. They have pretty much been reduced to reading Enquirer stories every 30 minute minutes (over and over again)

What he said.

Cunningham's radio show really suffered while he was doing his TV show. Too much of his show on WLW was either recorded interviews from his Sunday night national show or the same boring guests over and over again. Things have gotten a little bit better now that he's solely on the radio. He's at his best when talking to guests like Joe "TNT" Deters, Mike Allen, or other lawyers.
Old 08-30-17, 10:48 PM
All American

Really enjoy reading all the different opinions about the Big One...

My takes...
Really wasting McConnell in the morings, his strength is interacting with callers. Really need to put him into the 9-12 slot.

Don't listen to Sloanie. Used to listen to Willie more, but not as much now.

Eddie and Tracy are ok in small doses.

Big Lance and Mo fans, I think WLW's sports group is the best ever, and I liked Trumpy/ Collinsworth/ Furman. Lance is just a great guy, family man, sees sports from the fans perspective. Mo is a little rougher but still grass roots. I don't get how anyone can criticize McCallister. Proves you don't have to be butthole to be a sports talk show host.

I like Rocky Boiman, he'll be a nice addition to either Willie's spot or Sloanie, which ever leave first. Rock's conservative and backs it up in a strong way. He's not a dumb jock.

Weekends, I simply can't believe anyone can stand Ken Broo?? He comes across as a know it all, but has little facts to back up his opinion. And his music history is mind numbing...zzzzzzz....zzzzzz... I gotta think they simply can't get anyone else to do those weekend shifts.

Echoing some other thoughts, yes, way too many commercials, but that's what pays the bills. If you're not from the area, they constant traffic updates are useless and waste valuable radio time. They always want people to call in, but it's generally a minumum 20-30 minutes wait because 12 of those 20 minutes is commercials.
Old 08-31-17, 07:03 AM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
The best: Reds baseball coverage

The worst: Reds baseball
Old 08-31-17, 07:13 AM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:

Big Lance and Mo fans, I think WLW's sports group is the best ever, and I liked Trumpy/ Collinsworth/ Furman. Lance is just a great guy, family man, sees sports from the fans perspective. Mo is a little rougher but still grass roots. I don't get how anyone can criticize McCallister. Proves you don't have to be butthole to be a sports talk show host.

Lance is the best SW Ohio has to offer, but that's also not saying a whole lot. He's a baseball guy and you can tell he has to force himself to care about football. He also has a nasty habit of putting himself up on a pedestal and talking down to his audience, particularly on social media. He's pretty good on the radio though, other than the couple times a week he does his high pitched non-nonsensical screaming.
Old 08-31-17, 10:50 AM
All American

^^ You just pointed out all the reasons Lance sucks.
Old 08-31-17, 10:51 AM
All American

Although he plays a very minor role, Tony Pike is great IMO.
Old 08-31-17, 01:41 PM
Freshman

w1llie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherVOR View Post

Not a Sloane fan.

agree with this.
and on the 3-6 show, the stupid 'jokes' about 5th base, Seg's pet gerbil, and replaying some segments from months ago.
Old 08-31-17, 03:46 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplemojo View Post
The best: Reds baseball coverage

The worst: Reds baseball
Now that's funny....
Old 08-31-17, 03:53 PM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
Lance is the best SW Ohio has to offer, but that's also not saying a whole lot. He's a baseball guy and you can tell he has to force himself to care about football. He also has a nasty habit of putting himself up on a pedestal and talking down to his audience, particularly on social media. He's pretty good on the radio though, other than the couple times a week he does his high pitched non-nonsensical screaming.
Interesting, I don't get that from Lance at all. In fact, I rarely if ever hear him shout down a caller - although some should be. Now I do think Lance, who does his research, gets frustrated when knowledgeable fans make points that have 0 merit. One of the easy examples is Homer Bailey. Like him or not, the Reds are not going cut Homer and pay him over $40 million dollars over the next two years. As long as he is healthy, he's taking the ball every 5 days for your Reds. Some fans simply don't understand how these things work, they just want to get rid of players, coaches and GM's. It's easy to waste other people's money.
Old 08-31-17, 04:56 PM
All Yappi

Remember when they stsrted a war with Mike brown? Think it was seg who called Mike shula, the Bengals coach at the time, as sperm lucky?
Old 08-31-17, 04:57 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Interesting, I don't get that from Lance at all. In fact, I rarely if ever hear him shout down a caller - although some should be. Now I do think Lance, who does his research, gets frustrated when knowledgeable fans make points that have 0 merit. One of the easy examples is Homer Bailey. Like him or not, the Reds are not going cut Homer and pay him over $40 million dollars over the next two years. As long as he is healthy, he's taking the ball every 5 days for your Reds. Some fans simply don't understand how these things work, they just want to get rid of players, coaches and GM's. It's easy to waste other people's money.
not so much on air, but definitely on twitter Lance is a bit of an . I'm sure he gets plenty of tweets that probably deserve it, but you'll find him treating a lot who don't the same way.
Old 08-31-17, 05:16 PM
All Yappi

winbypin is on a distinguished road
Haven't listened in a long time so not very familiar with current lineup.

But a separate question...how far away have you been and were able to pickup WLW?

I was travelling around eastern part of Kansas and Nebraska for work one time and was able to pick it up one night when there wasn't local channels coming in.
Old 08-31-17, 05:58 PM
All Yappi

PantherProud
Quote:
Originally Posted by winbypin View Post
Haven't listened in a long time so not very familiar with current lineup.

But a separate question...how far away have you been and were able to pickup WLW?

I was travelling around eastern part of Kansas and Nebraska for work one time and was able to pick it up one night when there wasn't local channels coming in.
I've gotten it in Illinois and Tennessee. Not quite as far as your states.
Old 08-31-17, 06:29 PM
All World

Purplemojo is on a distinguished road
I pick it up routinely in the Toledo area after sundown.
Old 09-01-17, 08:29 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherProud View Post
not so much on air, but definitely on twitter Lance is a bit of an . I'm sure he gets plenty of tweets that probably deserve it, but you'll find him treating a lot who don't the same way.
One problem with Twitter is that you have a very limited number of characters to make a point, you about have to be blunt. Not always a bad thing.
Old 09-01-17, 08:31 AM
All American

Quote:
Originally Posted by thavoice View Post
Remember when they stsrted a war with Mike brown? Think it was seg who called Mike shula, the Bengals coach at the time, as sperm lucky?
The Burbank spoofs of "All My Bengals" were classic radio. Most were done in good fun. The nice thing about Burbank is that he picked on everyone, not just certain people.
Old 09-01-17, 01:02 PM
All World

Gh0st is on a distinguished road
I agree with whoever said the commercials. In a 20-30 min drive to and from work I might can hear maybe 5 minutes of talk radio in between all the news breaks and commercials.
Old 09-03-17, 02:06 AM
All Yappi

Quote:
The Burbank spoofs of "All My Bengals" were classic radio. Most were done in good fun. The nice thing about Burbank is that he picked on everyone, not just certain people.
you said it wrong. Aaaaaalllllllll. Myyyyyyyyyyuu. Beeeeengaaaaaaalllls!

Yes it was classic. That isn't where he sperm lucky comment came feom. Andy furman said it when he was with wily I think. Then of course like he does he used that snippet of re

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: